Join the army, Kargil hero's mother urge country's youth

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Join the army, Kargil hero's mother urge country's youth

Losing her only son at the oxygen-sapped heights of the treacherous Batalik terrains during the Kargil war has not deterred Amirthavalli from launching a drive to motivate youth to join the armed forces.

Amirthavalli, the mother of Kargil martyr Major Mariappan Saravanan, has set up a Memorial Trust at Tiruchi in Tamil Nadu with a mission to encourage the youth to join the Indian army.

Popularly known as the 'Hero of Batalik', Major Saravanan, who braved all odds to capture point 4268- a well fortified Pakistani position at a height of 14229 feet on Jubar Hills in the Batalik sector, laid down his life as a first officer of the Indian army on May 28, 1999.

"Major Saravanan Memorial Trust has been set up by his mother in his native place-Tiruchi. The aim of the trust is to campaign for the army," an officer said in Batalik.

"The trust visits schools, holds seminars and camps in colleges and universities round the year to motivate youth to join the army," he said.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I can assure you that while the pay and perks may not be great, the life is full of adventure and great to build character.

I joined when the 1962 War was on. I should have not joined if I were scared. I joined. I have faced all the wars thereafter and also CI including unofficial campaigns. I could have died, but what of it. I didn't.

I don't regret a moment.

The areas of the country, the mountains etc I have seen, even if you are a millionaire, you would not see!

And in today's army, at the drop of a hat, people are going abroad on course, discussions, seminar and all that!

It was a fun time and real adventurous and the love and affection of my men even today, even though I am no longer in uniform is so heartwarming.

Nam, Namak and Nishan!!

p2prada

I can assure you that while the pay and perks may not be great,
I strongly disagree.

I don't know about the pay and perks for the army. But, take a look at the airforce pay at the entry level.

Indian Air Force : Career Opportunities
1. Pay in Pay Band ( Common to all Branches ) - Rs 15,600 Per Month ( The officer will be placed in PB 3 - 15600-39100 )
2. Grade Pay :- Rs 5400 PM
3. Military Service Pay :- Rs 6000 PM
4. Dearness Allowances @ 22 Percent :- Rs 5940 PM
5. Kit Maintenance Allowance :- Rs 400 PM
6. Transport Allowance :- Rs 3200 + DA ( major cities) / 1600 + DA ( Other cities)
This is higher than most MNCs quote by atleast 2 times. And this is the old pay and not part of the new 6th pay commission figures. The new figures will be applied from April next year.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When I retired and my daughter joined a MNC, she earned more than what was my last pay drawn!

My service is from 1967 (not counting the time in NDA and IMA) and I retired in 2002 and she just joined!

You be the judge.

Transport allowance is on the kms logged.

p2prada

Sir, all that amounts to 37000 pm.

Edit: One more point. If you join at the graduate level, then post graduation is free in the top universities in the country in the field of your choice after 1 year of service. Paid leave for education.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But the fact remains that we have a problem with the number of officers in the army. The shortfall of 13000 odd officers in the army and pilots in AF. We had many moving from the AF to private commercial airlines as it paid better.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Edit: One more point. If you join at the graduate level, then post graduation is free in the top universities in the country in the field of your choice after 1 year of service. Paid leave for education.
Are you meaning 'study leave'?

That is done to equip you for civil life when you retire.

ajay_ijn

Country flag
I can assure you that while the pay and perks may not be great, the life is full of adventure and great to build character.

I joined when the 1962 War was on. I should have not joined if I were scared. I joined. I have faced all the wars thereafter and also CI including unofficial campaigns. I could have died, but what of it. I didn't.

I don't regret a moment.

The areas of the country, the mountains etc I have seen, even if you are a millionaire, you would not see!

And in today's army, at the drop of a hat, people are going abroad on course, discussions, seminar and all that!

It was a fun time and real adventurous and the love and affection of my men even today, even though I am no longer in uniform is so heartwarming.

Nam, Namak and Nishan!!
Sir where were you posted during 65, 71 and 99?

mig-29

I still regret the day when i was rejected from NDA due to medical reasons , i had such urge to join the forces alas now unable to do it , i have lots of my classmates and friends in the armed forces my father is a retired IAF admin officer so i have lived all my childhood and college life in the air force campuses across the country and believe me that life is entirely different from the civilian life.

p2prada

Are you meaning 'study leave'?

That is done to equip you for civil life when you retire.
Yes, study leave for the duration of the free course and you are paid for it. Its a 10 year contract. Study leave is after 1 year of joining the IAF. Also, the contract can be extended.

prahladh

Respected Member

Is this tax-free. If not can't compare it with MNC salaries. The salries in MNC grows every year at atleast 8-10%. I don't know if that happens in IAF.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Yes, study leave for the duration of the free course and you are paid for it. Its a 10 year contract. Study leave is after 1 year of joining the IAF. Also, the contract can be extended.
What contract?

Regular officers sign no contract!

I am not aware of SS officers since it was not my cup of tea!

This is all a part of the Pull and Push concept of the Singh Committee!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is this tax-free. If not can't compare it with MNC salaries. The salries in MNC grows every year at atleast 8-10%. I don't know if that happens in IAF.
Not even my pension is tax free!!:Laie_39:

MNC?

My son in law, a young chap on the happier and right side of 40, lives in a Rs 4 lakh per month apartment! He never discloses his pay to me! He says that it would give me a heart attack! :)

My other son in law and daughter, earns way way beyond what I can imagine.

I don't grudge them, since if it is what the market pays for their work, so be it!

However, this I will say, their companies squeeze every penny they pay out of them!

That is not so with the Armed Forces. True, life is cheap in the Army, but then there is time to play games and indulge in sports, which is so essential to give the mind and worries a rest!

To me, money is not the be all and end all of life. Living life whole, is!

prahladh

Respected Member
I don't know about army/IAF but I uploaded my resume into Brahmos Aerospace. Waiting if they have anything interesting.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
but sir today its all about $ $ its no more about Honor the flag or the salt sadly so

p2prada

What contract?

Regular officers sign no contract!

I am not aware of SS officers since it was not my cup of tea!

This is all a part of the Pull and Push concept of the Singh Committee!
Well, I called it contract cause I don't know what else to call it.

If you join you have to work for atleast 10 years(can be extended) in the IAF.(I guess it will be excluding the years spent in education). You cannot decide to leave mid way without paying a large sum of money as liabilities. Something followed by MNCs too. There is one more where the maximum period you can work for is 14 years, cannot extend.

MNC?

My son in law, a young chap on the happier and right side of 40, lives in a Rs 4 lakh per month apartment! He never discloses his pay to me! He says that it would give me a heart attack! :)

My other son in law and daughter, earns way way beyond what I can imagine.
Sir, are they in India or outside(like US or Europe)? Because if it is outside then the pay packets are not as significant when you convert it into dollars.

Eg: Our well publicized IIM graduates can very well be earning Rs 95000 pm. But, all that amounts to only about $2000 pm. Pretty modest for a post graduate.

Nothing is tax free. And yes, the growth in a MNC is massive compared to the Armed Forces.The Sixth pay commission is quite generous, by the time you are a wing commander expect to take home 75000-100000 a month. But, the job satisfaction is better in the Armed forces. You get free accommodation, healthcare and your children get free school education too.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But P2P people are not joining the Armed forces. The reason is money. According to your arguments, we should have massive queues outside NDA and IMA.

mig-29

But P2P people are not joining the Armed forces. The reason is money. According to your arguments, we should have massive queues outside NDA and IMA.
Yusuf recently there has been a surge of young people applying towards the Government jobs and it is also in the defense sector due to the recession and hopefully Indian armed forces will be able to bridge the gap .

IMHO the only problem is Indian defense sector is not able to lure away the brightest candidate from the private sector since the pay package plus all the other perks is far more than what they would get in ARMY.

Flint

There are long lines to join the army, longer than ever before infact, but the problem isn't quantity as much as quality. The best of the best are no longer joining.

Also, money is not the only issue. The sustained high casualty rates in the army is also prompting people to think twice before joining, who have other career options.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
MiG you mentioned govt and defense sectors, but it says nothing about the Armed forces.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles