ISRO General News and Updates

Gessler

Country flag
There are so much more tidbits in that presentation including building a methane engine,

or how LVM3 (with 4T to GTO) can be modified by adding SCE-200 Semicryo and an extra Cryo stage to make a 4 Stage HLV (with 10T in orbit)

Or how the Human rate 2 stage rocket (SC500 [5*SCE200] + CE25 ) can be upgraded with more liquid boosters (based on SCE200) to put up, even more, heavier spacecraft into orbit (or possibly give earth escape velocity for a future manned mars mission :D)

So I think we need to think more than just ULV now , ISRO seems to have put up a lot more cards on the table, and I am particularly excited about propulsively retrieving stages like SpaceX, ISRO is not putting all it's eggs in one basket (winged reusability) which is good.
Stop...please stop. I can only get so hard.

@Indx TechStyle Need your inputs as well bro.

lupgain

Country flag
ISRO Bags Deal To Launch 68 Foreign Satellites, 12 Of Them From US in 2017

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
It's a damn shame that UK, which doesn't even have an active space program has more satellites in orbit than India?? And how many of them were launched onboard ISRO rockets?
Latest I remember DMC3 (heaviest ever mission of PSLV) which launched 5 UK satellites (may be more in additional launches) but biggest one of them (an imager) was leased to China ( or India indirectly launched a satellite for China! LOL:rofl:).
But we will overtake UK in few months given our improved and expanding launch frequency.:)
Stop...please stop. I can only get so hard.

@Indx TechStyle Need your inputs as well bro.
I think I got something about ULV's development in a PDF File Report by ISRO. I will post if find it again.
There has been many heavy and super heavy vehicle concepts in study since 2010.
A concept of ISRO heavy lift launch vehicle with at least 100 tonnes to LEO in long term plan.
But @Anupu is getting too optimistic who thinks that just 5 times capacity of LVM3 can be used for a manned Mars mission (case is different that if Anup doesn't want to bring em back and let die on the Mars.:p)
or how LVM3 (with 4T to GTO) can be modified by adding SCE-200 Semicryo and an extra Cryo stage to make a 4 Stage HLV (with 10T in orbit)
Here's one already in study.

http://www.vssc.gov.in/VSSC_V4/index.php/technology/heavy-lift-launch-vehicles
10 tonnes to GTO means 20-25 tonnes to LEO.
But will take nearly a decade for sure.
Designs of ULV, HLV or Super HLVs are being planned over the platform of HLVs as of now.
Or how the Human rate 2 stage rocket (SC500 [5*SCE200] + CE25 ) can be upgraded with more liquid boosters (based on SCE200) to put up, even more, heavier spacecraft into orbit (or possibly give earth escape velocity for a future manned mars mission :D)
If it was possible, North Korea could have flags on Pluto.
Adding more boosters doesn't increase the capacity of rocket.
You will have to modify entire geometry and increase the size of rocket.
For Moon Landing (manned), we need payload capacity between 100 to 170 tonnes to LEO.
So, don't jump too early, it'll take decades.
So I think we need to think more than just ULV now , ISRO seems to have put up a lot more cards on the table, and I am particularly excited about propulsively retrieving stages like SpaceX, ISRO is not putting all it's eggs in one basket (winged reusability) which is good.
Other one is satellite refuelling and space station and asteroid landers like Rosetta, I mentioned earlier in the thread.:peace:
And I didn't give a suggestion, I either quoted ISRO itself or links quoting ISRO.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I was trying to read the slides by busting my eyes. Some information and guess work is as follows:-

Basically the lecture is on theme that with Semi Cryo engine being achieved next year, we have all the building blocks of heavy engines. The possible configuration being discusse are variants of GSLV Mark-3. GSLV Mark-3 will itself carry 4tons (?) to GTO. Its further variant would be modified first stage which will consist of Single SC200 as core stage and two enhanced solid booster S250 as strap ons. The Upper stage will remain as Cryo Engine CE20/C27. This rocket may have a launch capacity to GTO of 6tons (?). Further modification will be to add a Cryo stage in middle consisting of two CE20/C27 engines. This rocket may have a launch capacity to GTO of 10tons (?).

The another line which will be pursued would be clustering 5 Semi Cryo 200 stages which is likely to happen/be tested around 2024 and will be called SC500. This HLV will consist of first stage of SC500 and CE20/C25 as upper stage. This rocket may have a launch capacity to GTO of 6tons (?).Its further variant would be modified first stage which will consist of clustered SC500 as core stage and two enhanced solid booster S250 as strap ons. The Upper stage will remain as Cryo Engine CE20/C25. This rocket may have a launch capacity to GTO of 8tons (?). Further modification will be modified first stage which will consist of clustered SC500 as core stage and four clustered SC500 as strap ons. This rocket may have a launch capacity to GTO of 12tons (?).

While Simultaneously ION engines are being pursued for satellites which will reduce their weight by half. So the heavy variety of Indian HLV would be able to launch a satellite that would equivalent to 24 tons satellite of today (apart from natural progression and sophistication of electronics).

Anupu

Country flag
Latest I remember DMC3 (heaviest ever mission of PSLV) which launched 5 UK satellites (may be more in additional launches) but biggest one of them (an imager) was leased to China ( or India indirectly launched a satellite for China! LOL:rofl:).
But we will overtake UK in few months given our improved and expanding launch frequency.:)

I think I got something about ULV's development in a PDF File Report by ISRO. I will post if find it again.
There has been many heavy and super heavy vehicle concepts in study since 2010.
A concept of ISRO heavy lift launch vehicle with at least 100 tonnes to LEO in long term plan.
But @Anupu is getting too optimistic who thinks that just 5 times capacity of LVM3 can be used for a manned Mars mission (case is different that if Anup doesn't want to bring em back and let die on the Mars.:p)

Here's one already in study.

http://www.vssc.gov.in/VSSC_V4/index.php/technology/heavy-lift-launch-vehicles
10 tonnes to GTO means 20-25 tonnes to LEO.
But will take nearly a decade for sure.
Designs of ULV, HLV or Super HLVs are being planned over the platform of HLVs as of now.

If it was possible, North Korea could have flags on Pluto.
Adding more boosters doesn't increase the capacity of rocket.
You will have to modify entire geometry and increase the size of rocket.
For Moon Landing (manned), we need payload capacity between 100 to 170 tonnes to LEO.
So, don't jump too early, it'll take decades.

Other one is satellite refuelling and space station and asteroid landers like Rosetta, I mentioned earlier in the thread.:peace:
And I didn't give a suggestion, I either quoted ISRO itself or links quoting ISRO.
Bhai 15T GTO hai us rocket ka, we would need a more powerful stage I guess, but even falcon heavy is 22 T if this rocket is made by around 2024-2030, we could at least build a space station. Moreover, even the HLV design could basically be the extension of the human-rated vehicle

SC460 could be 4 SCE 200 I think and SC800 is then 8 SCE-200 fused together.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Bhai 15T GTO hai us rocket ka, we would need a more powerful stage I guess, but even falcon heavy is 22 T if this rocket is made by around 2024-2030, we could at least build a space station. Moreover, even the HLV design could basically be the extension of the human-rated vehicle

SC460 could be 4 SCE 200 I think and SC800 is then 8 SCE-200 fused together.
Well, my point was about manned Mars Mission.
For Human Spaceflight, we can even conduct with GSLV Mk3.
But for manned extra terrestrial missions, HLVs are must.

Anupu

Country flag
Well, my point was about manned Mars Mission.
For Human Spaceflight, we can even conduct with GSLV Mk3.
But for manned extra terrestrial missions, HLVs are must.
OR we could build a Martian movie style Hermes Spacecraft/Space station. It would be reusable.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
About ISRO (Knowledge Base):
Worth Reading:).

Spacecraft
Missions

Launch
Missions

* Excluding
Scramjet-TD & RLV-TD

Student
Satellites

Re-entry
Missions

Foreign
Satellites

** of 21 Countries
India decided to go to space when Indian National Committee for Space Research (INCOSPAR) was set up by the Government of India in 1962. With the visionary Dr Vikram Sarabhai at its helm, INCOSPAR set up the Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station (TERLS) in Thiruvananthapuram for upper atmospheric research.
Indian Space Research Organisation, formed in 1969, superseded the erstwhile INCOSPAR. Vikram Sarabhai, having identified the role and importance of space technology in a Nation's development, provided ISRO the necessary direction to function as an agent of development. ISRO then embarked on its mission to provide the Nation space based services and to develop the technologies to achieve the same independently.
Throughout the years, ISRO has upheld its mission of bringing space to the service of the common man, to the service of the Nation. In the process, it has become one of the six largest space agencies in the world. ISRO maintains one of the largest fleet of communication satellites (INSAT) and remote sensing (IRS) satellites, that cater to the ever growing demand for fast and reliable communication and earth observation respectively. ISRO develops and delivers application specific satellite products and tools to the Nation: broadcasts, communications, weather forecasts, disaster management tools, Geographic Information Systems, cartography, navigation, telemedicine, dedicated distance education satellites being some of them.
To achieve complete self reliance in terms of these applications, it was essential to develop cost efficient and reliable launch systems, which took shape in the form of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV). The famed PSLV went on to become a favoured carrier for satellites of various countries due to its reliability and cost efficiency, promoting unprecedented international collaboration. The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) was developed keeping in mind the heavier and more demanding Geosynchronous communication satellites.
Apart from technological capability, ISRO has also contributed to science and science education in the country. Various dedicated research centres and autonomous institutions for remote sensing, astronomy and astrophysics, atmospheric sciences and space sciences in general function under the aegis of Department of Space. ISRO's own Lunar and interplanetary missions along with other scientific projects encourage and promote science education, apart from providing valuable data to the scientific community which in turn enriches science.
Future readiness is the key to maintaining an edge in technology and ISRO endeavours to optimise and enhance its technologies as the needs and ambitions of the country evolve. Thus, ISRO is moving forward with the development of heavy lift launchers, human spaceflight projects, reusable launch vehicles, semi-cryogenic engines, single and two stage to orbit (SSTO and TSTO) vehicles, development and use of composite materials for space applications etc.
Know more about ISRO's genesis
About ISRO

Dr Sarabhai and Dr Kalam. A photograph from the early stages of the Indian space programme
Telemedicine. Applications of space technology reaching far-flung corners of the country
Cryogenic Upper Stage of GSLV. Self reliance in critical technologies
Indian sub-continent as seen by Mars Orbiter Mission spacecraft during its geocentric phase

hardip

HATS OF WORKED..
BY

ISRO..

also best I'm comparison of Chinese space agency..
(after Chinese satellite Rocket failed)

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Looking forward to the day when Geo-tagging of residential and commercial establishments mandatorily mapped based on NAVIC.

It will create whole new level of data mapping starting from easier home deliveries to visual mapping of monetary flow within the country and much much more.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles