Kaveri Engine

Spitfire9

Country flag
Kaveri had some basic ACE feature in it , but not a refined design , if they tried it earlier ,most probably will have in this model too , rolls Royce was also working on it ,right ?
I have not seen any info about RR working on adaptive/variable cycle technology. I imagine they are doing some research if it promises to bring big benefits. Perhaps they are looking into it for Tempest. Unfortunately not much info is published about the engine for Tempest.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I have not seen any info about RR working on adaptive/variable cycle technology. I imagine they are doing some research if it promises to bring big benefits. Perhaps they are looking into it for Tempest. Unfortunately not much info is published about the engine for Tempest.
ADVENT

Spitfire9

Country flag
Thanks.

In 2007, Rolls-Royce North American Technologies was awarded $296m (£181m) by the US Air Force Research Laboratory to develop ADVENT technologies that focus on an adaptive engine architecture to provide a 25 per cent improvement in average fuel consumption and reduced temperature cooling air for thermal management. Demonstrator testing is scheduled for 2013.

I never heard of a TD actually being built and tested by RR but RR must have some gained some knowhow in this area.

omaebakabaka

Engine overhaul of more than 500+ aircraft every 7-8 years will need skilled workforce. No matter how much u can say screwgiri. People are needed for that too. If not like this then u will invest money seperately to do that or slow down production.
IAF needs money currently and GE TOT charges were 15-20% of whole deal.
I think for this sales contract usually is supplemented with training just like civilian engines....I do think superficial tot is waste of time....if it was useful we would have a working engine by now.

There is only one fundamental solution to these advanced things....culture change. Do not let anyone graduate from enter or graduate from engineering or any technical discipline and do not let anyone become assitant or full professor unless they have hands in on very technical and high priority projects that country needs....in other words add one or 2 years like MBBS just to make people work on application side

Trololo

Country flag
1980s ==> FBW based F-16 and Mirage 2000 entered service.
2018 ==> FBW based LCA entered service (~40 year tech gap).
1980s ===> F404 engine in usage.
2020s ===> F404 spec Kaveri has failed (40 year old tech of F404 not available to us)
2030s ===> F414 spec 110KN engine to enter service. (~40 year tech gap since F414 is largely 90s tech)
2005 ====> F22 5th gen fighter entered service
2030 ====> AMCA Mk1 enters service (~25 year tech gap)
2021 ====> GEs VC engine tech demonstrator delivers expected on ground performance.
20XXs ====> Indian VC engine?

omaebakabaka

2020s ===> F404 spec Kaveri has failed (40 year old tech of F404 not available to us)
2030s ===> F414 spec 110KN engine to enter service. (~40 year tech gap since F414 is largely 90s tech)
2021 ====> GEs VC engine tech demonstrator delivers expected on ground performance.
Space lag is even worse....lol
Looking at Chinese economic growth anything is possible, in two decades they almost reached US economy size. Initial inertia is the most difficult one, moving is relatively easy after that....hope we catch up at some point

Willy3

Country flag
Oldest available Indian text: Rig Vedas, 8000 years old.
Oldest available European text : some greek shit roughly 3000 years ago

Does this difference of millenium stop the white skins from leapfroging us ?

Also F414 haven't reach 100kn thrust yet, I wonder any medium weight engine does this till now.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Oldest available Indian text: Rig Vedas, 8000 years old.
Oldest available European text : some greek shit roughly 3000 years ago
Got a friend who was an outstanding student in Classics at Oxford. I'll check with him how old and shitty the crap from Greece was, if you don't mind.

PS Got another friend who studied at Oxford who did not do so well. :)

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Can this anyway Help kaveri engine? Also single crystal blades developed by drdo capable of using it in Kaveri engine or it is useful for helicopter engine only? If anyone know how much temperature these blades can withstand
For kaveri just a lil bit higher ,but would require another billion to make it good enough ,maybe we may develop kaveri during rr jv , as we would be having some experience then

Spitfire9

Country flag
For kaveri just a lil bit higher ,but would require another billion to make it good enough ,maybe we may develop kaveri during rr jv , as we would be having some experience then
I thought that SAFRAN were lined up for Kaveri enhancement.

tsunami

Country flag
Sorry guys Still not clear.... there are so many different developments and many different sources that still it's not cleared.

What problems we had with Kaveri, what technologywe were not able to achieve... like metallurgy, core, weight, main fan, scb...

And how many we are able to resolve over the years. Maybe not for kaveri but in general.

ketaki

Country flag
sometimes i feel that India could have saved a lot of Moolah by the method of Saudi Arabia...they dont waste money on useless PSUs like HAL, DRDO and OFB...all the money goes into high end stuff purchased from USA, EU

advantage: high quality stuff for our armed forces + nice kick on a$$ on commie unions

disadvantage: no indigenization...but what good is indigenization when crap like INSAS and bursting howitzers are handed over to our forces, HAL cant even produce spare parts for maintaining Su-30 MKI fleet let alone it's engine which is claimed to be manufactured at Karaput factory from raw material stages (god know what the he!! they do over there)

Blank

Country flag
sometimes i feel that India could have saved a lot of Moolah by the method of Saudi Arabia...they dont waste money on useless PSUs like HAL, DRDO and OFB...all the money goes into high end stuff purchased from USA, EU

advantage: high quality stuff for our armed forces + nice kick on a$$ on commie unions

disadvantage: no indigenization...but what good is indigenization when crap like INSAS and bursting howitzers are handed over to our forces, HAL cant even produce spare parts for maintaining Su-30 MKI fleet let alone it's engine which is claimed to be manufactured at Karaput factory from raw material stages (god know what the he!! they do over there)
Jab embargo milega Na. Tab Gan Fategi.

China and Russia both started as crap. No one gets perfect in one day. Let alone India.

In times of need, no one will help us. No one. At the end of the day, you can still build your INSAS. The west will just keep preaching of fascism and human rights.

airtel

Country flag

Iran 🇮🇷 thought the same, they bought "high quality " American jets.

Now look at their airforce.
Same condition turkey will be facing.

Trololo

Country flag
Iran 🇮🇷 thought the same, they bought "high quality " American jets.

Now look at their airforce.
Same condition turkey will be facing.
Unless Erdodog is replaced by a coup by a harsh Kemalist leader, Turkey will be Pakistanized. In the process it will stop getting any US and EU military gear. And lose partnerships with Western defence companies. Which means Turkish defence forces will be made up by Russian and Chinese hardware in a decade or so from now.

Policy flip flops is why we should not buy frontline combat gear from the US. P8s, C-130s, Apaches, and C-17s are there because there were no other reasonable options at that time. Russians are considerably behind on what they can offer to counter these items.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles