ISRO General News and Updates

FalconZero

Country flag
when do you think this shuttle will be ready
Long way to go honestly, it's just TD for now. Next thing we are trying LEX and then Rentry and landing. There's a good post from u/ohsin on r/isro.
From a presentation in 2019, there's a mention of two engines and maybe from 3 engines for RLV. It sort of reminds me of something like x-37b with same wingspan and a bit higher volume and size.

I have no source any particular sort of launch of sats from this but the possibility of something like this to launch nano-sats? Maybe? But is it feasible or cheaper than alternative? Remains to be seen.

Here's on interesting pic i got was rlv-td mounted on what seems to be GSLV mk2, probably for testing.

Also, we really need a name for rlv-td, i hate using the term space shuttle.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
I have no source any particular sort of launch of sats from this but the possibility of something like this to launch nano-sats? Maybe? But is it feasible or cheaper than alternative? Remains to be seen.

i thought that it will be used as transportation of crew, and other logistics, maybe a robotic arm :shock: lilke in iss, this might seem too good to be true, but I read somewhere that this rlv-td is 1/6th of orignal.
so orignal one will be very big.

FalconZero

Country flag
i thought that it will be used as transportation of crew, and other logistics, maybe a robotic arm :shock: lilke in iss, this might seem too good to be true, but I read somewhere that this rlv-td is 1/6th of orignal.
Crew ? No but maybe small sats maybe?

>size
To provide context, shuttle is almost double the dia and almost 4x the height of the TD. It's a good start.

But considering how shuttle was a mixed bag I wonder what's the future that TD holds though many issues that plagued shuttle were including the lack of autonomous flying along with too much of a blunt shape while TD is more like Starship (curvature) since the main part of the TD is cylindrical.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Crew ? No but maybe small sats maybe?

>size
To provide context, shuttle is almost double the dia and almost 4x the height of the TD. It's a good start.

But considering how shuttle was a mixed bag I wonder what's the future that TD holds though many issues that plagued shuttle were including the lack of autonomous flying along with too much of a blunt shape while TD is more like Starship (curvature) since the main part of the TD is cylindrical.
TD is just that: a TD. Its not meant to do anything more than be a testbed for technology required for the real RLV which will enter design phase after TD work is done. The actual RLV is meant to take 11 tons payload to LEO. Its own weight will be around 6 tons, so that requires 17 tons to LEO capacity as lower stages. Will not mounted on a GSLV Mk2, that graphic from 2019 is outdated. Instead it will be mounted on an SC-400 stage and a C-32 stage. Would make for a great supply vehicle for our space station. But yeah, no crew.

pipebomb

Country flag
Do we have any official info on this ⬇
Does anyone know what is the maximum sustained acceleration of human rated gslv mkiii given that gslv mkiii first stage is solid, hence can't be modulated ? (Nasa has a requirement of max 3g limit on sustained acceleration)

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Personally, I haven't seen any official info out on this yet. But given S200 use, there is no way the acceleration is going to be anywhere near a <3g limit. Its going to be more. ISRO realizes that this is a problem. Which is why human rated GSLV MkIII is only meant to be a stopgap till the HLV-HSP rocket comes online. That will only have liquid motors and thus quite likely a lower g limit.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Which is the space suit we are gonna use? Have seen a lot of models in service with russians

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Personally, I haven't seen any official info out on this yet. But given S200 use, there is no way the acceleration is going to be anywhere near a <3g limit. Its going to be more. ISRO realizes that this is a problem. Which is why human rated GSLV MkIII is only meant to be a stopgap till the HLV-HSP rocket comes online. That will only have liquid motors and thus quite likely a lower g limit.
Just found out. The limit is 4g. Page 151 "Fishing Hamlet to Red Planet". The book is pretty much official.
gslv mk iii 4g limited.png

Vamsi

Country flag
Just found out. The limit is 4g. Page 151 "Fishing Hamlet to Red Planet". The book is pretty much official.
View attachment 115379
I think it's even less now, they derated the chamber pressure of S200, and hence the derated version of S200 is called HS200. As per the earlier schedule, HS200 static test must happen this month .

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I think it's even less now, they derated the chamber pressure of S200, and hence the derated version of S200 is called HS200. As per the earlier schedule, HS200 static test must happen this month .
Maybe they'll release some info on how much that reduces the g load by and how much the thrust gets reduced after the static tests? Or have they released this info already?

gslv markIII

Country flag
The actual RLV is meant to take 11 tons payload to LEO. Its own weight will be around 6 tons, so that requires 17 tons to LEO capacity as lower stages. Will not mounted on a GSLV Mk2, that graphic from 2019 is outdated. Instead it will be mounted on an SC-400 stage and a C-32 stage. Would make for a great supply vehicle for our space station. But yeah, no crew.
The one on GSLV Mk II- called RLV-ORV- is for RLV-TD return experiment (REX) & it will happen by 2022-23. It will only have a liquid apogee motor for orbiting/ de-orbiting maneuvers. it will place a small spacecraft in orbit, I guess they'll use a robotic arm.

FB5qBX_UUBIL45K.jpg

Roadmap for TSTO "Spaceplane"

Ny4wgr6.png

As for the HRLV.

6QcQyqC.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles