ISRO's Reusable Launch Vehicles

A.V.

New Delhi: The Americans recently retired their one of the most successful space shuttles, the Atlantis. Now, India is working towards realising its dream - to create a re-usable satellite launch vehicle.

An engineering model of what scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) call the re-usable launch vehicle, is currently housed at a secure and secret facility in Kerala. Covered with special heat resistant tiles, soon it will roar skywards.

"We are dreaming about a fully re-usable vehicle, there are several elements we need to understand as of now we have a technology demonstrator," said Dr K Radhakrishnan, Chairman, ISRO.

Read more at: Soon, India to have its own space shuttle

Pintu

I agree GK, what we need at best to build a reliable cryogenic engine first.

Regards

sukhish

Regards
wells they are working on the cryogenic engine in parallel. they have already tested the first flight in 2010 and it was not successful, they are again going to try in 2012. so hold on your horses. I thin this RLV-TD is going to be revolution, not even china has anything like this one.

Pintu

wells they are working on the cryogenic engine in parallel. they have already tested the first flight in 2010 and it was not successful, they are again going to try in 2012. so hold on your horses. I thin this RLV-TD is going to be revolution, not even china has anything like this one.
Agree, but that is what yet to be achieved. First lets hope for upcoming flight of GSLV with indigenous cryogenic engine to be successful, I then we can concentrate on RLV.

Regards

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
China has its own version, it has been working on for some time, last year when China first test flight JXX fighter this RLV type of shuttle was tested but it got destroyed when it re enter earth. Chines says they self destruct it because it was going into Russia (these reports are unconfirmed).

Last edited:

Illusive

Country flag
Air-Breathing Engines

Is it the same tech which this shuttle would be using or some modification to it. Some experts info on this tech would be appreciated.

Also can we use this tech on fighter jets?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Air-Breathing Engines

Is it the same tech which this shuttle would be using or some modification to it. Some experts info on this tech would be appreciated.

Also can we use this tech on fighter jets?
i am not experts, but here is what is known, it has same tech, Indian version which will be first tested will be two stage vehicle, first stage rockets will be recovered and the vehicle would come down at sea (initially) later on it will come down on runway. We will put down cost of putting satellite in orbit.

Tech is taken from plane and fighter plane for safe landing of shuttle.

military version of same will be AVATAR/HSTDV (both are same) by DRDO, this will give us option to strike any part of globe within 40 minutes of launch. It will deliver its payload and come back to base runway.

Last edited:

Illusive

Country flag
Work Centers? we don't have complete infrastructure for important project like this.

So, this shuttle is an independent project of ISRO,right? or is DRDO part of it.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

Regards
No probs bro, i heard of thee Tejas getting inducted into the Airforce way back in 1999 in Bharat Rakshak. I have waited 11years and its not inducted completely.So i know when to take things seriously. I only expect this to take shape by the year 2025 and thats not a long date its only 14years away.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
i am not experts, but here is what is known, it has same tech, Indian version which will be first tested will be two stage vehicle, first stage rockets will be recovered and the vehicle would come down at sea (initially) later on it will come down on runway. We will put down cost of putting satellite in orbit.

Tech is taken from plane and fighter plane for safe landing of shuttle.

military version of same will be AVATAR/HSTDV (both are same) by DRDO, this will give us option to strike any part of globe within 40 minutes of launch. It will deliver its payload and come back to base runway.
Saya you know how much i hate pouring cold water on your wet dreams but this wont be ready any time soon. The project will take atleast 15years from now to mature.By then the Americans will be far ahead.

They already tested an Mach-20 Ramjet shuttle and they have been spending billions on similar projects like the AVATAR for the past 50years to avail because there is a glass sealing on the ability of an shuttle to carry enough fuel to leave the stratosphere. Thats why they spend billions all these years and could not come up with anything better than the Space Shuttle.

Our boys are going waste the money to learn an another dead end lesson and finally after 20years it going to be written of as TD.

amitkriit

Why do we compulsively chase Uncle Sam's tail? When USA decides to retire Space Shuttles, we wish to build one. Can't we do something which is new and ingenious? Can't we do something which can potentially give a new direction to space travel and exploration?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Why do we compulsively chase Uncle Sam's tail? When USA decides to retire Space Shuttles, we wish to build one. Can't we do something which is new and ingenious? Can't we do something which can potentially give a new direction to space travel and exploration?
The space shuttle is the first step to travel to the space, mate. Unless we start with that, it would be impossible to jump straight to Enterprise-class space ships. It always begins with the first step. The reason why NASA retired its shuttles is because of the amount of resources Americans waste in their research taking the resources of the planet for granted and the cost of maintaining them needlessly. We don't suffer from cost issues like USA and Japan. That puts us at a much better position.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Work Centers? we don't have complete infrastructure for important project like this.

So, this shuttle is an independent project of ISRO,right? or is DRDO part of it.
ISRO is more than capable of doing this alone; it does things faster, cleaner and better anyday than DRDO. Heavens help us if DRDO is involved. :doh:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
ISRO is unable to even give a firm date for the launch of the first manned spave flight and they are day-dreaming about a space shuttle ? guys take a look at the isro website and tell me the menu of nearest indian restaurant in the uk is better designed .

talk about putting the cart before the horse .

we recently heard about blunders in the chinese fast rail system - i dont wanna foresee the possibilities in indian space travel !

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Saya you know how much i hate pouring cold water on your wet dreams but this wont be ready any time soon. The project will take atleast 15years from now to mature.By then the Americans will be far ahead.

They already tested an Mach-20 Ramjet shuttle and they have been spending billions on similar projects like the AVATAR for the past 50years to avail because there is a glass sealing on the ability of an shuttle to carry enough fuel to leave the stratosphere. Thats why they spend billions all these years and could not come up with anything better than the Space Shuttle.

Our boys are going waste the money to learn an another dead end lesson and finally after 20years it going to be written of as TD.
Sir i couldnt agree with you more - at least in parts of what youve said
honestly sometimes the indian system comes up with these fantastic ideas about being able to run before being able to walk
and it comes from govt organisations .

at least get someone into space first - then it becomes more logical and believable

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
ISRO is unable to even give a firm date for the launch of the first manned spave flight and they are day-dreaming about a space shuttle ? guys take a look at the isro website and tell me the menu of nearest indian restaurant in the uk is better designed .

talk about putting the cart before the horse .

we recently heard about blunders in the chinese fast rail system - i dont wanna foresee the possibilities in indian space travel !
What it has got to do with the ISRO's operational capabilities?

Website is just public representation end.

I can design bloody superb websites but still have nothing credible on ground.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
you guys should remember that we have already done payload recovery. so two stage launch vehicle is not impossible. that vehicle can easily be splashed at sea. Lets wait and see

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles