ISRO General News and Updates

FalconZero

Country flag
They said the similar thing in 2019 but let's hope it doesn't get delayed further.

News of chandrayan 3 suggests that GOI is interfering hard in ISRO's projects, i don't like it. BJP most probably pushed for chandrayan 2 though I don't have any sources but some parts of me believes that it was rushed due to the political pressure and probably wasn't tested enough.

Issue was software and algorithm, they stated.

chetan_chpd

Desi Homelander
Country flag
They said the similar thing in 2019 but let's hope it doesn't get delayed further.

News of chandrayan 3 suggests that GOI is interfering hard in ISRO's projects, i don't like it. BJP most probably pushed for chandrayan 2 though I don't have any sources but some parts of me believes that it was rushed due to the political pressure and probably wasn't tested enough.

Issue was software and algorithm, they stated.
Nope thats hard to believe without any proof

And btw whats wrong if govt puts pressure on psu to perform better and deliver faster?

FalconZero

Country flag
And btw whats wrong if govt puts pressure on psu to perform better and deliver faster?
I used the term 'interfering' rather than 'pressure', both are different. ISRO has its own plans and pace and resources allocated according to that and any obstruction and interference can cause or affect their operational history, efficiency just my opinion based on the recent failures starting from chandrayan 2 to most recent gslv, gsat-1 sat along with regular delays, lack of transparency so on.

SavageKing456

Country flag
Our PSUs need to change recruitment policy.
Even PhD students especially from Aerospace are treated non-useful forget btech and mtech this is why we're not able to tap our brainpower to the fullest

chetan_chpd

Desi Homelander
Country flag
Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Lo ji...ISRO says "itna load nahi sambhala jata humse...afterall we are PSU, boss"

View attachment 115061
That awkward moment when you call ISRO a "PSU".

5quaod.jpg

Its hard for ISRO now to come back in full mode. Only concentrating on gaganyaan. Hope gaganyaan succedd.
Agreed. I believe all the recent delays in ISRO are to do with the intense focus on Gaganyaan compounded with Covid woes. ISRO has created an entirely new vertical of Human Spacefight that didn't exist a couple years ago. And if Chandrayaan-2's failure is considered such a big PR disaster at ISRO, imagine what if (Gods forbid) Gaganyaan failure leads to loss of human life. Remember Saras? No wonder ISRO is laser focused on Gaganyaan. And at the same time they are trudging along in other projects such as SCE-200 and SC-120, C-32, satellites, IDRSS, Chandrayaan 3, Shukrayaan, Aditya, upgrades of first and second launch pads, HLV, design of third launch pad, VTVL, RLV, SSLV, etc. I'd give them a bit more time before judging them too harshly.

chetan_chpd

Desi Homelander
Country flag
That awkward moment when you call ISRO a "PSU".
i stand corrected...ISRO is not a PSU but it's a government organization. It comes under department of space, govt of india. It doesn't come under any ministry and is directely under Prime ministers office.

still...lack of transparency, scaling up the capabilities, meeting deadlines for projects is similar to PSUs only

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
i stand corrected...ISRO is not a PSU but it's a government organization. It comes under department of space, govt of india. It doesn't come under any ministry and is directely under Prime ministers office.

still...lack of transparency, scaling up the capabilities, meeting deadlines for projects is similar to PSUs only
The current deadline slippages are partially a result of trying to massively scale up on a shoestring budget. ISRO is planning to achieve half of what the Chinese space program has with a 5th of that budget. I'd say its pretty ambitious.
Lack of transparency, especially regarding Chandrayaan-2 is a bit worrying nevertheless.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
@Okabe Rintarou They are still taking about that 16T to GTO, 41T to LEO launcher.
Good catch, the slide says varying GTO payload from 7 tons to 16 tons by varying boosters. So maybe its 7 tons to GTO and 23 tons to LEO with two SC-120 boosters and then 16 tons to GTO and 41 tons to LEO with two SC-400 as boosters. And without the boosters it'll be 5 tons to GTO and 16 tons to LEO. HLV will be truly modular and cover the entire range from higher end of medium lift LVs to the entire heavy lift LV spectrum. While PSLV will handle rest of the medium lift LV segment and SSLV and Private Space startups handle the light lift LV segment. Future is bright. Lets hope SCE-200 is a resounding success.

gslv markIII

Country flag
Good catch, the slide says varying GTO payload from 7 tons to 16 tons by varying boosters. So maybe its 7 tons to GTO and 23 tons to LEO with two SC-120 boosters and then 16 tons to GTO and 41 tons to LEO with two SC-400 as boosters. And without the boosters it'll be 5 tons to GTO and 16 tons to LEO. HLV will be truly modular and cover the entire range from higher end of medium lift LVs to the entire heavy lift LV spectrum. While PSLV will handle rest of the medium lift LV segment and SSLV and Private Space startups handle the light lift LV segment. Future is bright. Lets hope SCE-200 is a resounding success.
Also, There was this website called spaceflight.io or something which allowed one to design launchers & calculate delta-v by entering ISp, stage empty weight, engine, payload, propellent loading, etc. Ever tried that? I cannot find it now.

gslv markIII

Country flag
HLV will be truly modular and cover the entire range from higher end of medium lift LVs to the entire heavy lift LV spectrum.
I guess such a system would be almost without parallel, anywhere in the world. A lot of modular concepts have remained ''concepts'' forever.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Also, There was this website called spaceflight.io or something which allowed one to design launchers & calculate delta-v by entering ISp, stage empty weight, engine, payload, propellent loading, etc. Ever tried that? I cannot find it now.
Yeah tried it back when HLV was first announced, I think. But those calculations are only ballpark estimates. There are still others around. Like this one:-
https://launchercalculator.com/

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Entire Chandryaan, Mangalyaan, Human Spaceflight Programme and nearly all other space exploration programs were started to due to BJP's interference AFAIK. Before Atal Bihari Vajpayee unloaded his dreams on ISRO, ISRO was nothing more than a satellite launcher and again most projects were put on backburner when Congress came.

In logical terms, Gaganyaan should be prioritised over Chandryaan. Chandrayaan-3 is nothing more than a repeat mission of Chandrayaan-2 to just react to failure. It is better delayed and launched as an in-situ lunar sampling or sample return mission and it can progress slowly with minute budget along. A mission-repeat is a waste.

Demonstration of human spaceflight and a space station like settlement in orbit will impart ISRO a far better experience in critical technologies which will be useful for long term deep space missions.

USSR, USA and China, all focused on achieving a permanent human settlement in orbit before even exploring moon, leave alone deep space. A space station is more critical than a Mars rover.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
You need K Sivan to leave. Only then things will take pace.
Nothing will change its pace. ISRO was screwed by corona.
K. Sivan actually tried to push things ahead of schedules (may be due to political pressure is a different topic).
He wasn't lucky with Cdy-2 and corona who screwed his plans for 10-12 launches per year.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Nothing will change its pace. ISRO was screwed by corona.
K. Sivan actually tried to push things ahead of schedules (may be due to political pressure is a different topic).
He wasn't lucky with Cdy-2 and corona who screwed his plans for 10-12 launches per year.
Since this guy came in 2019, we were jinxed.

Reactions: SKC

Global Defence

New threads

Articles