Jallikattu Ban: Elites vs Local Tradition

indiatester

Country flag
How so? Court is doing its job. AIWB and other complainants have approached the court alleging TN legislation violates constitution. Now court has to adjudicate, it has no choice. Why the animosity against SC?
The issue is with respect to interpretation of laws. In cases where the legislative has taken the route of actually passing a law, the court has chosen to use a supporting note from central govt to impose a complete ban.
The use of judicial orders in getting sun screens off cars has not created much uproar, but that again is court creatively using existing provisions to do what it thinks is better.
The same yardstick does not hold when going against other issues.
We will digress the topic if we start discussing where all SC has used dual standards.

IndianHawk

Country flag

What is the expectation of these:rage: presstitutes marons??o_O
These pressitudes wants to disrupt national unity.

But in general I support crushing any violent movement . Constitution grants right of peace full protest not violent.

If any protest across the nation turns violent govt has a right to use all kinds of gun.

Krusty

Country flag

But in general I support crushing any violent movement . Constitution grants right of peace full protest not violent.

If any protest across the nation turns violent govt has a right to use all kinds of gun.
Normal citizens Organised peaceful protests . Vested interests highjacked the protests. Police used force and mainstream media made it seem like the burden (of blame)is on normal citizens (Hindus). So who's to blame and how are Hindus supposed to protest? It will be highjacked anyway... food for thought ..

Jagdish58

I agree with you if the same turns violent or any anti national slogan shouted that has to be put down by force

But comparing Kashmir situation with Kaveri protest & Jallikattu protest is naive

IndianHawk

Country flag
Normal citizens Organised peaceful protests . Vested interests highjacked the protests. Police used force and mainstream media made it seem like the burden (of blame)is on normal citizens (Hindus). So who's to blame and how are Hindus supposed to protest? It will be highjacked anyway... food for thought ..
When a protest is highjacked by goons then normal citizens can retreat to other places and distance themselves with those destroying public property , burning vehicles etc.

Also it's quite visible as to who is doing what with cameras and all violent elements must be crushed violently.

But comparing Kashmir situation with Kaveri protest & Jallikattu protest is naive
No one is comparing.
But still jallikattu or Kaveri or jat or gujjar no one has any right to destroy public property or stop traffic or trains or burn any public or private vehicle.

This kind of violation of law and order makes our nation look like a banana republic. Investors are driven away . Tourists are scared for life and our own people suffer immensely.

Jagdish58

When a protest is highjacked by goons then normal citizens can retreat to other places and distance themselves with those destroying public property , burning vehicles etc.

Also it's quite visible as to who is doing what with cameras and all violent elements must be crushed violently.

No one is comparing.
But still jallikattu or Kaveri or jat or gujjar no one has any right to destroy public property or stop traffic or trains or burn any public or private vehicle.

This kind of violation of law and order makes our nation look like a banana republic. Investors are driven away . Tourists are scared for life and our own people suffer immensely.
Yup agreed , but what I meant is on tweets for usage of pallet guns by comparing apple to orange

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yup agreed , but what I meant is on tweets for usage of pallet guns by comparing apple to orange
Pellet guns are not needed . In most cases air firing, tear gas does disperse the crowd.

As long as protesters are not trying to kill police officials ( as they do in j&k ) minimum force should do the job.

Also historically police has resorted to open firing to stop riots so pellet guns are actually a softer measure.

dhananjay1

It's funny how jallikattu overnight became backward Hindu religious custom to a 'pure dravidian non-aryan' cultural custom of 'Tamil people'. :lol:

Krusty

Country flag
It's funny how jallikattu overnight became backward Hindu religious custom to a 'pure dravidian non-aryan' cultural custom of 'Tamil people'. :lol:
I am genuinely interested. Who apart from Tamil people organise Jallikattu? Please don't answer with 'similar' events like kambala

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I meant in a historical sense. Tamil people have been organising it for over two millennia.
Haven't done research, but Chittoor's culture is heavily influenced by Tamil Nadu, I usually say chitoor guys are Telugu speaking Tamils.

It is safe to assume Chittoor guys have been having jallikattu for the same period of time.

But when we into interior andhra, different types of bull based games are played. I know one place where game is about how much weight the bull can pull.

Krusty

Country flag
Haven't done research, but Chittoor's culture is heavily influenced by Tamil Nadu, I usually say chitoor guys are Telugu speaking Tamils.

It is safe to assume Chittoor guys have been having jallikattu for the same period of time.

But when we into interior andhra, different types of bull based games are played. I know one place where game is about how much weight the bull can pull.
Cool. I Didn't know about Chittoor. Is it also for choosing bulls for breeding?

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I am genuinely interested. Who apart from Tamil people organise Jallikattu? Please don't answer with 'similar' events like kambala
I meant in a historical sense. Tamil people have been organising it for over two millennia.
There are some village-type areas in KL which do a very similar event, though I don't think it is called JK. But the process is quite similar to JK. One of my maternal relatives from the previous generation (i.e. my mom's generation) died during one such event.
I don't know the specifics, will have to ask my mom.

In addition in parts of KL and KA, bull-surfing also happens (Kambala, I know you said don't mention it, but just puting it here.)

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@ezsasa There are several chitoor's spread over the 4 states, I guess you mean the one near Vellore?

Last edited:

here2where

There are some village-type areas in KL which do a very similar event, though I don't think it is called JK. ...
Dont think there is anything similar to tamil-style JK in KL state. What is conducted is KA-style kambala in flooded paddy fields post-harvest, locally called kalapootu or maramadi.
Btw, kalapootu is popular in malappuram area and kerala muslims are active in it. They went ahead, defied SC and conducted it even after the ban came into effect in 2014.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Dont think there is anything similar to tamil-style JK in KL state. What is conducted is KA-style kambala in flooded paddy fields post-harvest, locally called kalapootu or maramadi.
Btw, kalapootu is popular in malappuram area and kerala muslims are active in it. They went ahead, defied SC and conducted it even after the ban came into effect in 2014.
As I said I'm not sure about the specifics.
Will try to get some info and get back to you on that.

dhananjay1

It's not a comment on whether anyone out side Tamil Nadu practices Jallikattu like events. It's about appropriating and 'secularizing' traditions of Hindus under name of 'secular tamil nationalism'.

Krusty

Country flag
It's not a comment on whether anyone out side Tamil Nadu practices Jallikattu like events. It's about appropriating and 'secularizing' traditions of Hindus under name of 'secular tamil nationalism'.
Right ... I see where this is headed.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles