J-21/J-31 Chinese 5th Generation Stealth Fighter

SexyChineseLady

The four variants would most likely be the J-35 naval, J-31 PLAAF, FC-31 export and a two-seater. But this is not entirely clear yet.

The J-35 is certain. The FC-31 export is almost certain since it was marketed and received interest for a decade. The two-seater would be a logical path seeing both the JF-17 and the J-20 had twin-seat variants. The former to help train overseas clients and the latter for a new doctrine for China's 5th gen.

The J-31 is not guaranteed. PLAAF is ramping up production of J-20A with WS-10C and is expected to reach a crescendo once the WS-15 becomes available. And then there is the J-20S two-seater that is going into mass production just now. The Air Force needs to incorporate literally hundreds of J-20s in the coming years so taking in another stealth fighter would seem like not a priority or a requirement now.

But the J-10 is probably near the end of its useful run for the PLAAF. The PLAAF will need a cheaper stealth fighter to complement the J-20 so it makes sense in that way. But the J-31 would use a different engine class than the rest of the PLAAF and it might make more sense for the J-10 replacement to be a single-engine fighter based on the WS-15. We shall see! This is why it is fun to watch :D

J20!

Country flag
Probably the v2 FC31 prototype.

Despite AVIC internal funding of development, we are yet to see a new prototype. Might be flight testing for the Export version marketed aggressively at Zhuhai and International Airshows.

Any new contract prospects would necessitate additional testing and development.

As you said, no evidence as yet of a PLAAF procurement of land based J35 or FC31.

Chinese forces are clearly aiming to engage adversary air formations away from the Chinese coast, over the long expanses of the 1st and second island chains. Medium range fighters like the J10 and a notional PLAAF J35 might be diminishing in PLAAF priorities due to their lack of range... J7s, J8s, and early batch J10As likely need to be replaced before the end of the decade, but whether that will be a land based J35 is up in the air.

The most likely aggressor against the Chinese mainland ie. The US, is prototyping and testing comand and control between 6th gen fighter and bomber platforms (B21 and NGAD), 5th gen platforms (F35) AND long range/recoverable or attributable UCAVs for EW, ISR or strike missions in contested airspace over Looooong ranges.

Considering PLAAFs escalating procurement of J20 vatiants and expansion of the platform's supply and manufacturing base through AVIC, it is likely that they would transition to operating large ISR, strike, EW and air dominance UCAVS

- such as WZ7 and WZ9 HALE (in PLAAF service), SAR equipped GJ2s MALE (in PLAAF service) and future GJ3 large MALE and GJ11 stealth HALE UAVs (in prototyping stages)

integrated with long range, heavy weight J16s, stealthy platforms like the J20 (in service and iterative development), H20 (in prototyping stages) and reported future VLO air dominance platforms in early development.

Taking the limited budget available to tbe PLAAF for develolment and procurement of airborne surveilance and strike platforms in the context of preparation for any future conflict with the US airforce, Navy, and associated Japanese and Australian forces:

Will the PLAAF really invest in development, procurement, training and operation for a new medium weight stealth fighter? I'm interested to read what serious members on here think.

SDF guys and others are split between the two, but I think it's best to wait and see which programmes reach prototyping phase before 2024.

SexyChineseLady

SAC is wringing out the process of mass production!

66FD92A9-FA98-444C-9308-763890273602.jpeg

BB87A4AC-645F-4616-BADD-A2F93D420841.jpeg

The production task force is named after Mr. Luo Yang who was in charge of the J-15 carrier fighter program.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
So if recent reports are to be believed, the PAF is going to be buying J-31 from China, I think it's time to discuss about its Stealth abilities. The design is very similar to the F-35 and our own AMCA, so we can expect a similar degree of stealth characteristics from this Chinese jet.

How is the IAF going to counter this? => We might have to buy a squadron or two of F-35s or even Su-57s. I have stressed several times in the past that India won't import any fifth generation plane from outside and would rather develop one inhouse. But seeing the delays in AMCA, I strongly think that maybe we should at least settle for a limited number of Felons or lightnings as an interim stop gap until AMCA arrives.

Though I think we need to first discuss in detail about the plane because it might just turn out to be a jet with capabilities of a 4.5/4++ gen aircraft and looks of that of a Stealth fighter though it's in no way some junk that Nationalists would like to BS about.

johnj

So if recent reports are to be believed, the PAF is going to be buying J-31 from China, I think it's time to discuss about its Stealth abilities. The design is very similar to the F-35 and our own AMCA, so we can expect a similar degree of stealth characteristics from this Chinese jet.

How is the IAF going to counter this? => We might have to buy a squadron or two of F-35s or even Su-57s. I have stressed several times in the past that India won't import any fifth generation plane from outside and would rather develop one inhouse. But seeing the delays in AMCA, I strongly think that maybe we should at least settle for a limited number of Felons or lightnings as an interim stop gap until AMCA arrives.

Though I think we need to first discuss in detail about the plane because it might just turn out to be a jet with capabilities of a 4.5/4++ gen aircraft and looks of that of a Stealth fighter though it's in no way some junk that Nationalists would like to BS about.
Who will become next President of US ??
PAF 5th gen depends on US policies.
PAF primary choice TFX, secondary J31, Golden choice F35 Export

Hari Sud

Country flag

Where is the money with Bankrupt Pakistan?
Moreover, if they found money with beg, borrow and steal, that Chinese military hardware is copy, reverse engineered with third class technology and it will never work like all other Chinese high technology hardware which is junk with all the countries which have purchased.

Dont you remember that only a little bit ago even Pakistan returned all the AEW&S planes after a few years use, as unworkable. The Chinese built submarines are being sent back by other Asian countries and many more examples.

Hence worry not the least with this Pakistani acquisition of Chinese stealth plane.

SexyChineseLady

The FC-31 has been tested and refined over the past ten years as part of a private from Shenyang. It is good enough that the Chinese Navy decided to choice it as the basis for the J-35 instead of the well-established J-20 which is mass produced in the hundreds :)

I do not know much about the AMCA but I know it is not flying or tested or was in a competition with the national 5th Gen fighter for an important position.

To understand how important, the PLAN has given its landbased units (hundreds of fighters and bombers) to focus on its carrier arm. The J-35 is the centerpiece and it had to beat out a successful advanced fighter already in mass production with the PLAAF.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles