ISRO General News and Updates

Enquirer

I am not the one who dubbed this as a rumor :)

That said, if this article is indeed true (that GSAT 30/31 launch with Ariane was some kind of coerced appeasement sought due to GSAT11 delay) then it is a much better explanation for launching GSAT 30/31 with Ariane than not being able to produce enough GSLVs in time (unfortunate nevertheless).

@Indx TechStyle blabber mouthing off in a clueless tangent sounds even more ridiculous now that he claims to be an ISRO insider.

My initial chagrin and curiosity about ISRO going with Ariane for GSAT 31 was well justified. It does seem that GSLVs were planned well ahead of time and production streamlined. I can understand the kink created by GSAT11 recall. (even though one might still be curious if it was wise to agree to Ariane's demand for 2 additional launches when ISRO could've just paid an agreed about penalty for the delay - that's a different topic of discussion altogether).
The ISRO statement someone quoted from ISRO's Sivan that the launch of GSAT 31 with Ariane was an "emergency mission to replace INSAT-4CR" is misleading at best (in the context of needing Ariane's services)

The BS that @Indx TechStyle was spinning on this topic was definitely torturous! He had no understanding of the sound underpinnings of my valid concern/question. Like every pretend-know-all resorted to abusive language and uttered irrelevant BS!

Last edited:

Enquirer

You're too outdated, uniformed that you didn't even track the trends that this "gap of supply & demand" what you're making issue of, is a very very recent phenomenon which one doesn't even know how long is going to last. No one was concerned with supply because enough supply to comply with demand was there.

Still, ISRO has launched 71 expendable rockets till date, 39 outta which are from this decade alone which is driven by demand only.

To be objective:

• To make every vehicle: PSLV, GSLV Mk2 or GSLV Mk3, we've to fabricate most of components. Over that we had only one assembly building (now got two. So, work became faster). Both fab + assembly takes collectively to one month.
  • Launches for foreign customers is preferred over own mission. The day we started to say no or later to them, more competitors will be born.
  • Space exploration missions don't happen every month year or even 5-7 years. They just need one launch window and the set of scientists and engineers involved in research of new projects is separate from the one conducting regular launch practices.
The attempts I've mentioned earlier regarding a Modular Rocket called UMLV to standardize fabrication and create launch vehicle parts stocks, a third launch pad with one more assembly building, another launch site in Tamil Nadu with more launch pads and SSLV to serve commercial and light emergency launches.

And actually new launch pads may be put on hold or may never start because most of load will be eliminated by SSLV.
Can you STOP your BS?
It's very clear that you have no idea about the issue or the concern that I raised. Just like your whack job cousin sustivel you spin relentlessly until the spectator gets dizzy!

There seems to be a decent explanation for ISRO-Ariane tango on GSAT 31!

Close your eyes, sigh, forget everything we talked about and then look at your post. You'll realize what your level is.

If I did a personal attack; I came up with contradictions, you only with abuses in attempt to cover up everything.

Parents don't teach anyone to get rude. Both teens and adults get rude in anger and excitement. The kind of language I choose when I'm rude vs that you choose (the f lang.) when you're rude, reflects what our parents taught us. It will also determine what kind of Kidd we're going to produce.;)
Once you transgress the line of decency, then you cannot dictate if others can transgress or not. If you punch, then get ready for a double punch. Don't go crying to momma how unfair it is that you started with only one punch but got two in return.

You declared respected institutions criminal
What? Are you 11 years old? Are you metaphor impaired?

Not all of us mate, some of us are actually ......
Punctuate, dude! Punctuate! :)

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
There seems to be a decent explanation for ISRO-Ariane tango on GSAT 31!
The long assembly time of GSLV is no less explanation. If doesn't, no Indian satellite from foreign soil will fly after GSAT-20.
If you punch, then get ready for a double punch. Don't go crying to momma how unfair it is that you started with only one punch but got two in return.
You still think you gave me a punch? Go through the posts and find out who was rattled.
What? Are you 11 years old? Are you metaphor impaired?
The BS that @Indx TechStyle was spinning on this topic was definitely torturous!
"ISRO is going same way of DRDO HAL."
Enough of the juvenile bs.
Punctuate, dude! Punctuate! :)
Typo mistake.

Enquirer

When I suspected ISRO may be at fault, this dude @Indx TechStyle jumped at my throat; now that I exonerated ISRO, he claims ISRO is not innocent!

Perhaps he should give mating a chance! But then for posterity sake, maybe not! :)

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
  1. Biggest of Indian satellites in upcoming future will mostly weigh more than 5 tonnes. The first flight of upgraded GSLV Mk3 is scheduled for December 2020. It won't be able to fly too often in a single year. So, few more contracts for Arianespace. Although, few more GSLVs as SSLV may take care of commercial missions for which PSLV used to occupy vehicle assembly building.
  2. HAL DRDO sucks & ISRO is best; are YouTube comments from the people who can't understand the degree of difficulty in technological and commercial aspects of aviation and aerospace sector. They better remain restricted to that place only.
Regards

Enquirer

1. Biggest of Indian satellites in upcoming future will mostly weigh more than 5 tonnes. The first flight of upgraded GSLV Mk3 is scheduled for December 2020. It won't be able to fly too often in a single year. So, few more contracts for Arianespace. Although, few more GSLVs as SSLV may take care of commercial missions for which PSLV used to occupy vehicle assembly building.
  2. HAL DRDO sucks & ISRO is best; are YouTube comments from the people who can't understand the degree of difficulty in technological and commercial aspects of aviation and aerospace sector. They better remain restricted to that place only.
Regards
You don't know when to shut up, do you?
HAL/DRDO sucks but ISRO's sins are forgiven because it's involved in aviation/aerospace tech?
(let the record reflect that the above view is held by the same whack job who berates others for questioning 'Indian institutions')

I could go into the details of how it's easier to eat one's own dog food (which ISRO does with its launch vehicles) while it's more difficult to make miniaturized commercial products whose user will compare its weight/performance/price with the best in the world....but something tells me that the audience lacks basic intelligence to understand that. Come back when you grow up!

Last edited:

Enquirer

Regards
Reading this once again....did you mess up your punctuation once again to give a different meaning than intended?
11 year olds' have so much to learn!

G10

Country flag
Those who do not have anything worthwhile to share please stop littering. Rant some where else.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
You don't know when to shut up, do you?
HAL/DRDO sucks but ISRO's sins are forgiven because it's involved in aviation/aerospace tech?
(let the record reflect that the above view is held by the same whack job who berates others for questioning 'Indian institutions')

I could go into the details of how it's easier to eat one's own dog food (which ISRO does with its launch vehicles) while it's more difficult to make miniaturized commercial products whose user will compare its weight/performance/price with the best in the world....but something tells me that the audience lacks basic intelligence to understand that. Come back when you grow up!
It's you who made that ignorant statement.
Either HAL/DRDO are as good as ISRO or ISRO is as bad as HAL DRDO. It gets attention because there aren't so many countries with launch vehicle programs. Otherwise, it has been no different than other PSUs when compared to counterparts of US, Russia, China, Japan or EU. It was late to make decent medium & heavy launchers, cryogenic engines, had to buy lot of foreign payloads for research onboard, suffers same

The other aspect of choosing indigenous tech and exporting is quality. Launch vehicle's quality ends with throwing satellite successfully in desired orbit. It's launch frequency is not very good either. In case of aircrafts, quality is not only determined by reliability but other features which makes the job tough for DRDO & HAL. Nevertheless, for every delayed project, they have 4-5 successful ones which never are sung. Here your comment is and no matter what how much you spin things around, you were as ignorant as a teen.
That should be considered a crime!
After spending decades of research to attain the capability, ISRO is not able to fully utilize the fruits of labor?
It's like HAL....
ISRO definitely seems to be going DRDO/HAL route - only interested in running after new shiny objects like gaganyaan, mangalyaan, humanyaan for scientific interest.
DRDO also was very happy scrapping projects and starting new ones - just having fun; until Parrikar told them that no new projects can start until they've COMPLETED existing ones.
ISRO should set proper production planning in place before running after shiny objects.

ISRO is clearly dropping the ball here. Somehow ISRO used to appear as the darling compared to the dysfunctional DRDO....and too many folks are rushing to defend it....
You will again either do personal attack or complain that I wasn't humble.

Constructive criticism may be justified, not plain rants. There is nothing called "way" of ISRO or DRDO, both suffer problems and both have been improving. Nature of work on both sides is totally different.
Reading this once again....did you mess up your punctuation once again to give a different meaning than intended?
11 year olds' have so much to learn!
For the semicolon?

Last edited:

Enquirer

It's you who made that ignorant statement.
Either HAL/DRDO are as good as ISRO or ISRO is as bad as HAL DRDO. It gets attention because there aren't so many countries with launch vehicle programs. Otherwise, it has been no different than other PSUs when compared to counterparts of US, Russia, China, Japan or EU. It was late to make decent medium & heavy launchers, cryogenic engines, had to buy lot of foreign payloads for research onboard, suffers same

The other aspect of choosing indigenous tech and exporting is quality. Launch vehicle's quality ends with throwing satellite successfully in desired orbit. It's launch frequency is not very good either. In case of aircrafts, quality is not only determined by reliability but other features which makes the job tough for DRDO & HAL. Nevertheless, for every delayed project, they have 4-5 successful ones which never are sung. Here your comment is and no matter what how much you spin things around, you were as ignorant as a teen.

You will again either do personal attack or complain that I wasn't humble.

Constructive criticism may be justified, not plain rants. There is nothing called "way" of ISRO or DRDO, both suffer problems and both have been improving. Nature of work on both sides is totally different.

For the semicolon?
You're intellectually no older than a 11 year old!
You cannot understand the fundamental issue/question & debate logically.

To summarize:
- My issue/concern was NOT about ISRO/HAL's technical capabilities but their production planning. My concern was due to the purported use of a foreign launch vehicle when the capability had existed in-house for while.
- You went on a rant about how arduous production is, how low the budgets are and blah blah blah...essentially underscoring (a justification) that adequate launch vehicles CANNOT be made to meet the demand!
- I rightfully declared my outrage for your 'supposed' defense for inadequate production planning
- BUT it turns out that ISRO was actually adequately funded and had adequately planned to build all the launch vehicles to meet the demand; unfortunately by some freak complication they got coerced into using additional Ariane rockets!
- Net-net: I had a valid question/concern, which got logically answered by certain revelations.
- While your rant, defending ISRO's (your own) 'imagined' under-production of launch vehicles is complete BS.

Since you work (in some capacity at ISRO), you feel that you can blabber anything illogical & inaccurate; and expect others to just listen. Your hubris in the matter betrays your ignorance.

As far as I am concerned my original question/concern has been addressed.
You became a roadkill for jumping in front of and barking at the speeding info truck.

My last!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
You're intellectually no older than a 11 year old!
You cannot understand the fundamental issue/question & debate logically.

To summarize:
- My issue/concern was NOT about ISRO/HAL's technical capabilities but their production planning. My concern was due to the purported use of a foreign launch vehicle when the capability had existed in-house for while.
- You went on a rant about how arduous production is, how low the budgets are and blah blah blah...essentially underscoring (a justification) that adequate launch vehicles CANNOT be made to meet the demand!
- I rightfully declared my outrage for your 'supposed' defense for inadequate production planning
- BUT it turns out that ISRO was actually adequately funded and had adequately planned to build all the launch vehicles to meet the demand; unfortunately by some freak complication they got coerced into using additional Ariane rockets!
- Net-net: I had a valid question/concern, which got logically answered by certain revelations.
- While your rant, defending ISRO's (your own) 'imagined' under-production of launch vehicles is complete BS.

Since you work (in some capacity at ISRO), you feel that you can blabber anything illogical & inaccurate; and expect others to just listen. Your hubris in the matter betrays your ignorance.

As far as I am concerned my original question/concern has been addressed.
You became a roadkill for jumping in front of and barking at the speeding info truck.

My last!
Ultimately, will be contradicted if GSAT-20 is not last Indian satellite to be launched by foreign vendor (plus the relaxation of time till SCE-200 takes flight). Both capacities & demands have changed.
Case closed.

Enquirer

Ultimately, will be contradicted if GSAT-20 is not last Indian satellite to be launched by foreign vendor (plus the relaxation of time till SCE-200 takes flight). Both capacities & demands have changed.
Case closed.
No contradiction.
The purview of this above discussion was only the mature technologies that're already in serial production - not upcoming technologies, not heavy lift launch vehicles AND not complete severing of ties with Ariane!

chetan chopade

News Update: Can Modi become India's Kennedy?

<https://www.chetansindiaspaceflight.com/2019/02/news-update-can-modi-become-indias.html>

Capture.JPG

Pic: Indian PM Modi announcing Manned Space Mission 'Gaganyaan'-2018/ former US president J.F. Kennedy asserting Manned Moon Mission 'Apollo'-1962

Source: https://www.financialexpress.com/opinion/gaganyaan-isro-should-learn-from-the-american-voyage-to-the-moon/1488081/

"Although the task (USA's Apollo Project) was extremely costly, taking this risk proved extremely successful for the US in the long run. This whole episode is a great lesson for the critiques of ISRO’s Gaganyaan mission. What they need to understand is that for India to become a formidable space power, it needs to take risks—much like what the US did in the 1960s—to reap the benefits afterwards."

chetan chopade

News update: PSLV-C45 and Chandrayaan-2 missions

<https://www.chetansindiaspaceflight.com/2019/02/news-update-pslv-c45-and-chandrayaan-2.html>

PS4.jpg

pic: PS4 stage with solar panels (concept)

Sources: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/isro-set-for-first-three-orbit-mission-of-pslv-c45-on-march-14/articleshow/68016364.cms

&

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...-launch-by-april-end/articleshow/67746542.cms

• ISRO centres began the launch assembly campaign on Monday for advanced electronic intelligence satellite EMISAT with 29 satellites on board the PSLV-C45 rocket
  • launch to happen on March 14
  • It will be the first three-orbit mission and the first launch that uses solar panels for the required thrust (?) {"PSLV fourth stage (PS4) that uses solar panels"; what does required thrust via solar panels even mean? solar sail?}
  • After launch of the satellite EMISAT into orbit at 780 km, it will inject 29 satellites into orbit at 504 km and the rocket's fourth stage will automatically be reused to establish an orbital platform at 485 km orbit to carry out scientific experiments
  • For the first time, PSLV with four strap-on configuration has been identified for this mission. Till now, ISRO has used either two strap-on or six strap-onconfiguration for the mission or it was without strap-on
  • The Indian Space Research Organisation chairman, Sivan K, on Tuesday confirmed that Chandrayaan-2, India’s second lunar mission, would be launched by the end of April. Sivan told reporters on the sidelines of a space symposium at Pune(i visited this but after this news, will share the images soon) on Tuesday that the launch window was between March and April-end and the decision for the April launch had been finalized. He said, “The testing phase of the space mission is under way. We will be ready by April-end to launch the mission.”

chetan chopade

News update: Gaganyaan project- crucial meeting

<https://www.chetansindiaspaceflight.com/2019/02/news-update-gaganyaan-project-crucial.html>

maxresdefault.jpg

Pic: (from left to right- Gaganyaan crew escape tower model, astronaut EVA, Gaganyaan proposed space suit design and CARE capsule of ISRO)

Source: THE HINDU <https://idrw.org/gaganyaans-review-panel-to-meet-in-march/>
  • A national review committee to meet for the first time in Bengaluru (March 5 and 6).
  • To comprehensively discuss on details.
  • ISRO wants to unveil mission’s details to stakeholders from multiple agencies.
  • The committee will also be briefed on the lunar lander and rover mission, Chandrayaan-2.
  • Back in November 2004, ISRO had first brainstormed a crewed mission at a similar gathering of nearly 100 experts in Bengaluru.
  • Agreements and programmes planned with the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will start taking shape from now on under the newly formed Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC) and a dedicated project team.
  • ISRO recently submitted to the IAF a set of requirements on selecting and training prospective Indian space travellers. The IAF would come back with details of its facilities.
  • The astronauts will be mainly trained at the IAF’s Institute of Aerospace Medicine in Bengaluru.
  • Environment Control and Life Support Systems (ELCSS) in the capsule:- The life sciences labs of the DRDO to work on it.

chetan chopade

News update: Gaganyaan bite
<https://www.chetansindiaspaceflight.com/2019/02/news-update-gaganyaan-bite.html>
SIVAN_ISRO_EPS1221.jpg

Source: https://idrw.org/isro-capable-of-completing-gaganyaan-by-2021-deadline-chairman-k-sivan/

"The Indian Space Research Organisation has recently had a discussion with representatives from various armed forces in the country to select astronauts. “The process (of selecting astronauts) is already on and an announcement for selection will be made soon,” said K Sivan, Chairman, ISRO, here{AERO INDIA 2019- Bengaluru} on Monday."

chetan chopade

News update: 'ISRO's stuff:- marketing idea' & 'SSLV'

<https://www.chetansindiaspaceflight.com/2019/02/news-update-isros-stuff-marketing-idea.html>
Hal-LOGO.jpg

Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...oitation-of-isros-rd/articleshow/68070011.cms

• Cabinet on Tuesday approved setting up of a new company under Department of Space to commercially exploit the R&D work of ISRO.
    • This govt. plan includes the small satellite technology transfer to the private industry, manufacture of SSLV in collaboration with the private sector, production of PSLV through industry, production and marketing of space-based products and services and marketing of spin-off technologies and products, both in India and abroad.

• SSLV:- This mini-PSLV can be assembled in 3-4 days as compared to 40 days for a normal-size rocket. The first test of SSLV, which will be used to launch small satellites weighing less than 500 kg, is due in June-July.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles