J20 Stealth Fighter

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
Even though it is just a PR video which is not enough to even comment on the performance, but for the layman's eyes the aircraft performance is sluggish ..
in my opinion it is an ugly aircraft, If i am going to choose beautiful aircraft I am a Tomcat fan, they say beauty and performance go hand in hand, in my opinion it is more or less capable, but it might not be as good as Su-57

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
It's anything but an ugly aircraft. Thin body and smooth waving surface equipped with canards actually make looks majestic!
Dude.Its an absolute anti thesis of a stealth fighter aircraft.

It has entered serial production with smoky engines and lacks trapezoidal TVC nozzles.So rear aspect stealth is a dead meat.Canards also screw up frontal stealth aspect.And on the f-22 and f-35 you'll see that their canopies are GOLD looking because it is RAM coat of GOLD.I haven't seen any such thing.And for the size of this thing it has a really shit payload and payload configuration.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
It's anything but an ugly aircraft. Thin body and smooth waving surface equipped with canards actually make looks majestic!
i said in my opinion, personally i do not like it, but it is okay if you think it is beautiful

Bhurki

but it might not be as good as Su-57
As an aircraft, it might or not be less capable in kinematic/electronic performance as compared to the Su57, but as a program of record, J-20 still remains the most successful stealth fighter program outside of the US with considerable more fund injection and future growth potential than any other stealth fighters ( again, except of US).

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Dude.Its an absolute anti thesis of a stealth fighter aircraft.

It has entered serial production with smoky engines and lacks trapezoidal TVC nozzles.So rear aspect stealth is a dead meat.Canards also screw up frontal stealth aspect.And on the f-22 and f-35 you'll see that their canopies are GOLD looking because it is RAM coat of GOLD.I haven't seen any such thing.And for the size of this thing it has a really shit payload and payload configuration.

Al31 is no smokey,what j20 lacks is thrust,while it requires a 160kN class engines,it is doing away with a 130kN class. They don't have serrated nozzles on the back because they have an older engine from Russia,our own AMCA will be flying with the standard F414 ins6 without the heavy modification related to the nozzle in the mk1 configuration and will only get new engine with the serrated nozzle in the mk2 standard....

shiphone

Country flag
mod edit: removed flamebait

russian engine's fuel-Rich combustion design philosophy would bring the smokey problem more or less...so is the AL31 serial
the latest batch of J20 have the WS-10C... they will appear in the North-East China soon.

page 141 of this thread
new engine?...................

page 140

J-20. This is interesting.
------------
BTW, the so called 'golden' things... it's not a big deal at all, the J11A had this measure on the front half of the canopy in early 2000's. then J10 and J11B...

a J-11B prototype...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhurki

Canards also screw up frontal stealth aspect
Here's the concept that was put up by Northrop grumman to replace F14 tomcat with a stealth fighter.
The NATF-23 was a modified F23a which had canards, so i'm not sure if canards trade all that much of stealth characteristic to be unviable for a LO aircraft.
images (12).jpeg

Moreover, a lot of designs considered for the underlying ATF project that required LO as a key performance factor had canards
F-22_RFI.jpg

Bhurki

C5MPJHnXUAAWrJ4.jpeg

And for the size of this thing it has a really shit payload and payload configuration
Here you can see J20 carrying 4 x 450-600gal EFT (eyeballing), which is a 6-8 ton payload, so i dont think it has a lot of weight/payload restrictions.
The fact we were only shown internal bay layout as 4 Mraam +2 Sraam may have to do with intending to project a perception of it being just a interceptor aircraft.
I wouldn't be surprised if it could carry jassm/jsow like weapons internally since the cavities look deep enough.

Bhurki

2400L - the new universal External Tank for 4th Gen fighters.

I guess i wasnt too off..
That means 1900 kgs of fuel or 2200 kgs with tank weight + adapter ( assuming weights from 600 gal tank from US).
Thats almost 9 tons of payload if they are infact full.

Bhurki

Its exciting to think it carries close to 20 tons of fuel. That puts it squarely into the category of strikers like F-111, although i'm not sure if it can carry any considerable air to ground load in this configuration.

MiG-29SMT

Country flag
As an aircraft, it might or not be less capable in kinematic/electronic performance as compared to the Su57, but as a program of record, J-20 still remains the most successful stealth fighter program outside of the US with considerable more fund injection and future growth potential than any other stealth fighters ( again, except of US).
in my opinion is an aircraft that was rushed, T-57 is a much better aircraft.

abhay rajput

Country flag
in my opinion is an aircraft that was rushed, T-57 is a much better aircraft.
In my opinion j20 is a great aircraft other then it's stealth. Those huge Canards doesn't do justice at all. It's because of these canards it's RCS would be huge even from sides . In front of aesa radars it would be as easy to detect as 4++ fighter jets front and back.

vishnugupt

Country flag
In my opinion j20 is a great aircraft other then it's stealth. Those huge Canards doesn't do justice at all. It's because of these canards it's RCS would be huge even from sides . In front of aesa radars it would be as easy to detect as 4++ fighter jets front and back.
Why do you think Canards are big setback for stealth? There are dozen of mobile surface in aircraft which also reduce stealth and same apply for canards. In Fact you can restrict canards movement for few degrees or as per mission requirements .
Reality is, like or don't like but China has developed very decent aircraft as per their requirements which is stealth

abhay rajput

Country flag
Why do you think Canards are big setback for stealth? There are dozen of mobile surface in aircraft which also reduce stealth and same apply for canards. In Fact you can restrict canards movement for few degrees or as per mission requirements .
Reality is, like or don't like but China has developed very decent aircraft as per their requirements which is stealth
Because I am an engineer and I know what reduces stealth or not. :). A simple Google search will give you your answer. Chinese wanted aircraft with maneuverability that's why canards was added in the first place. A proper stealthy aircraft is not stealthy if it has canards. Example - f35, f22. In front of aesa radars it's doesn't make much difference. Moreover it's not only shape reduces RCS but also materials which the plane is made of.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Because I am an engineer and I know what reduces stealth or not. :). A simple Google search will give you your answer. Chinese wanted aircraft with maneuverability that's why canards was added in the first place. A proper stealthy aircraft is not stealthy if it has canards. Example - f35, f22. In front of aesa radars it's doesn't make much difference. Moreover it's not only shape reduces RCS but also materials which the plane is made of.
You must be disciplined student of your time that's why you are applying more idealistic theory then what could be achieved in practical. We can't achieve absolute stealth so we applies degree of stealth. Canards itself cause little setback to stealth which you overcome by applying RAM/design Now its actually Canards movement which is the problem for stealth so by restricting Canards movement (when you are aggressor or as per mission) can help.
it might not be as stealthy as F22 or F35 but it is certainly stealth enough to take on F35 or any present day aircraft. Once you are in visual range you know stealth or non stealth doesn't matter

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
AESA radars can even detect a baseball. And those huge (or not) canards will be only adding radar visibility.

vishnugupt

Country flag
AESA radars can even detect a baseball. And those huge (or not) canards will be only adding radar visibility.
you are right but at what distance AESA can detect a baseball?? not all the way AESA can detect baseball. F22 and F35 also loss stealth when they open weapons way door or may be j-20 can home much powerful AESA radar to compensate. I am already saying Canards are little setback but how much?? is it a acceptable sacrifice to achieve in other areas like maneuverability?? but giving a sweeping statement that Canards will eat away all stealth of J-20 is somewhat wrong.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
you are right but at what distance AESA can detect a baseball?? not all the way AESA can detect baseball. F22 and F35 also loss stealth when they open weapons way door or may be j-20 can home much powerful AESA radar to compensate. I am already saying Canards are little setback but how much?? is it a acceptable sacrifice to achieve in other areas like maneuverability?? but giving a sweeping statement that Canards will eat away all stealth of J-20 is somewhat wrong.
AN/APG-77 can track 1 sqm target from a range of 150 km which is mounted on a F22. So, for those canards do the math.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles