Kashmiri religious group issues dress code for tourists

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
:facepalm:

SRINAGAR: A Kashmiri religious group Jamaat-e-Islami has asked tourists visiting the valley to follow a "proper dress code" and told the tourism department to enforce it.

"Some tourists, mostly foreigners, are seen wandering in short mini-skirts and other objectionable dresses here openly, which is quite against the local ethos and culture and is not acceptable to the civil society at all," Jamaat-e-Islami said in a statement on Tuesday evening.

The group said it was the duty of the tourism department to tell tourists to honour local ethos.

"Kashmiris cannot for the sake of their economy give up their divine values at any cost," it said.

"We need no such guests who can become a cause of derailing the society from the right track and spread immorality and immodesty in the name of tourism."

Zahid Ali, an advocate associated with the group, said: "Jamaat-e-Islami J&K (Jammu and Kashmir) cautions people against the well designed vicious plans of the anti-Islamic forces who are working here tirelessly to deviate the Kashmiri Muslims from their religious ethos which are indispensable for their identity."

He said the group was also impressing upon the tourism department not to encourage "this cultural aggression against Kashmiri Muslims and remain vigilant against elements, who, in the garb of promoting tourism, are promoting vulgarity, alcoholism, drug trafficking and other immoral activities."

The current diktat is reminiscent of the early 1990s when radical groups banned cinema halls, wine shops and beauty parlours, calling these anti-Islamic and against the ethos of the valley.

Kashmir has been witnessing a record number of tourist arrivals this year, both domestic and foreign.

The tourism department says more than 400,000 tourists have visited the valley so far. This excludes the over-130,000 pilgrims who are here for the annual Amarnath Yatra.

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/14671355.cms

Galaxy

Country flag
SRINAGAR: A Kashmiri religious group Jamaat-e-Islami has asked tourists visiting the valley to follow a "proper dress code" and told the tourism department to enforce it.
:facepalm:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
they are :scared1: of mini skirts, they should come to south Delhi.

amitkriit

There is nothing wrong in asking the foreign tourists to dress appropriately. They are guests here, they must respect local culture and sensitivities.

Patriot

Country flag
There is nothing wrong in asking the foreign tourists to dress appropriately. They are guests here, they must respect local culture and sensitivities.
That is understandable. Does Kashmir has separate laws other than India? What is acceptable or allowed in rest of India may not be allowed in Kashmir!

Next thing may be separate passports etc. etc... There seems hidden agenda behind this new tantrums from religious groups.

amitkriit

That is understandable. Does Kashmir has separate laws other than India? What is acceptable or allowed in rest of India may not be allowed in Kashmir!

Next thing may be separate passports etc. etc... There seems hidden agenda behind this new tantrums from religious groups.
India is a multicultural country, what is acceptable in Delhi might not be acceptable in rural Haryana. This is not about rule of law, this is about respecting the local tradition, culture and attire. There might be "hidden agenda", but asking the tourist to adhere to dress code which is suitable/acceptable in a predominantly Islamic Conservative society is not like "asking for too much".

aeroblogger

While I agree with this:
India is a multicultural country, what is acceptable in Delhi might not be acceptable in rural Haryana. This is not about rule of law, this is about respecting the local tradition, culture and attire. There might be "hidden agenda", but asking the tourist to adhere to dress code which is suitable/acceptable in a predominantly Islamic Conservative society is not like "asking for too much".
I fail to see how this makes sense:
"Kashmiris cannot for the sake of their economy give up their divine values at any cost," it said.
For the sake of the economy?????

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
While I agree with this:

I fail to see how this makes sense:
India as a nation respects and honour cultural and religious values of her people, any thing that might hurt the sentiments of her people, the court as a guardian of the constitution is expected to look after it, as for example getting nude in public area might make you end up behind the bars, so is the case in Kashmir, if people are not comfortable with foreigners with bare legs they can ask not to.

SHURIDH

Third class morn.
Thats why i hate jamat e islami hind.
Too much conserativism

aeroblogger

India as a nation respects and honour cultural and religious values of her people, any thing that might hurt the sentiments of her people, the court as a guardian of the constitution is expected to look after it, as for example getting nude in public area might make you end up behind the bars, so is the case in Kashmir, if people are not comfortable with foreigners with bare legs they can ask not to.
Yes, yes, I completely agree.

My point is how does somebody wearing short skirts (or getting nude for that matter) adversely affect the economy in any significant manner?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Yes, yes, I completely agree.

My point is how does somebody wearing short skirts (or getting nude for that matter) adversely affect the economy in any significant manner?
Actually the main article says..

"We need no such guests who can become a cause of derailing the society from the right track and spread immorality and immodesty in the name of tourism."

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Tourism industry is considered as a source of generating money which in turns helps the economy, the point highlighted is even if tourists stop to visit Kashmir because of dress issue, they care more for their social values then the money.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Most of the comments here are on the lines of "the tourists ought to behave according to local norms when they are here". Well, I heartily agree with that, but what gets my goat is statements like this:

Zahid Ali, an advocate associated with the group, said: "Jamaat-e-Islami J&K (Jammu and Kashmir) cautions people against the well designed vicious plans of the anti-Islamic forces who are working here tirelessly to deviate the Kashmiri Muslims from their religious ethos which are indispensable for their identity."

He said the group was also impressing upon the tourism department not to encourage "this cultural aggression against Kashmiri Muslims and remain vigilant against elements, who, in the garb of promoting tourism, are promoting vulgarity, alcoholism, drug trafficking and other immoral activities."

The current diktat is reminiscent of the early 1990s when radical groups banned cinema halls, wine shops and beauty parlours, calling these anti-Islamic and against the ethos of the valley.
Look at the typical Islamist bullshit that oozes out of these people's mouths. "anti-Islamic forces working tirelessly against us", "cultural aggression against Muslims".

I would oppose these people's mini-skirt diktats, just to poke a stick into their eyes, even if I agree that tourists must respect local sensibilities.

amitkriit

Most of the comments here are on the lines of "the tourists ought to behave according to local norms when they are here". Well, I heartily agree with that, but what gets my goat is statements like this:

Look at the typical Islamist bullshit that oozes out of these people's mouths. "anti-Islamic forces working tirelessly against us", "cultural aggression against Muslims".

I would oppose these people's mini-skirt diktats, just to poke a stick into their eyes, even if I agree that tourists must respect local sensibilities.
I have been to Kashmir, been to Srinagar, been to the areas which are considered to be Separatist strongholds. I visited during the Hurriyat agitation on "Amarnath Issue". Tourism can change the shape of the Kashmiri economy, and once people there will realize this fact (in fact they do), they will concentrate more on pleasing their customers than following the dictate of these religious nut-jobs.

Everybody has to fill his/her empty belly before offering a prayer, Kashmiris are no exception. Let the water flow along the path of least resistance. Kashmiris follow Sufi Islam which is less radical compared to the Islam being followed in the "Land of Pure". People cannot be fooled forever, no matter how conservative/religious they are.

amitkriit

I have my dress code for Kashmir - uniform!
That is the best suited one. I met Paramilitary personnel, they were so happy to meet a fellow "Indian", a rare species in this part of the world, particularly those who get deployed in around Lal Chowk area have to bear with abuses and insults on daily basis.

bhramos

Country flag
Jamaat dress code for tourists in J&K: Do not wear skimpy dresses

SRINAGAR: The Jamaat-e-Islami Jammu and Kashmir has asked tourists visiting the Valley to desist from wearing skimpy clothes and warned them of an angry reaction if they failed to do so. "Some tourists, mostly foreigners, are seen wandering in short mini-skirts and other objectionable dresses openly which is against local ethos and culture.

"This is not acceptable to civil society at all," the Jamaat, a politico-religious organisation, said yesterday in a statement here.

The Kashmir Valley is witnessing a surge in tourist arrivals over the last two years.

Nearly 15 lakh tourists arrived here last year and over five lakh tourists have visited the Valley this year so far.

Jamaat asked the state tourism department to "impress on tourists to honour local ethos".

"It is the duty of the department officials to impress on tourists to honour local ethos failing which they can even force an angry reaction," it said.

The Jamaat said the guests were "supposed to respect sentiments of the host". It said "for simple monetary benefits, no nation can compromise on its morality and obligatory customs and as such endanger its future generation."

"We need no such guests who can become a cause of derailing society from the right track and spread immorality and immodesty in the name of tourism," the Jamaat said.

Jamaat dress code for tourists in J&K: Do not wear skimpy dresses - The Times of India

Mod Note: Already posted.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Srinagar, July 4 (IANS) A Kashmiri religious group Jamaat-e-Islami has asked tourists visiting the valley to follow a "proper dress code" and told the tourism department to enforce it.
"Some tourists, mostly foreigners, are seen wandering in short mini-skirts and other objectionable dresses here openly, which is quite against the local ethos and culture and is not acceptable to the civil society at all," Jamaat-e-Islami said in a statement Tuesday evening.
The group said it was the duty of the tourism department to tell tourists to honour local ethos.
Kashmir has been witnessing a record number of tourist arrivals this year, both domestic and foreign.
The tourism department says more than 400,000 tourists have visited the valley so far. This excludes the over-130,000 pilgrims who are here for the annual Amarnath Yatra.

Kashmiri religious group issues dress code for tourists - Yahoo! News India

WTF!!!

Tourism was the only hope now these idiots mullas wants to curtail that also. High time GOI cuts special grants to J&K.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles