JF-17 Thunder / FC-1 Xiaolong

undeadmyrmidon

As I said, that's the common misconception, but just as IAF showed USAF, that even a low end Mig 21 with the right capabilities and external support can be a credible opponent, PAF can use a 4th gen JF17 with AWACS and tanker support and far better capabilities than the limited F16, to combine it good defensive and offensive tactics.

An F16 that is limited to basic air defence and strike capabilities, or the use of force multipliers, is limited in it's operations. It relis on it's own radar mainly to detect sir targets and need to cross into our airspace to do strikes.
JF 17 benefits from long range AWACS guidance and can use stand off strike weapons even within their own airspace, to attack us.

Tactics and the combination of assets, instead of individual capability.
JF 17 is a MiG 1.33 evolved. It started as a F 7 upgrade and even PLAAF rejected it. All planes today have been upgraded for network centric capabilities. However maneuverability, range, payload, agility, rcs and sensor capacity mean lightweight fighters are more of an interceptor than a full fledged multirole fighter. All this AWACS - Cross Sensor fusion is BS PAF brass tell themselves as something that helps them sleep better at night!

undeadmyrmidon

In the recent prototypes, the initial once that PAF tested were either sourced or jointly developed with S. African support. Not sure if they changed it completely for JF17 and FC1, or if PAF gets an own version. Either way, it shows the improved freedom PAF has now, without being dependent on what the US allows them with the F16s.
Without F 16 Pakistan is screwed. China won't give them J 11, J 10 without exacting their pound of flesh from them. That's why they must depend on USAID for spares, maintenance and upgrades, Turkey too relies on NATO for their own fleet. All the hubris aside.

Dazzler

They have limitations as per some reports, and were suggested to get air cooled performance

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk
Air cooled variant is to become an upgrade option for previous generation fighters. Being smaller, it needs less cooling as it is less powerful compared to the Klj-7A. Hence, being air cooled will make it an easy to swap radar for previous generation fighters, and even for early blocks of jf-17.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Air cooled variant is to become an upgrade option for previous generation fighters. Being smaller, it needs less cooling as it is less powerful compared to the Klj-7A. Hence, being air cooled will make it an easy to swap radar for previous generation fighters, and even for early blocks of jf-17.
An air cooled AESA radar... that's pretty funny.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Dazzler

Trying to run an AESA radar without an independent cooling unit is like trying to run a tank on cheap oil.

https://southfront.org/30-pakistani-al-khalid-tanks-broke-faulty-ukrainian-supplied-machine-oil/
It depends on several different factors like the transmitter power, type of TR modules used (GaS or GaaN) and processors among others. The radar is actually developed and is on trials as of now.

http://www.guancha.cn/military-affairs/2017_04_18_404246.shtml

lcafanboy

Country flag

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It depends on several different factors like the transmitter power, type of TR modules used (GaS or GaaN) and processors among others. The radar is actually developed and is on trials as of now.
GaN would make it even hotter as it runs 10X more power. The problem for everyone trying to field it in an aircraft is trying to cool the thing off. It is funny enough to say a GaS AESA is air cooled. To say a GaN AESA is air cooled is like running a tank with NO oil.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

http://www.guancha.cn/military-affairs/2017_04_18_404246.shtml
With a substandard cooling, the micro chips will be a baked potato in few minutes of operations. Try a weather forecast on your PC .

Dazzler

Chinese AESA are like their counterfeit IPHONE (with substandard Hardware) which looks like IPHONE but runs on Android OS which looks like IOS...............

Actually China is selling their PESA radar (again substandard) and naming it AESA...........
With a substandard cooling, the micro chips will be a baked potato in few minutes of operations. Try a weather forecast on your PC .

Lol, why dont you move them a suggestion convey your concerns. Ask them to stop the production. All AESA armchair generals sit here after all.

Reactions: Neo

Dazzler

Chinese AESA are like their counterfeit IPHONE (with substandard Hardware) which looks like IPHONE but runs on Android OS which looks like IOS...............

Actually China is selling their PESA radar (again substandard) and naming it AESA...........
At least they have a few of them in working condition, unlike some that never leave the test bench :)

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
At least they have a few of them in working condition, unlike some that never leave the test bench :)
Yep they have after being assisted heavily by Russia for airborne aircraft size. You didn't answered, how gonna you save the semi conductors from frying on board at maximum usage with substandard cooling.

Dazzler

Yep they have after being assisted heavily by Russia for airborne aircraft size. You didn't answered, how gonna you save the semi conductors from frying on board at maximum usage with substandard cooling.

I didnt design the radar neither i claim to be an expert unlike your radar engineers. I shared the news though ;)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles