J20 Stealth Fighter

J20!

Country flag
View attachment 48616
on the IAI lavi the canard allows the wing to be positioned farther ahead allowing for higher statically unstability

View attachment 48617

on J-20 the canard pushes the wing father aft reducing statically unstability and making it a more statically stable aircraft and increasing the need for a bigger canard
View attachment 48618

In fact the J-20 is closer to the Viggen AJ-37 than to JAS-39 gripen in wing position
The J20's wing position and aspect ratio were not defined by the canard position. The aircraft's entire aerodynamic configuration were defined by the requirements set by the end user. The paper defines them in heading 1 and 2.

1. Stealth
2. Low supersonic drag (primarily to facilitate supercruise)
3. Improved lift characteristics
4. Improved stability and controllability under high AOA conditions while accounting for trans-sonic lift to drag characteristics.

1. Introduction:
The future fighter, aside from satisfying low and mid-altitude maneuverability performance of modern 4th gen. fighters, must have the capability to supercruise and perform unconventional maneuvers such as poststall maneuvers. As a result, the aerodynamic configuration of the future fighter must not only satisfy the design constraints of RCS reduction but also lower supersonic drag, improve lift characteristics, and improve stability and controllability under high AOA conditions whilel accounting for trans-sonic lift to drag characteristics. The high number of design requirements provide new challenges to the aerodynamic layout. The design must employ new aerodynamic concepts and approaches, take necessary systematic and control measures, and compromise amongst the numerous design points in order to obtain the necessary design solution.

2. Main design conflicts:

The design requirement for stealth brings new difficulties to the aerodynamic design
These requirements (stealth, superior tran-sonic and supersonic performance and high and mid level altitude) created the design conflicts documented in detail under heading 2.

The location of the wings, their aspect ratio, location of engines and landing gear were dictated by the engineer's need to minimize supersonic drag which would in turn allow for improved super-cruise performance:

5. Supersonic Characteristics

Because of this, employing small aspect ratio wings on a lift-body LERX canard configuration aircraft will settle the conflicts among supersonic drag characteristics, low speed lift characteristics, and trans-sonic drag characteristics.
Again, to resolve the design conflicts generated by the performance requirements on the programme, the engineers behind the J20 chose a Canard, LERX, Lift Body aerodynamic configuration because it satisfied all 4 major requrements. ie:

excellent supersonic drag characteristics, high AOA lift characteristics, high AOA stability and controllability, and excellent stealth characteristics.
I emphasize the stealth characteristics because the benefits of this configuration outlined in the study detail something you've already mentioned in your analysis:

Blended wing lift body configurations could utilize lift generated by the aircraft's body to increase internal load and enhance stealth characteristics at relatively low costs to drag. Lift-body configurations have been adapted by many conventional configuration aircraft and achieved excellent results. Yet until now no canard configuration fighter utilized lift-body configuration. This isn't because aerodynamic experts failed to realize the tremendous advantage of the lift body configuration but the result of a canard configuration aircraft's need to place the canards above the aircraft's wings. It is difficult for lift-body configuration aircraft to satisfy this demand. Our experimental results indicate that although the canards on a canard-LERX configuration aircraft employing lift-body suffered a decrease in lift-enhancing effects, the overal lift characteristic of the aircraft was still superior to that of a canard-LERX aircraft not employing lift-body (see figure 4)

Figure 4.jpg
The points highlighted above detail the engineer's need to compromise in the positioning of the J20's canards. However, as shown on the graph 4 from their modelling, the aircraft's configuration still created more lift than if the liftbody configuration had not been integrated into the design. This in turn increases the air-frame's internal load (ie fuel, ordinance and electronics) while having a negligible impact on overall drag.

Not to mention the benefits of vortex generation from the interaction between the canard and LERX on the airframe body and inner wings; ie were most lift is generated during high AOA

Figure 5.jpg

Please note that at all points in this study, the authors detail the benefits of choosing this configuration, the downsides and the conflicts caused by the different requirements on the airframe. However, at no point are the dihedral canards noted as a detriment to the frontal or lateral aspect stealth of the airframe.

J20!

Country flag
View attachment 48630

as basics physics show, as the angles gets close to 0, the force projection reduces, in few works a V tail or a canted vertical fin limit rudder and tailplane effectiveness.

On F-22 and Su-57 their tailplanes give horizontal uncompromised force effect.

The reduced effect as rudder, due to canting the vertical tails of stealth aircraft, forces canting to angles higher than 45 degrees and closer to 90 degrees

View attachment 48632

On J-20 the canting and small area of the dorsal vertical fins forced ventral vertical fins to be fitted on J-20, also a long fuselage blanketing the tails reduced their effectiveness.

ventral fins increased radar waves diffraction on other elements of the aircraft

View attachment 48633

Thus other aircraft did not use ventral fins nor canards, the Chinese copied Rafale basic wing and MiG-1.44 basic configuration with F-35 basic forebody fuselage.

diffraction can deteriorate RCS from some angles and the back part of J-20 is not the best in terms of stealth
The reason for adopting all-moving canted vertical stabilizers are detailed under the Low Speed High AOA characteristics heading at 4.2:

As a result, the vertical stabilizers will become highly efficient lateral force surfaces which direct the lateral forces outwards. The lateral forces are projected in the direction of lift, with respect to the outward canting vertical stabilizers, and generate negative lift. Negative lift acting on the vertical stabilizers and rear body will both contribute to the undesirable pitch up torque. The high pressure region between the vertical stabilizers will form adverse pressure gradients on the body of the plane and negatively impact the stability of leading edge detached vortices. Since the vertical stabilizers are already highly loaded at 0 degree side slip angle, the yaw/roll stabilization efficiency of the vertical stabilizers will be decreased.

The negative impacts of vertical stabilizers as described above are closely associated with lift-enhancing measures and are, as a result, difficult to root out. Yet adjustment of the vertical stabilizer's area, position, cant angle, and placement angle and improvement measures such as making slots on the rear body can minimize the negative impact of the vertical stabilizers. Ordinarily, the max lift reduction coefficient generated by the vertical stabilizers could reach around 0.4. We've managed to successfully lower it below 0.1 through experimentation.

Decreasing the vertical stabilizers' area or even employing tailless configuration are directions worth studying. Their significance not only include improving low speed high AOA performance but also help improve stealth characteristics, lower drag within the entire flight envelope, decrease weight, and reduce cost. Implementing the tailless configuration requires the tackling of three major technical difficulties: replacing the stabilizers with another yaw control mechanism, installing sensitive and reliable side slip sensors, and implementing new flight control technology. As of now, these difficulties are being tackled one at a time. Relatively speaking, decreasing vertical stabilizers' area and relaxing static yaw stability are more realistic options. Generally speaking, the relative size of the vertical stabilizers is around 20% to 25%. In or studies, utilizing all moving vertical stabilizers with 10% to 13% could still maintain basic yaw stability while retaining the vertical stabilizers' function as yaw control mechanisms.
Its evident that the inclusion of the small canted fins below the airframe, was necessary to address the difficulties highlighted in this section of the study. Not forgetting that incorporating all-moving vertical stabilizers allowed them to reduce their size over what the F22 uses, which has aerodynamic and RCS reduction benefits.

Its interesting that they considered a tailless configuration before adopting the former. Seeing the design considerations, pros and cons weighed and the eventual compromises made detailed like this is a rarity for most Chinese defense programmes.

I've also noted from this publication that rear end RCS reduction measures are not mentioned much. In terms of priority, it seems that front and lateral aspect stealth is mentioned the most. However, I'd also mention that the ventral fins do shroud the engine nozzles from the lateral aspect, which is a plus I guess. And being entirely composite materials, their impact on the aircraft's overall RCS laterally and front aspect seems negligible when considering their aerodynamic input vis-a-vis the vertical stabilizers.

I'll conclude by saying your analysis is fairer than most on this platform, but I fail to see how the J20's canards could possibly make its stealth performance significantly inferior to the SU57 or the F35 considering the shaping issues with both those airframes.

From the front and lateral aspects, I would rate the J20 pretty favorably against both. In BVR engagements anyway and specifically regarding shaping. We don't know enough about RCS coatings of each airframe to comment on that.

If your argument is WRT increased RCS during canard deflection, that would only be relevant during aggresive BFM, which makes RCS a moot point since the aggressors would be within WVR anyway.

Against 4th gens(3rd gens in PLA nomenclature) like the eurocanards or the Russian airframes (Sukhoi, MiG) at BVR ranges, I believe most air warfare experts would agree that the J20 would have the upper hand.

The F22 lost to Eurofighter and Rafale in WVR (war games ofcourse) but it would be prudent to point out that the F22 has no IRST unlike the former 2 let alone the F35's DAS or whatever the equivalent system is called on the J20.

The J20's weakness regarding engines means a WVR victory for the eurocanards would be likely though. We don't know enough about the WS10C's on the latest J20's let alone the WS15's. They won't be mass produced till 2025.

scatterStorm

Country flag
Now do the math again. whole aircraft is much bigger then canards so F35 is much bigger then J-20"s canards so you can detect F35 from 400km now.
Surprisingly here you forget what 1 sqm target is made off? steel, titanium, carbon fibre?? and what will be the shape ??
Sweeping statement it can detect all at 150km regardless its composition and shape or caoting of RAM
I am again repeating here, Canards do increase RCS but there are ways where you can compensate/reduce its signatures
Canards Increase RCS but at certain AoA, however this shouldn't be confused with the first principles of achieving stealth using its airframe design. Planform is important here.

Case of Rafael:
Rafael uses correct me if I am wrong a 40 degree sweep angle canard. However planform is misaligned, thus increasing its RCS, now they are controlled via software so RCS spike is controlled but eventually you are increasing drag, meaning you are moving the canard and radio waves will bounce more if you move a wing extension in Y axis.

Case for J20:
Now taking the case of J20, you have lowered the RCS by qualifying on the planform parameter, but you have increased the chances of RCS spikes at certain angles. The RAM coating on Canards are more prone to wear and tear but eventually you will be moving it in vertical axis, thus increasing the radar return. Considering the size of Canard on J20, I'd say it was never meant to be fully stealth, rather semi-stealth, much like SU57. Stealth was compromised deliberately a bit to gain maneuverability advantage.

Improvement over Canard?
Russians thought this through gracefully again, they used LERX which is more adaptive to planform alignment and reduces RCS with minimal radar returns.

scatterStorm

Country flag
Here's the concept that was put up by Northrop grumman to replace F14 tomcat with a stealth fighter.
The NATF-23 was a modified F23a which had canards, so i'm not sure if canards trade all that much of stealth characteristic to be unviable for a LO aircraft.
View attachment 47363

Moreover, a lot of designs considered for the underlying ATF project that required LO as a key performance factor had canards
View attachment 47364
A concept that was reject by USN. They rejected it because although you want a jet to be able to fly at low speeds (requirements for naval aviation jets) and is LO, but you are still compromising on stealth. Planform alignment can be seen but as soon as you start using those canards you are essentially putting a giant metal obstructing airflow, meaning you are also increasing radar return but at an angle. With software controlled canards you decrease RCS but still you are spiking the RCS at different AoA.

scatterStorm

Country flag
In my opinion j20 is a great aircraft other then it's stealth. Those huge Canards doesn't do justice at all. It's because of these canards it's RCS would be huge even from sides . In front of aesa radars it would be as easy to detect as 4++ fighter jets front and back.
You are also leaving behind the the huge IR radiation back of those engines. The issue with J20 isn't that its a bad jet. Its that an illusion of stealth has been created. That airframe is massive, and massive is picked up AESA anyday.

scatterStorm

Country flag
The reason for adopting all-moving canted vertical stabilizers are detailed under the Low Speed High AOA characteristics heading at 4.2:

Its evident that the inclusion of the small canted fins below the airframe, was necessary to address the difficulties highlighted in this section of the study. Not forgetting that incorporating all-moving vertical stabilizers allowed them to reduce their size over what the F22 uses, which has aerodynamic and RCS reduction benefits.

Its interesting that they considered a tailless configuration before adopting the former. Seeing the design considerations, pros and cons weighed and the eventual compromises made detailed like this is a rarity for most Chinese defense programmes.

I've also noted from this publication that rear end RCS reduction measures are not mentioned much. In terms of priority, it seems that front and lateral aspect stealth is mentioned the most. However, I'd also mention that the ventral fins do shroud the engine nozzles from the lateral aspect, which is a plus I guess. And being entirely composite materials, their impact on the aircraft's overall RCS laterally and front aspect seems negligible when considering their aerodynamic input vis-a-vis the vertical stabilizers.

I'll conclude by saying your analysis is fairer than most on this platform, but I fail to see how the J20's canards could possibly make its stealth performance significantly inferior to the SU57 or the F35 considering the shaping issues with both those airframes.

From the front and lateral aspects, I would rate the J20 pretty favorably against both. In BVR engagements anyway and specifically regarding shaping. We don't know enough about RCS coatings of each airframe to comment on that.

If your argument is WRT increased RCS during canard deflection, that would only be relevant during aggresive BFM, which makes RCS a moot point since the aggressors would be within WVR anyway.

Against 4th gens(3rd gens in PLA nomenclature) like the eurocanards or the Russian airframes (Sukhoi, MiG) at BVR ranges, I believe most air warfare experts would agree that the J20 would have the upper hand.

The F22 lost to Eurofighter and Rafale in WVR (war games ofcourse) but it would be prudent to point out that the F22 has no IRST unlike the former 2 let alone the F35's DAS or whatever the equivalent system is called on the J20.

The J20's weakness regarding engines means a WVR victory for the eurocanards would be likely though. We don't know enough about the WS10C's on the latest J20's let alone the WS15's. They won't be mass produced till 2025.
Like I said, paper puts weight to semi-stealth or LO, rather than all aspect stealth (VLO), and conveniently aligning to "maneuverability".

To me it's simple, if you are putting canards, you are putting maneuverability aspect more than stealth. SU57 does it too, however they chose LERX, but because it compliments with the TVC nozzles with its benchmark setting engines. SU57 is semi-stealth, they did it deliberately to "hook-n-pull" a VLO fighter into WVR rather than BVR.

"Post turkey shoot all jet will be WVR or in a merge", granted whoever got better BVR capability and detection capability the advantage outweighs "maneuverability".

In a merge, a jet with much better nose authority or pitch authority will have higher advantage of PK. Now with the advent of EW and high offbore sight weapons, its a different story.

(Apologies for emphasis on sentences, as some technical glitch is here as CTRL+B isn't working atleast for me)

I like the discussion, but J20 isn't a stealth jet, its a illusionary stealth's jet,
👉 more like "LO by a drag", certain aspect of its airframe doesn't make it VLO, not even close.
👉 "Maneuverable but by a drag", until you fix there engine problem which would correctly indicate it as "maneuverable". "Hook-n-pull" is not effective here.
👉 Weaponry, not much data is available.
👉 Endurance, I'd say capable.
👉 Unconventionally large airframe, I presume that the engineers decided it to be long range LO interceptor and bomber mission type platform. It align to there criteria as aggression say from USAF or USN would come form GUAM or Island nations close to so called SCS.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
This discussion has been had repeatedly on this forum since the first J20 prototype surfaced in 2011. My main point is always this: An aircraft's configuration is defined by the performance parameters set for it.

The Rafale, Mig 1.44 and F35 all had different performance requirements defined for them. Two of 'em are medium weight fighters and the other is a heavy weight fighter that was never produced aside from a prototype or two. How could any aerospace engineer simply lift or "copy" design aspects from each, mash them together into some kind of Frankenstein airframe and hope it flies? That's not really realistic from an engineering standpoint.

I've enjoyed your posts since you've joined mate. However. There are some serious flaws in your analysis though. You're not really taking into consideration the J20's performance requirements. All aircraft are compromises dictated by the performance parameters set at the beginning of each programme.

There isn't much open source data on the J20 programme; however a goldmine of data on the aircraft's aerodynamic layout and the reasoning behind it can be found in the the paper published by the late Song Wencong. He was the chief designer for the J10 programme and the mentor to Yang Wei, the Chief desiner for the J20 programme.

Here is a link to the paper, titled "Aerodynamic configuration study of a small aspect ratio, high lift aircraft,"

https://wenku.baidu.com/view/1aae34a6f524ccbff12184b3.html

I posted a translation by SiegeCrossbow from SDF on this thread 8 years ago
thanks but please consider the USA and Russia have other designers and they concluded stealth are a waste of time for stealth aircraft,

Consider this the F-117 and B-2 lack tails

1590443392852.png

B-2 is the ideal stealth aircraft, however it is not the best aircraft in controllability, thus J-20 needed other control devices, ideally stealth should use the less reflecting surfaces, but controllability is the opposite.

1590443575548.png

Su-37 is the opposite it has canards, tailplane, ventral fins and dorsal fins.

Now ask your self which one is the stealthiest?

B-2

Which one will win a dogfight?

Su-37

As you can see aerodynamic requirements do not concord with stealth.

See MiG-1.44
1590443839063.png

It has canards, wing trailing flaps like X-29, twin dorsal fins, twin hinged ventral fins, compare it to the latest Tempest

1590443976921.png

the new fighter is tailless, it has only 2 dorsal canted vertical fins, very simple aircraft.

Now which one is the better fighter?

No brainer the MiG-1.44 is the better dogfighter.

The Chinese engineer is not the only engineer in the world, nor the J-20 designers.

J-20 is an aircraft that used stealth when they need it and aerodynamics when they need it.

However more conventional designs like J-31, F-35, F-22 or Su-57 represent a better blending of Stealth and performance,

In fact X-32 is much better for stealth than all these aircraft but it was not the best in manoeuvrability or performance
1590444378565.png

My analysis was not flawed, stealth demands too many contradictions when you use a canard and the best design is tailess like X-32.

However X-32 was redesigned because X-32 requires more controllability, in the case of the Su-57 the aircraft used levcons which is better than stealth, but still the used tailplanes

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
The J20's wing position and aspect ratio were not defined by the canard position. The aircraft's entire aerodynamic configuration were defined by the requirements set by the end user. The paper defines them in heading 1 and 2.

1. Stealth
2. Low supersonic drag (primarily to facilitate supercruise)
3. Improved lift characteristics
4. Improved stability and controllability under high AOA conditions while accounting for trans-sonic lift to drag characteristics.

These requirements (stealth, superior tran-sonic and supersonic performance and high and mid level altitude) created the design conflicts documented in detail under heading 2.

The location of the wings, their aspect ratio, location of engines and landing gear were dictated by the engineer's need to minimize supersonic drag which would in turn allow for improved super-cruise performance:

Again, to resolve the design conflicts generated by the performance requirements on the programme, the engineers behind the J20 chose a Canard, LERX, Lift Body aerodynamic configuration because it satisfied all 4 major requrements. ie:

I emphasize the stealth characteristics because the benefits of this configuration outlined in the study detail something you've already mentioned in your analysis:

The points highlighted above detail the engineer's need to compromise in the positioning of the J20's canards. However, as shown on the graph 4 from their modelling, the aircraft's configuration still created more lift than if the liftbody configuration had not been integrated into the design. This in turn increases the air-frame's internal load (ie fuel, ordinance and electronics) while having a negligible impact on overall drag.

Not to mention the benefits of vortex generation from the interaction between the canard and LERX on the airframe body and inner wings; ie were most lift is generated during high AOA

View attachment 48659

Please note that at all points in this study, the authors detail the benefits of choosing this configuration, the downsides and the conflicts caused by the different requirements on the airframe. However, at no point are the dihedral canards noted as a detriment to the frontal or lateral aspect stealth of the airframe.
Sorry you are just repeating this study as dogma, as it is the only true and only gospel to design a stealth fighter,

In the USA they did all those studies, but the americans place too much requirements on BVR combat, so their stealth fighters ask for the best blending for stealth.

1590445077597.png

If you look well, X-32 and YF-23 have features now seen on Tempest, why? simple these aircraft were stealthier than YF-22 and X-35, they were 5 plus generation fighters.

all the blah blah blah of the Chinese paper was already known in the west, however the Chinese opted for that type of aircraft not because it is better nor because it was not know in the west, they opted for that because they lacked at the time of J-20 design of aerodynamic ideas like LEVCONs and Thrust vectoring.
1590445476081.png

Yes X-36 has coplanar canards, no dihedral, better for stealth than those of J-20, however canards need aspect ratio, shape to perform better, so X-36 eliminated many features needed for better performance but in stealth were better than J-20.

But think do you think x-36 will beat Rafale or MiG-1.44?

answer is not in a dogfight Rafale will win but only if it can detect X-36, which has better BVR potential due to better stealth.

So a modern 6th generation fighter, will need higher stealth so they are ditching tailerons and canards all together and increasing speed requirements.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag

you are treating the chinese paper as a bible which is not.

vertical fins use physics, they are levers, and the angle of a lever can be used to tell you the maximun torque the lever can achieve.

Now you might think the Chinese paper is the brightest paper, which is not, and you can know it for a simple fact, aircraft that placed performance as first priority have this type of tails
1590446758362.png

F-15 has no canting pretty much it has very efficient tails and consider the aircraft will fly at speeds of Mach 2.5
1590446635299.png

same F-14

what about our Russians friends?
1590446856861.png

they are pretty vertical for a single reason, as yaw controls the lever needs to have the highest value of Sine value and that is at 90 degrees of angle.

the canted V tail on modern aircraft is for stealth and if it is for aerodynamics is to have the vortex system close to the vertical fins.

Ideally canting the fins offers some advantages like a V tail, but it reduces directional stability

1590447241080.png

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
This discussion has been had repeatedly on this forum since the first J20 prototype surfaced in 2011. My main point is always this: An aircraft's configuration is defined by the performance parameters set for it.

The Rafale, Mig 1.44 and F35 all had different performance requirements defined for them. Two of 'em are medium weight fighters and the other is a heavy weight fighter that was never produced aside from a prototype or two. How could any aerospace engineer simply lift or "copy" design aspects from each, mash them together into some kind of Frankenstein airframe and hope it flies? That's not really realistic from an engineering standpoint.

I've enjoyed your posts since you've joined mate. However. There are some serious flaws in your analysis though. You're not really taking into consideration the J20's performance requirements. All aircraft are compromises dictated by the performance parameters set at the beginning of each programme.

There isn't much open source data on the J20 programme; however a goldmine of data on the aircraft's aerodynamic layout and the reasoning behind it can be found in the the paper published by the late Song Wencong. He was the chief designer for the J10 programme and the mentor to Yang Wei, the Chief desiner for the J20 programme.

Here is a link to the paper, titled "Aerodynamic configuration study of a small aspect ratio, high lift aircraft,"

https://wenku.baidu.com/view/1aae34a6f524ccbff12184b3.html

I posted a translation by SiegeCrossbow from SDF on this thread 8 years ago
1590477755604.png

to understand some parameters

1590477873254.png

Americans already studied J-20 configuration there is nothing new

1590477898938.png

Note coplanar canards with the wing to have stealth planforming

1590478040833.png

1590478560338.png

Note Himat had ventral fins

Himat with canards with dihedral nothing new in J-20 design

1590478243561.png

1590478338259.png

Rafale early concepts showing China did not develop anything the West did not know

Last edited:

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
Canard surfaces and leading edge extensions increase radar cross-section (RCS). But the Chinese chose to retain canards on J-20 to enhance agility while scarifying some bit of its radar signature. A lot also depends on the main role envisaged for the aircraft.

http://www.sps-aviation.com/story/?id=1092

J20!

Country flag
Like I said, paper puts weight to semi-stealth or LO, rather than all aspect stealth (VLO), and conveniently aligning to "maneuverability".

To me it's simple, if you are putting canards, you are putting maneuverability aspect more than stealth. SU57 does it too, however they chose LERX, but because it compliments with the TVC nozzles with its benchmark setting engines. SU57 is semi-stealth, they did it deliberately to "hook-n-pull" a VLO fighter into WVR rather than BVR.

"Post turkey shoot all jet will be WVR or in a merge", granted whoever got better BVR capability and detection capability the advantage outweighs "maneuverability".

In a merge, a jet with much better nose authority or pitch authority will have higher advantage of PK. Now with the advent of EW and high offbore sight weapons, its a different story.

(Apologies for emphasis on sentences, as some technical glitch is here as CTRL+B isn't working atleast for me)
Your points are noted mate. However, what is your evidence that the adoption of a canards on the airframe compromise its low RCS profile in such a disastrous way?

When the jet first flew, Dr Michael J Pelosi and Dr Carlo Kopp did an assesment of the 1st prototype's performance as a VLO platform

https://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2011-03.html

Conclusions
This study has explored the specular Radar Cross Section of the Chengdu J-20 prototype aircraft shaping design. Simulations using a Physical Optics simulation algorithm were performed for frequencies of 150 MHz, 600 MHz, 1.2 GHz, 3.0 GHz, 6.0 GHz, 8.0 GHz, 12.0 GHz, 16.0 GHz and 28 GHz without an absorbent coating, and for frequencies of 1.2 GHz, 3.0 GHz, 6.0 GHz, 8.0 GHz, 12.0 GHz, 16.0 GHz with an absorbent coating, covering all angular aspects of the airframe.

If the production J-20 introduces a rectangular faceted nozzle design, and refinements to fuselage side shaping, the design would present very good potential for robust Very Low Observable performance in the S-band and above, for the nose and tail aspect angular sectors, with good performance in the beam aspect angular sector.

In conclusion, this study has established through Physical Optics simulation across nine frequency bands, that no fundamental obstacles exist in the shaping design of the J-20 prototype, which would preclude its development into a genuine Very Low Observable design.
When airframe shaping is subjected to physical optics simulation algorithms at various frequencies, it delivers "robust VLO performance in the nose aspect angular sector". In their neutral position, the canards do not contribute in any significant way to backscatter.

The position of the canards, delta wing leading and trailing edge surfaces, and fully moving tail surfaces was set to neutral, reflecting an optimal cruise configuration at nominal supercruise altitudes and airspeeds. Large deflections by these control surfaces in flight would produce large but transient increases in specular backscatter.
As mentioned in my earlier post, large deflections during BFM would definetly increase RCS, however thats true for ALL control surfaces on a stealth fighter, including LEVCONs, horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Even leading and trailing edge surfaces on the wings. Which is why all stealth platforms manage control surface deflection during BVR engagements.

The number 1 issue this peer reviewed paper had with the J20's shaping was the use of axisymmetric engine nozzles. That's an issue for all stealth fighters in production bar the F22.

Canards? no.

I like the discussion, but J20 isn't a stealth jet, its a illusionary stealth's jet,
👉 more like "LO by a drag", certain aspect of its airframe doesn't make it VLO, not even close.

👉 "Maneuverable but by a drag", until you fix there engine problem which would correctly indicate it as "maneuverable". "Hook-n-pull" is not effective here.
👉 Weaponry, not much data is available.
👉 Endurance, I'd say capable.
👉 Unconventionally large airframe, I presume that the engineers decided it to be long range LO interceptor and bomber mission type platform. It align to there criteria as aggression say from USAF or USN would come form GUAM or Island nations close to so called SCS.
1. J20's rear aspect VLO shaping is not as optimal as the front or lateral aspects. That's a given. The only operational stealth fighter today that does not use axisymmetric engine nozzles is the F22. Are you saying the F35 and SU57 are not VLO too? They all incorporate some RCS reduction measures in this aspect, but its not as optimal as the solution adopted by the F22. That's obviously a decision made to minimize weight and cost.

Even the models displayed for the Korean KFX and your own AMCA show the same nozzle arrangement on the J20... Are they not VLO designs either? Even worse for the KFX, it uses semi recessed spaces for its armament instead of weapons bays

2. RCS reduction = stealth shaping, RAM application plus control surface management. It has nothing to do with overall size. If that were so then Mig 21's would be stealthier than F22's and F35's due to their size alone.

3. The JXX programme as detailed by Dr. Song's paper was to develop a heavy weight air superiority fighter. Even US pentagon reports from the 90's to date refer to the programme as an air superiority platform. Its long voluminous airframe translates to more fuel than either the F22 or the F35.

And the development of the 4 large EFT's and noticeably shallow weapons bay only adds further credence to the obvious fact that the PLA envision the platform as a very long range air superiority asset. Its not a bomber.

Last edited:

J20!

Country flag
View attachment 48685

to understand some parameters

View attachment 48686

Americans already studied J-20 configuration there is nothing new

View attachment 48687

Note coplanar canards with the wing to have stealth planforming

View attachment 48688
View attachment 48691
Note Himat had ventral fins

Himat with canards with dihedral nothing new in J-20 design

View attachment 48689

View attachment 48690

Rafale early concepts showing China did not develop anything the West did not know
You're misunderstanding my referrals to Dr. Songs study. I didn't mean to imply that the J20's configuration was new to every1 but the Chinese or that its a "bible" as you say. I wanted to point out the requirements the designers were trying to meet since that's what defines any airframes configuration.

Repeatedly through-out that study, the designers refer to the configurations explored and employed by the designers of other 4th and 5th generation aircraft and the reasoning behind those design choices.

They specifically reference the reasoning behind the use of dihedral canards over aligning the canards with the main wing.

Blended wing lift body configurations could utilize lift generated by the aircraft's body to increase internal load and enhance stealth characteristics at relatively low costs to drag. Lift-body configurations have been adapted by many conventional configuration aircraft and achieved excellent results. Yet until now no canard configuration fighter utilized lift-body configuration. This isn't because aerodynamic experts failed to realize the tremendous advantage of the lift body configuration but the result of a canard configuration aircraft's need to place the canards above the aircraft's wings. It is difficult for lift-body configuration aircraft to satisfy this demand.
Canard surfaces and leading edge extensions increase radar cross-section (RCS). But the Chinese chose to retain canards on J-20 to enhance agility while scarifying some bit of its radar signature. A lot also depends on the main role envisaged for the aircraft.

http://www.sps-aviation.com/story/?id=1092
I agree. They chose the dihedral canards to satisfy lift demands on the airframe since they complemented the LERX's and lift body configuration they had already settled on. Coplanar canards would not have satisfied their main requirements in this way.

That does not mean that non coplanar canards suddenly make the whole airframe unstealthy. As you've already pointed out the YF23 configuration was STEALTHIER than the YF22 and had better supercruise performance to boot.

However, the USAF selected the YF22 because of maneuvering requirements. That does not translate to the F22 not being stealthy. Compromises are always made on aircraft design to satisfy overall requirements of the programme.

However, this notion that J20 is "semi-steatlhy" is obviously untrue when weighed against actual modelling and peer-reviewed research.

Last edited:

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
You're misunderstanding my referrals to Dr. Songs study. I didn't mean to imply that the J20's configuration was new to every1 but the Chinese or that its a "bible" as you say. I wanted to point out the requirements the designers were trying to meet since that's what defines any airframes configuration.

Repeatedly through-out that study, the designers refer to the configurations explored and employed by the designers of other 4th and 5th generation aircraft and the reasoning behind those design choices.

They specifically reference the reasoning behind the use of dihedral canards over aligning the canards with the main wing.

I agree. They chose the dihedral canards to satisfy lift demands on the airframe since they complemented the LERX's and lift body configuration they had already settled on. Coplanar canards would not have satisfied their main requirements in this way.

That does not mean that non coplanar canards suddenly make the whole airframe unstealthy. As you've already pointed out the YF23 configuration was STEALTHIER than the YF22 and had better supercruise performance to boot.

However, the USAF selected the YF22 because of maneuvering requirements. That does not translate to the F22 not being stealthy. Compromises are always made on aircraft design to satisfy overall requirements of the programme.

However, this notion that J20 is "semi-steatlhy" is obviously untrue when weighed against actual modelling and peer-reviewed research.
I do not misunderstand, i said the Chinese knew the limits of placing a high wing on J-20, the limitation was no room to place the canard above wing level.

Having that limitation the wing and canard were coplanar in design, but they knew as many studies on the west with dihedral you increase lift.

Consider adding weapons bays increase weight and` frontal cross section, furthermore the intake inlet ducts by being S Shaped, they increase weight, the wing was pushed aft, they fixed that by a negative sweep to the trailing edge of the wing and transitioning from diamond cross section to rounded one on the engine nozzles and nacelles.

So the wing by being pushed back by the canard, increase the need to more lift.
thus the dihedral.

On Rafale you have real well designed canards with close distance to the wing, LERX and wing fuselage blending

1590491623666.png

on the J-20 the wing trailing edge is closer to the engine nozzles than Rafale
1590491729286.png

China did not innovate, there is nothing in aerodynamics the West learnt from China on J-20

scatterStorm

Country flag
Your points are noted mate. However, what is your evidence that the adoption of a canards on the airframe compromise its low RCS profile in such a disastrous way?

When the jet first flew, Dr Michael J Pelosi and Dr Carlo Kopp did an assesment of the 1st prototype's performance as a VLO platform

https://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2011-03.html

When airframe shaping is subjected to physical optics simulation algorithms at various frequencies, it delivers "robust VLO performance in the nose aspect angular sector". In their neutral position, the canards do not contribute in any significant way to backscatter.

As mentioned in my earlier post, large deflections during BFM would definetly increase RCS, however thats true for ALL control surfaces on a stealth fighter, including LEVCONs, horizontal and vertical stabilizers. Even leading and trailing edge surfaces on the wings. Which is why all stealth platforms manage control surface deflection during BVR engagements.

The number 1 issue this peer reviewed paper had with the J20's shaping was the use of axisymmetric engine nozzles. That's an issue for all stealth fighters in production bar the F22.

Canards? no.

1. J20's rear aspect VLO shaping is not as optimal as the front or lateral aspects. That's a given. The only operational stealth fighter today that does not use axisymmetric engine nozzles is the F22. Are you saying the F35 and SU57 are not VLO too? They all incorporate some RCS reduction measures in this aspect, but its not as optimal as the solution adopted by the F22. That's obviously a decision made to minimize weight and cost.

Even the models displayed for the Korean KFX and your own AMCA show the same nozzle arrangement on the J20... Are they not VLO designs either? Even worse for the KFX, it uses semi recessed spaces for its armament instead of weapons bays

2. RCS reduction = stealth shaping, RAM application plus control surface management. It has nothing to do with overall size. If that were so then Mig 21's would be stealthier than F22's and F35's due to their size alone.

3. The JXX programme as detailed by Dr. Song's paper was to develop a heavy weight air superiority fighter. Even US pentagon reports from the 90's to date refer to the programme as an air superiority platform. Its long voluminous airframe translates to more fuel than either the F22 or the F35.

And the development of the 4 large EFT's and noticeably shallow weapons bay only adds further credence to the obvious fact that the PLA envision the platform as a very long range air superiority asset. Its not a bomber.
If you've read aussipower blog post on J20 structural and stealth analysis, let me stop you there.

Observations:
👉 The model uses PO method.
👉 The model has limitations. (see my third point to why optical methods does not give the complete picture)
👉 The model doesn't consider Surface traveling EM wave (most realistically aspect of target RCS). (I suggest instead of seeing a static diagram like of the PCPR, try seeing an actual EM wave polarization incident to a planform with different incident angle.
(Source: MIT Radar technology playlist Lecture on "Target RCS")
👉 Canard increases RCS, as its a control surface, and that two misaligned one. (explained later)

Limitations of the model:
  1. The simulator at this time does not model backscatter from edge diffraction effects although the resulting error will be mitigated by the reality that in a mature production design these RCS contributions are reduced by edge treatments (not done yet, I can pull images to point out where the edge treatment isn't still done);
  2. The simulator at this time does not model backscatter from surface travelling wave effects (biggest motherload of all),. In the forward and aft hemispheres these can be dominant scattering sources where specular contributions are low. The magnitude of these RCS contributions is reduced by edge treatments, lossy surface coatings, gap treatments, and panel serrations; (Now mitigates in the FOC variant)
  3. The simulator at this time does not model backscatter from the AESA bay in the passband of a bandpass radome, due to the absence of any data on the intended design of same, the resulting error will be mitigated by the reality that in a mature production design much effort will be expended in suppressing passband RCS contributions;
  4. The simulator at this time does not model backscatter from the engine inlet tunnels (because its solution is serpentine intakes which is applied in J20) or engine exhaust tailpipes,
  5. The simulator at this time does not model structural mode RCS contributions from antenna and EO apertures, panel joins, panel and door gaps, fasteners and other minor contributors; although the resulting error will be mitigated by the reality that in a mature production design these RCS contributions are reduced by RCS reduction treatments. (Now mitigates in the FOC variants)
  6. The PO computational algorithm performs most accurately at broadside or near normal angles of incidence, with decreasing accuracy at increasingly shallow angles of incidence, reflecting the limitations of PO modelling. The simulator does not implement the Mitzner/Ufimtsev corrections for edge currents (See MIT lecture, for the edge currents on a planform). While a number of test runs with basic shapes showed good agreement between the PO simulation and backscatter peaks in third party test sample measurements, even at incidence angles below 10°, characteristically PO will underestimate backscatter in nulls. This limitation must be considered when assessing results for the nose and tail aspects, where most specular RCS contributions arise at very shallow angles39.
Coming to the point to your questions

1. I never said RCS spike due to canards would be "disastrously drastic". I said, it going to spike RCS time to time especially during STR performance which will contribute to different AoA as trailing edge electric diffractions. (In MIT lecture).
👉 Why do you assume the canards would be always in neutral position? (Read #1 again)
2. I am not talking about frontal aspect stealth here, J20 achieves that thus making it LO. Refrain yourself from pulling this discussion to a different angle such as "frontal aspect stealth characteristics".
👉"Please understand that LO doesn't mean VLO."

Here's what an expert has to say. (Watch from 2:18) and here's the drawdown:

👉 LO at frontal aspect, but not all aspect (here the benchmark is F22, not F35 nor SU57)
👉 Airspace denial, putting high value assets such as tankers, awacs, bombers or gunships at bay.
👉 High endurance, interceptor.

3. Its a bomber too, considering missions where stealth isn't required, with its long endurance, high service ceiling and upcoming better engines, why wouldn't PLAF would consider it as nuclear delivery platform? Cruise missiles can be fitted on its pylons considering its a Delta Canard?

3. Finally, I'll ask a single question to end this debate once and for all. Why is your next J31 fighter drops the idea of canards all together than? Why go to a conventional stealth jet airframe design much like F35?
👉 Because J20 was never considered all aspect stealth (True VLO stealth), J31 can be thought as VLO at frontal aspect.
👉 And to your question that F35 and SU57 is VLO? Yes and No. Yes because at frontal aspect, F35 show radar returns much lower than even F22. No because not all aspect stealth.

The case of red flag exercises:
1. Most F22 interception had the aggressors clearly mentioning that F22 or F35 approach angles are chosen by the pilots at the very start, meaning that battle to approach an adversary is already decided.
2. This means that F22 or F35 come close in at classified altitude, AoA, speed and direction.

Here the end cookie
Figure1:
Proposed advanced design to J20.
Observations:
  1. Complete elimination of tail section, essentially a tailless configuration. (looks like someone is cutting down on RCS at tail section and Canards desperately)
  2. Canards size reduced.
  3. Improved LO.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
In their neutral position, the canards do not contribute in any significant way to backscatter.

the J-20 has canards to trim and lift, so they never remain steady, they are not strakes like those of Mirage 2000 or Kfir

1590543674204.png

Kfir has fixed canards.

Of course J-20 will use wing trailing edge flaps as main trimming device.
But the canards it has already break planforming see
1590544039689.png

F-22 hides very well the tailerons and these are aligned with the wing

1590544268228.png

J-20 has its canards not aligned with the wing and vertical fins.

J-20 has very little fuselage lift, in fact it generates lift mostly from the chines.

1590544713353.png

it is obvious by seen J-10 that China knows how to design a canard since J-10 has the typical high canard above the wing level.

Now why China did not go for a more stealthy aircraft with coplanar canards?
simple stealth means reduced range detectability, thus as long as the enemy makes better radars the ability of stealth erodes, so they decided to make a slightly more aerodynamic design.

1590545069972.png

The difficulty of making a tailless is the trailing edge flaps of the wing induce a pitch down movement, so it is difficult to control the machine, so China went for canard delta wing since it chose a delta that generates less lift at low AoA and needs a canard to increase lift at high AoA.

Canards usually stall before the main wing generates a very strong pitch up momentum once the main wing stalls

Last edited:

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
  1. Complete elimination of tail section, essentially a tailless configuration. (looks like someone is cutting down on RCS at tail section and Canards desperately)
  2. Canards size reduced.
  3. Improved LO.
1590643700674.png

a well designed fighter must have a design like J-10 if it is going to use delta wing and canards.

J-10 is based in Lavi and features design solutions such as ventral fins, wing fuselage blending and the wing trailing edge extensions where the ventral fins were placed

J-20 should be tailless more or less like Tempest, in fact the DSI intake of tempest is far more advanced than the one of F-35 or J-20 reducing frontal cross section area

1590643868760.png

The J-20 sits between J-10 and Tempest but it is in some ways less well thought than those fighters

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles