JF-17 Thunder / FC-1 Xiaolong

shiphone

Country flag
Looks like Jf17 Blk3 and J20 use same Head Up Display (HUD).
Plus, there is good possibility that Jf17 Blk3 will use same Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) as the one used in J20.
Both these products are the best China can offer in combat aviation market.
I'm afraid neither is possible/reasonable.

the HUD thing was explained earlier.and the HMD is more like something similar to JHMCS -a modular helmet display mounted on a light weight standard pilot helmet . we have seen the PLAAF Self-used model of J-10C along with the NewGen WVR missile PL10... an export project was code-named as HMD1...

Last edited:

Dazzler

how could be ?...be realistic plz...

there are three Generations of holographic HUD projects in China. the J20 owns the latest Generation one. that EHUD-2 is just the improved 2nd Gen one for EXPORT purpose with some 3rd Gen tech ... the typical 2nd Gen one is the holographic HUD on J11B/15/16/10B/10C.
I quoted someone, if you have a problem, go to his twitter handle and argue.

shiphone

Country flag
the so called source actually is our distinguished 'old/retired' forum moderator of the most Historic military forum in China, an 'old' buddy of mine...hahahahaha...

he just had some new comments about this issue on his social media account-Weibo (not twitter) this morning after some new info surfaced....your 'someone' might change the tone later ,or not...lol..

btw, since you reposted or quoted the information to the forum, I will take it as your approval of this information, and then my reponse on the forum is very appropriate....it's funny to ask me to argue somewhere else...

Last edited:

cyclops

Country flag
The spine is different...widened & raised like later Mig-21 Bis/Bison versions. Most likely to make room for fuel. No new engine, so increased range.
That's claimed to be a new wide-angle holographic HUD (somewhat negated by HUD, but still advantageous)... it's crude & cumbersome . I'm not sure if Tejas Mark 1A will be getting MAWS.
Both points to FC-1 Block III in that case.Sure? This being their first one, is still untested. So they could be using the Paki platform until it matures.

OrientalGamer

Export version is down graded, this apply to all. Pakistan will never get the Same
Don't know look like the airframe just like blk2 so not much aerodynamic behavior change can expected, but if it have improved engine and gud radar may be it will be worth to 10% fan fart given by pak boys
change aerodymic design means the previous design is a failure, for example......

Dazzler

the so called source actually is our distinguished 'old/retired' forum moderator of the most Historic military forum in China, an 'old' buddy of mine...hahahahaha...

he just had some new comments about this issue on his social media account-Weibo (not twitter) this morning after some new info surfaced....your 'someone' might change the tone later ,or not...lol..

btw, since you reposted or quoted the information to the forum, I will take it as your approval of this information, and then my reponse on the forum is very appropriate....it's funny to ask me to argue somewhere else...
Thats the funniest thing i have read in a while. You should try humor.

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
CAC/PAC FC-1 Xiaolong/JF-17 Thunder with KG-600/700 series jamming pod.

This pod has a bandwidth of 2-18 GHz and is inferior to Dassault Rafale's SPECTRA system which has 2-40 GHz bandwidth. Even the Elta 8222 on HAL Tejas mk1A has superior performance with 2-21 GHz badwidth.
FB_IMG_1580655069401.jpg
FB_IMG_1580655073789.jpg

Bhurki

CAC/PAC FC-1 Xiaolong/JF-17 Thunder with KG-600/700 series jamming pod.

This pod has a bandwidth of 2-18 GHz and is inferior to Dassault Rafale's SPECTRA system which has 2-40 GHz bandwidth. Even the Elta 8222 on HAL Tejas mk1A has superior performance with 2-21 GHz badwidth.View attachment 42319 View attachment 42320
Spectrum shows the capability range.. Peak power is what shows the strength.
Spectra is a self protection jammer. However, KG600 can be used offensively.
The former are powered by energy provided by engine alternator, so max power is limited. However, KG600 is powered by Ram opening that provides higher power output.
8222 is probably more comparable role, but looks smaller in size.
Closer pics showing ram outlets
KG-700 ECM 3.JPG
KG-700 ECM.JPG

vampyrbladez

Country flag
The former are powered by energy provided by engine alternator, so max power is limited. However, KG600 is powered by Ram opening that provides higher power output.
View attachment 42328 View attachment 42330
1. SPECTRA has the ability to be used for EW and has been used to that effect in Libya and Mali.

SPECTRA also has Active Cancellation to reduce it's own RCS.

Active cancellation means preventing a radar from detecting a target by firing back a deception signal with the same frequency as the reflection, but precisely one-half wavelength out of phase with it. Result: the returned energy reaching the radar has no frequency and can't be detected.

It's quite as difficult as it sounds. Some reports have suggested that the so called SP-3 or ZSR-62 "radar jamming device" planned in the early days of the B-2 program was an active cancellation system. It did not work and was scrapped in 1987-88. In 2005, Northrop Grumman paid $62 million to settle a False Claims Act case involving the system.

This may not be the first French attempt to implement AC on the Rafale. At the Paris air show in 1997, I interviewed a senior engineer at what was then Dassault Electronique, about the Rafale's Spectra jamming system. He remarked that Spectra used "stealthy jamming modes that not only have a saturating effect, but make the aircraft invisible... There are some very specific techniques to obtain the signature of a real LO aircraft."

"You mean active cancellation?" I asked. The engineer suddenly looked like someone who deeply regretted what he had just said, and declined any further comment.
(As Hobbes once put it after pouncing on an unsuspecting Calvin: "We tigers live for moments like that."*)
http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=27978

2. ELTA 8222 WB jammer pods can take care of AIM 120 C-5 Pakis have in their inventory as shown by the evasive manoeuvres taken by the Su 30 MKI during the February dogfight. Having a smaller size shows better miniaturisation, lower weight and reduces RCS. Taken in with the greater operating BW, it is much better than any Chinese equivalent which is also a Self Protection Jammer Pod.

Compared to the KG 600

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
View attachment 42328 View attachment 42330
Chinese are at least two generations behind western avionics. These comparisons are meaningless.

Bhurki

Chinese are at least two generations behind western avionics. These comparisons are meaningless.
I wouldnt think so..
Considering that they've been producing flanker versions for quite a while now on their own, they are quite adept at upto 4th gen avionics.
5th gen avionics is anybody's guess. But the integration of the variety of control surfaces like high offset angle canards, all moving vertical stabs etc on J20 mean that they do have capability to produce some high quality avionics.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles