LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
On this pic it seems they forget the air intakes on the jet trainer and add it at the last moment....
Ya'll Nibbiars It's one of the most difficult configuration can have in a jet trainer. Due to this configuration the project was canceled and now after many years of canceling the project its was rejuvenated.

Photon

Country flag
Welcome to "Kerala" dear, first time desi bird in kerala

The Maverick

Country flag
At this rate I fully expect
the mark order to be completed by 2024 earliest
mark1a between 2025 and 2031

mark2 to arrive in 2032 finishing 2040

Amca mark 1 by 2040
Amca mark 2 by 2050

LakshmanPST7

Country flag
I don't know if someone already posted this here before or not, new picture of LCA sp 26
View attachment 106008
The funny part is so many discussions going on whether it is 6 th FOC or 10 th, so I remember sp19 picture from past
View attachment 106000

Here we can see new nomenclature methodology adopted after sp17, so am sure sp26 is 10th FOC
Another interesting question is if it is 10 th FOC where is rest of 6 , to be honest any one who visited hal Bangalore knows hal LCA division don't have very big storage hanger for LCA, the current one they have already occupied by LSP and prototype LCA the most available space of ready to fly focs will be maximum 3 or 4,so is IAF inducted LCA FOC aircarfts under secrecy?
If I remember correctly, both HAL and IAF changed to new designations few months back...
HAL used the new designations for a brief period of time in 2020 but reverted back to older designations again...
As far as IAF is concerned, what matters for them is the tail number and similar number reflected on other locations like wheel doors etc.... They are least concerned about internal SP numbers of HAL...
This particular jet in which the VP embarked is SP26 (new designation SP22)... Coz. the number on the wheel door is 22 which is the new designation...
-
Just for information...
Older designations SP 21, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 36 are to be rolled out from LCA division...
Older designations SP 23, 25, 27, 29, 34 and 35 are to be rolled out from Aircraft division...
-
The last jet to take first flight was SP 26 sometime in March 2021 and that was from LCA division...
The next 3 jets in line are SP27, SP28 and SP30...
-
From LCA division, the next two jets are SP28 and SP30... So, it is entirely possible that SP30 (new designation SP26) is assembled in the last 5 months...
However, it will be the 9th FOC jet, not the 10th one...

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
I have been following the discussions here avidly. I have a fair amount of experience in DRDO, HAL and PSUs.

I find that we are going through a phase where HAL, ADA and ADE can do no wrong.

This seemingly irrational exuberance and confidence in the capabilities of these behemoths is not based on long term performance. This has happened earlier too.

The shoddy working environment in these organisations always lets down Services. All high hopes were always belied till now. Bouquets are always followed by brickbats. And, vice versa.

I have seen no significant changes in these organisations in last few years that suggest to me that these organisations will do now what they could not do in the past. Nothing significant at all.

The solution is either part or full privatisation and listing on stock market or introduction of another PSU in this field that will introduce competition. The monopoly always introduces huge inefficiencies.

However, I defer to the wisdom of the people here who follow these programmes very closely. They must have seen something that I have missed completely.

Thank you.
I did my internship at DRDO. :puke:
Unless they are fully privatized with new management ...they will always be 2-3 generations behind the current state-of-art.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Unless they are fully privatized with new management ...they will always be 2-3 generations behind the current state-of-art.
Privatise a research agency/labs? Ever heard of the US privatising DARPA? If you said HAL, BDL, BHEL, HSL etc then it would be reasonable to talk about.

Last edited:

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars you and your DRDO internship you have run this tape many times. :dude:

Spitfire9

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars you and your DRDO internship you have run this tape many times. :dude:
First time I have read this.

Have you ever dealt with government at local, regional, national level? Or government-owned entities? Or small, medium, large, multinational companies? Or the MOD or armed forces? I have dealt with all and in my experience the most inefficient were

1 MOD + armed forces
2 Government at all levels + government-owned entities

...so what Apollyon says about DRDO echoes true to me.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Well it's not DRDOs fault that indian private companies don't do any R&D but recently things have started to change.
I would say our me need a complete overhaul in our mentality. We are still stuck in trading mindset. Companies are not ready to invest time and money in R&D till they have confident of orders (which is understandable). MoD needs to finance these projects;.

Articles