Japan, India plan joint space research project

Country flag
Japan, India plan joint space research project - Yahoo! News

Japan, India plan joint space research project
AFP

Japan, India plan joint space research project AFP/File – Japan and India plan to launch their first joint space research project this year, an experiment in growing …
Fri Jun 12, 7:00 am ET

TOKYO (AFP) – Japan and India plan to launch their first joint space research project this year, an experiment in growing plants in zero gravity, a Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency researcher said Friday.

The two Asian powers are set to launch a small and unmanned Indian-made satellite in October, carrying Japanese laboratory equipment, that is set to orbit for about one week at a height of around 600 kilometres (370 miles).

Aboard the satellite they will seek to grow a type of algae, said Noriaki Ishioka, a professor for Japan's space agency JAXA, who called the experiment "a basic study on photosynthetic activity in space."

"We will retrieve the satellite after a week or so and conduct genetic examinations on how the zero-gravity environment affects photosynthesis."

While the project could eventually pave the way for "space farming," he cautioned that the basic experiment -- using a type of algae called spirulina, not related to the food supplement of the same name -- was an early step.

"Spirulina is edible, but it doesn't taste so good," he said.

Japan already sends astronauts to the International Space Station and has conducted a variety of space experiments in its Kibo laboratory.

But the joint project with the Indian Space Research Organisation aims to allow Japan to diversify its channels for space research.

Koji

Any word on whether the space delivery platform will be Japanese or Indian?

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Wow......are the japanese funny or what ??

For the last 50 years almost since India's independence.....the Japanese have been holding scientific, military, and industrial cooperation with India at an arm's length.

Almost everything they do with India must have Uncle Sam's approval, and must not piss off the Chinese.

They are like a bunch of frightened rats afraid of their own shadow.
When India went for Pokhran tests, they immediately threw sanctions on India.

Even with an increasingly hostile China on our borders.....they still dont want to play ball with India. This is suprising because they are equally suspicious of China.

And finally now they have taken Indo-Japanese scientific cooperation to a whole new level - growing spirulina in space !!!!

Boy...if this isnt comedy at its best......

NikSha

In the end all that matters is that ISRO grows and expands and becomes the NASA of Asia as far as I am concerned, algae or no algae.

Koji

For the last 50 years almost since India's independence.....the Japanese have been holding scientific, military, and industrial cooperation with India at an arm's length.

Almost everything they do with India must have Uncle Sam's approval, and must not piss off the Chinese.

They are like a bunch of frightened rats afraid of their own shadow.
When India went for Pokhran tests, they immediately threw sanctions on India.

Even with an increasingly hostile China on our borders.....they still dont want to play ball with India. This is suprising because they are equally suspicious of China.

And finally now they have taken Indo-Japanese scientific cooperation to a whole new level - growing spirulina in space !!!!

Boy...if this isnt comedy at its best......
Some Japanese people still have a rooted idea from WWII that they are superior to Asians, followed by East Asians, and then followed by everyone else in Asia. Your post reminded of this.

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
Yeah Koji ......I agree with your assessment......this was apparent the first time i landed at Narita Airport 24 years ago on transit to the US as a student. I could see it in the way the Japanese Immigration official treated me. I was only staying overnight for a connecting flight and it was amazing how rude this guy was to me.

The bottom line as far as japan goes is simply this: the darker your skin...the more you are looked down by Japanese society.

But there is a bright side.....in my last few jobs.... I worked with lots of young Japanese engineers and they are a lot more open-minded than the older generation, and less racially biased.

The younger generation is better.

rocky

Yeah Koji ......I agree with your assessment......this was apparent the first time i landed at Narita Airport 24 years ago on transit to the US as a student. I could see it in the way the Japanese Immigration official treated me. I was only staying overnight for a connecting flight and it was amazing how rude this guy was to me.
I do not agree with your generalized assesment of Japanese society. I mean Immigration Officials are rude no matter which country you go to. US immigration officials are most rude (especially post 911). Indian immigration officials are no less worse. So I think we need a bigger sample set of population to make these kind of comments.

The reason India and Japan could never co-operate was because of cold war alliances. Japan was firmly in US orbit and at that time US - China relations were cosying up. But to Japan's credit it never supplied any dual use technology to Pakis who were their cold war ally. I think now Japan has started to take a more independent approach to foreign policy and defense and this has been good news for India. Also just an fyi Japan was one of the largest donor (foreigh aid) to India even during cold war era and there were no strings attached to this aid.

Koji

I do not agree with your generalized assesment of Japanese society. I mean Immigration Officials are rude no matter which country you go to. US immigration officials are most rude (especially post 911). Indian immigration officials are no less worse. So I think we need a bigger sample set of population to make these kind of comments.

The reason India and Japan could never co-operate was because of cold war alliances. Japan was firmly in US orbit and at that time US - China relations were cosying up. But to Japan's credit it never supplied any dual use technology to Pakis who were their cold war ally. I think now Japan has started to take a more independent approach to foreign policy and defense and this has been good news for India. Also just an fyi Japan was one of the largest donor (foreigh aid) to India even during cold war era and there were no strings attached to this aid.
That doesn't mean anything. Japan is usually the largest donors of money to a lot of countries, including India and Pakistan.

and older Japanese do consider the north-east Asians to be the best, with them at the top. They are very racist towards non-Oriental Asians.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles