LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Noob Question: Why MK1 integration with Python prioritized?

Shouldn't the priority be Derby-ER (Simpler I guess), ASTRA, Gun possibly.
Best of the line IR missile for CCM plus cost benefit over expensive ASRAAM.

Other than that having advantage during war in case we runout of missile we can look at friendly nation to provide us from their stock.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
If Derby-ER is used then using Python-5 over ASRAAM is preferable (R-73 has failed to even hit flares in exercises)... But with Astra Mk1, ASRAAM would be the better partner.

I think this is how these missiles are going to be used.

Python : under 30 km

ASRAAM under 40/50 km Derby under 50 km Astra mk1

Derby ER under 100 km

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I think this is how these missiles are going to be used.

Python : under 30 km

ASRAAM under 40/50 km Derby under 50 km Astra mk1

Derby ER under 100 km
There's rarely that much (unnecessary) variety.

Astra outranges regular Derby... Could probably be used upto 100km. And ASRAAM would make Python-5 redundant at IR guided launches under 50km. If ASRAAM is to be standardised over IAF fleet, then Derby won't enjoy much cost advantage either.
Plus it will only be used if ASRAAM is not & Derby-ER is (for logistics reasons).

That makes me think Derby/Python combo just a stopgap option until Astra Mk2/IR & ASRAAM are available in numbers.

Last edited:

WARREN SS

Country flag

Astra outranges regular Derby... Could probably be used upto 100km. And ASRAAM would make Python-5 redundant at IR guided launches under 50km. If ASRAAM is to be standardised over IAF fleet, then Derby won't enjoy much cost advantage either.
Plus it will only be used if ASRAAM is not & Derby-ER is (for logistics reasons).

That makes me think Derby/Python combo just a stopgap option until Astra Mk2/IR & ASRAAM are available in numbers.
Point is technically Derby is 1 stage ahead as it uses dual pulse motor that gives you edge in NEZ

So we have to wait for Astra mk2.

Brochure range of missile is count less
What matter is NEZ of missile.

Astra mk1 is par with AIM-120C5
In nez though its has better Seeker and ECCM capabilities.

MICA RF is also good contender with 360 degree lock on ability dur TVC
And good NEZ
Its EM version is will be out with Rafale F4

ASRAAM and MICA will be good combo
Compared to Derby/Asraam.

As both are MBDA products.

We need to build a Air supriorty Formation based
On technology.
I find LCA will integrate better with Rafale than MKI.

Because both are Delta's and use western technologies.

Flying Dagger

Country flag

Astra mk1 max range is 110 km so I doubt it will be use for 100 km range

Even Derby ER range is similar to AIM 120 D But 100km is the quoted range because that's where the missile will be useful. Similarly Derby range is more than 50 km but use under 50 km.

Since there is no use firing a missile at its max range.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Can any one tell me why some A2A missile have TVC while some don't.
Generally short range CCM needs it to compensate for poorly launched angle. Many missile like Mica which are bvr use them too since MICA IR is both CCM and bvr with range upto 60 km.

Under 30 km : CCM

Increase in cost is another factor.

Python use controlling surfaces instead of TVC .

Let me give you an e.g. of two missiles coming out of European stable.

ASRAAM is a BVR where UK believe range is more important due to their experience in Falklands war. Australia has also deployed it as for them too range was more important. Range under 50 km

But another missile IRIS T with TVC from Germany and co emphasized on CCM so they wanted a more agile missile. With range under 30 km

Out of these MICA IR is a better missile which compensated for both by having a 60 km range missile with TVC but it's cost is pretty high to operate in large numbers.

Remember war is a game of economics too.

WARREN SS

Country flag
I have been to every page no such thing here.

You can easily find it on other forum like BRF
And SF
Here is the link

Try harder next time

[/URL]

Reactions: SKC

WARREN SS

Country flag
I have been to every page no such thing here.

Here is a past discussion

One more

Flying Dagger

Country flag
You can easily find it on other forum like BRF
And SF
Here is the link

Try harder next time

[/URL]
This link redirect to another one...

Here is a past discussion

One more
The DFI link you posted don't give any link or source for 1m2 for 180 km claim. Infact post by Karthi only provide official estimate and debunk your own claim.

The other one is just a reproduced article even they mention it is just a rumor.

Tejas TRM will be around 800-850 max not 1500 . Jags have 700-750 around which was confirmed by HVT on twitter.

Even Rafale with slightly bigger nose don't have 1500 but 854 with max capability of 1000 TRM which it might have now.

Elta is a GaS based AESA though it might be possible by the time Mk1a come into play they will introduce GaN version. Then we may be able to add 50-70% on the range .

But 180 km for 1 m2 ?

WARREN SS

Country flag

The DFI link you posted don't give any link or source for 1m2 for 180 km claim. Infact post by Karthi only provide official estimate and debunk your own claim.

The other one is just a reproduced article even they mention it is just a rumor.

Tejas TRM will be around 800-850 max not 1500 . Jags have 700-750 around which was confirmed by HVT on twitter.

Even Rafale with slightly bigger nose don't have 1500 but 854 with max capability of 1000 TRM which it might have now.

Elta is a GaS based AESA though it might be possible by the time Mk1a come into play they will introduce GaN version. Then we may be able to add 50-70% on the range .

But 180 km for 1 m2 ?
I quoted 150-180km for 1m2
Read again

Its assumed figure just like 150-200 km 1m2

So far its not confirmed by any source that what will the TRM configuration
For m1A

All are assumptions based discussions by various defense enthusiasts and defense experts

Isn't your are the poster
Who claimed elta range is 150 for 3 m2
Then deleted your own post later :pound::rofl:

When its clear that all western experts
Calculate there radars detections on universal 1m2 RCS figure.

PS:Its GAas not GAs ment for Gallium arsenide (GaAs) which is semiconductor material:megusta:

Last edited:

WARREN SS

Country flag

But 180 km for 1 m2 ?
I already answered your question last time
Now I remembered you
Discussed in from page 155 to 160
On noose cone

It Doesn't Matter Even With 100 Km Tracking Is Enough For fighter Like LCA Due to its Low RCS
And T/R modules Will 1000 T/R Similar to Vixen

Nose cone Of LCA Is Similar To Gripen- E

1610910968729.png

1610911190530.png

Last edited:

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I quoted 150-180km for 1m2
Read again

Its assumed figure just like 150-200 km 1m2

So far its not confirmed by any source that what will the TRM configuration
For m1A

All are assumptions based discussions by various defense enthusiasts and defense experts

Isn't your are the poster
Who claimed elta range is 150 for 3 m2
Then deleted your own post later :pound::rofl:

When its clear that all western experts
Calculate there radars detections on universal RCS figure.

PS:Its GAas not GAs ment for Gallium arsenide (GaAs) which is semiconductor material:megusta:
Not assumed by any source what will be the TRM ?

😂

Between before you pour more of your knowledge visit Twitter feed of HVT who is test pilot of HAL .

+ Slight correction on jag TR modules of Elta 2052 AESA arent 750 but lesser.

One can guesstimate by the size of Tejas Nose in comparison to Jags or Rafale how many TR they may have since both Elta and European radars are of comparable gen when it comes to packing of tr module.

So 750-850 TR modules is what Tejas may have.

Even Rafale doesn't have 1500 .

Isn't you are the poster ?

What does that fcukin mean ??

I don't recall but if I have deleted something that means I have deleted it.

Regarding 150 km for 3 M2 target thats a realistic range considering 2 or 3 M2 is considered to be fighter size target

And my post is right there there even there I have confirm the TR modules are around 800.

With UTTAM AESA We may have slightly higher TR since it will be designed from the beginning to fit on the nose cone of Tejas.

And why I am saying 180 km ?

Well just went through the old post there you mentioned 180-250 km range for 1m2 . Just wondering how did this 70 km reduction in range happens?

Last edited:

WARREN SS

Country flag
Not assumed by any source what will be the TRM ?

😂

Between before you pour more of your knowledge visit Twitter feed of HVT who is test pilot of HAL .

+ Slight correction on jag TR modules of Elta 2052 AESA arent 750 but lesser.

One can guesstimate by the size of Tejas Nose in comparison to Jags or Rafale how many TR they may have since both Elta and European radars are of comparable gen when it comes to packing of tr module.

So 750-850 TR modules is what Tejas may have.

Even Rafale doesn't have 1500 .

Isn't you are the poster ?

What does that fcukin mean ??

I don't recall but if I have deleted something that means I have deleted it.

Regarding 150 km for 3 M2 target thats a realistic range considering 2 or 3 M2 is considered to be fighter size target

And my post is right there there even there I have confirm the TR modules are around 800.

With UTTAM AESA We may have slightly higher TR since it will be designed from the beginning to fit on the nose cone of Tejas.
Realistic range
Or assumed 😏

First learn
1m2 is official recognized
Figure for all radar calculations For western radars

Whether its APG 80 or Captor or RBE2 of Thales

Gripen has 1000 TRM modules for same nose cone
For Vixen

Like I said all are source based assumptions
It's still not confirmed what will be TRM configuration of LCA mk1A

Like I explained you. all claims are conjecture & source based information by defense experts

Military or OEM will never do de classification of trade and military secrets like Radar range
Or detections or rcs figures

Point is, you are just pointing out me
When all defense experts do rumor based reporting and discussions
Based on sources

"Vo kare toh chamatkaar hum kare to Balaatkar"

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles