Kaveri Engine

no smoking

Country flag
I don't think marine engine is a big challenge for us. Last time when I was in BHEL, I saw them making huge Industrial gas turbines
Two different level thing. Just take the example of Japanse, they have been producing industrial gas turbines for quite long time. But they are still relying on foreign companies for their marine gas turbine.

at that time they were using imported material for DS turbine blades. Since we have developed good SCBs, we can easilty develop marine engine, only thing we lack is political will.
For any new starter, the turbine blade is only one of lots of challenges. Let's look at Japan again, they are one of the earliest producers of SCB, where is their marine gas turbine engine?

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Sure, politicians... how can I put it... dislike being challenged. They can call you a Hindu extremist if you call them out or a Sikh extremist or a Jane, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish or whatever extremist or terrorist but the reality is that they see it convenient for you to be branded an Indian extremist or terrorist if you call them out whereas if you do not call them out they see you as a compliant Indian citizen and no threat to them. I might be wrong but that is my opinion.
Mostly hindu extremist , whatever maybe your religion , different problem mate ,and jain , Buddhist are considered part of Hinduism .

Leave it , it's too much about our internal pathetic politics , but kaveri has some necessary tech available now

Karthi

Country flag
Hot isostatic pressing facility at DMRL..jpg

Hot isotopic pressing facility at DMRL

components.jpg

components manufactured through this facility

rotor before hot isostatic pressing..jpg

rotor before isotopic pressing

Finish machined HIPed stainless steel integral turbine rotor.jpg

stainless steel integral rotor manufactured using HIP

HIPed superalloy 718 integral turbine rotor..jpg

Inconel 718 super alloy based rotor manufactured using HIP

these components are using in Prthvi Liquid propulsion system, cryogenic engine

MonaLazy

:thumbsup:

Also since not much information is coming out, we'll make do with what whatever's available:

• New distortion resistant fan
  • new annular combustor
  • new zirconium based coating solution is also developed for high pressure turbine blades.
  • a new composite engine shaft..Mostly finished
  • K10 enhanced engine with 60 kn dry thrust.
& finally..

1624982554721.png

Spitfire9

Country flag
If a practical (reliable, reasonable maintenance intervals) Kaveri with 60kN dry/83kN wet thrust does get developed, tested and certified in the next few years, I presume it could be used as a replacement for Tejas F404 when engine replacements are due.

What about installing Kaveri in a small number of Tejas and studying how they perform when used for several thousand hours of real life IAF use? Add them to a squadron and get IAF to rack up as many hours as possible on the Kaveri-engined frames. To me the data would be invaluable. Additionally, if the data show that the engine is good enough for IAF use, buying another 250+ F404 engines over the life of Tejas could be avoided.

mandestiny

Country flag

:thumbsup:

Also since not much information is coming out, we'll make do with what whatever's available:

• New distortion resistant fan
  • new annular combustor
  • new zirconium based coating solution is also developed for high pressure turbine blades.
  • a new composite engine shaft..Mostly finished
  • K10 enhanced engine with 60 kn dry thrust.
& finally..

View attachment 97258
It means kaveri engine success now ?

MonaLazy

It means kaveri engine success now ?
Must confess I am no expert- only processing what I read here and from other sources. Kaveri is a tech demonstrator i.e. a continuous work in progress. We seem to be on the right path by first working on certifying dry Kaveri. Facilities for complete design, test, development and debugging of gas turbines should come up next including 4 engined flying test beds.

1625053280144.png

so when will k10 come ???
and plz can you tell what was on those deleted tweets 🙏
I didn't realise they were not showing up (those tweets are protected now). Sharing some screenshots minus identity-

This guy appears to have some serious credentials:

1.png

1625051036950.png

Speaking to the above he says..

2.png

Everything to be taken with a bucket of salt. Like I mentioned earlier since nothing else is forthcoming we will make do with TwitInt.

mandestiny

Country flag
Must confess I am no expert- only processing what I read here and from other sources. Kaveri is a tech demonstrator i.e. a continuous work in progress. We seem to be on the right path by first working on certifying dry Kaveri. Facilities for complete design, test, development and debugging of gas turbines should come up next including 4 engined flying test beds.

View attachment 97452

I didn't realise they were not showing up (those tweets are protected now). Sharing some screenshots minus identity-

View attachment 97449

View attachment 97440

View attachment 97451

Everything to be taken with a bucket of salt. Like I mentioned earlier since nothing else is forthcoming we will make do with TwitInt.
Classified

Ajax01

Country flag

View attachment 97452

View attachment 97449

View attachment 97440

View attachment 97451

I dont think an UG guy will even be allowed in something like this.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
SWiFT is being developed at IITK & with due respect, BTechs outclass the MTechs there. If it's true it will be confirmed in next few months and years & then there is this for everything you read off Twitter:

View attachment 97500

View attachment 97501
Woah, that is news to me..

A nice summary..
In IITs the sponsored research project of individual Professors are mainly executed by PhD students under him or by JRF/SRF (recruited under the specific project). Mtechs and Btechs do not have sufficient time and proper domain knowledge to execute these projects.

Also, don't expect anyone to have worked in such projects be openly speaking about it in the social media.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles