Kaveri Engine

Spitfire9

Country flag
I'm curious about something - why the wIIRC eight of an engine is seen as being so important. If an engine provides 20,000lbs of thrust, why does it matter so much whether it weighs 2,200lbs or 2,500lbs? I can see that one engine increases empty aircraft weight by 300lbs compared to the other but that is not such a big deal, is it? IIRC Kaveri was reported to be 100lbs+ overweight and that was a matter of concern. Why?

PS Interesting video on the GEnX. I recommend watching, too.

MonaLazy

why the weight of an engine is seen as being so important
increase weight -> increase fuel consumption (battle higher inertia)
consequence- lower range, higher temperatures in engine core which need better materials or alternately early material failure in compressor blades & increased emissions of potent greenhouse gas like NOx (rise exponentially with flame temperature) .. lose-lose all in all

no smoking

Country flag
I'm curious about something - why the wIIRC eight of an engine is seen as being so important. If an engine provides 20,000lbs of thrust, why does it matter so much whether it weighs 2,200lbs or 2,500lbs? I can see that one engine increases empty aircraft weight by 300lbs compared to the other but that is not such a big deal, is it? IIRC Kaveri was reported to be 100lbs+ overweight and that was a matter of concern. Why?

PS Interesting video on the GEnX. I recommend watching, too.
When your engine is overweight, the rear part of the jet body becomes heavier, then the whole body weight balance was broken. In order to re-balance it, you either reduce the structure weight of the rear part to compensate that, or increase the front weight to match it. The first option requires new material and will affect the other part of body, generally you will end up re-designing the whole structure. The later option will make the jet much heavier than original design, as the result you need the engine to provide higher thrust which will increase the engine's weight further.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles