Know Your 'Rafale'

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
For Dassault it's the kind of headache they would be thrilled to have..too many orders and having to scale up production to meet the need. The 30 unit Egyptian order, following the 6 new Rafale Greek order and the replacement 12 unit order from the French AF means the order backlog is healthy at 48 Rafales after the Indian Rafales are all built. About Finland and Switzerland, I won't under-estimate the power of US diplomacy swinging those deals in their favor.

Dassault has already built 29 Rafales for India. Only 7 are yet to be flown.

But given the Covid-19 crisis in India, I doubt there will be any new orders this year. The NDA govt's image has taken a beating with the second wave and all defence procurements will likely take a back seat over spending on healthcare and infra.
My opinion, for months, is tha Rafale will win in Switzerland, and SH18 will win in Finland.
The backlog orders for Rafale is approx :
28 remaining of the last inked tranche for french air force (delivery to resume in 2023, for a total of 180)
12 to replace the 12 selled in 2nd hand to Greece
6 new to Greece (and maybe 6 more very very soon)
The remaining for India & Qatar.
These 30 new for Egypt,
Another 30 for France (and maybe 15+ more after.... for some reasons, including the late SCAF)
Indonesia ? 48?
Croatia ? 12?
Switzerland ? Finland ? (for me just Switzerland for nearly 32 -36 jets )
Another batch for India (the real question is : just another 36 or 114 ? or far more ?)
UAE ?

And after that I see Morocco (to counter balance Su-30 of Algeria and not to rely only on USA)
Another batch for Greece

Fonck83

Country flag
All rafales will be delivered to India several months before sheduled date (end of 2021 in place of april 2022).

"While French manufacturer Dassault will deliver all the 36 Rafales by latter half of the year, the IAF is in a state of preparedness as the disengagement and de-escalation plan with the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) in eastern Ladakh is still not complete as the Chinese army is not willing to restore status quo ante in Gogra-Hot Springs sector along the Line of Actual Control in Ladakh."

Fonck83

Country flag

JBH22

The second sale of Rafale to Egypt closes the EF2000 prospect in this country.... so sad :pound:
You never know Egyptian are surely following India way of adding multiple aircraft and then having logistical head ache.
The Russians were pitching the Su 35 to them.

MirageBlue

Country flag
A new contract for 36 rafale with Jakarta ?

The least reliable in terms of converting supposed talks into contracts would be Indonesia.

They've been talking about buying F-16Vs, second hand Austrian Typhoons, Rafales, F-15EXs..Plus they're involved in the KF-21 program, although they're so behind on payments I wouldn't be surprised if they're eventually ejected for not paying dues.

Nothing has so far been put into a contract except for Su-35Es and that contract is now apparently dead thanks to CAATSA.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag

akk

Country flag
Any update on the 3 rafales that took off for India almost a week ago? Normally a news comes for landing, but surprisingly, there was no news at all. Any idea they landed safely?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Any update on the 3 rafales that took off for India almost a week ago? Normally a news comes for landing, but surprisingly, there was no news at all. Any idea they landed safely?
Obviously they landed safely , this corona gloom just overshadowed it

Reactions: akk

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Its not clear. The pic legend says "will fly" and text says arrived. Also, it mentions 20, whereas these should have been 21.
Not a reliable one.
Typical indian news channel but yeah they have landed ,not formally inducted maybe but arrived , we too here don't pay attention to all these news channel on defense matters

Reactions: akk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles