Know Your 'Rafale'

johnj

aare bhai sameer joshi sir is an iaf pilot and his startup is working on cats warrior with hal
how both are related ?
cats - hal
su30 - sukhoi.
super sukhoi - engine.
Also i read drdo developing irst for su30.

SARTHAK

Country flag
how both are related ?
cats - hal
su30 - sukhoi.
super sukhoi - engine.
Also i read drdo developing irst for su30.
"GaN radar will be used in mk2 " this news was given by sameer sir, drdo already released public tenders for Gan based tr modules, su 30mki radar will not take time check out this thread for the information

JBH22

35 Rafale already delivered.
The last one to come in India next month.

Dassault : "always on time, on spec, on budget".
Any idea till when production line will remain.
Also, when does France foresee it will retire its fleet of rafale.

johnj

"GaN radar will be used in mk2 " this news was given by sameer sir, drdo already released public tenders for Gan based tr modules, su 30mki radar will not take time check out this thread for the information
Still not the answer I'm looking. Since drdo developing irst, surely they also develop rf sensor also, ew, maws etc available, new ones under development but main question remains - same engine or new ones ? Aesa and new engine, both are important to iaf.
GaN for mk2, great news, thanks.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
main question remains - same engine or new ones ? Aesa and new engine, both are important to iaf.
Same engine. New engines are not offering improved performance for the cost billed.

SARTHAK

Country flag
Still not the answer I'm looking. Since drdo developing irst, surely they also develop rf sensor also, ew, maws etc available, new ones under development but main question remains - same engine or new ones ? Aesa and new engine, both are important to iaf.
GaN for mk2, great news, thanks.
old engines are powerful enough to power GaN aesa source --hvt sir on twitter

johnj

old engines are powerful enough to power GaN aesa source --hvt sir on twitter
AL 31FP issue with reliability and HAL maintenance, not power o/p. IAF having engine problems, jaguar/russian/usa. IAF consider at least 36 more rafale. For IAF, rafale, mk2 more important than super sukhoi,
Aesa for mk2 comes first. May be IAF consider su57 new engine.
Since its rafale thread, what about GaN for rafale ? Does french allow indian GaN in rafale ?

SARTHAK

Country flag
AL 31FP issue with reliability and HAL maintenance, not power o/p. IAF having engine problems, jaguar/russian/usa. IAF consider at least 36 more rafale. For IAF, rafale, mk2 more important than super sukhoi,
Aesa for mk2 comes first. May be IAF consider su57 new engine.
Since its rafale thread, what about GaN for rafale ? Does french allow indian GaN in rafale ?
french will never allow indian radar in rafale ,but BEL makes GaA modules for rbe2 as thales has outsourced it to them even for french rafales

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
It reminds me of how the US and British Air Force furiously denied losing aircraft such as F-18s and Tornados to Migs during the gulf war. Instead blaming it on SAMs when a declassify CIA report and fellow pilots admitted they were shot down by Mig-25 and Mig-29s.
I had read a post somewhere on DFI with regards to this incident of a MiG-25 shooting down an FA-18. The Post said that the US never lied about Cdr Scott Speicher's FA-18 not getting shot down by a MiG-25PDS. The US had initially cited SAM as the cause but later Accepted that it was an Bisnovat R-40TD missile fired by a MiG-25 which downed the FA-18.

I don't really know though if the above is true but could you tell me how long did the US take to accept the FA-18 was infact shot by a MiG-25?

Neptune

Country flag
I had read a post somewhere on DFI with regards to this incident of a MiG-25 shooting down an FA-18. The Post said that the US never lied about Cdr Scott Speicher's FA-18 not getting shot down by a MiG-25PDS. The US had initially cited SAM as the cause but later Accepted that it was an Bisnovat R-40TD missile fired by a MiG-25 which downed the FA-18.

I don't really know though if the above is true but could you tell me how long did the US take to accept the FA-18 was infact shot by a MiG-25?
They did, Scott’s wingman always maintained it was a mig that shot down that F-18 but for years it was officially maintained that a SAM downed that F-18. It was only declassified CIA documents that revealed the truth years later. If Scott was alive I’m sure the story would have officially still been listed as a SAM kill but because Scott was missing in action the story got a little of attention from citizens and media. The CIA was under pressure to provide some answers.

ladder

Country flag
So all 36 delivered.
We learned from Mirage 2000 fleet in IAF that small fleet number (50 for Mirage 2000) of a type of fighter aircraft was not optimal for an air force like India.
We used that knowledge to buy a grand total of 36 Rafale from France.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
They did, Scott’s wingman always maintained it was a mig that shot down that F-18 but for years it was officially maintained that a SAM downed that F-18. It was only declassified CIA documents that revealed the truth years later. If Scott was alive I’m sure the story would have officially still been listed as a SAM kill but because Scott was missing in action the story got a little of attention from citizens and media. The CIA was under pressure to provide some answers.
If the truth about Speicher's FA-18 which was shot down by a MiG-25 was accepted by the US more than 1 year after the Incident Happened than it proves that the US lied 100 %.

If the US did not want to lie about the incident of the FA-18 shotdown, they should Accepted it after a few days itself that it was shot down by a MiG-25 but years later? It proved they lied. Also when I read the history of this Incident than I was quite surprised an Inferior MiG-25 was able to shoot down The FA-18. The Pilot of that MiG-25 was Zuhair Dawoud. When Zuhair was asked about it He said the following :-

“I locked a target 38km [20.5 miles] from me and at 29km [15.6 miles] I fired [the] R-40RD missile from under my right wing. I kept the target locked with my radar [un]till I witnessed a huge explosion in front of me"

The MiG-25 is a very intriguing machine to me. When I was very young and not so much into this type of things ,I used to always think that US was truthful about it's Losses but when I joined the Defence Community in 2021 January, I did more research and I came to know I was wrong.

SARTHAK

Country flag
to all the fellows some off topic question but does anybody have a real estimate of russian casuality in ongoing conflict, UKR MOD ones are too much to believe

assassin162

Country flag
The thing is the way US is behaving it is totally not reliable for us especially if we use their "platform". Using a few helicopters and such tangible things is okkkk..
So F18 should now totally be out of contention for naval fighter role.
We should order some 36 Rafales and 26 Rafale M if France can some how deliver these within 5_6 years, that is before MWF manufacturing starts.

And I give a shit about the so called Indian manufacturing base and all. Just leave those pricr accelerating things out of the deal.

BON PLAN

-*-
Country flag
The thing is the way US is behaving it is totally not reliable for us especially if we use their "platform". Using a few helicopters and such tangible things is okkkk..
So F18 should now totally be out of contention for naval fighter role.
We should order some 36 Rafales and 26 Rafale M if France can some how deliver these within 5_6 years, that is before MWF manufacturing starts.

And I give a shit about the so called Indian manufacturing base and all. Just leave those pricr accelerating things out of the deal.
Rafale international GIE is on course to increase the assembly rate to 5 jets/month and some othe sources say 4.5.
Imagine the 4.5 figure :
3 maxi for the actual Merignac line (may be it can be increased. I don't know)
0,5 for after sale market.
Remain 1. 1/month for.... DRAL assembly line ????

Articles