Joint Saudi-Indian space research planned

youngindian

Country flag
Jul 4, 2010 23:18 Updated: Jul 5, 2010 01:18

RIYADH: A Saudi delegation is to visit the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) later this month to sign an agreement to boost cooperation in space science that will help Riyadh develop its indigenous space program for peaceful purposes.

The delegation will be composed of scientists from the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) and other scientific institutions in the Kingdom. Details of the visit were disclosed by Rajeev Shahare, outgoing deputy chief at the Indian mission, here on Saturday night.

Shahare was speaking during a farewell party held by the India Business Forum (IBF). The event was attended by a number of businessmen and diplomats, Shahare's wife Preeti Shahare, and many IBF office bearers including Owais Ahmed, Nadeem A. Tarin, S. Ziaur Rahman, Tareq Masood, Dr. Mukhtar Ahmed and Mir Mahmood Ali.

Asked about the details of the space cooperation between Riyadh and New Delhi, Shahare — who will be leaving for New Delhi on Monday — said a memorandum of understanding between KACST and ISRO was signed during Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's visit to Riyadh earlier this year. He said that ISRO, one of the world's leading space research organizations, would provide expertise to Riyadh as it has been conducting a variety of operations for both Indian and foreign clients. Shahare also spoke about his time in the Kingdom. "I personally believe my stay here was a great one, I can't say of its successes, but I am going back with a lot of satisfaction "¦ This is a great country and you have a lot of opportunities, especially business going on with the Saudis," he said.

He added that he also felt touched by the farewell party, speakers' remarks and floral tributes.

Speaking on the occasion, IBF President Ahmed said that Shahare had been instrumental in boosting Indo-Saudi ties. "In fact, IBF was Shahare's brainchild," said Ahmed.

This view was echoed by several other speakers who praised him for his catalytic role in improving Indo-Saudi relations, and hoped he would return to the region as an ambassador.

Shahare's wife Preeti received her share of encomiums with speakers calling her a "great" lady and an embodiment of all that is good and graceful.

"The Shahares may be leaving for India and we will miss them, but they will always be with us in our hearts and minds," said Tarin, another IBF office bearer.

Ahmed also presented a memento to Shahare at the end of the party.

Photojournalist Wasif Bhai presented a memorial CD to Shahare containing a valuable collection of Shahare's photos taken during his four-year stay in Riyadh.

Prior to coming to Riyadh, Shahare served Indian missions in Cairo, Aden, Geneva, Bahrain and Mauritius.

http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article78663.ece

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think that india should never help saudi arabia to develop its own space programme -since it must remember that 90% of all major terrorist activities in india is funded by riyadh via isi.also they funded pakistan's controversial nuclear programme.and more importantly thist knowledge may be passed by them to pakistanis.

Country flag
i think that india should never help saudi arabia to develop its own space programme -since it must remember that 90% of all major terrorist activities in india is funded by riyadh via isi.also they funded pakistan's controversial nuclear programme.and more importantly thist knowledge may be passed by them to pakistanis.
India and Saudi relations are entering a new era, we will be working with them on their space program but I am sure it is in non strategic areas. The Saudis are a good partner for space projects they can provide the funding(which we may not need) and we have the manpower, space will become more and more commercialized and this is a good beginning. We can look at many nations that have had history similar to Saudi-Pak relations if we ignore them and keep ourselves isolated because of the past we will not be able to move forward. There will be agreements which will keep all technology off-limits to third countries.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles