LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

piKacHHu

Country flag
Well, you shouldn't use arguments like this:
"As the Beyond Visual Range (BVR) missile in the HAL-built indigenous Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) is still under induction, it can be classified as 3.5+ generation."
Did you read that post or the article I referred? That was IAF official statement, not my argument, that too in the Supreme Court for testimony. For your understanding , I am posting that snippet from the article.

"CJI: What is the latest fighter aircraft being inducted in the IAF?

ACAS: Su30MKI. Ongoing production till 2021, being delivered by the HAL.

CJI: Manufactured in Bangalore?

ACAS: No Sir. These are being manufactured at HAL Nashik Division. In addition, LCA is being manufactured in Bangalore and is being inducted into the IAF. I have been an LCA pilot and it is an excellent aircraft.

CJI:
Which generation of fighter are these?

ACAS:
Sir, there is no clear-cut definition of Generation of aircraft.

CJI:
You are a fighter pilot you give me your assessment

ACAS:
I would say between 4th and 3rd generation, 3.5 plus (Sukhoi is 4th Generation, LCA 3.5 plus because its BVR missile is under induction)

CJI:
Which generation of fighters are in the world today fifth and sixth?

ACAS: Currently aircraft are of 5th generation. These have stealth features and have advanced electronic warfare systems"

It clearly suggests that IAF point of view (in fact, he's been the pilot of Tejas), BVR capability or may be Air refueling is essence of any 4th Generation; that's what I was highlighting for IOC Tejas.
For all those knowledge, you shared about 4,4+, 4++ are already explained in the infographics in a much better way.
I would neither accept or reject Mk1A classification as 4++ as any critical observation or comparison about it leads to unwanted name calling (As there seems to be many LM/Boeing Design engineers active on this thread to disparage your POV). Would rather wait for its First Flight and observation of IAF pilots who would actually experience it.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Did you read that post or the article I referred? That was IAF official statement, not my argument, that too in the Supreme Court for testimony. For your understanding , I am posting that snippet from the article.

"CJI: What is the latest fighter aircraft being inducted in the IAF?

ACAS: Su30MKI. Ongoing production till 2021, being delivered by the HAL.

CJI: Manufactured in Bangalore?

ACAS: No Sir. These are being manufactured at HAL Nashik Division. In addition, LCA is being manufactured in Bangalore and is being inducted into the IAF. I have been an LCA pilot and it is an excellent aircraft.

CJI:
Which generation of fighter are these?

ACAS:
Sir, there is no clear-cut definition of Generation of aircraft.

CJI:
You are a fighter pilot you give me your assessment

ACAS:
I would say between 4th and 3rd generation, 3.5 plus (Sukhoi is 4th Generation, LCA 3.5 plus because its BVR missile is under induction)

CJI:
Which generation of fighters are in the world today fifth and sixth?

ACAS: Currently aircraft are of 5th generation. These have stealth features and have advanced electronic warfare systems"

It clearly suggests that IAF point of view (in fact, he's been the pilot of Tejas), BVR capability or may be Air refueling is essence of any 4th Generation; that's what I was highlighting for IOC Tejas.
For all those knowledge, you shared about 4,4+, 4++ are already explained in the infographics in a much better way.
I would neither accept or reject Mk1A classification as 4++ as any critical observation or comparison about it leads to unwanted name calling (As there seems to be many LM/Boeing Design engineers active on this thread to disparage your POV). Would rather wait for its First Flight and observation of IAF pilots who would actually experience it.
So only one statement made by IAF matters? What about those statement which were given by chief of IAF after robust exercises.

With time tejas matured many countries have inducted half backed products just ask Chinese about this. You cannot roll out battle tested products from day one you can buy foreign made battle tested equipments but they always come with a cost.

Non of the aircraft is cocked and baked from day one they require subtle changes at every single step just check F-35 thread.

Tejas have now achieved FOC its now capable of mid air refuelling and firing BVRM.

Silent criticism is always good but biased bashing is not.
FOC is achieved eventually every aircraft will be updated to that but you are still stuck with the assessments which were made for IOC 👏👏👏

Last edited:

piKacHHu

Country flag
So only one statement made by IAF matters? What about those statement which were given by chief of IAF after robust exercises.

With time tejas matured many countries have inducted half backed products just ask Chinese about this. You cannot roll out battle tested products from day one you can buy foreign made battle tested equipments but they always come with a cost.

Non of the aircraft is cocked and baked from day one they require subtle changes at every single step just check F-35 thread.

Tejas have now achieved FOC its now capable of mid air refuelling and firing BVRM.

Silent criticism is always good but biased bashing is not.
FOC is achieved eventually every aircraft will be updated to that but you are still stuck with the assessments which were made for IOC 👏👏👏
Don't jump to unwarranted conclusions; I have already started hating this discourse bogged down to meaningless response/counter response.
1. Check the post I am addressing to; That guy was attributing the statement made by IAF in SC as an argument pitched by me for classifying IOC Tejas as 3.5++. The hearing however doesn't talk about the version of Tejas, but I deduced that the IAF may be referring to IOC version. Perhaps they will change its classification for FOC or Mk1A version (Itlaics--My opinion).
2. It's not a statement of a test pilot or any HAL PM, it's the statement of the end user i.e. IAF and represented in the court by AVM level officer as ACM Dhanoa was not available for hearing. Their words matter. In fact, I have pointed out that IAF acted too harshly on Tejas IOC despite the fact that the BVR, Sensors & Air refueling capabilities could be augmented or added as has been done in the FOC version. Rating it below 4th gen is a great disservice to this aircraft provided that our adversary is flaunting its Mig 21 based Al-alloy structure fighter (JF-17) as 4+ gen aircraft in the airshows.
3. Comparison to Eurocanards is quite premature as the Mk1A first flight is yet to happen, whereas all the three are flying with incorporation of several upgrades.
4. IMO, indigenous development is the only hard way to achieve self reliance; whether we get sub-optimal results in first or two iterations , it doesn't matter. I am sure engineers at ADA would be striving hard for continuous improvement to achieve the finalized technical specification.

Last edited:

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Lockdown and Pandemic hits LCA-Tejas Production

Published May 15, 2020 | By admin SOURCE: RAUNAK KUNDE / NEWS BEAT / IDRW.ORG State-owned HAL after lockdown has commenced its operations and production line of indigenous LCA-Tejas MK1 fighter jet was restarted but as per media reports it is not moving at the pace like before and the supply of some of the components from foreign suppliers are also hit due to Chinese virus situation. SP-21 which now has been given new tail number SP-17 will be carrying out a few more mandatory flight test before it is handed over to IAF and SP-22 (SP-18) which has completed its integration and currently has been moved to Paint workshop to get a new paint coat before it commences Low and High-speed trial before it is cleared for the first flight by the first week of June. SP-23 (SP-19) and SP-24 (SP-19) both are almost 80% and 70 % ready but are waiting for the supply of a few components that will push their first flights to July. Work on SP-25 (SP-20) is almost halted and likely to resume in June, while the assemble jig already has SP-31 (SP-26) for the integration work but the slow pace will affect the original delivery schedule. Delays in delivery of first four FOC Cerftited Tejas Mk1 will also delay the creation of the Second Squadron of the LCA-Tejas in IAF which was initially planned in April, now likely in August or September.

(SED REACTS ONLY ☹☹☹)

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
MOD Babus at it again...
View attachment 47907
This is OT, but I will reply. The problem is that NaMo DOES NOT REPLACE the existing babus who are used to scams and earning money through corruption from the Congress ecosystem. This in my opinion has been the biggest failure of namo govt. Not dismantling the corrupt Babu+congi ecosystem which is akin to a deep state and which is severely halting our progress as a nation !
I still remember NaMo making a stmt when he was first elected as PM or during a pre 2014 interview - "we shall work with whoever there is" and felt this will not work at the centre. And I still feel the same way. Sabka saath doesn't work shit as far as roaches and babus are concerned

Kchontha

Country flag
Tejas was rammed down iaf throat by Manohar Parikar otherwise it was heading marut way due to presurre from currupt Babus, dalals, paid media etc ect. On the other hand iaf was trying to manned all its Air combat aircraft assets with shiny n expensive toys n they even names it such as mig 21 replacement or a 3rd gen àircraft etc etc but Tejas rises and will continue to rise.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Wait...guys, did no one notice this..?
32336367977_518d9cf6e0_b~2.jpg

:scared2:
It seems like they have integrated a miniaturised version of the DRDO Netra AEW&CS's radar on tejas mk1a prototype, giving it aesa radar coverage on the sides in addition to the nose mounted Elta EL/M-2052.
:clap2:Additionally this structure also improves the area rule in the aft section considerably reducing wave drag, improving both STR and ITR, especially in vaccum. These additional capabilities should propel tejas mk1a from the previous 4.5 gen to about 4.75 gen...This is going to be a big capability booster for the IAF in the coming decades.... :devil: :cool1:

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Manohar Parrikar tried to Ram down Tejas unto the throat of IAF. IAF skillfully resisted and delayed production clearance of FOC for 2 years. And has now delayed ordering LCA MKIA for last 1 year. From order to roll out of LCA MKIA, there will be minimum gap of 4 years. No order for LCA has been given in last 10 years. FOC was ordered & funded in 2010.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
View attachment 47943
It seems like they have integrated a miniaturised version of the DRDO Netra AEW&CS's radar on tejas mk1a prototype, giving it aesa radar coverage on the sides in addition to the nose mounted Elta EL/M-2052.
:clap2:Additionally this structure also improves the area rule in the aft section considerably reducing wave drag, improving both STR and ITR, especially in vaccum. These additional capabilities should propel tejas mk1a from the previous 4.5 gen to about 4.75 gen...This is going to be a big capability booster for the IAF in the coming decades.... :devil: :cool1:
Literally, just zoom into the picture dude.
😑🤦🏽‍♂️
It’s the netra awacs sitting behind. You can see the wingtip of the embraer on the left side. Seriously man...🤦🏽‍♂️

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
"we shall work with whoever there is"
Government come and go the Babus remain in the office for eternity.
Most gov functions are in a shitty state tanks to them.

Just to name a few.
1)BRO (This is one was sorted out few years ago and doing a fine job now)
2) PWD (They are the one responsible for your broken roads,briges, gov offices, Hospitals etc)
3)OFB(Don't need fo explain this)
4)Helath department
5)CBI
6)IRS
7)Railway board
9)Eduaction department
10)IB
11) Broadcasting committee

Cuckendra Modi chickened out by not making cds into a 5 star general. This would have given us an additional edge on babus in the defence department.

Unpopular Opinion: Corrupt niggas in government offices are worse than terrorists.

View attachment 47943

piKacHHu

Country flag
Literally, just zoom into the picture dude.
😑🤦🏽‍♂️
It’s the netra awacs sitting behind. You can see the wingtip of the embraer on the left side. Seriously man...🤦🏽‍♂️
He was trolling !!

"Additionally this structure also improves the area rule in the aft section considerably reducing wave drag, improving both STR and ITR, especially in vaccum. "

I like it the most, especially the vacuum part .. :rofl:

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
He was trolling !!

"Additionally this structure also improves the area rule in the aft section considerably reducing wave drag, improving both STR and ITR, especially in vaccum. "

I like it the most, especially the vacuum part .. :rofl:
Was he really trolling though? 😂

It sounded like he was pretty serious

piKacHHu

Country flag
Was he really trolling though? 😂

It sounded like he was pretty serious
May be dark humor or sarcasm.. You can get such stuff on Huskit aviation blog; he writes really good humorous/sarcastic pieces on aviation.

Even though one can assume a fighter sporting antennas like AWACS, but increasing STR/ITR in Vacuum is a definite evidence of Trolling. May be he is referring to lift generated due to Dark matter in space or vacuum (sarcasm).

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Define real😏.
Well, this is real.....:cruisin2:

View attachment 47943

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
View attachment 47943
Screenshot_20200516_102045.jpg

On a serious note:

Can a miniaturized side looking AESA radar, be fitted on vertical stabiliser of 5th gen fighter jets?.. Wouldn't it be better than Russian rear look tail-radars?

Last edited:

Articles