ISRO General News and Updates

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
..................................... Onboard Camera view GSLV MK3
Are there still people who believe flat earth theory or what?:truestory:

Anyway atleast Kejrival ise hoax nahi bol sakta.

Krusty

Country flag
Just my observation....Why do all our boosters and rockets have higher thrust than the Chinese rockets and yet the Chinese have the capability to launch greater weights into GTO?
I am assuming you are comparing GSLV to Longmarch 5. Actually LM5 uses more engines ( 4 in number with lower thrust each) to achieve almost the same thrust as GSLV. Additionally, LM5's boosters have a higher specific impulse (meaning you need to carry less mass to get the same thrust) along with a higher burn time. But most importantly, LM5 design was concieved from the get go to carry a higher load than the GSLV (consequently LM5 is about 14 meters taller than the GSLV) by design allowing for more payload volume. I should add that he current GSLVs S200 booster is capable of a lot more than what it's doing now.

Make no mistake, I have no doubt the next logical step for ISRO is to modify the GSLV with a taller core stage (more payload volume) with the same booster which will enable the rocket to carry far higher payloads than what GSLV is capable now. It will then be on par or even exceed LM5s capabilities given the potential of the S200 boosters. The modifications can be made like this illustration with the different configurations of the Soviet Vostok rocket. Note every design had the same boosters but each carries different payloads to different heights..

IMG_3759.PNG

It's not the the GSLV engines can't lift as much as the LM5. The current design doesn't allow it to. As I said, the same platform will definitely evolve to lift far higher payloads in the future.

Krusty

Country flag
I have a question, I know for a fact that on space shuttle missions, NASA recovers the boosters after seperation. Are we doing the same? I mean recover the boosters from sea after seperation and reuse the components? Atleast 70-80% cost of the rocket is pumped into these massive boosters. We would save a ton of money if we are indeed doing it

Last edited:

mayfair

we may see SCE200(semi cryo) tested by 2018 and tried on lvm3(which will have enhanced 6tons to gto).they also plan to increase gto capacity upto 15tons by 2020.
SCE by 2018 seems a little difficult since we are still in the design phase and at least 2 years from getting a fully mature product. I believe it'll be another 2 years of rigorous testing before we'll be ready to replace L110s with SCEs, so a conservative estimate would be 2021 at the earliest.

Krusty

Country flag
After S 200 separation , no second stage ignition ?? No thrust for some seconds ? Why ?

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk
This is only a Guess but... in reference only earlier question, the booster rockets are perhaps salvaged by ISRO. Remember at that velocity the craft has immense momentum And in that few seconds the craft travels several kilometres under its own momentum while the boosters are seperated. The gap is probably to avoid damage to the separating from the exhaust blast of the second stage engine. So at the time of the firing, the boosters are safely out of the way. Then when they fall back into the ocean (parachutes can be deployed to break the fall) they can be salvaged with minimal damage and reused.

NASA does this too with their boosters.

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3764.JPG

Parachutes are deployed after booster seperation and they fall back into the ocean where the booster is salvaged and reused. The mammoth booster rockets alone consume anywhere between 70-80% of the total Budget and are hence immensely valuable. None of the components are left to waste if it can be reused.

rishivashista13

Country flag
This is only a Guess but... in reference only earlier question, the booster rockets are perhaps salvaged by ISRO. Remember at that velocity the craft has immense momentum And in that few seconds the craft travels several kilometres under its own momentum while the boosters are seperated. The gap is probably to avoid damage to the separating from the exhaust blast of the second stage engine. So at the time of the firing, the boosters are safely out of the way. Then when they fall back into the ocean (parachutes can be deployed to break the fall) they can be salvaged with minimal damage and reused.

NASA does this too with their boosters.

View attachment 16512

View attachment 16514
View attachment 16515
Parachutes are deployed after booster seperation and they fall back into the ocean where the booster is salvaged and reused. The mammoth booster rockets alone consume anywhere between 70-80% of the total Budget and are hence immensely valuable. None of the components are left to waste if it can be reused.
Is these S 200 boosters of GSLV mk 3 are also recovered , and will be reused in future ?

Gaurav Ranwa

Country flag
After S 200 separation , no second stage ignition ?? No thrust for some seconds ? Why ?

The second stage engine ignition takes place before the separation of s200 so during the separation seen in the video the second stage engines are already alive and kicking but the ignition is not visible due to large distance between the camera and the rocket

Krusty

Country flag
Is these S 200 boosters of GSLV mk 3 are also recovered , and will be reused in future ?

Scroll up few posts. I have asked the exact same question:) Till someone confirms, your Guess is as good as mine. That GAP you refer to is also for stopping multiple actions happening in quick succession which is frankly unnecessary. There is no need to fire the second stage so quickly anyway. Let me search for ISRO booster recovery and see what I can find.

Edit: ISRO doesn't salvage booster. The question of why is beyond me

https://www.quora.com/Does-the-ISRO...aunch-vehicles-after-they-release-a-satellite

rishivashista13

Country flag
The second stage engine ignition takes place before the separation of s200 so during the separation seen in the video the second stage engines are already alive and kicking but the ignition is not visible due to large distance between the camera and the rocket
Ok , second stage is already ignited before S 200 separation .
But as seen in video there is no smoke trail visible after solid fuel boosters separation .

Does that mean ki liquid fuel rocket engine produces no smoke compared to solid fuel engines ??

shiphone

Country flag
it's too funny watching some idiot 'talking BS' so Seriously... LOL...

------------------------------------
but, dear...you have watched the live broadcast of the launch and you can find the record on youtube. more importantly , such question has been discussed a few pages back...

the time line of the GSLV mk3 Launch...
201700jirpxfkqsfll4r48.jpg

well explained even earlier in ISRO official brochure...

GSLV mk3 is a three stage LV...the S200 booster is actually the first stage, the L110 stage ignited at 114.9S when already in the air ,and both solid and liquid engines worked Together for another 26 seconds. basicly the thrust solid rocket engine is not adjustable, so near the end of burning period of S200, the thrust might declined and the Liquid engine joined in the show not only for the compensation for declining thrust but also helping adjusting the total thrust flexibly as the designed thrust curve request...

-------------

BTW, LM-5 is a 879 tons rocket with GTO ability : 14 tons.'

so called
Make no mistake, I have no doubt the next logical step for ISRO is to modify the GSLV with a taller core stage (more payload volume) with the same booster which will enable the rocket to carry far higher payloads than what GSLV is capable now. It will then be on par or even exceed LM5s capabilities given the potential of the S200 boosters.
is another laughable BS...

GSLV mk3 weights 640 tones , 4 tons GTO... in the future ,if the SC-160 replaces the L-110, the new varient might weight around 700 tons, with 6 Tons GTO payload. .. in LM-2/3 LV family , the LM-3C can eject 3.8 tons to GTO with 345 tons mass only...

actually the hope for better efficiency of future indian LV is not on the S200/S250 solid rocket booster but something like the "Common Booster Cores " tech on Delta IV Heavy.. of course with Liquid rocket engine stages

again...on the PPT (from BR)...lol...
GTO 16.3 tons....wow....but it seems to be a 1200+ tons Giant

Last edited:

Krusty

Country flag
Ok , second stage is already ignited before S 200 separation .
But as seen in video there is no smoke trail visible after solid fuel boosters separation .

Does that mean ki liquid fuel rocket engine produces no smoke compared to solid fuel engines ??

If you are talking solely about the exhaust plume, it mainly depends on two factors, fuel type(engine type) and atmospheric condition.
I'll try to be as short as possible

Fuel:
Solid Fuel. The main type of booster rockets. Easy to manufacture and extremely powerful. They use an oxidizer and fuel mixed in an epoxy. This produces a very noticeable, white, and toxic cloud. This cloud and trail will always be produced no matter the weather and atmosphere.

RP-1 Kerosene. Just highly refined kerosene. It gets mixed with liquid oxygen. Under stable weather conditions, this one will NOT leave an exhaust plume. There will be periods where it will leave no trail, then one, and then none, depending on the layers it goes through.

Liquid Hydrogen. This one combines with the oxidizer, liquid oxygen, to make mostly H2O in the form of water vapor, which is your average everyday cloud. There are also small amounts of H2O2, hydrogen peroxide, produced in that as well. If it is very dry out, there may not be a visible trail. If it's humid, you will see it.

Atmospheric Stability. A stable atmosphere will be characterized by subsidence. Areas of subsidence (usually referred to as a High or high pressure) are layers of sinking, warming, drying air. This will suppress most cloud formation. When the RP-1 fueled vehicles climb through it, the water in the exhaust plume will not condense, thus, no trail. If the launch vehicle travels through a moist layer, a trail will appear in that layer only. The solid rockets will always leave a trail, and the liquid hydrogen ones usually have a trail. In Sriharikota, the weather and atmosphere is such that all launches will exhibit an exhaust plume through most of their flight due to the hot and humid air that is present all season

TLDR: solid rockets always have a trail, LH2 usually have a trail, and RP-1 may or may not have a trail, last 2 weather dependent.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Story of the Week
Enhanced use of Space based Applications in Governance and Development- Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh State organised a State Meet on “Promoting Space Technology based Tools and Applications in Governance and Development” on April 24, 2017 in Bhopal. Potential areas of applications, prepared jointly by the line Departments, Department of Science & Technology, GoMP and ISRO/ Department of Space covering 20 departments of MP, were presented during the State Meet. About 300 delegates across Ministries/Departments, 51 Districts and 25 Central Government Organisations participated in this State Meet including Additional Chief Secretaries, Principal Secretaries, Secretaries, Collectors and Deputy Secretaries to Government of Madhya Pradesh. Chairman ISRO / Secretary, Department of Space, GoI and Chief Secretary, GoMP addressed the Meet during the inaugural session.
Shri Basant Pratap Singh, Chief Secretary, GoMP, in his opening remark, mentioned that space science has a major role to play in good governance and development in Madhya Pradesh. Shri Mohammad Suleman, Principal Secretary, S&T, GoMP informed about the areas where space technology is being used by the departments of the state and emphasized that there is an urgent need to encourage space technology in newer areas of agriculture, livelihood, education, health and public security. Shri Kiran Kumar, Chairman, ISRO in his key note address, appreciated the steps taken by Madhya Pradesh State in utilising the Space Technology and further emphasised on many new areas of potential implementation for developmental activities.
Two parallel sessions on four thematic areas related to (i) Developmental Planning; (ii) Agriculture & Livelihood; (iii) Education & Health and (iv) Public Security were organized. A series of Technical presentations on possible areas of interventions for Madhya Pradesh were held with active participation of the State functionaries. Dr P.G. Diwakar, chaired the concluding session, wherein salient outcome of each themes were presented by the theme chairs with a clear focus on the specific areas of use of space technology.
As a conclusion, it was recommended to constitute joint Working Groups (WGs) to facilitate close interactions with the line Departments for constant follow-up of the project activities, exploring newer space based applications, and implement the same, keeping in view the Capacity Building requirements.
Till now, 14 States have conducted similar Meets which were attended by senior dignitaries and officials of the State. These states are Haryana, Bihar, Uttarakhand, Mizoram, Nagaland, Rajasthan, Punjab, Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Assam and Madhya Pradesh. Remaining States have worked out the plans to conduct such Meets.
For full proceeding of M P State Meet, click here.

Story of the Week - Archive
Jun 05, 2017 : Enhanced use of Space based Applications in Governance and Development- Madhya Pradesh
May 22, 2017 : National Database for Emergency Management (NDEM) Version 3.0 Released
May 15, 2017 : Observing Reservoir and River Water Levels from Satellite Altimetry
May 08, 2017 : NARL MST Radar Observations Help Resolve Ionospheric Echoing Riddle
Apr 24, 2017 : ISRO Develops "Solar Calculator" Android App
Apr 17, 2017 : Satish Dhawan Wind Tunnel Complex Commissioned at VSSC
Apr 10, 2017 : ISRO Organises Smart India Hackathon-2017 Grand Finale

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles