Japan lifts ban on arms export. Will create a balance of power in the

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Re: Japan lifts ban on arms export. Will create a balance of power in

From the article

Expectedly China has been prompt to criticize the move by Japan.

China's foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei told at a press briefing.
Japan's policy changes in military and security areas have a direct bearing on the security environment and strategic stability of the region, as well as on the direction of Japan's future development,

"We hope the Japanese side can draw profound lessons from history and pay attention to the security concerns of its Asian neighbors," he said.

Hong also expressed hope that Japan can pursue a path of peaceful development and take other actions that are conducive to regional peace and stability.

The reason for China's anguish about the lifting of arms exports by Japan is obvious. It feels threatened by Japanesw sale of weapons to the South East Asian nations that are threatened by China which will inhibit its expansionist policies.

Ever since Shinzo Abe has become the PM of Japan, he has been aggressively pursuing better ties with SEA nations touring them and also developing defence ties with them. In recent months Cambodia sealed a defense deal with Japan and secured $135 million in infrastructure loans, Singapore expressed understanding for Abe's efforts to boost his military, and Vietnam has warmed up to Japan.
Abe has pledged $20 billion in aid and investment for Asean nations over the next five years and is offering Japan's military expertise as well. Asean defense officials agreed to cooperate to use Japanese defense equipment to help respond to natural disasters and anti-terrorism operations.

China's criticism of Japan's lifting of this arms exports ban comes at a time when China itself has been steadily increasing its arms sale. Recently China overtook France to become the worlds fourth largest arms exporter. What's to note is that three fourth of its arms sale are to Pakistan, Bangladesh and Myanmar. All three are neighbors of India and China has actively aided Pakistan against India including proliferation of nuclear weapons and missile technology and using Pakistan to keep a check on India. China is now afraid that Japan will arm its adversaries in the South China Sea region.

Japan lifting its arms exports ban will mean that India will get the US2 seaplanes that India has expressed interest in. Beyond this, India can now explore opportunities to pursue joint ventures, co-development of weapons systems and also expand its options for other weapons imports. India can look at Japan's Soryu class of attack submarine with AIP for its project 75i of submarines. These subs are also under consideration by Australia to replace its Collin class submarines. This will further strengthen India's strategic relations with Japan which is also seeking to form a security alliance with India along with Australia.

China has this dog in the manger attitude.

She can merrily sell weapons and undertake nuclear proliferation, but let someone else do it, and China will howl, apart from trotting out pious platitudes and mealy mouthed homilies.

It is good that Japan is selling weapons and their technology is world class. It will ensure that the nations threatened by China are suitably equipped to take on the challenge of the Red Dragon.

India should go in a big way to enter into joint partnership in weapon manufacturing.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

From the article

China has this dog in the manger attitude.

She can merrily sell weapons and undertake nuclear proliferation, but let someone else do it, and China will howl, apart from trotting out pious platitudes and mealy mouthed homilies.

It is good that Japan is selling weapons and their technology is world class. It will ensure that the nations threatened by China are suitably equipped to take on the challenge of the Red Dragon.

India should go in a big way to enter into joint partnership in weapon manufacturing.
Sir the article is written by me :)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Sir the article is written by me :)
Now that MJ Akbar, a fine journalist otherwise, has joined politics, you seem to be totally suitable to fill that space.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Now that MJ Akbar, a fine journalist otherwise, has joined politics, you seem to be totally suitable to fill that space.
I am no journo Sir. Very limited in my ability to write. Not eloquent. I speak my mind that's it

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

I am no journo Sir. Very limited in my ability to write. Not eloquent. I speak my mind that's it
At least you have a mind! :)

There are many journalists who are brainless wonders, writing mindless articles!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles