ISRO's Reusable Launch Vehicles

rishivashista13

Country flag
http://www.isro.gov.in/launchers/rlv-td

its will be two stage.. the scaled fuselage with wings will be first stage having semi-cryo engine at its end like rockets.. this thing will be mosterous in size.. this semicryo engine will be used for take off pushing the RLV to mach 5 as quickly as possible.. the launch will be vertical. on reaching near mach 5 the scramjet will be fired (semicryo engine will remain opertaional) this scramjet will add extra trust to the RLV upto 80 km i think(mesoshere) beyond mesosphere there is no oxygen.mesosphere consist of 99% of atmoshphere..
and space begins as 100 km (karamlin line)..

on reaching 80 km scramjet will be cut off ,, the semicryo engine(which already is running) will take the rest of the responsibility in pushing the rocket beyond 100 km (since atmosphere is now very thin 1%.. this will generate enormous thrust with no drag)-due to no drag the extra velocity generated by scramjet
will be sustained.

after 100 km the RLV will realease its nose (the 2nd part) and the first winged part will glide down to runway.. the 2nd(nose part) has its own semi-cryo engine which it will use to attain a desired orbit,release the sat and deorbit and land using parachute..

the scramjet is just used to proved extra thrust using atmospheric oxygen .saving a large amount of fuel..

my only concern is in midflight.. whether the semicryo engine and scramjet will work in union or scramjet will operate alone in midflight..

THIS RLV BASICALLY IS A SMART ROCKET.. THAT LOOKS LIKE A SPACE-CRAFT.

there is no oxygen collection as far as i know but if it does then we can reduce the weight further by generating LOX for the second stage in midflight...

@rishivashista13 @Indx TechStyle @Anupu
What type of spacecraft design are you expecting ?? I am taking the design of RLV - TD as the main structure of spacecraft . In which , rocket engine will accelerate the vehicle and then cut off . Then scramjet engine is vehicles main engine .
How is it possible that scramjet engine cut offs and rocket engine is operational till end (what you mentioned) ??
As I know , rocket engine will be recovered after it cut off .
Then Vehicle will use its main engine for all other process .
Vehicle is not having payload on its nose but payload will be kept inside it (in stomach) . Doors will open and it will place the payload wherever required .
Then vehicle will come back and land on the runway successfully .

All things which I right here is mixture of information I got from different places (internet , tv news , newspapers) .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Akask kumar

What type of spacecraft design are you expecting ?? I am taking the design of RLV - TD as the main structure of spacecraft . In which , rocket engine will accelerate the vehicle and then cut off . Then scramjet engine is vehicles main engine .
How is it possible that scramjet engine cut offs and rocket engine is operational till end (what you mentioned) ??
As I know , rocket engine will be recovered after it cut off .
Then Vehicle will use its main engine for all other process .
Vehicle is not having payload on its nose but payload will be kept inside it (in stomach) . Doors will open and it will place the payload wherever required .
Then vehicle will come back and land on the runway successfully .

All things which I right here is mixture of information I got from different places (internet , tv news , newspapers) .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
no, payload is on the nose ,the second part.. on belly u will have scramjet and at the end i think a rocket engine (semicryo) i hope,,
RLV- TD at present is 6 m but the final version will be 16 m.. it may have a solid booster but doest that make it a Three stage??
look at the older page on this thread to see the design and payload delivery

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Story of the Week
ISRO’s Scramjet Engine Technology Demonstrator Successfully Flight Tested

Today, satellites are launched into orbit by multi-staged satellite launch vehicles that can be used only once (expendable). These launch vehicles carry oxidiser along with the fuel for combustion to produce thrust. Launch vehicles designed for one time use are expensive and their efficiency is low because they can carry only 2-4% of their lift-off mass to orbit. Thus, there is a worldwide effort to reduce the launch cost.
Nearly 70 % of the propellant (fuel-oxidiser combination) carried by today’s launch vehicles consists of oxidiser. Therefore, the next generation launch vehicles must use a propulsion system which can utilise the atmospheric oxygen during their flight through the atmosphere which will considerably reduce the total propellant required to place a satellite in orbit.
Also, if those vehicles are made re-usable, the cost of launching satellites will further come down significantly. Thus, the future re-usable launch vehicle concept along with air-breathing propulsion is an exciting candidate offering routine access to space at far lower cost.
Considering the strategic nature of air-breathing technology which has the potential to bring a significant shift in the launch vehicle design, worldwide efforts are on to develop the technology for air breathing engines. Ramjet, Scramjet and Dual Mode Ramjet (DMRJ) are the three concepts of air-breathing engines which are being developed by various space agencies.
A ramjet is a form of air-breathing jet engine that uses the vehicle’s forward motion to compress incoming air for combustion without a rotating compressor. Fuel is injected in the combustion chamber where it mixes with the hot compressed air and ignites. A ramjet-powered vehicle requires an assisted take-off like a rocket assist to accelerate it to a speed where it begins to produce thrust.

Ramjets work most efficiently at supersonic speeds around Mach 3 (three times the speed of sound) and can operate up to speeds of Mach 6. However, the ramjet efficiency starts to drop when the vehicle reaches hypersonic speeds.
A scramjet engine is an improvement over the ramjet engine as it efficiently operates at hypersonic speeds and allows supersonic combustion. Thus it is known as Supersonic Combustion Ramjet, or Scramjet.

A dual mode ramjet (DMRJ) is a type of jet engine where a ramjet transforms into scramjet over Mach 4-8 range, which means it can efficiently operate both in subsonic and supersonic combustor modes.
An important development in ISRO’s Air Breathing Propulsion Project (ABPP) occurred on August 28, 2016, which was the successful flight testing of its Scramjet.
This first experimental mission of ISRO’s Scramjet Engine towards the realisation of an Air Breathing Propulsion System was successfully conducted from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota.
After a smooth countdown of 12 hours, the solid rocket booster carrying the Scramjet Engines lifted off at 0600 hrs (6:00 am) IST. The important flight events, namely, burn out of booster rocket stage, ignition of second stage solid rocket, functioning of Scramjet engines for 5 seconds followed by burn out of the second stage took place exactly as planned.
After a flight of about 300 seconds, the vehicle touched down in the Bay of Bengal, approximately 320 km from Sriharikota. The vehicle was successfully tracked during its flight from the ground stations at Sriharikota.
With this flight, critical technologies such as ignition of air breathing engines at supersonic speed, holding the flame at supersonic speed, air intake mechanism and fuel injection systems have been successfully demonstrated. The Scramjet engine designed by ISRO uses Hydrogen as fuel and the Oxygen from the atmospheric air as the oxidiser. The August 28 test was the maiden short duration experimental test of ISRO’s Scramjet engine with a hypersonic flight at Mach 6. ISRO’s Advanced Technology Vehicle (ATV), which is an advanced sounding rocket, was the solid rocket booster used for this recent test of Scramjet engines at supersonic conditions. ATV carrying Scramjet engines weighed 3277 kg at lift-off.

ATV is a two stage spin stabilised launcher with identical solid motors (based on Rohini RH560 sounding rocket) as the first as well as the second stage (booster and sustainer). The twin Scramjet engines were mounted on the back of the second stage. Once the second stage reached the desired conditions for engine “Start-up”, necessary actions were initiated to ignite the Scramjet engines and they functioned for about 5 seconds. ATV flight operations were based on a pre-programmed sequence.
Some of the technological challenges handled by ISRO during the development of Scramjet engine include the design and development of Hypersonic engine air intake, the supersonic combustor, development of materials withstanding very high temperatures, computational tools to simulate hypersonic flow, ensuring performance and operability of the engine across a wide range of flight speeds, proper thermal management and ground testing of the engines.
India is the fourth country to demonstrate the flight testing of a Scramjet Engine.
Story of the Week - Archive
Aug 28, 2016 : ISRO’s Scramjet Engine Technology Demonstrator Successfully Flight Tested
Aug 22, 2016 : RAPID: Gateway to Indian Weather Satellite Data
Aug 16, 2016 : ISRO enables Telemedicine service enroute Amarnath
Aug 08, 2016 : ISRO Trains ITI Students - A new initiative towards supporting ‘Skill India’
Aug 01, 2016 : Antarctica Ground Station for Earth Observation Satellites (AGEOS)
Jul 25, 2016 : ISRO's Participation in Antarctic Expedition
Jul 18, 2016 : Space-based Distance Learning for ITIs
Courtesy: ISRO - Government of India

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
India will build reusable rockets in 10-15 years, says former ISRO chairman
Shivamogga: ISRO former chairman and Padmabhushan Dr U R Rao predicted that India would achieve a milestone in the next 10-15 years in building reusable rockets.
He was delivering a special lecture on space at an open lecture series organised by the National Education Society in association with Karnataka Science and Technology Academy, at the MBA auditorium of the JNNCE in the city on Thursday.
He said testing of an indigenous satellite launching vehicle built by the ISRO was successful.
Cost-effective project
"After the rocket reaches the satellite into orbit, it will return to the earth. The project of building this reusable launching vehicle is in the primary stages. It will take another 10-15 years to complete it. ISRO is trying to do this project at the minimum cost," he said.
In its first attempt, India has sent the satellite to the Mars successfully. America, China and other countries have reached this milestone after several attempts.
The next venture of the ISRO is Chandrayana-2 and this would create another history in the space sector, he said.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Do you have the link to the source presentation??
These images are usually found on space forums or ISRO Websites brochures.

I have access to a lot such websites and brochures upload screenshots but I don't know about all. Like shiphone provided in Chandryaan thread. Though, I can just assure that the pic is real.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
My mistake, mistook the ramjet of Aakash Missile.:p

I have no hopes though.
This year's schedules:
  1. Flight of Rustom - 2.
  2. Test of Nirbhay Missile.
  3. Flight of LUH.
  4. Test of Indigenous Anti Radiation Missile (NGARM)
I tried best to be optimistic, but every project has overshoot the schedules.:facepalm:
1 & 3 Are done...............................

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
These images are usually found on space forums or ISRO Websites brochures.

I have access to a lot such websites and brochures upload screenshots but I don't know about all. Like shiphone provided in Chandryaan thread. Though, I can just assure that the pic is real.
Hey guy,

Are you GSLV of PDF?

Kay

Country flag
We need to research on reusable rockets like SpaceX and Blue Origin.
Our approach is different (using Scramjet), but theirs is based on existing technology.
We should launch a parallel program. However cheap you make rockets, they can never be cheaper than paying only for fuel.

Yggdrasil

Country flag
We need to research on reusable rockets like SpaceX and Blue Origin.
Our approach is different (using Scramjet), but theirs is based on existing technology.
We should launch a parallel program. However cheap you make rockets, they can never be cheaper than paying only for fuel.
Already in the works.

https://www.isro.gov.in/update/23-m...e-technology-demonstrator-rlv-td-successfully

I'd say we're only a few steps behind Blue Origin, but quite some distance behind SpaceX. The latter has managed to launch re-usable vehicles into orbit - that is the goal.

Reactions: Kay

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles