ISRO General News and Updates

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Cryogenic again performed great,cryogenic engine does provide more thrust for every kg of propellant than other engines giving payload advantage ,many so called "defence " analyst refute that india will ever use cryogenic engines for missiles because arranging such propellants like liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen in short notice is not feasible but you never know !
The issue is that cryogenic engines cannot work in normal temperature environments. The cryogenic fuel can function well only in temperatures below −183 °C to −253 °C, converting them to liquid form. Hence, all cryogenic rocket engines are either liquid-propellant rocket engines or hybrid rocket engines.

Thus cryogenic engines are initiated only in space as temperatures there are within the range mentioned above.

kurup

Country flag
The issue is that cryogenic engines cannot work in normal temperature environments. The cryogenic fuel can function well only in temperatures below −183 °C to −253 °C, converting them to liquid form. Hence, all cryogenic rocket engines are either liquid-propellant rocket engines or hybrid rocket engines.

Thus cryogenic engines are initiated only in space as temperatures there are within the range mentioned above.
First Stage of French Ariane 5 rocket is powered by a Cryo Engine and is lit on ground itself .

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
First Stage of French Ariane 5 rocket is powered by a Cryo Engine and is lit on ground itself .
Ariane 6 has a ‘PHH’ configuration, indicating the sequence of stages:

1. A first stage using strap-on boosters based on solid propulsion (P)

2. A second and third stage using cryogenic liquid oxygen and hydrogen propulsion (H).

Similarly, the Ariane 5 lifts off with the help of strap-on boosters based on solid propulsion (P). The main cryogenic stage (H), ignites later.

Ariane 5

Solid booster stage
Provides the main thrust during takeoff before separating from the main cryogenic stage.

Main cryogenic stage
Central body that ensures propulsion
after the solid booster stage separates.

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag

2. A second and third stage using cryogenic liquid oxygen and hydrogen propulsion (H).

Similarly, the Ariane 5 lifts off with the help of strap-on boosters based on solid propulsion (P). The main cryogenic stage (H), ignites later.

Ariane 5

Solid booster stage
Provides the main thrust during takeoff before separating from the main cryogenic stage.

Main cryogenic stage
I think what @kurup wanted to point out was JAXA's HII series of rockets. They use solid boosters as well, but all stages including first stage are cryo- LH2+LOX, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-IIA

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
I think what @kurup wanted to point out was JAXA's HII series of rockets. They use solid boosters as well, but all stages including first stage are cryo- LH2+LOX, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-IIA
The first stage has cryo LH2+LOX but ignites AFTER the boosters with a burn time between 60 and 120 secs depending on the variant.

However, we need a rocket expert/scientist here to clarify whether a cryo engine can be used for lift off.

AnantS

Country flag
The first stage has cryo LH2+LOX but ignites AFTER the boosters with a burn time between 60 and 120 secs depending on the variant.

However, we need a rocket expert/scientist here to clarify whether a cryo engine can be used for lift off.
My Guess is thats more to with aim of synchronizing Booster and First stage cutoff and separation. But are you sure first stage ignites after launch? Thats effectively makes it second stage not first stage I think. @IndexTechStyle any comments?

kurup

Country flag

Ariane 5

Solid booster stage

Main cryogenic stage
In case of Ariane 5 the cryo engine Vulcan is ignited 7 sec before the Solid boosters .

http://spaceflight101.com/ariane-5-countdown-timeline/

http://spaceflight101.com/ariane-5-va226/ariane-5-va226-launch-profile/

kurup

Country flag

Whether a cryo stage alone can lift the rocket will depend on the thrust of the engines .

My point was w.r.t your quote " The issue is that cryogenic engines cannot work in normal temperature environments " .

Chinmoy

Country flag
Cryogenic again performed great,cryogenic engine does provide more thrust for every kg of propellant than other engines giving payload advantage ,many so called "defence " analyst refute that india will ever use cryogenic engines for missiles because arranging such propellants like liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen in short notice is not feasible but you never know !
A cryogenic engine for missile system would be impractical at its best.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
Someone post this in PeeDeeFff...... :devil:

Apart from the Ku band communication payload, he said, the satellite also has optical communication payload as well as high resolution camera.
While the Geo High Resolution camera will carry out high resolution imaging,

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Someone post this in PeeDeeFff...... :devil:
It's been less crowded, trashier & somewhat funnier these days.

happylion

Country flag
Absolutely wrong. Please Google Space Shuttle SSME. That was very much ground lit !!
Firing a Cryo or semicryo engine is not dependent on ambient temperature.

indiatester

Country flag
It's been less crowded, trashier & somewhat funnier these days.
I have stopped going there. It was a revelation to me as to how an entire country can be so bigoted and harbor such cruel intentions against us as a nation and culture.
Indian Space Capabilities was one of the few threads that we could visit. I don't know how its doing now.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I have stopped going there. It was a revelation to me as to how an entire country can be so bigoted and harbor such cruel intentions against us as a nation and culture.
Indian Space Capabilities was one of the few threads that we could visit. I don't know how its doing now.
It sometimes get mild due to depression of Pakistan, right now it has become more disgusted than ever.
Geopolitically, militarily & economicall, they seem to be accepting defeat and don't bother Indians in these things much. But there's a surge in racial attacks and Indian crime news threads. Moderation team is running in action. A Pakistani can call you monkey, rapist, negro or whatever he wants, you'll be banned even if you use word stupid or idiot.

Only thing new to notice is their arguments have started with Chinese. Chinese are buddhists and atheists, pakistanis are muslims, chinese have started criticisng islam in open & here we go.:tongue:

I'll post it some on relevant thread here.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles