Kaveri Engine

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
But French option is license production like Al-31. They already have a core ready. Doesn't seem like they are sharing IPR or the entire process with us. They will simply do to us what the Russians did to us with FGFA.

RR seems to be promising more, but are also less reliable than the French. Less reliable not only because of CAATSA or sanctions, but also because they might promise more to get the contract initially and then FGFA us like the Russians. Not to mention the potential for delays in more in the RR option because its core is not developed yet.

I don't see any good options. Best option would be to go with the French for now to ensure a powerful engine can begin manufacture in India within the timeframe, but to continue to spend an equal amount on home-grown engine technology as well. Because going with the French option seems like we'll be FGFA'd: they'll do all the R&D and we'll just get an engine in return, no experience in engine design and development. That'll bite us in the @$$ when we start building our own adaptive cycle engine for our 6th Gen, unless GTRE is given continuous funding to keep developing our engine technology further independent of the Joint-Venture.
We should just buy out Rolls Royce and make it Indian company, who will the British sanction then? :cool3:

Dessert Storm

Country flag
RR seems to be promising more, but are also less reliable than the French. Less reliable not only because of CAATSA or sanctions, but also because they might promise more to get the contract initially and then FGFA us like the Russians. Not to mention the potential for delays in more in the RR option because its core is not developed yet.
I thought the offer was to built a new engine using EJ200 core, with full TOT. Ain't that true? Or are there options from RR (1) All new engine (2) Engine using EJ200 core?

Spitfire9

Country flag
Re: choosing between RR and SAFRAN, it's a bit like being between a French rock and an English hard place. The French rock is probably expensive, based on an existing engine and with less TOT. The English hard place is probably one giving more for the money, probably not based on an exisiting engine but riskier in terms of US interference.

I hope India gets a good deal from whoever. Main thing to me is for India to get the know how to develop fast jet engines.

PS About buying RR: I don't think it can be done without UK government agreement. As far as I remember, when RR went bust and was propped up by the UK government the government became the holder of a 'golden share' without whose approval RR could not be sold.

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
RR or Safran it doesn't matter. Nobody is going to give IPR of critical technologies. We have to develop an all new core for the 110KN engine ourselves. I don't know if anyone here listened to Saurav Jha's last Indigenization appreciation hour where he talked about this exact issue. He said the technologies will be ours it's just that partnering with a mature engine maker will make designing and certifying process/timeline much more faster.

Spitfire9

Country flag
I think this guy said buying RR (The company) is out of question.
Spitfire thought he was talking about engines.
Correct, I was talking about a 110kN engine development partnership.

As I said earlier, when RR went bust due to problems in developing the RB211 engine to be used in the Lockheed 1011 trijet airliner, the UK government rescue package awarded the UK government a 'golden share' in the new company - I think called Rolls-Royce (1971) Limited. The assent of the 'golden share' owner was required for the company to be sold.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
Too many speculations.

Let's look forward to first flight of mk1a by next February and then mk2/MWF roll-out by end of 2022.

AMCA timelines will become much clear when first prototype rolls out.

No point hatching eggs till then.

More important is immediate order of 12 mki and 21 mig29 perhaps at Putin's visit .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles