'It’s not like you’ve got China on your border': Trump geography error stunned Indian prime minister

rockdog

Country flag
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...geography-error-stunned-indian-prime-minister

President Trump’s shaky grasp of geography almost derailed America’s relations with India, according to a new account of his initial meeting with the country’s prime minister.

As they met during the president’s first visit to Asia in October 2017, Narendra Modi spelled out his concerns about China’s ambitions in the region, which Trump replied to by saying, “It’s not like you’ve got China on your border.”

In their book, A Very Stable Genius, two Washington Post reporters detail how “Modi’s eyes bulged out in surprise” at Trump’s apparent failure to understand that his country did indeed share a border with China, a line that extends some 2,500 miles.

Then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson attempted to defuse the situation. He raised his hand to his brow to signal to the Indian delegation that they should not risk offending Trump by correcting him — as well as indicating to Modi “that he knew this statement was nuts.”

Modi and Trump have forged a close relationship in the two years since that meeting. Trump addressed the Indian prime minister’s supporters at a “Howdy Modi” rally in Houston last year and is expected to travel to India next month.

But that first meeting in the Philippines, on the sidelines of a global summit, left aides fearing the worst. The account describes how Modi’s effort to engage the president on the nitty-gritty of U.S.-Indian relations in the face of China’s threat was met with responses about trade deficits and the war in Afghanistan.

“Modi’s expression gradually shifted, from shock and concern to resignation,” according to witnesses.

One aide recalled, “I think he left the meeting and said, ‘This is not a serious man. I cannot count on this man as a partner.'”

The result was that New Delhi took a step back in relations, the official said.

---------------------

This is quite funny news i laughed for the whole day...

But this is also scary if US's policy with China and India are based on two nations are not bordered each other...

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles