Kashmiris will never leave India: Farooq Abdullah

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Kashmiris will never leave India: Farooq Abdullah

New Delhi, Oct 22 (IANS) India should not doubt Kashmiris and stop thinking they will ever 'leave this nation', says former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister and union Minister for New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah.

'Kashmir will remain a part of India and Kashmiris will never leave this nation. You should not doubt us. India should stop thinking that Kashmiris will ever divide off from India,' Abdullah told IANS in an interview on the sidelines of a function organised here Tuesday evening to celebrate his 73rd birthday.

The Kashmir issue, he said, 'will be solved peacefully only if India and people at the helm (in New Delhi) stop thinking that Kashmiris will ever secede'.

'I am a Muslim. I am Kashmiri and I am a proud citizen of India, the country whose unity in diversity amazes me,' Abdullah, who is also president of the ruling National Conference in the state, stated.

The former chief minister appreciated the central government's move of 'quiet diplomacy' to solve the problems in the state that has been ravaged by a two-decade separatist war.

'It (resuming dialogue) is a good move. I think New Delhi is sincere this time and the other side (separatist leaders) is also serious,' Abdullah said, adding 'there should be no hype if the Kashmir issue is to be solved sincerely'.

Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram had announced in Kashmir last week that the central government was working 'on quiet diplomacy to arrive at a unique, acceptable and honourable solution to the problems in Kashmir', raising expectations that the stalled talks with separatist leaders would resume.

The moderate faction of the separatist Hurriyat Conference has indicated its willingness to talk to New Delhi saying it was a 'positive development'.

Abdullah said New Delhi should learn lessons from past mistakes of giving 'too much hype' to the Kashmir peace process -- which led to the brutal killing of a Hizbul Mujahideen militant commander, Abdul Majid Dar, who had agreed to hold talks with the central government after he declared a ceasefire in 2000. Dar was expelled from the outfit and was later shot dead by militants in March 2002.

Abdullah said dialogue to encompass all shades of opinion was 'inevitable and it seems New Delhi has recognised the fact'.

'They are sincere,' he reiterated, adding that some political prisoners had been released. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is also holding a meeting to implement the recommendations of the five working groups set up to look into the problems in the state.

Earlier, addressing an invited audience at the function organised by the Foundation for Amity and National Solidarity, Abdullah said India wanted peace with Pakistan.

'We don't hate you (Pakistan). We feel sad to see what is happening (in Pakistan). We want a friendship with you but please allow us to live happily,' he said while expressing concern over rising terrorism in the neighbouring country.

Abdullah urged politicians not to mix religion with politics. 'Every election in India divides the nation because elections are being fought on religious sentiments. People are seeking votes in the name Ram and Allah.

'Please don't do this. I and my state have paid dearly for religious radicalism. Please listen to the heartbeats of the people of India. They want to live in peace and harmony. Don't divide them,' an emotional Abdullah told the gathering, which also included former ministers Vasant Sathe and M.M. Jacob as well as former Jammu and Kashmir governor and ex RAW (Research and Analysis Wing) chief G.C. Saxena.

Kashmiris will never leave India: Farooq Abdullah - Yahoo! India News

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i think farooq abdullaha more than addressing the central government is trying to address his domestic audience in kashmir and to rest of india. there is absolutely no vacuum in relationship or deficit of trust between the center and the state government that he needs to reassure the center on kashmiris and kashmir not leaving India, which is a foregone conclusion.

a lot of effort has gone on to get the talks started between the separatists and the central government which was an electoral promise of the nc, and now with the back door channel talks underway there is no way the nc will allow the opposition to take away the credit after getting things thus far, an opportunity if offered to the opposition would more than happily grab on to.

there would be a lot of pressure on the state government which is well over 6 months old from their electorate to get the stalled talks moving on kashmir which will have to include kashmiris, india and pakistan so his statement again targeted to make sure the opposition remains on the back foot and his party be seen as taking their cause forward. more than anything else farooq here he is trying to leave no room for the opposition to maneuver.

for rest of india the message i guess is to move past 26/11 and get the talks started with pakistan, something he has said on various platforms previously.

Tamil

Country flag
what to talk with them??? i don't know. when you talk they ask you the whole state and go back to HP. no other demand from the other side. what to do now

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
The only problem is, the influx of Kashmiris pouring in from POK. Could disturb peace, and affect the outcome of a plebiscite - if it ever takes place.

amitkriit

PoK Kashmiris, terrorists dumping failed state Pak?

In what seems to be a tectonic shift in the political landscape of Kashmir, there are growing indications that with Pakistan visibly imploding, Kashmiris in Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) are beginning to slowly see reason and have begun to distance themselves from Islamabad.

The first indication came when three dreaded terrorists told TIMES NOW that there were 6,000 others like them who were just waiting to give up the gun and embrace the mainstream.

The second indication came from London where a dozen Kashmiri political groups working out of PoK have in a sensational u-turn nailed Pakistan's version on the Kashmir issue.

Three surrendered militant told TIMES NOW that most of those who crossed over to PoK now want to come back............

PoK Kashmiris, terrorists dumping failed state Pak?- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

----------------------------------------
Separatists on Indian side are tight-lipped. Syed Ali Shah Geelani for the first time criticized Taliban, after supporting them a few years ago. Perhaps his heart pains after watching master's mysery.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
If they really were, India would have gone ahead with plebiscite right away, taking advantage of the situation. The real reason they're 'dumping' Pakistan apart from moving into the superior Kashmir, of course, is to saturate the population there.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles