ISRO General News and Updates

Flame Thrower

FOR YOUR INFORMATION!!
BRO.ISRO IS SECRETLY CONDUCTING SEMI-CRYOGENIC ENGINE TESTING IN UKRAINE!!!
What!!!

You joking right!?, why in the world ISRO will do such tests in Ukraine.

What do we get from that!?

Ukraine is a den of NATO and Russian agents.

Given the power struggle going over there, I doubt India has good relationship with Ukraine.

Coming to infra, soviet infra must be in very bad shape.

If you have any proof(no matter how absurd it is) for your claims, then please do share

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
What!!!

You joking right!?, why in the world ISRO will do such tests in Ukraine.

What do we get from that!?

Ukraine is a den of NATO and Russian agents.

Given the power struggle going over there, I doubt India has good relationship with Ukraine.

Coming to infra, soviet infra must be in very bad shape.

If you have any proof(no matter how absurd it is) for your claims, then please do share
engine is ours we are currently building test facility for such huge engines so we have to test it in ukrain u can just google about it

Prashant12

Country flag
Cabinet approves Rs 10,900 crore for 30 PSLV, 10 GSLV Mk III launches

NEW DELHI: In a big boost to India’s space programme, the Cabinet has given the financial approval of Rs 10,900 crore for the launch of 30 PSLV and 10 GSLV Mk III rockets in the next four years.

“With the Cabinet approval of Rs 4,338 crore for 10 launches of 10 GSLV Mk III (Isro’s fat boy) in the next four years, we will be able to launch heavier satellites weighing around 4 tonne. This will be a big leap forward as we don’t have to depend on foreign spaceports for launching heavier satellites,” minister of state in PMO Jitendra Singh said.

“This GSLV Mk II programme has materialised and evolved in the last three to four years under the Modi government. It is in keeping with the Make of India programme and is totally an indigenous programme," Singh said, adding, "With this programme, Isro will be able to launch not only mini satellites of foreign countries but also foreign satellites of over 4 tonne weight.”

The Cabinet has also given approval for 30 PSLV launches with the financial sanction of Rs 6,573 crore, he said.
“Besides the satellite launches, India should look forward to the upcoming Chandrayaan-2 launch in October as it will be a significant achievement in space programme for the country,” the minister said.

Talking to TOI after the Cabinet approval, Isro chairman K Sivan said, “It is the happiest moment for all of us in Isro. The Cabinet approvals for the PSLV and GSLV rocket launches will give a big boost to Indian space programmes. The satellite launches will not only be significant for our space agency but also benefit the common man. Under the Modi government, Isro has taken giant leaps in space programmes.”

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...gslv-mk-iii-launches/articleshow/64481976.cms

Prashant12

Country flag
Isro gets nod for semi-cryogenic engine, will boost GSLV’s lift capability by 1 tonne

NEW DELHI: The Space Commission has given approval to Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) to develop a semi-croygenic engine, which will increase the lifting capability of its GSLV Mk III rocket by one tonne.

Talking to TOI about the new project, Isro chairman K Sivansaid, “After a presentation before the Space Commission, Isro has got the approval for developing the semi-cryogenic rocket stage. The deadline to develop this stage is 29 months. Once the stage is ready, the carrying capability of GSLV Mk III will increase from the existing four tonnes to five tonnes.”

Explaining the project, Sivan said, “A GSLV Mk III rocket comprises two strap-on boosters (to provide thrust during a launch), middle stage that carries liquid fuel nitrogen tetroxide and unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine, and the second stage, which consists of a cryogenic engine. Once the semicryogenic stage is developed, we will simply replace the middle liquid fuel stage with it. The new stage is likely to be an exact fit and the rocket will look like the earlier one from outside.”

He said, “The first launch of Isro’s heaviest rocket GSLV Mk III DI last year carried 3.1 tonne weight. The second launch of Mk III D2, scheduled in July this year and which will carry Gsat-29 satellite, will have the load capability of 3.7 tonnes. We can easily raise the weight up to 4 tonne. With the semicryogenic stage, the same rocket will be able to carry the load up to five tonne. With the increased capability, we don’t have to depend on foreign spaceports to launch our satellites weighing over 5 tonnes.”
Sivan said, “Isro’s satellites will now track the production of 25 crops from earlier eight crops. The satellite forecast about the crop acreage and production helps farmers and the government plan better management of the yield.”

Isro has over a dozen remote-sensing satellites like Cartosat, Resourcesat and Risat-1 for agriculture forecast and other social welfare applications. However, the demand for such applications in recent times has increased and therefore the space agency is planning to launch six more satellites dedicated to land and water, cartography, oceanography and environment.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...apability-by-1-tonne/articleshow/64499802.cms

G10

Country flag
Somebody was jumping the gun about semi cryo engine being tested in ukraine. We are yet to construct a prototype.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I think Semi Cryo project was cleared in 2009 with budget of Rs 1500 crores. I Wonder What is this new clearance?

indiatester

Country flag

AnantS

Country flag
Which ever idiot writes this "elite club" must be made to join one such club with their wages paying full fee.
Why can't the news be just, Indian scientists discover new planet around another star.

@Chinmoy
Sorry mate, taking my rant out on your post.
Tell me about it. Its cringe worthy headlines makes to appear as if Indian Scientists and engineers are doing only for show, pomp or are in some jealous competition. Takes the whole limelight away from discovery they have made. I mean also its a lame sort of attempt to hide lazy research done on the subject- thus need to hide lack of substance in article- these bombastic headlines become necessary.

The science blokes would be more happy if the articles talked more about the effort that went into for the achievement.

happylion

Country flag
Engine was already built, cold flow test was done.and well publicised. This refers to testing the entire stage as we still have not completed the entire testing facility. Some subcomponents were supposed to be tested in Ukraine but the entire engine and stage testing is to be done in India

Chinmoy

Country flag
Which ever idiot writes this "elite club" must be made to join one such club with their wages paying full fee.
Why can't the news be just, Indian scientists discover new planet around another star.

@Chinmoy
Sorry mate, taking my rant out on your post.
No offence taken.

I think you and @AnantS might have been talking about something like this as headline.

Indian scientists discover planet 600 light years away

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ists-discover-planet/articleshow/64503209.cms

Well, I have no problem with the term Elite club as it holds its ground. For every nation, developing or developed, space is the final frontier in science and technology. But most of them has been content around in sending probes and satellites, but nothing serious in term of study. Apart from NASA's Kepler, I don't see any serious attempt by anyone else from European space agency or Japan or China in attempting anything like this.

So this feat in itself is not a less one just like Mangalyan or recent Chinese feat of landing probe on dark side of moon.

AnantS

Country flag
No offence taken.

I think you and @AnantS might have been talking about something like this as headline.

Indian scientists discover planet 600 light years away

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...ists-discover-planet/articleshow/64503209.cms

Well, I have no problem with the term Elite club as it holds its ground. For every nation, developing or developed, space is the final frontier in science and technology. But most of them has been content around in sending probes and satellites, but nothing serious in term of study. Apart from NASA's Kepler, I don't see any serious attempt by anyone else from European space agency or Japan or China in attempting anything like this.

So this feat in itself is not a less one just like Mangalyan or recent Chinese feat of landing probe on dark side of moon.
or Rare Feet accomplished by Indian Scientists: A New Planet discovered

Chinmoy you miss the point, the article heading would have been fine if it went into details of hard work and ingenious tools employed. No matter how much I hate TheHindu, but science articles on the Hindu and Frontline are some of best researched articles.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I think that is a reasonable assumption.
That in the earlier phase the engine was developed while now the sanction has been given to develop the complete semi cryogenic stage & perhaps for testing it on GSLV?

Chinmoy

Country flag
or Rare Feet accomplished by Indian Scientists: A New Planet discovered

Chinmoy you miss the point, the article heading would have been fine if it went into details of hard work and ingenious tools employed. No matter how much I hate TheHindu, but science articles on the Hindu and Frontline are some of best researched articles.
As afar as I see, none of the tabloid had covered the ISRO feat the way they should have. Apart from our age old DD, none of the news channel or media house seems to be capable enough to bring in serious minds and brain to discuss serious technology.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I think Semi Cryo project was cleared in 2009 with budget of Rs 1500 crores. I Wonder What is this new clearance?
How sad that VIkram sara bhai's advise to develop cryogenic engine was not heard. We made Cryogenic engine but still we do not have semi cryo. It was much wider application and once we get it, our lifting capacity will go much higher.

AnantS

Country flag
As afar as I see, none of the tabloid had covered the ISRO feat the way they should have. Apart from our age old DD, none of the news channel or media house seems to be capable enough to bring in serious minds and brain to discuss serious technology.
Even old newspapers had regular science sections written by retired scientists. Now replaced by Taimur Kareena, Horror-scopes & fart-e-torials or farticles by authors from pidi-commie syndicate. Anyway last OT post from my side, sorry folks for sidelining thread.

Trinetra

Country flag
The Quest to Find a Trillion-Dollar Nuclear Fuel on the Moon

India’s space program wants to go where no nation has gone before -– to the south side of the moon. And once it gets there, it will study the potential for mining a source of waste-free nuclear energy that could be worth trillions of dollars.

The nation’s equivalent of NASA will launch a rover in October to explore virgin territory on the lunar surface and analyze crust samples for signs of water and helium-3. That isotope is limited on Earth yet so abundant on the moon that it theoretically could meet global energy demands for 250 years if harnessed.

The Chandrayaan-2 being readied in a clean room of the ISRO Satellite Center.

“The countries which have the capacity to bring that source from the moon to Earth will dictate the process,’’ said K. Sivan, chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation. “I don’t want to be just a part of them, I want to lead them.’’

The mission would solidify India’s place among the fleet of explorers
racing to the moon, Mars and beyond for scientific, commercial or military gains. The governments of the U.S., China, India, Japan and Russia are competing with startups and billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson to launch satellites, robotic landers, astronauts and tourists into the cosmos.

The rover landing is one step in an envisioned series for ISRO that includes putting a space station in orbit and, potentially, an Indian crew on the moon. The government has yet to set a timeframe.

“We are ready and waiting,’’ said Sivan, an aeronautics engineer who joined ISRO in 1982. “We’ve equipped ourselves to take on this particular program.’’

Control room for Chang’e-3 at the Beijing Aerospace Control Center, on Dec. 14, 2013.

China is the only country to put a lander and rover on the moon this century with its Chang’e 3 mission in 2013. The nation plans to return later this year by sending a probe to the unexplored far side.

In the U.S., President Donald Trump signed a directive calling for astronauts to return to the moon, and NASA’s proposed $19 billion budget this fiscal year calls for launching a lunar orbiter by the early 2020s.

ISRO’s estimated budget is less than a 10th of that – about $1.7 billion – but accomplishing feats on the cheap has been a hallmark of the agency since the 1960s. The upcoming mission will cost about $125 million – or less than a quarter of Snap Inc. co-founder Evan Spiegel’s compensation last year, the highest for an executive of a publicly traded company, according to the Bloomberg Pay Index.

Launch of Chandrayaan-1 at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, on Oct. 23, 2008

Source: ISR0/EPA
This won’t be India’s first moon mission. The Chandrayaan-1 craft, launched in October 2008, completed more than 3,400 orbits and ejected a probe that discoveredmolecules of water in the surface for the first time.

The upcoming launch of Chandrayaan-2 includes an orbiter, lander and a rectangular rover. The six-wheeled vehicle, powered by solar energy, will collect information for at least 14 days and cover an area with a 400-meter radius.

The rover will send images to the lander, and the lander will transmit those back to ISRO for analysis.

A primary objective, though, is to search for deposits of helium-3. Solar winds have bombarded the moon with immense quantities of helium-3 because it’s not protected by a magnetic field like Earth is.

The presence of helium-3 was confirmed in moon samples returned by the Apollo missions, and Apollo 17 astronaut Harrison Schmitt, a geologist who walked on the moon in December 1972, is an avid proponent of mining helium-3.

“It is thought that this isotope could provide safer nuclear energy in a fusion reactor, since it is not radioactive and would not produce dangerous waste products,’’ the European Space Agency said.

There are an estimated 1 million metric tons of helium-3 embedded in the moon, though only about a quarter of that realistically could be brought to Earth, said Gerald Kulcinski, director of the Fusion Technology Institute at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a former member of the NASA Advisory Council.

That’s still enough to meet the world’s current energy demands for at least two, and possibly as many as five, centuries, Kulcinski said. He estimated helium-3’s value at about $5 billion a ton, meaning 250,000 tons would be worth in the trillions of dollars.

To be sure, there are numerous obstacles to overcome before the material can be used – including the logistics of collection and delivery back to Earth and building fusion power plants to convert the material into energy. Those costs would be stratospheric.

ISRO chairman K. Sivan

Photographer: Samyukta Lakshmi/Bloomberg
“If that can be cracked, India should be a part of that effort,’’ said Lydia Powell, who runs the Centre for Resources Management at the New Delhi-based Observer Research Foundation think tank. “If the cost makes sense, it will become a game-changer, no doubt about it.’’

Plus, it won’t be easy to mine the moon. Only the U.S. and Luxembourg have passed legislation allowing commercial entities to hold onto what they have mined from space, said David Todd, head of space content at Northampton, England-based Seradata Ltd. There isn’t any international treaty on the issue.

“Eventually, it will be like fishing in the sea in international waters,’’ Todd said. “While a nation-state cannot hold international waters, the fish become the property of its fishermen once fished.’’

India’s government is reacting to the influx of commercial firms in space by drafting legislation to regulate satellite launches, company registrations and liability, said GV Anand Bhushan, a Chennai-based partner at the Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co. law firm. It doesn’t cover moon mining.

Rakesh Sharma

Photographer: Dhiraj Singh/Bloomberg
Yet the nation’s only spaceman isn’t fully on board with turning the moon into a place of business.

Rakesh Sharma, who spent almost eight days aboard a Russian spacecraft in 1984, said nations and private enterprises instead should work together to develop human colonies elsewhere as Earth runs out of resources and faces potential catastrophes such as asteroid strikes.

“You can’t go to the moon and draw boundaries,’’ Sharma said. “I want India to show that we’re capable of utilizing space technology for the good of people.’

kurup

Country flag
PAD Abort Test on 05 July 2018

INDIA EAST COAST – OFF CHENNAI (.) CHARTS 32 33 313 356 391 INT 71 (.) PAD ABORT TEST FROM SHAR SRIHARIKOTA SCHEDULED ON 05 JUL 18 FROM 0030 - 0430 UTC IN DANGER CIRCLE OF 05 NM AROUND 13-41.9N 080-13.9E

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles