It's official - Pakistan stripped of 2011 WC co-host status

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
It's official - Pakistan stripped of 2011 WC co-host status

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today alloted India has been given a lion's share in the 2011 World Cup matches, which were to be hosted by Pakistan. In the World Cup Organising Committee meet in Mumbai today, the ICC decided upon that India will host 29 matches in total for the WC. Meanwhile, Sri Lanka will host 12 matches and Bangladesh will host 8 matches.

The opening ceremony will be held on the February 18 in Bangladesh and the opening game the day after. Moreover, Bangladesh will host 2 quarter-final matches, while India and Sri Lanka will host the other two.

The semi-final though will be held in India and Sri Lanka, with India getting the honours of hosting even the final.

The ICC executive board on April 17 had resolved not to hold any 2011 World Cup matches in Pakistan because of the uncertain political situation in the country. Meanwhile the World Cup Secretariat has also been moved from Lahore to Mumbai.

musalman

پاکستان زنده باد
Country flag
comments from our pakistani members....
%$%^$*&%$^%^@#%^$@#&^@#*(@(*#(* teri ^%$^%$&^%#$^&#$^%^ pan *(^*&%%*&*&* di *^*&%*&^%&^%$&^& ph(^(*&^(*^*(di

EnlightenedMonk

But, the ground situation is pretty bad there yaar... even after the attack on the Lankans the situation has been getting steadily worse...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Wait and watch there will be an attack on us so the situation can be shown equally bad in India.

Flint

Why can't India host it alone? Australia did so, and so did SA. IMO 2nd largest country should be hosting the world cup on its own.

EnlightenedMonk

Sorry but the endless quench to be equated to India will surely make some people do the attack.
It will be a humongous challenge and I'm sure our armed forces are upto it...

Jai Hind !!! Jai Bharat !!! Jai Hindustan !!! Jai Maharashtra !!!

:india::india::india:

Su-47

Its a pity Pakistan had to be excluded, but it was necessary. The safety of the players is paramount.

Even our security forces have to be on their toes. Anti-India elements, especially those with a foreign hand feeding them, would want to disrupt anything that would bring revenue to India.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
It will be a humongous challenge and I'm sure our armed forces are upto it...

Jai Hind !!! Jai Bharat !!! Jai Hindustan !!! Jai Maharashtra !!!

:india::india::india:
See the charade going to happen (I wish against it) our politicians will be more then happy to get the event out. they will only be busy in saving the government.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Wait and watch there will be an attack on us so the situation can be shown equally bad in India.
A single attack or a couple of them will not derail the WC from India. India is not Pakistan where there is a real danger of a terrorist takeover. Where car bombs are blowing off every other day.

Also the ICC doesnt have the balls to take out the WC from India. India will say it will not participate in it anywhere else and their goes the commercial viability of the WC.

EnlightenedMonk

See the charade going to happen (I wish against it) our politicians will be more then happy to get the event out. they will only be busy in saving the government.
I tend to disagree Nitesh... they won't do stuff like that... atleast not with the World Cup...

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
guys let us agree to disagree. My point is solely on the way the things getting done by west. Already Mr. Milibund stated that WC should be moved out of sub continent. Australians already declined coming to India for world cup. West is more then happy in taking cheap shots against us. And what better chance then this. I am not very confident about 2010 games also. Our politicians simply don't have the resolve to take some action.

Flint

Lets hope that this election season has seen off the worst violence in this decade.

johnee

yes, and our ever wise chidambaram(and CON party) has played directly into their hands by forcing IPL to be shifted out of india. then the aussies have refused to tour india for a davies cup citing security issues and by giving example of IPL.
now, voices are coming from our dear beloved neighbour pakistan and leading the charge is the javed mian who believes that since aussies didnt tour for tennis match, how can anyone tour for a kirket match. he suggests that world cup be shifted out of sub-continent in 2011, then india(along with pak) can hold world cup in 2015.
pakistan has once again been successful in claiming india, pak equal equal only.
thanx to our visionary homeminister and his DIEnasty political masters.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i will agree with the point put forward by nitesh, there are lots in our neighborhood who cant digest our success which ever way it may be and our hosting of this tournament successfully will certainly not go down well with those power centers who have no love lost for us. i suspect in one of the forth coming series these chaps will be up to something and all one needs is an attack similar to the one that happened in lahore where one of the international player is severely injured or killed and that would have done enough to instill fear in the psyches of players from more secure locations. money makes sense but only till the time one can live to enjoy that money and when you hit at that very weakness then i doubt bcci will be able to exert it self, what if every one says we wont play in the sub continent, guess what, there are reports emerging from pakistan that they dont feel their players will be secure in india and they might not play in india. at least i can see this coming.

flint, it gets important that bangladesh and srilanka are made a party to it for there is politics played at the top most level in the icc decision making process where each member nation has one vote each and that heavily counts in buildings up blocks and enforcing one's point and getting it implemented, sub continent getting to host WC in 2011 is a part of that block enforcing its will.

Pintu

I am totally agree with Riteshji on that point, there are power centers in this Sub-Continent in our neighbouring countries who are envy of our success, and successful and uninterrupted completion of the game in our motherland is not wanted by them and they will certainly do try to disrupt the game, and the we can see our neighbouring country,Pakistan voice concerning playing in India and also therefore threatening to jeoparadise the hosting of the World Cup 2011 in the sub continent it self , the underlining motive is clear, that 'I am barred to eat in Party as I am ill, therefore I will make every thing to spoil the whole party' when especially foreign countries particularly Australia , unnecessarily voicing concern playing India, with its Tennis Board ridiculously saying that they are feeling insecure, and some of the personalities of the sports world of Australia unnecessarily voicing concern over 2010 Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.

Regards

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
yes, and our ever wise chidambaram(and CON party) has played directly into their hands by forcing IPL to be shifted out of india. then the aussies have refused to tour india for a davies cup citing security issues and by giving example of IPL.
Shifting IPL has an awful lot to do with politics in the BCCI and State Cricket Associations.
Lalit Modi fired from Rajasthan Cricket Association -> hint ?

now, voices are coming from our dear beloved neighbour pakistan and leading the charge is the javed mian who believes that since aussies didnt tour for tennis match, how can anyone tour for a kirket match. he suggests that world cup be shifted out of sub-continent in 2011, then india(along with pak) can hold world cup in 2015.
pakistan has once again been successful in claiming india, pak equal equal only.
Javed Miandad is samadhi of Dawood Ibrahim, and he is not Pakistan.

I am no fan of Gandhi's or Congress but this time the blame goes solely to greedy buggers who sacrificed our image.

--

The cricket team owners are actually happy that they are being shifted abroad, the state associations made a cleaning from the matches last year (PCA charged KXIP 3 crores per match last year iirc), got thousands of free tickets, charged exorbitant rates etc..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Looks like the Congress Party is the favorite whipping boys for all ills.
Just let me tell you that the shifting of IPL was not because the country could not organize one, but the timing was wrong as it clashed with the elections. All the government wanted was that the IPL be held after the elections so that fool proof security could be provided to the tournament. The prestige of our country was at stake here.
The terrorists are targeting our country and also they have openly stated that players like Tendulkar are in their cross hair. If the tournament had taken place in India right now and God forbid their was an attack on any team, that would mean the end of cricket in India for a very long time. Then the entire nation would be up in arms at the very government for allowing the tournament to be held in the midst of election.
For once give the government its due. Lalit Modi didnt want to give an inch in the whole thing. His ego took precedence than the honor and prestige of the nation. He has grown larger than life and needs to be put in place. Yes the IPL is great concept, earned a lot of money. Gave the players a lot of money. But that doesnt make Modi a God. As far as I go, there is only one God in cricket, Sachin Tendulkar.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles