Kaveri Engine

Vamsi

Country flag
Vibration in blades,Insufficient Combustion,Insufficient Reheat,Lower turbine inlet temperature.
Fluttering of Fan blades is already solved using new intake fan, turbine inlet temp is not the problem, we already reached 1700K with DMD4 DS blades itself ,I'm sure we can cross 1900K mark using DMS4 SCBs and by employing adequate cooling methods. But the main issue with Kaveri is Screech and Rumble issues in AB section, there is no news whether those issues are solved or not.

Spitfire9

Country flag
I thought the vibration problem due to flutter had been fixed by SAFRAN / in conjunction with SAFRAN.

Do the other problems still exist on the non-reheat version being developed for use in Ghatak? And I recall talk of using Kaveri in navy ships. Is that still planned?

SavageKing456

Country flag
I thought the vibration problem due to flutter had been fixed by SAFRAN / in conjunction with SAFRAN.

Do the other problems still exist on the non-reheat version being developed for use in Ghatak? And I recall talk of using Kaveri in navy ships. Is that still planned?
The problems i have listed are most likely already solved(some of them)

ladder

Country flag

Kaveri marine, it seems is not actively pursued. There was a test bed in Vizag and it was successful in producing about 12 MW of power at SL.
But, with Marine GT it requires long life and long duration of continuous running. Similarly time between overhauls should have to be longer than what it is for airforce use.

So, to test and certify for all these parameters, would take time and probably some designs changes.

As there is no news about it, probably it is not being actively pursued.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
That is encouraging if it means GTRE themselves worked out a solution to the flutter problem.
Marine one will take time ,and most probably will be a bigger engine as our requirements are now for bigger vessel

Vamsi

Country flag
Marine one will take time ,and most probably will be a bigger engine as our requirements are now for bigger vessel
I don't think marine engine is a big challenge for us. Last time when I was in BHEL, I saw them making huge Industrial gas turbines, at that time they were using imported material for DS turbine blades. Since we have developed good SCBs, we can easilty develop marine engine, only thing we lack is political will.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I don't think marine engine is a big challenge for us. Last time when I was in BHEL, I saw them making huge Industrial gas turbines, at that time they were using imported material for DS turbine blades. Since we have developed good SCBs, we can easilty develop marine engine, only thing we lack is political will.
What about design nibba ,you just can't simply replace components in some others engine , not work that way ,and ip and all

Leonardo Alves

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Bro, I think you saw BHEL and GE combined engines, if I am not wrong GE has given south asia gas turbines work to them.
Another problem for pakis because they are using GE gas turbines to power cities.
Regarding capability, yes I totally agree with you, they can, problem is INDIAN ARMED FORCES are lacking the soviet mindset of competition, catchup and overtake during the early cold war years.
You cannot become a significant power with an armed forces that is detached from the concept of nation building and pride associated with it.

Spitfire9

Country flag
I'm not saying that we can simply replace components, what I meant is that we have the capability to design & develop a world class marine engine
I read that Kaveri was overweight but if stuck in a ship, who cares if an engine weighs 1000kg or 1250kg.

I wonder, can you get away with lower temperatures in the hot section without a big drop in power or fuel efficiency? I imagine that lower temperatures increase reliability. I also imagine that in a marine application where it may not be easy to swap an engine out for another one, reliabilty and overhaul intervals are of great importance.

Vamsi

Country flag
Bro, I think you saw BHEL and GE combined engines, if I am not wrong GE has given south asia gas turbines work to them.
Another problem for pakis because they are using GE gas turbines to power cities.
Regarding capability, yes I totally agree with you, they can, problem is INDIAN ARMED FORCES are lacking the soviet mindset of competition, catchup and overtake during the early cold war years.
You cannot become a significant power with an armed forces that is detached from the concept of nation building and pride associated with it.
Bro, I did my internship there in Gas Turbine dept . My uncle is working in that company. They said that the designs are indigenous. I saw the entire manufacturing process there. That's why I'm claiming that we have the capability

Kalkioftoday

Country flag
What parts of kaveri are overweight compared to their western counterparts?? Is their any news regarding kaveri's weight reduction??

Spitfire9

Country flag
Bro, I did my internship there in Gas Turbine dept . My uncle is working in that company. They said that the designs are indigenous. I saw the entire manufacturing process there. That's why I'm claiming that we have the capability
It has been said that things that India could do are not being done due to lack of political will. So hit out at the politicians who refuse to support India realising the achievable. Their political hue is of no importance.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
It has been said that things that India could do are not being done due to lack of political will. So hit out at the politicians who refuse to support India realising the achievable. Their political hue is of no importance.
Dude , you will be termed sanghi ,hindu extremist , saffron terrorist , cow dung eater (nobody eats ) ,what not ?? A most importantly bhakt (devotee ) if you wrre a indian who analyzed fuck up of politicians

Spitfire9

Country flag
Dude , you will be termed sanghi ,hindu extremist , saffron terrorist , cow dung eater (nobody eats ) ,what not ?? A most importantly bhakt (devotee ) if you wrre a indian who analyzed fuck up of politicians
Sure, politicians... how can I put it... dislike being challenged. They can call you a Hindu extremist if you call them out or a Sikh extremist or a Jane, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish or whatever extremist or terrorist but the reality is that they see it convenient for you to be branded an Indian extremist or terrorist if you call them out whereas if you do not call them out they see you as a compliant Indian citizen and no threat to them. I might be wrong but that is my opinion.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles