Kaveri Engine

no smoking

Country flag
Kaveri was a first attempt, that too with high indigenization in mind , too risky a job.
Kaveri is a project to promote India's indigenization on jet engine. What you mean high indigenization?
If the indigenization is not high, what the point to start the project?

As a td , to learn know how of engine deveolpment.
No, the first thing you need to learn is what your ONLY customer want.

At present for cruise missiles category with further plans for light jet category , and in future for collab on a high thrust category
The Manik engine is still under the development by DRDO.

Here is the website of Bharat Forge

Bharat Forge - Aircraft Compressor, Turbine Manufacturer in India

There is no mention of cruise missile engine.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Kaveri is a project to promote India's indigenization on jet engine. What you mean high indigenization?

Then read this.

One of low thrust engine was tested some days back with 3 d printed parts

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag

This kne in hindi ,but you may get a rough idea .

Coalmine

Country flag
Is the engine JV with RR going ahead. I think that will come by 2030.

mandestiny

Country flag
In JV problem is u cant get full knowledge.
Once we created 110Kn engine wat about engine for other requirement, again we do JV ?

If we get full knowledge then we can make any type of engine.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Once we created 110Kn engine wat about engine for other requirement, again we do JV ?

In this jv , rr is ready to sell it's ip too , also there will be joint ip , you can use it too , i can do it too

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
I want to say once India developed 110kn engine , then can India able to develop engines like GE ?
cant say about derivative of rr jv engine. but if we have ip we can definitely play with design and create something new without using rr design.

if i am not wrong rr jv engine will be 110kn initially but it can be increased by 20%.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

You already have the knowledge, for example I (GTRE) know how to make Biryani (Turofan engine) but whenever I try to cook it, it doesn’t feel the same as a Biryani even though I used all required ingredients so I call my mom (RollsRoyce here for example) to help me (consult) to make the Biryani which I used to make earlier into as tasty and great as made by the streetfood markets (Various other Jet engine manufacturers like RR, GE, etc).

mandestiny

Country flag
You already have the knowledge, for example I (GTRE) know how to make Biryani (Turofan engine) but whenever I try to cook it, it doesn’t feel the same as a Biryani even though I used all required ingredients so I call my mom (RollsRoyce here for example) to help me (consult) to make the Biryani which I used to make earlier into as tasty and great as made by the streetfood markets (Various other Jet engine manufacturers like RR, GE, etc).
If we innovate our self then we can make variants but if import the knowledge then making variants become problem.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
If we innovate our self then we can make variants but if import the knowledge then making variants become problem.
You have complete Turbofan making knowledge, you just get into problems while making final product, after we will have IPR for joint engine, we can make higher thrust derivatives of it easily.

omaebakabaka

Innovation especially practical one is a culture based on many things....from past you can notice it came out of highly individualistic countries or hierarchial countries like India, China and so on. I think attention is being to the practical application of sides just recently in this country....just take software, can we claim any major disruption in the market or even scale or first to market yet coming out of India and what those reason could possibly be?

Karthi

Country flag
DRDO develops Single Crystal Blades for HTSE-1200 helicopter engine application

Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed single crystal blades technology and supplied 60 of these blades to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) as part of their indigenous helicopter development program for helicopter engine application. It is part of a program taken up by Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL), a premium laboratory of DRDO, to develop five sets (300 in number) of single crystal high pressure turbine (HPT) blades using a nickel-based super alloy. The supply of remaining four sets will be completed in due course.

Helicopters used in strategic and defence applications need compact and powerful aero-engines for their reliable operation at extreme conditions. To achieve this, state-of-the-art Single Crystal Blades having complex shape and geometry, manufactured out of Nickel based superalloys capable of withstanding high temperatures of operation are used. Very few countries in the world such as USA, UK, France and Russia have the capability to design and manufacture such Single Crystal (SX) components.

The DMRL undertook this task based on its expertise gained during the development of such a technology for an aero-engine project earlier. Complete vacuum investment casting process to realise the blades, including die design, wax pattering, ceramic moulding, actual casting of components non-destructive evaluation (NDE), heat treatment and dimensional measurement, has been established at DMRL.

Special ceramic composition had to be formulated for making strong ceramic moulds which can withstand metallostatic pressure of liquid CMSX-4 alloy at 1500°C and above during casting operation. The challenge of maintaining the required temperature gradient has also been overcome by optimising the casting parameters. A multi-step vacuum solutionising heat treatment schedule for complex CMSX-4 superalloy to achieve the required microstructure and mechanical properties has also been established.Further, a stringent non-destructive evaluation (NDE) methodology for the blades along with the technique for determining their crystallographic orientations has been developed.

Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh has congratulated DRDO, HAL and the industry involved in the development of critical technology.

Secretary Department of Defence R&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy congratulated and appreciated the efforts involved in the indigenous development of this vital technology.

Single crystal baldes for HTSE 1200.jpg

Single crystal baldes for HTSE 1200.jpg

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Do you know why it is called XF9, instead of F9? It is just a tech demonstrator, not even a engineering verification machine.
Ut is called xf 9 cause it is the prototype not a final product why kfx ,tfx ,jxx were called so ,these are the terminology used generally for the tech demonstrator and prototype phase doesn't mean thefunal product will also be a td

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles