Jinnah made a mistake and I am ashamed of being Pakistani!

Voldemort

Country flag
I google 'Pakistan' on the news and everything that is reported is about death, destruction, squabbling politicians, ailing children, extremists blowing up things and a struggling economy.

Anyone who has ever travelled abroad will tell you that no matter where you go, no matter how developed the country it is that you're travelling to – if you're a British national or a Caucasian American, the doors become friendlier. The security becomes less pressurising. Visa queues are shorter. Procedures are simpler.

If you're a brown Pakistani man (or even woman) who is travelling to another country – that's a whole other story. You're working in the Middle East, chances are your salary is just a little bit above the basic working wage – or anything that will get you a bed-space with seven other human beings. Respect is minimal. You're not supposed to ruffle any feathers. Or demand for rights. Your children are thousands of miles away studying (because you can't afford education for them here), your wife probably has another job to help make ends meet and your job squeezes every drop of your blood into a tiny container that helps build the skyscrapers and that little container is thrown away quicker than you can say 'burj', as soon as your company decides to say bye bye.

Pretty much the equivalent of"¦ well, I don't know. What is that the equivalent of? What analogy do I draw to represent the utter misery that is being a Pakistani in this super-power dominated world?

As if the current state of the country, what with its years of dictatorship and lack of infrastructure, hasn't driven us insane enough, there is the added bonus of inviting religious extremists and letting them destroy everything we hold near and dear. Sure, apologists will reason it saying "this is not true Islam" and whatnot. But my question is when – seriously – when do we set aside the debate of what is true Islam and what isn't?

Let the clerics and the religious scholars sit in their mosques and minibars – oh I meant minbars. But once and for all, eliminate and annihilate the savage, beastly, cowardly, immoral men who buy the bodies of fragile, poverty-stricken, desperate men, strap them with explosives and send them into markets with innocent women and children. Finish these abhorrent elements in the society that attempt to throw us back to the Stone Age.

A recent article in the New York Times reported on the World Health Organisation (WHO) declaration of the polio emergency in Pakistan.

Last year, a polio worker was killed in Peshawar, as well as another who was shot dead in Khyber Agency. Several were kidnapped in Bara. In January this year, gunmen killed three health workers taking part in a polio vaccination drive in Karachi. Not Kabul. Not Sierra Leone. Not Riyadh. Karachi. My heart boils and burns as more devastating news and reports flood the channels. The New York Times article further stated that according to a report, the highest refusal rates for polio vaccination were recorded in wealthy neighbourhoods of Karachi because they had "little faith in public health care". In North Waziristan, the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have forbidden vaccinations since years. Pakistan thus has 59 polio cases to report, the most of any in the world.

Being a mother, it scares me. It keeps me awake at night. It reminds me that even if I run far far away from the borders of my own land, its demons will continue to haunt me and my future generations. I Google 'Pakistan' on the news and everything that is reported is about death, destruction, squabbling politicians, ailing children, extremists blowing up things and a struggling economy.

I raise my eyes to our neighbouring country and see what could have happened if we were still a United India. Maybe we would have been polio free too. We would have been a unified part of a process of being the world's next big force to reckon with. Of being a part of the next blazing economy.

I find myself deeply wishing that Jinnah hadn't made this mistake – that he had thought about the future of Pakistan. He didn't think of the obscurantist mindset that he had propelled forward, the countless millions that died at the hand of this vague agenda that fails to unite us as a nation. I look at the years of struggles that Pakistan faces, the fall of Dhaka, the provincial wars, the stark separatist mindsets and I wonder what Mr Jinnah was thinking when he decided to leave the Indian National Congress (INC).

We share more with our Indian brothers than our ancestral DNA. Our food, language, clothes, lifestyles are more like them than the Arabs we so badly want to mimic and ape. I stare at the green passport with the same self-loathing as the fat 16-year-old girl with pimples on her face who is told that she cannot get married because she will always be blind, diseased and fat and her elder, stronger, prettier, better-educated sister will snag all the good catches because she ended up with the better caretaker after the divorce of their parents.

I am ashamed of being a Pakistani today. I am ashamed that I belong to a country that kills human rights lawyers and sitting governors, and issues death threats to university professors. I am ashamed that we believe in spaghetti monster theories and pie in the sky conspiracies and risk the future of our children. I am ashamed that we have rejected our scientists just because they believe in a different dogma. I am ashamed that we cannot protect our women, we cannot protect our children and we cannot protect our men from the evil that is extremism, fundamentalism and the foolhardy idea that Pakistan is a great nation.

Pakistan is a fledgling, flailing state. And those 59 children, whose legs can never work anymore, the family of Raza Rumi's driver, those who shed tears for Salman Taseer, for Perveen Rehman, for Rashid Rehman, for Dr Murtaza Haider and his 12-year-old son – every single person who went out to have a normal day and never made it home alive – are all paying the price of the empathy, respect and awe YOU show cowards like Mumtaz Qadri.

So, to every single person who defends their patriotism blindly and their religion with a bullet, I hope you know exactly whose side you are on. I hope you sleep well at night knowing that you are on the side of the murderers.

Jinnah made a mistake and I am ashamed of being Pakistani! – The Express Tribune Blog

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
pakistan is the biggest mistake ever made by human kind in the history of solar system:lol::lol:
Pa Ji .... they belong to and believe in Lunar system......

Bhuttos claim that they are Chandravanshies....

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
well this article misses some points
the reason of formation of pakistan is political and not religious
to elaborate my statement here is what jinah said after formation of pakistan " we have to make a SECULAR country"

so this gives a blue that jina was aiming power and in united india he would have been subordinate to nehru and patel (
not mahatma gandhiji cause he wasn't a powerseeker

POSSIBLE

well this article misses some points
the reason of formation of pakistan is political and not religious
to elaborate my statement here is what jinah said after formation of pakistan " we have to make a SECULAR country"

so this gives a blue that jina was aiming power and in united india he would have been subordinate to nehru and patel (
not mahatma gandhiji cause he wasn't a powerseeker
the reason of formation of pakistan was political and religious.

muslim league was a small group until 1930 it was gandhi who make them a big deal and then they back stabbed him.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
the reason of formation of pakistan was political and religious.

muslim league was a small group until 1930 it was gandhi who make them a big deal and then they back stabbed him.
and gandhi made them big deal because he was aiming an united india

POSSIBLE

and gandhi made them big deal because he was aiming an united india
bro do you think we readed right history,history can be manipulated

gandhi and nehru were nothing but the puppet of british government.
gandhi projected nehru as next P.M. and avoided vallabh bhai patel because nehru was loyal to british government even jinnah was a lot senior then nehru.
gandhi was the one who given permission of subhash chandra bose's home arrest.
their are many event occurred that time that implies that gandhi wanted his monopoly in congress.

we say that we won our freedom but do you think that actually happened ?
because i don't think so.
After WWII britain lost all of his power,his powerful navy by which they ruled over the India they were not in position to run their law in india.

gandhi was the one who signed on the partition papers and then acted as a helpless victim in west bengal while showing his fake tears.

Last edited:

Voldemort

Country flag
Gandhi deserves the least amount of credit for India's independence. The way he opposed Netaji and Patel is for everyone to see. His attitude towards Bose is not something to be proud of.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
stop mentioning me in your bs threads!
Maybe we also want to hear some sane thoughts as you do.

Don't take BW too seriously. He loves to startle and we have got used to him.

He is equally vitriolic with us, when the opportunity presents itself to him.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is not Jinnah alone who created Pakistan.

Abdul Gafoor Abdul Majeed Noorani, known popularly as A. G. Noorani, then Mr Gandhi too has played his role even though Gandhi famously stated - Partition over my dead body!

Partition happened and it continues to haunts as it is haunting this poor Pakistani lady.

India is better placed since such obscurantist philosophy has not taken hold of the country's governance.

Yet, we must accept the truism that one cannot turn the clock back.

Let us move on, each to our fate and filled with hope of a better tomorrow.

Last edited:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
gandhi was the one who signed on the partition papers and then acted as a helpless victim in west bengal while showing his fake tears.
I am no defender of Gandhi , but Really !! :laugh: Where did u get this ? What Papers ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Who was responsible for the Partition of India, in 1947 ??? Mr. Jaswant Singh writes in his latest book that it was Mahatma Gandhi ( & Nehru ) who was responsible for the Parttion of India, and Not Jinnah, who , Jaswant singh claims in his book, was a secular Nationalist.

Whereas, in his review of Jaswant Sing's recent published book, M. J. Akbar writes, "Jinnah wanted a secular nation with a Muslim majority; Gandhi desired a secular nation with a Hindu majority. The difference was the geographical arc. Gandhi had an inclusive dream, Jinnah an exclusive one"

Furthermore, putting more oil on the FIRE, former chief of RSS, K S Sudarshan, on Tuesday, said in Indore that Jinnah was ''a true (Indian) nationalist'' and secular in his outlook until he was painted and pushed in a corner by Congress leaders like Jawaharlal Nehru.

Sudarshan praised Jinnah's secular outlook by recalling that ''when Mahatma Gandhi supported the Khilafat movement in 1919, Jinnah opposed it. He had argued that Indian Muslims had no connection with the Khalifa of Turkey. But nobody heeded Jinnah. After this, Jinnah left for England and returned only in 1927.''

He went on to say that it was not Jinnah, but Gandhi's soft corner for Nehru that resulted in the 1947 partition of the country. He also said that Gandhi had repeatedly offended and insulted Jinnah. ''One day, when Jinnah went to meet the Mahatma, he was made to wait for an hour. Jinnah was a man of self-respect."

"Had Gandhi wanted, there wouldn't have been Partition"

He further added that it was not Jinnah, but Gandhi's soft corner for Nehru that resulted in Partition.
"The British had poisoned his (Jinnah's) ears. Later, Gandhi tried convincing Jinnah but it was too late. Had Gandhi wanted, there wouldn't have been partition. But he was inflexible because Nehru was his weakness,'' Sudarshan said. ''Jinnah had worked with Lokamanya Tilak. He was a man committed to the nation,'' said Sudarshan.

And to almost authenticate their comments, noted historian and head of the Indian council for historical research (ICHR) Sabyasachi Bhattacharya has said that Many authors and historians have already stated that Jinnah was not in favour of Partition or creation of Pakistan.

WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR PARTITION-JINNAH OR MAHATMA GANDHI ?!?

I think this is a bit overboard.

Jinnah was the architect for the creation of Pakistan.

All those who were in confabulation during that period must have contributed after the fact, each in his own way and now in hindsight all that is open to interpretation to suit the opinionmaker's agenda.

Last edited:

Voldemort

Country flag
I am no defender of Gandhi , but Really !! :laugh: Where did u get this ? What Papers ?
It is no secret that had Gandhi stopped his non violence thing during WW2, India would have achieved Independence withoup partition. The British chips were down, all it needed was a call from a national leader for an uprising. Also dont forget the Naval mutiny. Gandhi condemned the uprising instead of supporting it. His actions were despicable.

bose

Country flag
Gandhi deserves the least amount of credit for India's independence. The way he opposed Netaji and Patel is for everyone to see. His attitude towards Bose is not something to be proud of.
How about Gandhi's attitude towards Shaheed Bhagat Singh's hanging in Lahore??

Gandhi was a very shrewd person and he dislikes persons who have the capacity to eclipse his popularity...

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
@POSSIBLE
helping bose would have have a chance to arrest gandhi
do you even know how history is written?
history is written by written proof and not by aggressive talks
if gandhi wouldn't have signed partition treaty then it would have been turned into terrorism, rapes of hindu woman, riots

Last edited by a moderator:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
It is no secret that had Gandhi stopped his non violence thing during WW2, India would have achieved Independence withoup partition. The British chips were down, all it needed was a call from a national leader for an uprising. Also dont forget the Naval mutiny. Gandhi condemned the uprising instead of supporting it. His actions were despicable.
don't you surprise why there wasn't any resistance from indians in british military since 1957
it was gandhi who ignited minds of those indians in british navy

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles