Kaveri Engine

Arpuster

Country flag
Sir ji, I think that FUFA might be a 5th gen minus or 5th gen LCA bcz Kaveri is itself a 4th gen engine which might not be ideal for infrared signature suppression and stealth, but as reported above that a redesigned Kaveri is under R&D, it might well be a semi-stealth/stealth variant of Kaveri ideal for stealth and IR signature suppression (more like upgrading it to 4.5 gen or 5th gen minus engine).
Sir, in my opinion FUFU being a futuristic unmanned fighter, it should be 6th gen otherwise it wont be inducted. It should come around the time of AMCA so 6th gen tech shall be ready by that time. May be redesigned Kaveri is planned to be more advanced than current one.

Abheer Parashar

Country flag
Sir, in my opinion FUFU being a futuristic unmanned fighter, it should be 6th gen otherwise it wont be inducted. It should come around the time of AMCA so 6th gen tech shall be ready by that time. May be redesigned Kaveri is planned to be more advanced than current one.
Yes sir, actually I don't have much idea about FUFA programme, but by your description I guessed that it might as well be a 5th gen+ aircraft, but the fact Kaveri, even though being redesigned, is quite non-stealthy unless GTRE does some good changes in the engine exhaust and inlet of the aircraft along with IR signature suppression.

MonaLazy

Kaveri is quite non-stealthy
Dear sir an engine is the beating heart of the machine and is expected to be hot, very hot. I do not think there is any called a stealthy engine even as a paper concept. But you can shield the engine blades using Y or serpentine ducts which is a feature of the air frame- not the engine. You can lace the exhaust with heat shielding material (ceramics) that is used in rockets to prevent from melting- again a feature of the airframe not the engine.

The only heat reduction feature you can use is a 3rd stream in the engine- to mix into the exhaust and make it cooler- that is only coming to the latest F-35 variable cycle engines- so is bleeding edge.

Abheer Parashar

Country flag
Dear sir an engine is the beating heart of the machine and is expected to be hot, very hot. I do not think there is any called a stealthy engine even as a paper concept. But you can shield the engine blades using Y or serpentine ducts which is a feature of the air frame- not the engine. You can lace the exhaust with heat shielding material (ceramics) that is used in rockets to prevent from melting- again a feature of the airframe not the engine.

The only heat reduction feature you can use is a 3rd stream in the engine- to mix into the exhaust and make it cooler- that is only coming to the latest F-35 variable cycle engines- so is bleeding edge.
Sir, by stealthy, I actually wanted to convey what u conveyed here, that we can reduce its IR signature, hence decreasing the chances of getting detected by IRST. And the measures u mentioned here, I wanted to list out those measures as well but was not able to remember at that time. 😅

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
I just wanted to know the reason for such assumption/opinion of yours that Safran “might” give know why even after getting huge sum of money. I think you dont have any. I feel that British are more likely to give it for money than France. The reason for my assumption is that only British have ever transferred the technology of jet engines in the history and every country making jet engines today got that technology from Britishers only.
Britishers transferred jet engine tech to the USSR because they were idiots not because they wanted to.

no smoking

Country flag
Britishers transferred jet engine tech to the USSR because they were idiots not because they wanted to.
No, they were not. They clearly knew what they were doing and what the consequences would be.
It was 1946, Europe was divided and conquered by 2 superpowers. Even British was on her knees. The only chance that Europe and UK could recover was the confrontation between 2 superpowers. But it was clear that Soviet's military stood no chance in any war against US, even their armored army would be wipe out by US airforce before seeing any US tank. So it was very likely that Soviet wouldn't dare to challenge US.
That was why UK sold their jet engine technologies to USSR, they need to strengthen USSR's tactic air force.
Nene was a perfect tech to sold. It was for short range jet which wouldn't be able to reach UK but still useful for covering Soviet army.
The result? Very good. US realized that they need their European allies in a potential war against USSR.
In 1946, British sold their jet engines;
1947, George F. Kannan's "containment" policy came to the public attention, one of his key point was "preventing Europe falling into Soviet's hand";
1948, Marshall Plan.

sameer3694

Is there a reason why we don't have a flying test bed? Is it a lack of seriousness/commitment or do we lack the technology?

NocturnalOwl

Country flag
I think WS-15 has not achieved flight certification yet. They are in the same phase where Kaveri Engine is right now. They are going to produce LSP Engine for testing. Which I believe would be final phase of testing.

no smoking

Country flag
I think WS-15 has not achieved flight certification yet.
There is no flight certification in Chinese jet engine development but tech certification and production certification.

But Chinese doesn't have the tradition of publication of any weapon certification, so the only way we know if WS-15 is successful is: whether there is many pictures of J-20 with WS-15 appearing online.

Clearly, we haven't seen that.

They are in the same phase where Kaveri Engine is right now. They are going to produce LSP Engine for testing. Which I believe would be final phase of testing.
No, Kaveri is far behind. So far, the maximum testing hours achieved by Kaveri based on online sources is 2200 hours (ground + altitude condition), but a jet engine high altitude chamber test alone will require at least 10,000 hours (generally >20,000 hours).

Nazaria e Bakistan

Country flag
Is there a reason why we don't have a flying test bed? Is it a lack of seriousness/commitment or do we lack the technology?
I asked the same question on Strategic front but my thread was locked because I am from Al Bakistan and I have different lovers!

Biggest expense in a Flying Test Bed is the high flying aircraft.

A brand new IL76-MD-90A costs 50 million dollar or so. 4-5 will come 200 million dollars. Make it 400 million dollars with all the spares and modifications to make them test bed.

Is 400 million dollars that big of an amount?

We spend 500 million dollars on these useless statues

Patel must be crying in afterlife!

Remember, this will get us the latest and greatest IL76-MD-90As. If you want to save money, lots of second hand planes were on sale during Pandemic. We can go for one of the variants of 747. It is also a 8 engine plane which is used in Amerikkka for engine development.

Cheapest are old 1980s airframes costing few millions. More recent ones cost more but then you get a modern plane with lot more life left.

I blame bloody Baboos of MoD. All of them deserved to be hanged on the India gate.

Vamsi

Country flag
I asked the same question on Strategic front but my thread was locked because I am from Al Bakistan and I have different lovers!

Biggest expense in a Flying Test Bed is the high flying aircraft.

A brand new IL76-MD-90A costs 50 million dollar or so. 4-5 will come 200 million dollars. Make it 400 million dollars with all the spares and modifications to make them test bed.

Is 400 million dollars that big of an amount?

We spend 500 million dollars on these useless statues

Patel must be crying in afterlife!

Remember, this will get us the latest and greatest IL76-MD-90As. If you want to save money, lots of second hand planes were on sale during Pandemic. We can go for one of the variants of 747. It is also a 8 engine plane which is used in Amerikkka for engine development.

Cheapest are old 1980s airframes costing few millions. More recent ones cost more but then you get a modern plane with lot more life left.

I blame bloody Baboos of MoD. All of them deserved to be hanged on the India gate.
saar, flying test beds won't get you votes saar

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Then paint Modi, Kejriwal, Sunny Leone riding Bhindifry and Rahul Gandhi on that plane all together. Lots of Votes Saar!
Har mehekme ka apna fund hota hai huzoor, aap to handsome hain.
Jung se matlab rkahien ( sorry, but pun indeed intended keke)
Anyway, statue has its own importance, test bed has its own.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles