ISRO's Reusable Launch Vehicles

rishivashista13

Country flag
Maybe, but when it comes to missiles, I would expect it to be under DRDO, not ISRO. Your question was about missile.
What is the difference between Scramjet for missile propulsion and Scramjet for rocket propulsion ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

pmaitra

What is the difference between Scramjet for missile propulsion and Scramjet for rocket propulsion ?

Technologically, I don't think there is any difference.

However, don't be surprised to hear this that in many technologies, same thing in civilian applications does not work for military applications and vice-versa. One example is building a supersonic aircraft.

rishivashista13

Country flag
Technologically, I don't think there is any difference.
That I was also thinking ......
If this is so , both should work together on same project .

But they are not , so there should be some solid reason behind this .

pmaitra

That I was also thinking ......
If this is so , both should work together on same project .

But they are not , so there should be some solid reason behind this .

I added some more stuff to my post. Yes, I think there are some differences. Let us wait for more information.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
भाई , which missile uses Scramjet engine ?
Bhramos 2 is still under development .

My mistake, mistook the ramjet of Aakash Missile.:p
There should be an HSDTV test run scheduled in December by DRDO.... Lets see how it goes..
I have no hopes though.
This year's schedules:
  1. Flight of Rustom - 2.
  2. Test of Nirbhay Missile.
  3. Flight of LUH.
  4. Test of Indigenous Anti Radiation Missile (NGARM)
I tried best to be optimistic, but every project has overshoot the schedules.:facepalm:

rishivashista13

Country flag
So , this scramjet engine will be the main engine of RLV . Is it ?

If it is , then how our RLV will propelled when it reach in space for working and coming back , as this is air breathing engine ?

Akask kumar

So , this scramjet engine will be the main engine of RLV . Is it ?

If it is , then how our RLV will propelled when it reach in space for working and coming back , as this is air breathing engine ?

i think the winged part will have semi cryogenic engine and scramjet both .. scramjet will push the RLV to the upper thin layer of the atmosphere.. from there the semicryogenic engines will fire producing just enough thrust that the vehicles escapes atmosphere..

or the semicryogenic engine will fire first , thrusting the RLV to higher mach speed from where this scramjet engine will turn on,, and the semicryo engine will be throttled down, wen the craft reaches to the oxygen deficient thin layer of atmosphere,scramjet will be turned off and the semicryo engine will be trottled up .

but the winged part will not go into orbit like nasa shuttle,, it will just escape atmosphere and release the first part and will dive back in the atmosphere ,gliding down to the runway..while the first part will fire its engine in space to orbit around earth ,release the sat and come down to earth using parachute..

Anupu

Country flag
i think the winged part will have semi cryogenic engine and scramjet both .. scramjet will push the RLV to the upper thin layer of the atmosphere.. from there the semicryogenic engines will fire producing just enough thrust that the vehicles escapes atmosphere..

or the semicryogenic engine will fire first , thrusting the RLV to higher mach speed from where this scramjet engine will turn on,, and the semicryo engine will be throttled down, wen the craft reaches to the oxygen deficient thin layer of atmosphere,scramjet will be turned off and the semicryo engine will be trottled up .

but the winged part will not go into orbit like nasa shuttle,, it will just escape atmosphere and release the first part and will dive back in the atmosphere ,gliding down to the runway..while the first part will fire its engine in space to orbit around earth ,release the sat and come down to earth using parachute..
Scramjet can't take you out of atmosphere, Scramjet works only in atmosphere. So the Scramjet will either be on first stage, or You would need something that can work like the concept SABRE engine. I think ISRO eventually want's to build that.

Chinmoy

Country flag

If I to believe news or what I've heard, it would be a three stage platform with SCRAMJET being in second stage and Third and final stage would be semi cryogenic. What is more intriguing is coming of news about using Subsonic RAMJET as first stage. Can't say how much true it is.
But anyway SCRAMJET would be at second stage and would work inside earth atmosphere only. Beyond atmosphere, it would be the semi cryogenic engine only.

rishivashista13

Country flag
If I to believe news or what I've heard, it would be a three stage platform with SCRAMJET being in second stage and Third and final stage would be semi cryogenic. What is more intriguing is coming of news about using Subsonic RAMJET as first stage. Can't say how much true it is.
But anyway SCRAMJET would be at second stage and would work inside earth atmosphere only. Beyond atmosphere, it would be the semi cryogenic engine only.
That's incorrect , RLV is (TSTO) two stage to orbit .
What I got is -
After launch Reusable First stage will increase RLV speed and when detached it will be recovered .
Then main engine of RLV which is the scramjet engine will start and will take RLV to space , during doing so it will collect the required oxygen from atmosphere for space propulsion , and will consume the collected oxygen in space .
After accomplishing the required task it will enter back in atmosphere and will again use atmospheric oxygen till successful landing .

Anupu

Country flag
What I got is -
After launch Reusable First stage will increase RLV speed and when detached it will be recovered .
Then main engine of RLV which is the scramjet engine will start and will take RLV to space , during doing so it will collect the required oxygen from atmosphere for space propulsion , and will consume the collected oxygen in space .
After accomplishing the required task it will enter back in atmosphere and will again use atmospheric oxygen till successful landing .

Collecting LOX during supersonic flight is very difficult. Scramjets can't do that buddy, Scramjet only works in the atmosphere. You would need something like the SABRE concept, even that is just a concept.

Chinmoy

Country flag
What I got is -

I agree with @Anupu regarding Oxygen collection. It would not collect, but consume the oxygen in atmosphere and use it as oxidiser.

Yumdoot

Successful Flight Testing of ISRO's Scramjet Engine Technology Demonstrator
http://www.isro.gov.in/update/28-au...isros-scramjet-engine-technology-demonstrator
You should have quoted the really juicy bits from the ISRO link you attached:
The important flight events, namely, burn out of booster rocket stage, ignition of second stage solid rocket, functioning of Scramjet engines for 5 seconds followed by burn out of the second stage took place exactly as planned.

After a flight of about 300 seconds, the vehicle touched down in the Bay of Bengal, approximately 320 km from Sriharikota.
<snip>
The Scramjet engine designed by ISRO uses Hydrogen as fuel and the Oxygen from the atmospheric air as the oxidiser. Today’s test was the maiden short duration experimental test of ISRO’s Scramjet engine with a hypersonic flight at Mach 6. ....... ATV carrying Scramjet engines weighed 3277 kg at lift-off.

ATV is a two stage spin stabilised launcher with identical solid motors (based on Rohini RH560 sounding rocket) as the first as well as the second stage (booster and sustainer).

rishivashista13

Country flag
So.... , nobody knows how engines of our RLV will work ??
कमाल है भिया ।[emoji58]

Akask kumar

http://www.isro.gov.in/launchers/rlv-td

In future, this vehicle will be scaled up to become the first stage of India’s reusable two stage orbital launch vehicle.

its will be two stage.. the scaled fuselage with wings will be first stage having semi-cryo engine at its end like rockets.. this thing will be mosterous in size.. this semicryo engine will be used for take off pushing the RLV to mach 5 as quickly as possible.. the launch will be vertical. on reaching near mach 5 the scramjet will be fired (semicryo engine will remain opertaional) this scramjet will add extra trust to the RLV upto 80 km i think(mesoshere) beyond mesosphere there is no oxygen.mesosphere consist of 99% of atmoshphere..
and space begins as 100 km (karamlin line)..

on reaching 80 km scramjet will be cut off ,, the semicryo engine(which already is running) will take the rest of the responsibility in pushing the rocket beyond 100 km (since atmosphere is now very thin 1%.. this will generate enormous thrust with no drag)-due to no drag the extra velocity generated by scramjet
will be sustained.

after 100 km the RLV will realease its nose (the 2nd part) and the first winged part will glide down to runway.. the 2nd(nose part) has its own semi-cryo engine which it will use to attain a desired orbit,release the sat and deorbit and land using parachute..

the scramjet is just used to proved extra thrust using atmospheric oxygen .saving a large amount of fuel..

my only concern is in midflight.. whether the semicryo engine and scramjet will work in union or scramjet will operate alone in midflight..

THIS RLV BASICALLY IS A SMART ROCKET.. THAT LOOKS LIKE A SPACE-CRAFT.

there is no oxygen collection as far as i know but if it does then we can reduce the weight further by generating LOX for the second stage in midflight...

@rishivashista13 @Indx TechStyle @Anupu

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles