JF-17 Thunder / FC-1 Xiaolong

A.V.

Islamabad, Mar 7 (PTI) Pakistan and China today signed an agreement for the serial production of 42 JF-17 Thunder jet fighters, which are expected to form the backbone of the Pakistani aerial combat fleet in coming years.
Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood, the chief of the Pakistan Air Force, said the first squadron of JF-17s would be inducted into his force this year.

Though Pakistan is facing a financial crunch, the serial production of the aircraft is being started with the cooperation of the Chinese government, Mahmood said. Pakistan has invested USD 600 million in the JF-17 project.

The agreement for producing the jets was signed at the PAF headquarters by Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Chairman Air Marshal Khalid Chaudhry and M A Zhiping, President of state-run China Aviation Import-Export Corporation.

The ceremony was attended by Mahmood and Chinese Ambassador Luo Zhaohui.

Under the agreement, China will provide credit financing for manufacturing the jets. Payments will be made to China in seven years, Mahmood said.

The JF-17 is a lightweight, all-weather, multi-role combat jet developed jointly by Pakistan and China. The Pakistan Air Force has so far received eight JF-17 jets that are being used for testing and evaluation.

Mahmood also said that Pakistan would receive its first Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft from China by the end of 2010. PTI

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Mahmood also said that Pakistan would receive its first Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft from China by the end of 2010. PTI
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they planning to buy some Swedish AWACS... In fact, I think the order for the Swedish AWACS is out already.

Then, why the Chinese AWACS ???

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Under the agreement, China will provide credit financing for manufacturing the jets. Payments will be made to China in seven years, Mahmood said.
Any interest they'll be charging for the seven year period ??? Or, is it an interest free "loan" that they're getting. Or credit, should I say ???

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they planning to buy some Swedish AWACS... In fact, I think the order for the Swedish AWACS is out already.

Then, why the Chinese AWACS ???
Yes three Swedish AWACS for western platform based fighter planes like F16 Mirages JF17 with western avionics etc.Chinese will be for chinese based systems.

Triton

Founding Member
PAF, Chinese firm sign deal to build JF-17 aircraft

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Air Force and a Chinese firm signed an agreement on Saturday to produce a series of JF-17 (Thunder) aircraft for PAF.

The agreement, signed by Pakistan Aeronautical Complex chairman Air Marshal Khalid Chaudhry and CATIC president M.A. Zhiping, will be on the basis of ‘seller’s credit’. Under the agreement, 42 fighter jets will be produced jointly for PAF.

Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed and Chinese Ambassador Luo Zhaohui attended the signing ceremony.

Talking to reporters, the air chief said ‘in the beginning we will produce 15 aircraft annually and the number will later increase to 30. The programme will be carried out in phases.’

He said the first squadron of the fighter jets would be inducted into the PAF fleet by the middle of this year, adding that PAF had been using eight jointly produced aircraft for the past couple of years. The fleet would be raised in Peshawar, he added.

About the delivery of AWACS system to Pakistan, the air chief said an agreement had already been reached with a Chinese firm for start of delivery by 2010.

‘On the delivery of first AWACS system, Pakistan will pay 10 per cent cost of the aircraft while the remaining amount would be paid on instalments,’ he added.

He said the agreement between Pakistan and China for the delivery of the J-10 aircraft was intact and these aircraft would be delivered to PAF in 2014-15. The aircraft were being modernised in accordance with PAF’s requirements and would be delivered under the title of FC-20.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Pak to start production of JF-17 'Thunder' by month-end

Pak to start production of JF-17 'Thunder' by month-end

Islamabad (PTI): Pakistan will start the serial production of JF-17 'Thunder' warplane, jointly developed with China, by the end of this month, with the first indigenously produced combat jet set to take to the skies by end of the year.

"We will start production of this aircraft from the 30th of this month and Inshallah, the first made-in-Pakistan JF-17 aircraft will fly in Pakistan's airspace by the end of this year," Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman said.

Addressing a graduation ceremony of a combat commanders' course held at an airbase in Sargodha on Saturday, Suleman said the programme for building the lightweight, all-weather, multi-role combat jet is on track.

Pakistan and China signed an agreement in March for the production of 42 JF-17 fighters, which are expected to form the backbone of Pakistani aerial combat fleet in coming years.

Though Pakistan is facing a severe financial crunch, the production of the jets is being started with the cooperation of the Chinese government. Pakistan has invested $600 million in the JF-17 project.

The Pakistan Air Force has so far received eight JF-17 jets from China that are being used for testing and evaluation. The PAF plans to raise its first squadron of JF-17 jets by the end of this year and it will be stationed at an airbase in Peshawar.

Pakistan's decision to begin indigenous production of the JF-17 comes at a time when the military is making extensive use of airpower in operations against the Taliban in the country's northwest.

Combat jets and gunship helicopters have been used to bombard militant hideouts in Swat valley and South Waziristan, the stronghold of local Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud.

Air Chief Marshal Suleman said: "PAF has extensively flown against the militants in Swat as well as in FATA (Federally Administered Tribal Areas). Application of airpower has brought about tangible results.

"This is a new type of warfare in which PAF has been participating for the first time during the last one year or so in support of the Pakistan Army. We will continue our contribution towards our national security effort as long as it is required".

Air Chief Marshal Suleman noted that apart from "the traditional hostile adversary, new frontiers of conflict have lately emerged for us in the west and from within. These developments pose a great deal of threat to our national security."

The Hindu News Update Service

masterofsea

Pakistan began its own assembly of JF-17 fighters

Pakistan Air Force (PAF) started assembling of the first Pakistani-built JF-17 Thunder combat aircraft on Tuesday, local TV channel reported.
Rao Qamar Suleman, Chief of Staff of the PAF, inaugurated the construction in a ceremony at Amra which houses the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex in the mountainous north of the Punjab province. Top military and civilian officials of Pakistan and China attended the ceremony, the private TV channel GEO NEWS reported.
GEO NEWS quoted Suleman as saying that this success will enhance Pakistan's air power in the region and at international scale. Suleman praised the Chinese cooperation and said that the joint Sino-Pakistan project is a living example of the cooperation between the two countries.
Pakistan and China signed an agreement for the production of 42 JF-17 fighters, which are expected to form the backbone of Pakistani aerial combat fleet in coming years.
The Pakistan Air Force has so far received eight JF-17 jets from China that are being used for testing and evaluation. The PAF plans to raise its first squadron of JF-17 jets by the end of this year.

Pics

Global Times - Pakistan began its own assembly of Xiaolong fighters

A.V.

good news for pakistan
but whats the update from china, are they are they interested on jf-17 or is it just means to generate funds for its own program ?

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Is china interested in this plane? I mean, I wouldnt be if I had the J10, which is superior in all respects. I feel Pakistan should have gone for more J10s instead of F17s! But maybe the PAF might have some trick up its sleeve or maybe just short of cash, since China is financing the first 40 JF17s. Correct me If I am wrong.

Koji

The PLAAF has rejected the JF-17, and has no plans for adoption. As far as I know, the JF-17 was used to beef up China's own aviation industry (for export and indigenous development) while simultaneously increasing bilateral ties with Pakistan.

Country flag
what if pakistan takes the 40 free planes that china is giving and cancels the order???

ahmedsid

Top Gun
The PLAAF has rejected the JF-17, and has no plans for adoption. As far as I know, the JF-17 was used to beef up China's own aviation industry (for export and indigenous development) while simultaneously increasing bilateral ties with Pakistan.
Koji, can you tell us why exactly it was rejected? Any good news in the chinese media??

Koji

what if pakistan takes the 40 free planes that china is giving and cancels the order???
Considering the financial state of Pakistan, the Chinese are probably already assuming these jets are gifts already (just like those new frigates).

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
So, what radar, engine, avionics are going into this JF-17?. Any info?

Koji

So, what radar, engine, avionics are going into this JF-17?. Any info?

First 50 are going to incorporate Chinese gear, except for the engine which is the Russian RD-93 (Same engine modern Migs use). The radar will be the Chinese KLJ-7, is an X-band airborne fire-control radar (FCR) developed by Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technology (NRIET. The KLJ-7 has multiple modes, both beyond-visual-range (BVR) and close-in air-to-air modes, ground surveillance modes and a robust anti-jamming capability. The radar can reportedly manage up to 40 targets, monitor up to 10 of them in track-while-scan (TWS) mode and simultaneously fire on two BVR targets The second batch will most likely have European upgrades.

It is known that a helmet-mounted sights/display (HMS/D) system will be installed on the JF-17, although the exact type is yet to be confirmed. This system assists in targeting enemy aircraft by projecting targeting information onto the pilot's visor and tracking the movements of his head/eyes. Also to be integrated is a FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red) pod for low-level navigation in low visibility and IRST (Infra-Red Search and Track) system for passive monitoring and targeting of enemy aircraft

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
First 50 are going to incorporate Chinese gear, except for the engine which is the Russian RD-93 (Same engine modern Migs use). The radar will be the Chinese KLJ-7, is an X-band airborne fire-control radar (FCR) developed by Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technology (NRIET. The KLJ-7 has multiple modes, both beyond-visual-range (BVR) and close-in air-to-air modes, ground surveillance modes and a robust anti-jamming capability. The radar can reportedly manage up to 40 targets, monitor up to 10 of them in track-while-scan (TWS) mode and simultaneously fire on two BVR targets The second batch will most likely have European upgrades.

It is known that a helmet-mounted sights/display (HMS/D) system will be installed on the JF-17, although the exact type is yet to be confirmed. This system assists in targeting enemy aircraft by projecting targeting information onto the pilot's visor and tracking the movements of his head/eyes. Also to be integrated is a FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red) pod for low-level navigation in low visibility and IRST (Infra-Red Search and Track) system for passive monitoring and targeting of enemy aircraft
So they are not happy with chinese gear :wink:.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
First 50 are going to incorporate Chinese gear, except for the engine which is the Russian RD-93 (Same engine modern Migs use).
I think RD- 33 series 3 and RD-33MK are what modern Migs use.

Koji

once we knock one of these sick birds out of the sky we will get to know the plane much better,
and see what the chinese have put into it.
Does it matter? The J-10 or other birds the PLAAF has in its inventory will most likely have different gear.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles