Jai Hind from an Islander

Narasimh

Country flag
Dear Members,

I am an islander, born and brought up in Port Blair. Presently residing out of country but wish to be back very soon.
Have immense respect for our cultural, vedic and spiritual heritage.

I like myself to be associated with many "isms" like optimism, criticism, pragmatism, nationalism etc but detest "cynicism" and "defeatism". People stereotyping members of any group or community is also a point of objection for me but sometimes i fall for that too without realizing because of anger or frustration.

My interest in Defense Forces was since childhood days and it really got a push when for the first time I saw couple of Jaguars ripping the skies of Port blair in November in 2001. Have been following the Defence space since.

I have visited INS Rana and INS Viraat and have seen ANC set up radar stations in Port blair in an area which was visible on my way to school. Have watched IL-76, An-32 and Dorniers operating from PB airport(INS Utkrosh) on regular basis. Have interacted with many Navy and Army personnels. Have been lucky enough to see Aero India 2011 in b'lore.

I am proud of and love my country but I am aware of its deep rooted problems as well. Hope to learn many good things on this forum.

Jai Hind!

VaghaDeva

sum gai
Dear Members,

I am an islander, born and brought up in Port Blair. Presently residing out of country but wish to be back very soon.
Have immense respect for our cultural, vedic and spiritual heritage.

I like myself to be associated with many "isms" like optimism, criticism, pragmatism, nationalism etc but detest "cynicism" and "defeatism". People stereotyping members of any group or community is also a point of objection for me but sometimes i fall for that too without realizing because of anger or frustration.

My interest in Defense Forces was since childhood days and it really got a push when for the first time I saw couple of Jaguars ripping the skies of Port blair in November in 2001. Have been following the Defence space since.

I have visited INS Rana and INS Viraat and have seen ANC set up radar stations in Port blair in an area which was visible on my way to school. Have watched IL-76, An-32 and Dorniers operating from PB airport(INS Utkrosh) on regular basis. Have interacted with many Navy and Army personnels. Have been lucky enough to see Aero India 2011 in b'lore.

I am proud of and love my country but I am aware of its deep rooted problems as well. Hope to learn many good things on this forum.

Jai Hind!
Well hell yeah don't we all love the Army and hate defeatists shilling for the enemy (ISI, Naxalites, JNU scum) within our ranks! Your all right!

VaghaDeva

sum gai
Wasn't Port Blair the capital of the Japanese occupied Azad Hind government?

Narasimh

Country flag
Thank you VaghaDeva! Nice to find like-minded members like you..

Yes Port blair was under British and then Japanese control during WW2. The "Cellular jail" or "Kalapaani" is the single most stark reminder of the great history of it.
Remnants of Japanese bunkers and jettys are still present on many islands.

Many great souls had stepped on to the island including Netaji and Veer Savarkar..

VaghaDeva

sum gai
how bad did the Nips destroy the islands anyway? A lot of people must have died.

Narasimh

Country flag
how bad did the Nips destroy the islands anyway? A lot of people must have died.
Well there were quite a few British settlements in nearby islands - Ross and Viper island. Apart from that they did not have much to destroy which the british had not already destroyed.
British actually wiped out an entire tribe called "Aberdeen" (don't know if the tribe was named after the place or the other way round).. The Aberdeen warriors fought valiantly and later commanded respect from their conquerers even.
Have seen many plays on the Aberdeen conflict in port blair during cultural festivals.

There are many endangered tribes still living there like the Jarawas, Onges, Shompen, Sentinels etc who are a subject of anthropological study.
They use prehistoric means to survive even now in the jungles..
They are exploited for tourism and people go to see them in their habitat for fun..
ASI has tried to bring them into mainstream.. Many people have come. Yet many are just happy being left to themselves.

VaghaDeva

sum gai
Well there were quite a few British settlements in nearby islands - Ross and Viper island. Apart from that they did not have much to destroy which the british had not already destroyed.
British actually wiped out an entire tribe called "Aberdeen" (don't know if the tribe was named after the place or the other way round).. The Aberdeen warriors fought valiantly and later commanded respect from their conquerers even.
Have seen many plays on the Aberdeen conflict in port blair during cultural festivals.

There are many endangered tribes still living there like the Jarawas, Onges, Shompen, Sentinels etc who are a subject of anthropological study.
They use prehistoric means to survive even now in the jungles..
They are exploited for tourism and people go to see them in their habitat for fun..
ASI has tried to bring them into mainstream.. Many people have come. Yet many are just happy being left to themselves.
Stuff like that doesn't really make it to the mainland for some reason. Don't know why

Narasimh

Country flag
Stuff like that doesn't really make it to the mainland for some reason. Don't know why
Yeah.. Media too busy getting TRP.. Have hardly ever seen a national media house reporting on Andamans.. Doordarshan reports sometimes I know but private media houses hardly move anywhere else other than metros I think.. Heck, I rarely ever see any news on North East even.

VaghaDeva

sum gai
Where do you originally hail from before your family moved to Andaman? I'm from Tulunadu but born in Mumbai and live near Toronto

VaghaDeva

sum gai
Thank you VaghaDeva! Nice to find like-minded members like you..
I was worried you would not like the avatar its from my favourite light novel series

Is the food good there? Places close to the sea back home tend to have good seafood.

Last edited:

Narasimh

Country flag
I was worried you would not like the avatar its from my favourite light novel

Is the food good there? Places close to the sea back home tend to have good seafood.
I have not read any manga novels but sure do like anime.. had watched Dragonball and Naruto, Area 88.. Must be very interesting I know..

Andaman has people from all over the country. There are Tamils, Bengalis and Malyalis in larger numbers though. Many Punjabis also there..They all bring different cuisine to the plate... Food is nice there.. being a tourist spot many fine restaurants have come up which serve many great seafood dishes. If you are into shell fish, you will find lot of nice tiger prawn and Crab dishes there.

VaghaDeva

sum gai
You have any specific idols you admire? mine is Krishnadevaraya.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles