K-5 SLBM: India’s Next Big thing?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

SOURCE: VISHAL KARPE / FOR MY TAKE / IDRW.ORG / IMAGE COPYRIGHT : IDRW.ORG

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/ .

While India is currently busy carrying out preparation for Developmental trials of countries longest K-4 Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) in next few days, the buzz around is that next big thing to emerge in Indian Strategic calculus in missile technology might be seeing fastening development of K-5 SLBM over Agni-VI. Not so secretive K-5 SLBM will have a range of in excess of 6000 km with 2-tonne payload which can carry four multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads of 500kgs each. While the Actual range of K-5 will remain classified but with MIRV warheads, the missile will be able to hit targets as far as 8000-10000 km. Indian Government seems to be non-committal to confirm if the development of Agni-VI with MIRV is under development but many Defence analysts think that India might be under tremendous pressure to cap its land-based ICBM program in lieu for support from other countries for its NSG entry, this might force India to divert its focus on SLBM development. After series of Developmental trials of Agni-V, India has come under severe Chinese media criticism and some diplomatic pressure from allies to maintain a low profile due to which new pictures of Agni-V launches have not been released, also it has gone missing from Republic Day parade. The family of K-Series of Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) developed by India has been developed under countries Black Project while maintaining a high level of secrecy. K-15 SLBM has 750-1000 km ranged the first missile from K-Series, which was followed up by the development of K-4 SLBM which has a 3500-5000 km range and now next missile to be developed will be K-5 with a reported range of over 6000 km with MIRV Warheads. India at present is constructing Three Arihant Class Nuclear ballistic missile Submarine and lead INS Arihant Submarine already has been inducted into Indian Navy and work on Second Submarine is nearing completion and work are already underway on the third submarine. India also plans to construct bigger and better Nuclear ballistic missile Submarines post completion of work on Arihant Class Submarines and is also planning to develop Six indigenous Nuclear attack Class Submarines to patrol vast Indian ocean. Disclaimer : Articles published under ” MY TAKE ” are articles written by Guest Writers and Opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. IDRW.ORG is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of IDRW.ORG and IDRW.ORG does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same. article is for information purposes only and not intended to constitute professional advice . Article by VISHAL KARPE , cannot be republished Partially or Full without consent from Writer or idrw.org Note: If you have personal opinion and want to contribute for” MY TAKE ”on Defence matters kindly email us at [email protected]

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/ .

http://idrw.org/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I heard about K15, K4, Now K5, K6 and even heard about K2.

Looks like K series is here to stay and will compete with Agni series

Next question what about the land Version of K series ??

K series is sleek and has higher range compare to Agni or Prithvi missiles

Chinmoy

Country flag
As far as news goes, K5 aka A6 would be coming for sure. The report is true to declare that India might not pursue further with Surface based missile as A5 has achieved what it wanted to, the whole of China. If any longer range missile is now to be developed, it would be SLBM which would fit well with India's nuclear as well as political doctrine.

singh100ful

Country flag
I heard about K15, K4, Now K5, K6 and even heard about K2.

Looks like K series is here to stay and will compete with Agni series

Next question what about the land Version of K series ??

K series is sleek and has higher range compare to Agni or Prithvi missiles
Isn't the K-4 based on Agni-3 missile

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
This means no MIRVed BM till 2020 or maybe beyond.

Chinmoy

Country flag
K series height is 12 meters. A5 is arounf 17 plus add gas generator.
Actually any silo based or canister based missile would use gas generator. Same goes for any SLBM including K series. The very concept of K series is submarine based BM. Modified Agni for this role is termed as K series. We are not going to see any land based K system or atleast they would not be named like that. :)

mayfair

I hope this is due to technical reasons and not another show of "strategic restraint"

Eastman

Country flag
I hope the delay is intentional to make the sniffing chinese subs run dry out of ration.

mayfair

^^ Saurav Jha, who is usually very well informed in these matters has tweeted that it has been postponed. I suspect he did not mean by a few hours.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I hope this is due to technical reasons and not another show of "strategic restraint"
If its for any other reason other then technical, then person who is responsible for this should go, for let going our national interest to appease others.

Tarun Kumar

I am pretty sure that something behind the scenes is going on. Paki land also cancelled its planned test . Maybe our deep state is under pressure from Chinese to back down or else things will heat up on borders.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles