JF-17 Thunder / FC-1 Xiaolong

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
Let us not focus on what is Pakistan's contribution in JF17 because it makes the debate look negative. We should be more focused and objective, as per defense is concerned how much JF17 will pose threat to India wil make more sense.
Let's discuss JF17 capabilities if everyone agrees.

smartindian

Country flag
Let us not focus on what is Pakistan's contribution in JF17 because it makes the debate look negative. We should be more focused and objective, as per defense is concerned how much JF17 will pose threat to India wil make more sense.
sir i got banned in pakistan defence forum for just asking the capabilities of that plane , here i read some article in which it describes that 70% of jf17 component are same as mig-23 let us discuss the true ability of that plane without any bias

smartindian

Country flag
Originally Mikoyan MiG-23. Fuselage, Tail and rear wings of the aircraft are almost
70% similar to those of JF-17 which is a joint venture of China and Pakistan. The
only exception are the front Wings which are totally different. Internal
Specifications of both the aircraft are also not alike. Designed by Kazunori Ito.
Pakistan Air Force Textures by Umair Ayaz

link:Flight Simulator X - FS2004 PAF JF-17 ''Thunder'' Originally Mikoyan MiG-23. Fuselage

smartindian

Country flag
Guys i Posted a Point related to JF17 in Pak defence forum.. i got banned since telling the real aspects of the aircraft.
what more can you expect from a direction less fellow from a direction less country.

when they have excepted the truth. that forum is totally bias.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
It is a decent fighter but in the current configuration it doesn't pose any threat to Indian Air Force. It can pose threat in future if Pakistanis go for western avionics, western radar and western weapons systems but with the current Chinese avionics and weapons it not a big threat. Also it has the problem of underpowered engine, very old all metal airframe design which exhibits drag and slows it down. But the fighters that JF-17 is going to face in future will be Su-30MKI, MMRCA, PAK-FA and it will be a dead meet in front of them because of their powerful radars, sensor fusion systems, ECM, better weapon systems, speed and better maneuverability which puts them at least 1 generation ahead of JF-17 and not to forget AWACS assistance that Indian fighters will get.

Last edited:

Solid Beast

A good read, informative article and factually correct for the most part. I brought up similar points in a Pakistani forum and was harrassed and banned over questions such as, "J-10 program was almost identical in time-frame to FC-1, why the hell did we choose this underpowered cold war relic?", etc. I never got any answer worthy of a mention. J-10 even though still behind by western standards, if far superior in any category than the JF-17 Tanduri. Supposedly the Chinese are secretly upgrading the J-10 with PAF help. I doubt this because they didn't need any of our help in making the JF-17 other than offering soft loan poison and taking our hard saved billions.

The author is correct for many reasons when he states that Thunder was inducted in numbers and given big standing ovations because of an ego that needed to be massaged by "indigenous" production label. Far from the case as we travel through many time zones just to receive the engines. Cash is exchanged through 3 different hands just for the heart of the aircraft. The fighter is an absolute disgrace to PAF who were flying J-6, J-7, 40 year old Mirages, etc, Fantan junks, etc. and now have to field something much technically inferior to anything their number 1 counterpart will be inducting in the future. The radar is 3 times less capable than the one in the SU30MKI. Pakistan chose China and now has to stick with this bad decision for dozens more years. We only ordered a fistful of new capable, proven and technically superior F-16 but a dozen squadron worth of sweet and sour scrap metal whose engine is Russian. Our air force managed to maintain a deterrence factor with F-16 even during lack of spares due to sanctions, which shows the quality of this bird. If we are so scared of sanctions, perhaps we should change our policies and duplicitous ways.

Last edited:

gogbot

It took the Chinese well over 2 decades to make the J-10

rocky2

JF-17 was built by China only for Pakistan, using Pakistani funded $500 million.
(otherwise, China never needed to built JF-17).

PLAAF has never shown interest in JF-17 so far, and is most unlikely to induct it.

Generally, it is seen that people who would go to any length to defend J-10, would never defend JF-17. Only pakistanis defend JF-17. If anyone else buys it, all the better.

I do think JF-17 deserves more respect than it gets, from the people who built it.

pankaj nema

Country flag
The Chinese have their hands full .Right now they are making J 10, J 11, J 15 carrier based plane and J XX stealth.
Even if China has infinite money , human resources are always finite.

JF 17 is not a Chinese priority So for China to allocate their human resources for upgrading and improving this JF 17 plane is just a waste of time and energy.

smartindian

Country flag
JF-17 was built by China only for Pakistan, using Pakistani funded $500 million.
(otherwise, China never needed to built JF-17).

PLAAF has never shown interest in JF-17 so far, and is most unlikely to induct it.

Generally, it is seen that people who would go to any length to defend J-10, would never defend JF-17. Only pakistanis defend JF-17. If anyone else buys it, all the better.

I do think JF-17 deserves more respect than it gets, from the people who built it.
well said rocky. but pakistan is still purchasing it on soft loan, they dont even have the money to pay for it so they want to desperately export it make some profit so they can pay it back to chinese .

Last edited:

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The point is if China is not going to buy JF-17 no one else is going to buy. It will indicate to other countries that manufacturer itself doesn't believe in this fighter, so no point in believing it as no upgrades or support will be forthcoming in the future. Will anyone buy Rafale if french themselves don't buy it??. Same goes for JF-17.

o'conor

But in pakistani forums people are saying srilanka & some african countries have already ordered this aircraft. can anyone clarify?

smartindian

Country flag
even we dont know what type of avionic they are using in jf-17 when we ask they tell it top secret .simply they dont have money to upgrade with western avionics .

o'conor

last i heard they are using some Chinese avionics saying its more advanced than what French were offering & as a response to french snub for there jf17 upgrade deal due to India. Surely china would be gifting them on soft loans.

SHASH2K2

last i heard they are using some Chinese avionics saying its more advanced than what French were offering & as a response to french snub for there jf17 upgrade deal due to India. Surely china would be gifting them on soft loans.
Its not about Avionics. Its about Inflated Egos of Pakistanis. Their ego is better and bigger than even Americans . SO bigger Ego = Better avionics and better plane.

charlie

Country flag
well it took a lot of effort for china to make j10 a success story well there was a lot of russian assistance and guidance for that program and it was the russian engineer who blew up the secret saying that the chinese got the design from Israel and it was based on lavi and some technical assistance was given to them actually this is a bit off topic but i heard some where but now sure that indian AWACS were original designed for chinese by Israel but at the last moment the deal was off and some of the integration process of IL 76 was already planned by Israel and that benefited india

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles