J-21/J-31 Chinese 5th Generation Stealth Fighter

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Ever since Turkey asked Pakistan to join TFX there had been a lot of rumors from Middle East involving China in relations to Pakistan :)

According to ME rumors, engines, J-35 and even J-20 (not very believable) are in play.

Which fighter is china Reportedly offering According to the above Tweets? J-20 and FC-31? Or only FC-31 (I am inclined to think FC-31 Because the reason it was made was keeping Export in mind)

SexyChineseLady

Which fighter is china Reportedly offering According to the above Tweets? J-20 and FC-31? Or only FC-31 (I am inclined to think FC-31 Because the reason it was made was keeping Export in mind)
Only FC-31 officially. I think the J-20 rumors came from Pakistan Minister who mentioned J-20. But we would not know for sure.

China had sold Saudi Arabia stuff that surprised everyone -- like ICBMs!!!! SA also got full TOT license for CH-4 drones very early.

So anything can happen with the Saudis, their pockets are very deep and they also have strategic heft in the ME.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Only FC-31 officially. I think the J-20 rumors came from Pakistan Minister who mentioned J-20. But we would not know for sure.

China had sold Saudi Arabia stuff that surprised everyone -- like ICBMs!!!! SA also got full TOT license for CH-4 drones very early.

So anything can happen with the Saudis, their pockets are very deep and they also have strategic heft in the ME.
I think so that FC-31 is the only 5th Gen Aircraft that China is ready to Export to other countries like Pakistan etc.

China will probably not Export J-20 Because J-20 to China is like what F-22 is to the US.

Shenyang had started the J-31 Program Because the purpose of starting it was to develop a 5th generation fighter which could secure Export orders so I pretty sure that FC-31 is Offered here.

SexyChineseLady

I think so that FC-31 is the only 5th Gen Aircraft that China is ready to Export to other countries like Pakistan etc.

China will probably not Export J-20 Because J-20 to China is like what F-22 is to the US.

Shenyang had started the J-31 Program Because the purpose of starting it was to develop a 5th generation fighter which could secure Export orders so I pretty sure that FC-31 is Offered here.
I think you are right on J-20 but the history of Saudi Arabia and China makes this at least a possibilty.

In terms of strategic value, an ICBM is even more important than a stealth fighter.

Granted the original transfer was in 2007 and President Bush himself had okayed it.

But that was an off the shelf sale and today China is helping SA build their own ICBMs.

SA has strategic value that cannot be understated. So there might be a chance and we won't find out until much later.

In general, you are right. FC-31 is the one offered for export not J-20.

SexyChineseLady

China sales to Saudi Arabia always surprise me!

They actually sold a laser weapon to SA which had shot down a drone. First time that a direct light beam had shot down something in combat!

SexyChineseLady

New photo of the J-35 showing the front-hinged canopy amd serrated-nozzle of the engine -- probably the WS-13 though the serrations look similar to those from the photo of the WS-19 development crew:
7BF16F5F-5069-4691-B1B4-FC9859598CE0.jpeg

2E3FE5E3-5228-4062-971F-89C9FF1DC5C2.jpeg

If it is WS-19 then it would be a big surprise since it assumed by practically everyone to be still under development.

SexyChineseLady

The evolution of the FC-31 to the J-35! Note how canopy changed from two-piece to one to front-hinged.

67D0B4AB-19D2-444A-8CD3-FC0CD886B5B2.jpeg

johnj

I think you are right on J-20 but the history of Saudi Arabia and China makes this at least a possibilty.

In terms of strategic value, an ICBM is even more important than a stealth fighter.

Granted the original transfer was in 2007 and President Bush himself had okayed it.

But that was an off the shelf sale and today China is helping SA build their own ICBMs.

SA has strategic value that cannot be understated. So there might be a chance and we won't find out until much later.

In general, you are right. FC-31 is the one offered for export not J-20.
Majority of chinese military export to low/medium economy countries and they can't afford j20. China consider selling jf/fc 20, less capable version of j20 with some other upgrades/features to cash rich countries and rest jf/fc 31 with/without local production. If Saudi wants local manufactured fifth gen, then fc 31.

SexyChineseLady

This is pretty big news if true. There was debate on whether the PLAAF wanted the J-31/35 because there are persistent reports that the PLAAF is persuing a single-engined stealth fighter to replace the J-10.

It now seems the PLAAF might go hi-lo with J-20 and J-31. This is a big change because the PLAAF doctrine in the recent past had been all heavy engine (WS-10) across all its modern platforms which streamlined maintenance. Now it will introduce a medium engine (WS-13/WS-19) class that will break doctrine and also make the "lo" component also twin engined and more expensive. It could be that the PLAAF had decided to just take an available 5th gen jet and not develop a new one before the inevitable 6th fighter.

SexyChineseLady

This is pretty big news if true. There was debate on whether the PLAAF wanted the J-31/35 because there are persistent reports that the PLAAF is persuing a single-engined stealth fighter to replace the J-10.

It now seems the PLAAF might go hi-lo with J-20 and J-31. This is a big change because the PLAAF doctrine in the recent past had been all heavy engine (WS-10) across all its modern platforms which streamlined maintenance. Now it will introduce a medium engine (WS-13/WS-19) class that will break doctrine and also make the "lo" component also twin engined and more expensive. It could be that the PLAAF had decided to just take an available 5th gen jet and not develop a new one before the inevitable 6th fighter.

Okay. No such big news. lol

KurtisBrian

Country flag
Okay. No such big news. lol

Yet more new Japanese weapons?
Japan must be preparing to take it's economy to WARp speed. I saw a post in another thread about those ugly little men called Ferengi (probably actually code for "Fur en gay" in other words hairy homos) commenting that war is good for the economy.
Most Chinese people are not hairy so still likely the Chinese prefer the steady cruising speed of Impulse buying power instead of WARp speed.

Enjoy shopping. :)

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Much rumor that J-35 is not only just for carriers but also the Type 076 next gen LHD which will have an EM catapult for drones (definitely) and possibly fixed-wings!

View attachment 157177
View attachment 157176

Emals in a lhd
God
I think ur nation has mastered the emals tech as u will need to miniaturize the system as lhd not long as AC
Others if I am wrong then pls correct me bcoz I heard that emals are very space consuming and heavy

SexyChineseLady

Emals in a lhd
God
I think ur nation has mastered the emals tech as u will need to miniaturize the system as lhd not long as AC
Others if I am wrong then pls correct me bcoz I heard that emals are very space consuming and heavy
Actually, EMALS is much less space consuming than steam catapults.

China tested both for years before deciding on EM. It is a much more compact system without the pipes.

1FF4FCDA-9AA2-4C24-8361-CB3E13803878.jpeg

2A4FB456-4FD2-4F2C-81F5-6C652B2FA7E5.jpeg

They are planning to use EM launchers for many things including land-based rockets and naval rail guns because the technology is becoming more portable on vehicles:

SexyChineseLady

One of the bigger signs that China will go with EM launchers on upcoming LHDs is the lack of any project involving a VTOL fighter. It could be the PLAN is happy with all helo air wing on LHDs but unlikely because the F-35B will be appearing on helo carriers in Japan, South Korea and of course the USN.

There are posts that the PLAN is looking at getting comparable capabilities with either fighter drones or the J-35 through the use of EM launchers and arrest systems and bypassing the development of a VTOL fighter which could take years if not decades.

4419E652-196E-4E95-B75B-9C21FAD499E1.jpeg

A41174DC-2A13-45BC-B517-B1DD7662D988.jpeg

A5DCF988-1CC2-4CAB-A6A5-F8CC544D2623.jpeg

Angel of War

Country flag
I don't think saudis were given any ICBMs by the chinese . But I do know that they were sold DongFeng-3 and DongFeng-21 IRBMs in the late 1980s and 2007 respectively by china. There are reports that Saudi is also jointly manufacturing some ballistic missiles in partnership with china.

PRC is not being faithful to it's partnership with Iran by selling offensive platforms like ICBMs to Saudi Arabia.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles