Jawans in Siachen May Have Been Given Substandard Snow Suits To Fight -60 Deg C

harsh

Country flag
New Delhi: It's a major exposé!

In a major fraud related allegation, it has been said that substandard snow suits were supplied to Indian Army jawans posted at icy peaks of Siachen Glacier.

A Sri Lankan firm - Rain Wear - allegedly supplied substandard snow suits to Indian Army, according to a report in CNN-News18.

Claims have been made that Rain Wear allegedly used substandard material to make snowsuits which can withstand up to only -15 degrees Celsius.

Noteworthy, Siachen temperatures dip to as much as -60 degrees Celsius.

The alleged inferior quality clothing was procured from the Sri Lankan firm in 2012, however, no action was taken despite subsequent tip-offs.

The documents suggest that the firm cheated the Government of India to the tune of USD 2,80,000 over the procurement of these inferior quality snow suits. A letter written on August 24, 2015 by a former employee of Rain Wear reveals that the company got the contract to supply three-layer snow suits in 2012.

In the 5th paragraph of the letter, the employee states that the second layer green fabric supplied to the Indian Army jawans are no longer windproof and waterproof.

Reportedly, the employee specifically mentions that wind and water can easily seep in through the inferior quality suits.

OrangeFlorian

Anon Supreme
Why the fuck are we buying snow suits from a country that doesn't even reach a low of 20 degrees Celsius on average in any known province. That and the fact that they can't have winter due to their proximity to the equator so they likely wouldn't know what materials to use for the snow suits. Surely the Government had at least thought of that.

Last edited:

Flame Thrower

folks, did you observe one thing....

How soldiers are surviving, hell patroling the borders with these suits..!?

If suits can withstand only -15'C then how are they living in -50'C..!!!??

I think this is just a dumb article just to bring siachen into picture...

AnantS

Country flag
What is so special about these suits that those cannot be manufactured in India? Many populated places in India experience freezing temperature during winters, hence there exists a natural market.
L1 is the reason, not capability

DingDong

Country flag

Sometimes, soldiers purchase their own kit to survive corruption and L1.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Firstly, You have to understand the amount of troops working there which is in thousands at a vast area..

Not one firm is responsible for supplying these clothing and gadgets ..

==============

If i remember correctly we use specifically Swiss made clothing ..

harsh

Country flag
I think
this deal was done by some corrupt officials and politicians. And now when they know that this suit was of no use then then honest defence minister try to cover up for his corrupt colleagues.
You know trying to cover up someone corruption is not a wrong thing in india.
These snow suits are now found in some store and news came out.

Bahamut

I have talked to people who have served in siachen and they all have complain about it. Can't DRDO develope similar suit for IA.

tejas warrior

Country flag
I have talked to people who have served in siachen and they all have complain about it. Can't DRDO develope similar suit for IA.
In fact, any private organization can pitch in and take responsibility to develop and manufacture these things.. It will be cheaper than Swiss made products for sure.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
If i remember correctly we use specifically Swiss made clothing ..
this is what troubles me. Neither swiss not french have such high altitude topo. Yes there are alps but not as harsh as Himalayas.

What stops our brainy people to go to himalayas get the parameters and data and create suits.

don't we have cotton, don't we have rubber industry or may be we lack labour or expertise.

No we just lack will.

Bahamut

this is what troubles me. Neither swiss not french have such high altitude topo. Yes there are alps but not as harsh as Himalayas.

What stops our brainy people to go to himalayas get the parameters and data and create suits.

don't we have cotton, don't we have rubber industry or may be we lack labour or expertise.

No we just lack will.
In such condition denial synthetic fiber r used, I hope this govt. address it, it is a very important issue.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
DRDO have design such clothing but the manufacturer of these clothing via some Private co is not upto the mark ..

No we just lack will.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
DRDO have design such clothing but the manufacturer of these clothing via some Private co is not upto the mark ..
other reason could be , they do not want army to be very comfortable and cosy.

While innovation in defence clothing is important, let Armymen also have the will power to sustain any climate,” said Lt Col (retd) Jayakumar, who served at Siachen. Brig. Bharathan added that the Army would never let down people and cited the example of how soldiers produced results at the Siachen glacier whether they had warm clothing or otherwise.

so this is the ideology and thinking process of our military planners and those who guide DRDO scientists.
http://archives.deccanchronicle.com...article/drdo-design-army-suits-manage-climate

Global Defence

New threads

Articles