Japan Dumps AIP for Lithium-Ion Submarine Propulsion

lookieloo

Japan To Make Major Switch on Sub Propulsion | Defense News | defensenews.com

Japan has decided to power its new batch of Soryu-class submarines with Lithium-ion batteries instead of air-independent propulsion (AIP) technology — a move that could raise eyebrows after similar types batteries were faulted for fires aboard the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.

However, experts brush aside those concerns and instead say this type of technological leap increases power and performance, while reducing maintenance. It also could make Japanese subs more marketable overseas...

...The current Soryu-class submarines are propelled by a large electric motor that has three power sources: diesel engines, the AIP engines and main storage batteries. Diesel engines, which require oxygen for combustion, power the boats on the surface or while snorkeling. The boats can snorkel for extended periods to limit their detectability while transiting submerged (only the snorkel mast is above the water) or for short periods to quickly recharge their batteries after operating underwater. The AIP engines — which burn small quantities of diesel fuel and liquid oxygen — are used for long-range underwater cruising at low speed, and to keep the batteries topped off. The batteries are used for ultra-quiet operation as well as high-speed underwater operations, which quickly depletes them.

By shifting to Lithium-ion batteries, the new Soryus would retain their main propulsion diesels, but be equipped with more powerful and far lower maintenance batteries than lead-acid types widely in use...

...For the Navy, Kojima said AIP technology, which reduces the speed of submerged submarines to just a few knots, is being increasingly seen as too slow for emerging strategic uses and that the Navy regards AIP as maintenance intensive. Improvements in batteries make this technology the better long-term bet.

Bob Nugent, a consultant at naval consulting firm AMI International, said it is "plausible" that going to Li-ion batteries will provide more speed and power.

The Soryu-class is about one-third larger than most European subs that use AIP technology, he said, adding the increased power and energy density of the batteries would allow for longer cruise and sprint bursts of speed...
Ok, so the Japanese are just substituting better batteries for a Sterling engine; but my gut tells me this could be a huge development in conventional submarine technology. Just imagine the market/performance possibilities raised by swapping lead-acid for lithium in other diesel boats!

pmaitra

Would Litium-ion batteries be more expensive than the traditional AIPs? Not that is matters if it is just a little bit more expensive. I guess Lithium-ion battery makers will make a lot of profit, not the AIP makers.

lookieloo

Would Litium-ion batteries be more expensive than the traditional AIPs? Not that is matters if it is just a little bit more expensive. I guess Lithium-ion battery makers will make a lot of profit, not the AIP makers.
I'd have expected you to be more pleased. Ditching traditional AIP technology for lithium-ion power simplifies the powertrain for high-performance SSKs, likely reducing costs. It also adds the prospect of relatively cheap retrofits to older boats.

pmaitra

I'd have expected you to be more pleased. Ditching traditional AIP technology for lithium-ion power simplifies the powertrain for high-performance SSKs, likely reducing costs. It also adds the prospect of relatively cheap retrofits to older boats.
Japan is pioneering this idea with subs, so yes, I would certainly give them credit. You are correct about the simplified powertrain. I didn't think about that.

anupamsurey

Country flag
its a good move, the use of LI ion battery is cheaper, easily available and more safer. and yo don't have to get air independence in such sources.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles