Karcham Wangtoo - A Himalayan Megastructure Nat Geo Documentary

Rashna

Country flag
Surrounded by jagged peaks, prone to sub-zero winters & accessible only by steep mountain roads, a strong crew of 14,500 brave the mighty Himalayas to create an approximately $1.5 billion state-of-the-art 1000 MW hydropower project in a record time of a little over 5 years -- The largest hydropower station ever to be constructed by an Indian private company -- This is a documentary on the making of the Karcham Wangtoo Hydel Power Project.

Rashna

Country flag
Although this project was completed in 2011 i found this an extremely inspiring Indian achievement worthy of being shared here.. I don't know if this has been posted before so moderators can use their discretion...

AnantS

Country flag
This project though good has ruined fragile Himalayas. Mine blasts for tunnel construction have literally caused all imp national highway nh22 to be closed for past two years because of continuous landslides . To reach sangla you have to undertake a torturous, terrifying detour at urni. Bloody narrow road, where two way traffic with heavy truck traffic flows. One has to literally cling to edge of the road, to pass opposite incoming vehicle. Chitkul-Sangla valley though is beautiful!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles