Kannada can't be compulsory for instruction in schools:SC to Karnataka

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
SC: Govt can't impose mother tongue as
instruction medium in primary classes

The Supreme Court on Tuesday ruled that a government cannot impose a language, including the mother tongue, as the only medium of instruction for primary education.

A five-judge constitution bench held that imposition of a language by the state government affects the fundamental rights of the parents and the children, who are authorised to decide on their mother tongue.

"The right to freedom of speech and expression under Article 19(1)(a) of the Constitution includes the freedom of a child to be educated at the primary stage of school in a language of the choice of the child and the state cannot impose controls on such choice just because it thinks that it will be more beneficial for the child if he is taught in the primary stage of school in his mother tongue," held Justice A K Patnaik, author of the judgment.

"We, therefore, hold that a child. or on his behalf his parent or guardian, has a right to freedom of choice with regard to the medium of instruction in which he would like to be educated at the primary stage in school. Imposing other restrictions on the freedom of speech and expression will be harmful to the development of the personality of the individual citizen and will not be in the larger interest of the nation," said the court.

The court said though experts may opine that children studying in primary classes could learn better if they were taught in their mother tongue, the state cannot stipulate it as a pre-condition for granting recognition to aided schools as well as private unaided schools.
Such a compulsion, the bench said, also violates the fundamental right of the minority and private unaided schools to carry on any occupation under Article 19(1)(g) of the Constitution. "The right to establish and administer an educational institution will include the right of a citizen to establish a school for imparting education in a medium of instruction of his choice," it added.

The court further held that even a linguistic minority institution cannot be compelled to adopt a particular language as the sole medium of instruction since their right to choice would empower them to take steps in the interests of such minority groups.
"We accordingly hold that the state has no power under Article 350A of the Constitution to compel the linguistic minorities to choose their mother tongue only as a medium of instruction in primary schools," it said.
The court was deciding a bunch of petitions, arising out of a notification by the Karnataka government which sought to make Kannada the sole medium of instruction in primary schools across the state. The SC upheld the state high court order which had held the exercise to be untenable in law, but laid down different rationale.

SC: Govt can't impose mother tongue as instruction medium in primary classes | The Indian Express |

Last edited:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Re: Kannada can't be compulsory for instruction in schools:SC to Karna

Kannada language activists rail against Supreme Court order

[SUP]Members of various organisations protesting against the
Supreme Court's judgment in Mandya on Wednesday.[/SUP]

Expressing shock over the Supreme Court's judgment that struck down the State government order making Kannada the medium of instruction in primary schools, members of various organisations staged protest demonstrations here on Wednesday.

Members of the Karnataka Rarjya Raitha Sangha (KRRS), the Kannada Sahitya Parishat (KSP), the Mahila Munnade, the Karnataka Janashakti and the Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (KRV) participated in the protest.

The protesters formed a human chain at Sri Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar circle on Bangalore-Mysore highway. Later, they staged a demonstration outside the Deputy Commissioner's office here.

The activists urged the State government to immediately file a review petition against the SC order.

English should be taught for the development of the State but not as the medium of instruction in primary schools in the State, KRRS leader Shambhunahalli Suresh told The Hindu .

KSP district president Meera Shivalingaiah expressed disappointment over the order. The State government should question the order by filing a revision petition, she said. "Survival of native culture depends on regional language. Hence, the medium of instruction in primary school should be one's mother tongue, not English," Mahila Munnade leader Mallige Sirimane said.

Writer H.L. Keshavamurthy, KRRS leader Konasale Narasaraju, social activist Sunanda Jayaram, and KRV leader Jayaram strongly advocated compulsory teaching in Kannada medium across the State.

Medium of instruction: activists rail against Supreme Court order - The Hindu

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And a few of this morning's front pages in Kannada news paper world.

"Setback to Kannada"

"Kannada Medha", roughly meaning the sacrifice of Kannada.

"Public opinion is that this verdict is against the very concept of linguistic states"

"Central government (UPA) has kept mum on this topic"

"English medium not accepted"

"A result due to the lack of experts"

Nothing wrong with education in mother tongue | Niti Central

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag

I for myself agree wholeheartedly with the Supreme court judgement ,

I cannot see this sort of imposition by states as anything short of fascism,

The way to promote any language is to better the quality of education in that medium, not by stifling other languages.

ITBP

When Kannada cant be compulsory medium of instruction then it should be taught as a mandatory subject in all schools.

Kids cant decide which medium they would choose, SC's judgement for personal liberty that any one may choose what ever he wants, personal freedom is ridiculous. Nevertheless if here are any Kannadi members, I would like to see their views.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag

When Kannada cant be compulsory medium of instruction then it should be taught as a mandatory subject in all schools.

Kids cant decide which medium they would choose, SC's judgement for personal liberty that any one may choose what ever he wants, personal freedom is ridiculous. Nevertheless if here are any Kannadi members, I would like to see their views.
Quite obviously the constitutional freedom referred to here, is the one to be exercised by the parents .

Going by the argument that kids cannot decide for themselves, education itself should be made compulsory , no ?

and Kannada as a compulsory subject in schools is fair enough IMO.

ITBP

Quite obviously the constitutional freedom referred to here, is the one to be exercised by the parents .

Going by the argument that kids cannot decide for themselves, education itself should be made compulsory , no ?

and Kannada as a compulsory subject in schools is fair enough IMO.
I read in an Website, I cant remember though which Website, that CBSE schools dont teach any other Indian language apart from Hindi and Sanskrit. So do CBSE schools teach Kannada in KA?

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag

I read in an Website, I cant remember though which Website, that CBSE schools dont teach any other Indian language apart from Hindi and Sanskrit. So do CBSE schools teach Kannada in KA?
(Syllabus) CBSE Class IX CCE Syllabus Kannada <- This link would tell you that such is not the case ,

Kannada is already an optional subject in CBSE , its upto KA to make it mandatory in their schools.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag

Yes,you can choose and learn any local Indian language as your subject in CBSE

Sanskrit is not compulsory because AFAIK some people choose Punjabi and other different language in my class.
Hindi is compulsory up to 10th grade and after that its your choice if you want to continue with hindi or not.....

I agree with supreme courts judgement .
Who are these Kannada fascists to impose there views on local population.
Its upto kannada parents to decide if there child will study in Kannada medium or English medium.
It's democracy and government should get the f@ck out of people's personal matter.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles