Know Your 'Rafale'

VayuSena1

Professional
i think you guys should read this thread---->

http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/6-37848.aspx
What is the point of this thread? These people here are also speculating and discussing the same things that we are. Typhoon might or might not be superior to Rafale, but how do we as Indians believe in it? During these simlulated combats, were the skills of the two pilots considered? What were the flight and combat parameters for both aircraft? Did both of them wield similar class of weapons against each other? There are many questions that we can ask here. One of the persons on that thread has smartly put the Kalashnikov vs M16A comparison. Unless and until one considers external and additional factors, one can never find out.

Another example of this can be the Cope Thunder 2004 exercise when the IAF first time undertook an aerial combat exercise with the USAF. The aircraft that was most underestimated and critisized in our arsenal (MiG-21) was the one that caused a huge panic in the USAF offices across their country. Of all the aircraft, it was MiG-21 that proved to be most lethal despite it being well beyond its service life.

Therefore, blindly comparing the two aircraft, Rafale and Typhoon in this case, considering all parameters equal would only draw one conclusion: the person comparing the two jets is either doing it for fun or does not know how to conduct comparative testings for even simple matters let alone something as complex as combat aircraft. (I am referring only to the page that was displayed when I clicked that link and not the entire thread over there).

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
I believe Irbis-E PESA is more powerful than Zhuk AESA.
AESA radar by definition ought to be more advanced than PESA
Ya, oops, I mis-phrased the sentence.

Irbis-E

Advertised: 400km Detection range and 90km for 0.01m2 sized targets....

shiv

vayusena1 the point is that we are ranting all about the rafael(my personal choice by the way) but is it better than all the contender in the MRCA?
If you read the whole thread then you will observe how does rafael compare to eurofighter and also what are its high and low points.....

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
vayusena1 the point is that we are ranting all about the rafael(my personal choice by the way) but is it better than all the contender in the MRCA?
I believe vayusena1 , is also alluding to to the same point that as yet these crafts have not been pitted against one another. Though Rafale and Mig-35 are ideally suited for IAF.

If you read the whole thread then you will observe how does rafael compare to eurofighter and also what are its high and low points.....
Please don't bring threads from other forums here, Shiv. And strategypage is not considered the most reliable or authentc

A.V.

AS pointed out by ritesh the thread is too old<sorry for posting>

THREAD IS CLOSED MRCA DISCUSSIONS TO CONTINUE IN THE MRCA THREAD.

shiv

NEW DELHI: France's
Dassault Aviation is out of the running for a $10 bn contract to supply India with 126 multi-role fighter jets, an Indian
defence ministry spokesman said on Thursday.

Boeing, Lockheed Martin Corp, Russia's MiG-35, Sweden's Saab KAS-39 Gripen and the Eurofighter Typhoon, a consortium of British, German, Italian and Spanish companies, were the other parties that submitted bids last year for the contract, one of the biggest in the world.

"Rafale did not meet the usual requirement," the spokesman told Reuters.

"The other five companies are still in the race," he said.

In Paris, a Dassault Aviation spokesman had no immediate comment on the announcement.

Dassault's other leading partners in the Rafale project include Thales, which makes the radar, and engine maker Safran.

India has said it will soon begin trials of the fighter jets, as it plans to replace its ageing Soviet-era fleet. Defence officials have said the trial process could begin by end-May and could take nearly a year to test the capability of the fighters.

"It will be a long process, as we will check various things, including the capabilities of the fighters in combat scenarios," the spokesman said.

India plans to spend more than $30 billion over the next five years to modernise its largely Soviet-era weapons systems and is also launching its first military spy satellite next year.

shiv

hell man that was my favorite--->

looks like we have the following

1.griped
2.f-16
3.super hornet
4.mig-35
5.eurofighter

now it comes down to mig-35 and super hornet....

it is clear that super hornet is going to sweep this ugly floor

shiv

but one doubt persists that it is not confirmed and hence not official,i just saw an item where dassalt SA says it has not recieved any correspondance from the MOD stating that they have been kicked out......

so there is still a chance that it is just a rumor

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
I am hoping the deal is split between the MiG-35 and the Eurofighter...

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
but one doubt persists that it is not confirmed and hence not official,i just saw an item where dassalt SA says it has not recieved any correspondance from the MOD stating that they have been kicked out......

so there is still a chance that it is just a rumor
But, the Defence Ministry is slow with these things... maybe Dassault will be informed "in the fullness of time", "when the moment is right", "at the appropriate juncture", "at the opportune moment" etc. etc. :bye::bye:

Pintu

True Shiv, now if all is true then , the competition will be between SH and MiG-35 , how ever , I feel now that MiG-35 may have the last lough.

Regards

shiv

monk it is clear that super bug will win....

eurofighter is too costly and has too many constraints....

We would not be buying the Mig-35 cuz of the recent unreliability and to get us off a single supplier

shiv

my point being that one of our long time aim is to diversify ourselves becauz our equipment is still 70% russian,and selecting the MIG wont help

shiv

but if it is a question of funding then i think we do not have any other choice

VayuSena1

Professional
monk it is clear that super bug will win....

eurofighter is too costly and has too many constraints....

We would not be buying the Mig-35 cuz of the recent unreliability and to get us off a single supplier
And United States is a really reliable supplier under Barack Obama: nice joke. (Does Shivalik engines ring a bell?).

Pintu

I am hoping the deal is split between the MiG-35 and the Eurofighter...

May be Monk, but I don't think the Deal is going to split, also , also in my opinion final competition will be between F-18SH and MiG-35.

Regards

Su-47

I hope Rafale won't be kicked out. Its an awesome plane, and considering how IAF pilots love thier mirage2000s, i assumed Rafale, as mirage 2000 replacement, would have been a top contender.

the only silver lining in rafale being eliminated is that atleast now there are only 5 contestants to evaluate, so the process might be a little faster.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles