Lachit Borphukan, the Assamese general who humbled the mighty Mughal army.

asingh10

The Mughal empire expanded to it’s zenith, under Aurangzeb, who pushed it’s boundaries to the farthest extent. And yet paradoxically, the seeds of the empire’s destruction were also sown during his reign. One of the reasons was his own religious bigotry, and his intolerance towards Hindus, that alienated large sections of them. His imposition of Jizaya, destruction of temples, open hatred towards Hindus and above all the way he brutally tortured and killed his own brother Dara Shikoh, who favored a tolerant approach to all religions, alienated many. And the revolts broke out one by one, the Sikhs after Guru Teg Bahadur was beheaded, when he refused to hand over the Kashmir Pandits. The Marathas under Shivaji harassed the mighty Mughal army with guerilla raids, taking back vast tracts of territory. And to the east was the Ahom kingdom of Assam.

While a lot is known about the Marathas, and the valor of Shivaji, not much is really known about the Ahoms, and their spirited resistance to the Mughals. From 1615 when the Mughal Army attacked the Ahom Kingdom to the Battle of Itakhuli in 1682 that saw a decisive Ahom victory, which resulted in the Mughal retreat. The animosity between the Ahoms and the Mughal empire went long back, one of the primary factors being their alliance with their rival Koch Behar kingdom. Another factor was the aggressive Mughal imperialism, that sought to expand it’s territory into the North East starting with Assam. The Mughals considered the territory east of Barnadi up to Singri as part of their empire, added to it the rich natural resources of Assam too. The very first foray the Mughals made into Assam, at Kajali in 1615, ended in disaster, when the Ahoms regrouped after an initial loss, and reoccupied it, sending the Mughals back. While there was a brief lull in hostilities, the conflict again rose it’s head under Shahjahan’s reign. One was the asylum given by the Ahom king to the hill chiefs of Dhanikal fleeing from the tyrannical Bengal subedar Qasim Khan Chisti. Towards December 1636, Kamrup was occupied by the Mughals, though a gallant resistance was put up by the residents of Samdhara fort. The treaty of Asurar Ali signed in 1639, between the Ahom general Momai Tamuli Borbarua and Allah Yar Khan, saw the entire Western part of Assam, till Gauhati pass under Mughal control. When Shahjahan fell ill, and his sons were caught in a bloody war of succession, the Ahom king Jayadhwaj Singha, took advantage of it, and chased out the Mughals from Assam, and reoccupied the entire Western region till Gauhati.

Lachit Borphukhan

One of the greatest warriors Assam, had seen, their own Shivaji and Rana Pratap, was born to Momai Tamuli Borbarua, the commander in chief of the Ahom army. Borbarua was an office created by Pratap Singha, the Ahom king, also known as Sushengpaa, whose reign saw the expansion of the Ahom kingdom and was also regarded as a great administrator. In a sense, Pratap Singha, laid down the basic administrative structure of the Ahom rulers, which was followed after him. He was also successful in forging an alliance with Koch Hajo, the kingdom of the Koch rulers which lay between the Sankosh and Bareli rivers. It was Pratap Singha,who created the offices of Borphukan and Borbarua in addition to the existing offices of Burhagohain,Borgohain and Borpatrogohain. They were collectively called the 5 Patra Mantris. While Borphukan and Borbarua, respectively governed the areas west and east of the Kaliabor River, Borgohain administered the region south of the Dikhow river, while Burhagohain, the northern side of the river. The Borpatragohain administered the region from Dafala Hills to the Brahmaputra.

Momai Tamuli started from very humble origins as a bondsman, and he was noticed by the Ahom ruler Pratap Singha, who pleased with his hard work, appointed him as the Bar Tamuli or the superintendent of Royal Gardens. His real name was Sukuti, he got his name from his position Tamuli and the fact that he was affectionately called as Momai( maternal uncle in Assamese). He rose to prominence during the Mughal wars, due to his bravery and foresight, played a crucial rule in the Treaty of Asurar Ali, so much that a Mughal envoy remarked “If the Ahom ruler is a veritable Mahadeva, Momai Tamuli is his Nandi, and with them together, it is impossible to conquer that land”. Tamuli also played a major role in the administration and governance of the Ahom kingdom.

It was to such an illustrious man, that a great son was born, Lachit Borphukan, who would rise to become one of the greatest heroes of Assam, and one of the symbols of resistance to the the Mughal rule. When one writes of the history of resistance to the Mughals, Lachit Borphukan’s name would be there right up with Shivaji and Rana Pratap. Educated in humanities, military skills and scriptures, he was first given position of Soladhara Barua, the scarf bearer of the Ahom swargdeo. In due course he also held various positions like Ghora Barua( In charge of Royal Stable), commander of Simulgarh Fort and Dolakaxaria Barua( Superintendent of Royal Household Guards) to Chakradwaj Singha. He first came into prominence when he recovered Gauhati from the Mughals in 1667, and was presented with the Hengdang a gold plated sword.

Battle of Saraighat

Lachit Borphukan would however be come to known due to his valor in the Battle of Saraighat, one of the worst defeats the Mughal Army would ever face. Saraighat would be remembered for the victory of a much smaller Ahom army over the mighty Mughal Army, through a combination of tactical brilliance, guerilla warfare and intelligence gathering. In a sense Saraighat would be the last attempt by the Mughals to extend their empire into Assam.

The background to Saraighat was the humiliating Treaty of Ghilajarighat, in 1663, which while returning Garhgaon back to the Ahoms, came at a heavy cost. As per the treaty, Jayadwaj Singha had to send one of his daughters to the imperial Mughal harem, supply 90 elephants, 300,000 tolas of silver and cede the entire region to the west of Bareli river on the north bank of Brahmaputra and Kalang on the South to Delhi. Jayadwaj Singha died heart broken due to the humiliation caused by the defeat at the hands of the Bengal Subedar Mir Jumla. His successor Chakradwaj Singha, vowed to regain the honor of the Ahoms, and began a complete overhaul of the kingdom. It was during this time that Lachit was made the commander of the Army, which was undergoing a total restructuring. The alliances were renewed with the Jaintia and Kachari kingdoms and in August 1667, Lachit accompanied by Atan Burhagohain, undertook a downstream expedition on Brahmaputra, to retake Gauhati.

Making Kaliabor his base camp, Lachit ensured Bahbari was retaken in Sept 1667, while the entire region between Gauhati and Kapili river too was reconquered. Gauhati was attacked from the river banks, and the Shah Buruz, Rangamahal forts were occupied. On Nov 4, 1667 Itakhuli was taken in a daring mid night assault by the Ahoms, and many of it’s defenders were massacred. The Ahoms went in hot pursuit of the Mughal forces, Firuz Khan, the faujdar of Gauhati was taken as prisoner, and with the help of river warfare, removed the Mughals from Umananda and Barhat.

Alarmed at the losses, Aurangzeb, sent a huge army under the command of Raja Ram Singh, son of the Amber Raja, Mirza Raja Jai Singh to retake Gauhati. By February 1669, Ram Singh reached Rangamati, accompanied by Rashid Khan and the Sikhs under Guru Tegh Bahadur. It was a massive army with 4000 troopers, 30,000 infantry men, 21 Rajput chiefs with their contingents, 18,000 cavalry, 2000 archers and 40 ships. On getting wind of the information Lachit broke down, wondering how the Ahom kingdom could withstand the assault of such a mighty army. In addition the forces of Koch Bihar too joined the ranks, making the Ahoms virtually outnumbered.

It was in such a dire situation, that Lachit showed his tactical brilliance. Knowing very well that the Ahoms had no chance in an open plains battle, he choose Gauhati with it’s hilly terrain. The only way up to Gauhati from the east was the Brahmaputra river. At Saraighat was where the Brahmaputra was at it’s narrowest point just a width of 1 km, ideal for naval defense. While the Mughal army was the strongest on land, especially in open plains, their weakest point was their navy. Lachit set up a series of mud embankments in Gauhati, and ensured that the Mughals would be forced to take the river route to the city. Andharubali between Kamakhya and Sukreshwar hills was where Lachit would set up his HQ and monitor the war operations.

Lachit then planned a strategic retreat to Gauhati, ensuring that the Mughal forces were in sight, but their weapons could not reach. The Mughals had 4 divisions one headed by Ram Singh( North bank), Ali Akbar Khan headed the South bank, the entrance to the Sindhurighopa was headed by Jahir Beg and the Baruas from Koch Bihar, while the naval commanders led by Mansur Khan guarded the river.

The Ahoms on the other hand were allied with the Jaintias, Garos, Nagas, the Rani of Darrang and above all the monsoon. Atan Burhagohain commanded the North bank, while Lachit himself commanded the Southern bank. Atan harassed the Mughal army periodically with dagga judha(Guerilla warfare) periodically, in the lead up to the battle. In the meantime there was a fiercely fought skirmish at Alaboi, where the Ahoms faced a major reversal with around 10,000 Ahom soldiers massacred. A last ditch attempt to persuade the Ahom ruler Chakradwaj Singha to surrender peacefully failed when Atan Burhagohain rejected it saying there was no guarantee, that Aurangzeb would abide by Ram Singh’s proposal.

With peace talks failing, Ram Singh now made the final assault on Gauhati, with the reinforcements arriving in the shape of war vessels and imperial officers. Moving along the North bank, he was joined by ships with artillery and archers under 5 Rajput Sardars. The Ahoms already demoralized by their loss at Alboi, had to face another blow when Lachit himself was seriously ill. The battle started on both land and water at Ashwarkanta, Laluk Phukan, pushed back the Mughals, but their naval forces, compelled the Ahom boats to retreat further. With the Mughals getting dangerously close to Andharubali, the Ahoms retreated further back to Kajali and Samdhara. And this is when Lachit Borphukan stood up to be counted, disregarding his illness. He sent orders for all the land and naval forces to attack, ordered 7 war boats for himself. “The King has put all the people in my hands to fight the Bongal” he thundered, as he headed towards the battle.

Lachit’s entry had an electrifying impact on the Ahom soldiers, who now attacked the Mughals fiercely. Ahom warships now began to attack the Mughal navy from all sides. Between Itajuli, Kamakhya and Aswakranta, one of the fiercest river battles was ever fought. Using a improvised bridge of boats, the Ahoms, attacked the Mughals from both the rear and front, their admiral Munnawar Khan was shot dead, and it totally scattered them. 4000 of the Mughal Army were dead, their navy destroyed, and they were pursued to Westernmost part of the Ahom kingdom, the Manas river. Darrang also saw a rout for the Mughals, overall it was a total rout for the Mughals, and ensured that they would not make further inroads into Assam. Lachit Borphukan single handedly led an Ahom force to victory over a much larger Mughal Army, it was one of the greatest military victories ever.

The best passing out cadet at the National Defence Academy is awarded the Lachit Borphukan gold medal, this was instituted by the Assam Govt in 2000. It is a fitting tribute to a brave soldier, a wise man and a brilliant tactician.

http://swarajyamag.com/culture/lachit-borphukhan-remembering-the-ahom-hero-on-his-birthday/

Tamil TigerWoods

What the Ahoms accomplished is far more praiseworthy than the Maratha, Sikhs, Rajputs, Gurkhas, Jats, etc......being able to completely defeat and subvert Mughal imperialism while the empire was at its zenith, under Aurangzeb, is something those latter groups never experienced. Sure, the Marathas and Sikhs won protracted guerrilla war campaigns/pitched battles, and the Rajput rebellion was a definite source of pride for their community....but in those cases, the Mughal hegemony was still very much in place. It wasn't until Aurangzeb's passing that the aforesaid groups even witnessed territorial expansion and sovereignty in the truest sense.

woaa

Practical Explanation ( For Example ) :- `1st of all can you tell me every single seconds detail from that time when you born ?? ( i need every seconds detail ?? that what- what you have thought and done on every single second )

can you tell me every single detail of your `1 cheapest Minute Or your whole hour, day, week, month, year or your whole life ??

if you are not able to tell me about this life then what proof do you have that you didn't forget your past ? and that you will not forget this present life in the future ?

that is Fact that Supreme Lord Krishna exists but we posses no such intelligence to understand him.
there is also next life. and i already proved you that no scientist, no politician, no so-called intelligent man in this world is able to understand this Truth. cuz they are imagining. and you cannot imagine what is god, who is god, what is after life etc.
_______
for example :Your father existed before your birth. you cannot say that before your birth your father don,t exists.

So you have to ask from mother, "Who is my father?" And if she says, "This gentleman is your father," then it is all right. It is easy.
Otherwise, if you makes research, "Who is my father?" go on searching for life; you'll never find your father.

( now maybe...maybe you will say that i will search my father from D.N.A, or i will prove it by photo's, or many other thing's which i will get from my mother and prove it that who is my Real father.{ So you have to believe the authority. who is that authority ? she is your mother. you cannot claim of any photo's, D.N.A or many other things without authority ( or ur mother ).

if you will show D.N.A, photo's, and many other proofs from other women then your mother. then what is use of those proofs ??} )

same you have to follow real authority. "Whatever You have spoken, I accept it," Then there is no difficulty. And You are accepted by Devala, Narada, Vyasa, and You are speaking Yourself, and later on, all the acaryas have accepted. Then I'll follow.
I'll have to follow great personalities. The same reason mother says, this gentleman is my father. That's all. Finish business. Where is the necessity of making research? All authorities accept Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. You accept it; then your searching after God is finished.

Why should you waste your time?
_______
all that is you need is to hear from authority ( same like mother ). and i heard this truth from authority " Srila Prabhupada " he is my spiritual master.
im not talking these all things from my own.

in this world no `1 can be Peace full. this is all along Fact.

cuz we all are suffering in this world 4 Problems which are Disease, Old age, Death, and Birth after Birth.

tell me are you really happy ?? you can,t be happy if you will ignore these 4 main problem. then still you will be Forced by Nature.

if you really want to be happy then follow these 6 Things which are No illicit sex, No gambling, No drugs ( No tea & coffee ), No meat-eating ( No onion & garlic's )

5th thing is whatever you eat `1st offer it to Supreme Lord Krishna. ( if you know it what is Guru parama-para then offer them food not direct Supreme Lord Krishna )

and 6th " Main Thing " is you have to Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare ".
If your not able to follow these 4 things no illicit sex, no gambling, no drugs, no meat-eating then don,t worry but chanting of this holy name ( Hare Krishna Maha-Mantra ) is very-very and very important.

Chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare " and be happy.

if you still don,t believe on me then chant any other name for 5 Min's and chant this holy name for 5 Min's and you will see effect. i promise you it works And chanting at least 16 rounds ( each round of 108 beads ) of the Hare Krishna maha-mantra daily.
Here is no Question of Holy Books quotes, Personal Experiences, Faith or Belief. i accept that Sometimes Faith is also Blind. Here is already Practical explanation which already proved that every`1 else in this world is nothing more then Busy Foolish and totally idiot.
every `1 is already Blind in this world and if you will follow another Blind then you both will fall in hole. so try to follow that person who have Spiritual Eyes who can Guide you on Actual Right Path. ( my Authority & Guide is my Spiritual Master " Srila Prabhupada " )
read it complete. ( i promise only readers of this book that they { he/she } will get every single answer which they want to know about why im in this material world, who im, what will happen after this life, what is best thing which will make Human Life Perfect, and what is perfection of Human Life. ) purpose of human life is not to live like animal cuz every`1 at present time doing 4 thing which are sleeping, eating, sex & fear. purpose of human life is to become freed from Birth after birth, Old Age, Disease, and Death.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The Ahoms on the other hand were allied with the Jaintias, Garos, Nagas, the Rani of Darrang
Garo, Jaintia, Naga, Ahom helped to curve the ancient bor Axom which did comprised 5 of the modern day state of Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Arunachal, Mizoram and part of Manipur.
Here author had left along the famous quote of " Dexot ke mumai daangor nohoi", the very first line written under the first statue in the first page. It literally means "Uncle is not bigger then country". The incident goes like, Borphukan had assigned his maternal uncle (Mama/ Mumai) to oversee the embankments buildup in Brahmaputra. But his uncle did showed lackadaisical attitude towards it and then Lachit Borphukan said this famous quote before beheading him.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles