ISRO General News and Updates

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I don't think so it would have been a good idea to invest in ULV or HLV now... Specially since reusability should be the focus, the first power to make space access cheap will have much more lasting space exploration regradless of who goes where first.

NASA went to moon but the way they went there was so expensive that since last 30 years they have been planning another such exploration. ISRO was wiser to choose cost of access as it's goal. I am sure they must be giving a hard look at ULV design to insure reusability to further reduce cost. Musk has changed the game.
:crazy:
Well, AFAIK, investing in ULV or HLV won't affect RLV anyhow. ISRO has enough budget.
Plus, RLV won't be in service before 2030 and won't even be heavy. So, when'll you start making heavy rockets? 2050?
And keep paying entire profit earned from RLV to ESA cuz you can't launch heavy payloads.(And forget future space missions, they would be dead).
RLV is for cutting down launch cost of light satellites. ULV and HLV will decide entire of our deep space exploration, human spaceflightheavy satellite launch market which makes way more revenue.
Moreover, our ULV and HLV will obviously be cheaper.
Only a stupid will kill space program just for reducing cost in light satellite launches, even then, when you have a competitor like SpaceX. Investing in RLVs but not Next Generation launchers is a suicide move completely. ISRO is not a only commercial organization. It has to explore and possibly exploit space in future for national interests and pride.

No offense intended but never expected a guy like you will talk like this just in try to argue.:troll:

Anupu

Country flag
Well, AFAIK, investing in ULV or HLV won't affect RLV anyhow. ISRO has enough budget.
Plus, RLV won't be in service before 2030 and won't even be heavy. So, when'll you start making heavy rockets? 2050?
And keep paying entire profit earned from RLV to ESA cuz you can't launch heavy payloads.(And forget future space missions, they would be dead).
RLV is for cutting down launch cost of light satellites. ULV and HLV will decide entire of our deep space exploration, human spaceflightheavy satellite launch market which makes way more revenue.
Moreover, our ULV and HLV will obviously be cheaper.
Only a stupid will kill space program just for reducing cost in light satellite launches, even then, when you have a competitor like SpaceX. Investing in RLVs but not Next Generation launchers is a suicide move completely. ISRO is not a only commercial organization. It has to explore and possibly exploit space in future for national interests and pride.

No offense intended but never expected a guy like you will talk like this just in try to argue.:troll:
No you got me wrong. Bhai mere, I would be the last person to kill the space program. I didn't say we should not develop ULV or HLV. I said I am kind of happy we couldn't build it on time. ULV and HLV were basically non-reusable. If we had fixed the design and begin building them by now, ISRO couldn't have thought of reusability. If ISRO incorporates into their design reusability like the Falcon rockets, wouldn't it be interesting, and I think they are on it.
look at this
In addition, ISRO was “very seriously” thinking of retrieving and reusing the core boosters of the GSLV and GSLV Mk-III in a SpaceX-like manner, according to him. The next generation Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle could also be designed with such reuse in mind.
Bhai mere you should have at-least read it like I intended. I must really become more articulate.

Akask kumar

No you got me wrong. Bhai mere, I would be the last person to kill the space program. I didn't say we should not develop ULV or HLV. I said I am kind of happy we couldn't build it on time. ULV and HLV were basically non-reusable. If we had fixed the design and begin building them by now, ISRO couldn't have thought of reusability. If ISRO incorporates into their design reusability like the Falcon rockets, wouldn't it be interesting, and I think they are on it.
look at this

Bhai mere you should have at-least read it like I intended. I must really become more articulate.
mat ro munna !! dont be upset,, sometime ppl take your views opposite.. happens on forum..

ya like u said spacex changed the world view in terms of reusability of core module/phase 1 module..
they successfully retrieved their phas1 part but they have not demonstrated whether they can reuse it as soon as they retrieve that part.. They are conducting test in this regard and in few years they will achieve this also,,

yes our RLV is fully reusable but its for lighter load.. in future for heavy load we are going to use ULV n HLV if we incorporate reusability here then we will save more money and like u said ,We are glad the design of ULV n HLV hasnt been finalised and SpaceX demonstration of reusability in heavy loads will/have forced our scientist to review their desings..

when you have a competitor like SpaceX. Investing in RLVs but not Next Generation launchers is a suicide move completely. ISRO is not a only commercial organization. It has to explore and possibly exploit space in future for national interests and pride.
sapce X is currently transorming Falcon rocket to super heavy flacon rocket capable of 50+ tonne to GTO.. i think their falcon is pretty much advanced (just 2 stages) and i read somewhere that Elon musk has plan for reusable space-crafts.. Space X is mainly targetted to Mars colonisation.. like China is mainly focused on moon mining ...
ISRO has palns for moon.mars ,venus n more..good for science and research

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
look at this
Sorry if offended but there's no reason to scrap ULV and HLV projects. I have read your article but even it is not suggesting ISRO to cut down investments on ULV and HLV for RLV.:confused1:
AFA spaceX is concerned, I've told you before, ISRO isn't a mere commercial organization like SpaceX.
We will keep our space launch service low priced and competitives but if you want this to be end to end with SpaceX, forget the space program.
Reusable vehicle banate rahiyo, missions ko thenga.
What do you think will be advantage of such high profit.
SpaceX works so that Elon Musk makes money, ISRO works for interests for 1.3 billion Indians. Commercial space launch is like a part time job, it isn't that necessity what you are saying.
Problem is that you guys are hoping ISRO to fully compete as a commercial satellite launcher beating every other in world but that will kill our space exploration program completely.
We would be making money out of satellite launches but won't be exploring for science, result dependent on others in long term. We are a country guys, not a private company like space X who works just for profit.

I hope you understand. Because role of SpaceX and ISRO is different.
sapce X is currently transorming Falcon rocket to super heavy flacon rocket capable of 50+ tonne to GTO.. i think their falcon is pretty much advanced (just 2 stages) and i read somewhere that Elon musk has plan for reusable space-crafts.. Space X is mainly targetted to Mars colonisation.. like China is mainly focused on moon mining ...
ISRO has palns for moon.mars ,venus n more..good for science and research
I can not understand why you guys are comparing a commercial space agency with National Ones?
China will make colonies, extract resources for it's own national assets. Same goes for Japan, India, US or other countries.
But the only aim of space X is tourism. They won't be exploring Mars for resources or research.
They won't be searching life or mapping planets. They'll take most accesible information simply from NASA.
As far as Falcon Super Heavy is concerned, I don't think a private company at this stage today can launch a super heavy rocket in next 10 years but won't speak much, they've support of NASA.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO to launch two new meteorological satellites next month
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch two new meteorological satellites next month.
Speaking at the valedictory function of a Science Seminar in Dharwad on Sunday, ISRO Chairman A S Kiran Kumar said the launch would further improve weather forecast in the country.
He said weather changes that were observed every half an hour earlier would now improve to every 15 minutes observation.
This would provide good quality atmospheric profiles over Indian landmass and adjoining areas, he added.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Story of the Week - Indian Space Research Organization
ISRO Trains ITI Students - A new initiative towards supporting ‘Skill India’

ISRO is supporting and nurturing academic interests of students. A large number of under graduate and post graduate Engineering students come to ISRO for doing various projects. However, the students of Industrial Training Institutes (ITI) do not get such ample opportunities. Towards providing such an opportunity to ITI students, the Mechanical Engineering Systems Area (MESA) of ISRO’s Space Application Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad took a new initiative to impart training to ITI students and thus supporting ‘Skill India’.
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed between the Directorate of Employment & Training (DET), Labour and Employment Department, Government of Gujarat, Gandhinagar and SAC, for imparting in-plant training to students from ITI at SAC. The prime objective of the training was to give exposure to the students, and improve their employability.
Subsequently, students from ITI-Sarkhej (10 Students-Fitter Trade) and ITI Kubernagar (20 students – 10 machinists and 10 draughtsmen mechanical), both located in Ahmedabad, were trained. All the students were from 4th semester. The training was conducted from June 01 to June 30, 2016.
The training programme was formulated after studying ITI curriculum carefully. A balanced approach of theory and practicals was adopted. Lectures were conducted in the morning session, and the students were taken to various facilities for practicals in the afternoon session. Over 35 technical subjects, including sessions on personality development and tips on facing interview were covered during this period. Introduction to satellite Technology, Importance of Engineering Mechanics, Lathe and Milling tools & Coolant Properties, Welding, Sheet Metal Processes, Tapping and Threading, Smart Materials, Drawing for Development, Basic Workshop Practice, Fundamentals of Engineering Mechanics, Non-Conventional Machining Processes, etc., were some of the subjects covered.
All the students attending the training programme were awarded a certificate. It is planned to conduct this one-month training every year in the month of June, specifically for the ITI students, here after.

MOU signed between DET, Govt. of Gujarat,

Gandhinagar and SAC, ISRO Ahmedabad

Shri Tapan Misra, Director SAC,

interacting with Students

Glimpse of Theory and Practical Sessions

Shri D K Das, Associate Director, SAC awarding the certificates to Students
Story of the Week - Archive
Aug 08, 2016 : ISRO Trains ITI Students - A new initiative towards supporting ‘Skill India’
Aug 01, 2016 : Antarctica Ground Station for Earth Observation Satellites (AGEOS)
Jul 25, 2016 : ISRO's Participation in Antarctic Expedition
Jul 18, 2016 : Space-based Distance Learning for ITIs
Jul 09, 2016 : MOU Signed Between ISRO and MoRD for geo-tagging the assets of MGNREGA
Jul 04, 2016 : Desertification and Land Degradation Atlas released
Jun 27, 2016 : PSLV Upper Stage Engines (PS4) successfully restarted in space

Anupu

Country flag
Sorry if offended but there's no reason to scrap ULV and HLV projects. I have read your article but even it is not suggesting ISRO to cut down investments on ULV and HLV for RLV.:confused1:
AFA spaceX is concerned, I've told you before, ISRO isn't a mere commercial organization like SpaceX.
We will keep our space launch service low priced and competitives but if you want this to be end to end with SpaceX, forget the space program.
Reusable vehicle banate rahiyo, missions ko thenga.
What do you think will be advantage of such high profit.
SpaceX works so that Elon Musk makes money, ISRO works for interests for 1.3 billion Indians. Commercial space launch is like a part time job, it isn't that necessity what you are saying.
Problem is that you guys are hoping ISRO to fully compete as a commercial satellite launcher beating every other in world but that will kill our space exploration program completely.
We would be making money out of satellite launches but won't be exploring for science, result dependent on others in long term. We are a country guys, not a private company like space X who works just for profit.

I hope you understand. Because role of SpaceX and ISRO is different.

I can not understand why you guys are comparing a commercial space agency with National Ones?
China will make colonies, extract resources for it's own national assets. Same goes for Japan, India, US or other countries.
But the only aim of space X is tourism. They won't be exploring Mars for resources or research.
They won't be searching life or mapping planets. They'll take most accesible information simply from NASA.
As far as Falcon Super Heavy is concerned, I don't think a private company at this stage today can launch a super heavy rocket in next 10 years but won't speak much, they've support of NASA.
Arey devta, I am not asking to cut investments on HLV . Mein yeh nahi keh raha:
1. HLV mat banaow,
2. ya usme paisa mat lagaow,
3. ya paisa kam lagaow.

Mein yeh keh raha hoon ki ISRO ab HLV ko reusable bana sakti hai. Jo acchi baat hai, islye agar HLV mein delay hui abhi tak toh bhi koi problem nahi. RLV will remain separate as it's scramjet design will be amazing in the future for a SSTO. par agar HLV bhi phalcon heavy ki tarah reusable ho, toh it will become even cheaper.
US article mein yehi toh likha hai
In addition, ISRO was “very seriously” thinking of retrieving and reusing the core boosters of the GSLV and GSLV Mk-III in a SpaceX-like manner, according to him. The next generation Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle could also be designed with such reuse in mind.
I was replying to this:
I remember that 4-5 years ago, we used to be suggested that UMLV will take first flight in 2020.
We updated it too wikipedia too which was deleted later because of copyright issue.
But as we know, GSLV Mk3 was delayed for years after that. Time has changed, I guess it is nearly a decade away. HLV (likely to be based on ULV), may be started (development) just after ULV. May be for space station.
SHLVs are for long term.
Toh mein yeh keh raha hoon, koi baat nahi agar ULV or HLV delay ho gaye, at least they will now be more cost effective. Also if our launches are cheaper than only we can see a large scale colonization of moon or mars, which USA can do if Falcon rockets become a reality.

Imagine if GSLV MKIII became partially reusable, it will reduce the launch cost even more down, allowing ISRO to build better payloads, as there will be more money for that. The number of launches will also increase, in the future reusability will be helpful. and HLV is still away so we have time to make it reusable.

@Akask kumar tu toh samjha kum se kum.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Arey devta, I am not asking to cut investments on HLV . Mein yeh nahi keh raha:
1. HLV mat banaow,
2. ya usme paisa mat lagaow,
3. ya paisa kam lagaow.

Mein yeh keh raha hoon ki ISRO ab HLV ko reusable bana sakti hai. Jo acchi baat hai, islye agar HLV mein delay hui abhi tak toh bhi koi problem nahi. RLV will remain separate as it's scramjet design will be amazing in the future for a SSTO. par agar HLV bhi phalcon heavy ki tarah reusable ho, toh it will become even cheaper.
US article mein yehi toh likha hai

I was replying to this:

Toh mein yeh keh raha hoon, koi baat nahi agar ULV or HLV delay ho gaye, at least they will now be more cost effective. Also if our launches are cheaper than only we can see a large scale colonization of moon or mars, which USA can do if Falcon rockets become a reality.

Imagine if GSLV MKIII became partially reusable, it will reduce the launch cost even more down, allowing ISRO to build better payloads, as there will be more money for that. The number of launches will also increase, in the future reusability will be helpful. and HLV is still away so we have time to make it reusable.

@Akask kumar tu toh samjha kum se kum.
Achha an samajh main aaya kya kaha.
Toh
HLV and RLV have completely different designs.
HLV design can't be reusable. You will first have to make a light RLV, then, medium, and then, heavy.
We can have a reusable HLV only around 2035-40 at best.
Because current ULV and HLV is based on GSLV Mk3 which isn't reusable.
GSLV Mk3 and RLV are of different designs.
In brief:
RLV is a completely new and different technology which you are starting from scratch. You will make RLV by 2030 and will take then, at least 2-3 decades for HLV. Current rockets can't be modified.
I fear that you are not realizing that RLV will take more than a decade to be operational. Then, again a decade for HRLV. If you are thinking current rockets or projects can be modified. So, let me tell you they can't be.

Toh HLV ko reusable banaya toh pura design badalna padega.
Phir 2050 main udana.:D
Imagine if GSLV MKIII became partially reusable, it will reduce the launch cost even more down,
GSLV Mk3 can't be reusable but just like PSLV has way lower cost among rockets of it's class, GSLV Mk3 is cheaper than it's foreign counterparts and so will be ULV and HLV.
Even without reusability, India will remain a serious player. We can easily attain reusability to cut down cost further. Be patient till then.

Things what ISRO is testing today nowhere near actual vehicle. They are just putting small communication devices and models on sounding rockets.

Anupu

Country flag
Achha an samajh main aaya kya kaha.
Toh
HLV and RLV have completely different designs.
HLV design can't be reusable. You will first have to make a light RLV, then, medium, and then, heavy.
We can have a reusable HLV only around 2035-40 at best.
Because current ULV and HLV is based on GSLV Mk3 which isn't reusable.
GSLV Mk3 and RLV are of different designs.
In brief:
RLV is a completely new and different technology which you are starting from scratch. You will make RLV by 2030 and will take then, at least 2-3 decades for HLV. Current rockets can't be modified.
I fear that you are not realizing that RLV will take more than a decade to be operational. Then, again a decade for HRLV. If you are thinking current rockets or projects can be modified. So, let me tell you they can't be.

Toh HLV ko reusable banaya toh pura design badalna padega.
Phir 2050 main udana.:D

GSLV Mk3 can't be reusable but just like PSLV has way lower cost among rockets of it's class, GSLV Mk3 is cheaper than it's foreign counterparts and so will be ULV and HLV.
Even without reusability, India will remain a serious player. We can easily attain reusability to cut down cost further. Be patient till then.

Things what ISRO is testing today nowhere near actual vehicle. They are just putting small communication devices and models on sounding rockets.
Nahi itna bhi time nahi lagega, Phalcon series isiliye jaldi ban gayi, reusablity like that has it's limitations like it reduces the size of payload, but ISRO chahe toh bana sakti hai, infact they can build both a reusable and a expendable type HLV.

Dekh there are two different ways to reusability, we have a Falcon style rocket with lands vertically using retrothrusters other is apna air-breathing RLV.

Now engines of falcon are not different from a normal rocket,i.e, they are not scramjet or air-breathing.

They are liquid first stages that are re-fired to make descent. Matlab normal vikas engine se bhi yeh kaam ho sakta hai, but what we would need is added fins on the rocket surface, extra fuel and a landing gear. The engine should be capable of restarting after shutdown and rest is a control system.

HLV mein bhi first stage is a semi-cryo engine , and second stage is a cryo, both are liquid engines, so for a Falcon like landing you need to modify just the surface of a semi-cryo core-stage to add fin like air flow controls. In fact you can even bring down the second stage. We don't even need a barge like spaceX, apne andaman and nicobar islands are almost perfectly placed. :D

Last edited:

Akask kumar

Nahi itna bhi time nahi lagega, Phalcon series isiliye jaldi ban gayi, reusablity like that has it's limitations like it reduces the size of payload, but ISRO chahe toh bana sakti hai, infact they can build both a reusable and a expendable type HLV.

Dekh there are two different ways to reusability, we have a Falcon style rocket with lands vertically using retrothrusters other is apna air-breathing RLV.

Now engines of falcon are not different from a normal rocket,i.e, they are not scramjet or air-breathing.

They are liquid first stages that are re-fired to make descent. Matlab normal vikas engine se bhi yeh kaam ho sakta hai, but what we would need is added fins on the rocket surface, extra fuel and a landing gear. The engine should be capable of restarting after shutdown and rest is a control system.

HLV mein bhi first stage is a semi-cryo engine , and second stage is a cryo, both are liquid engines, so for a Falcon like landing you need to modify just the surface of a semi-cryo core-stage to add fin like air flow controls. In fact you can even bring down the second stage. We don't even need a barge like spaceX, apne andaman and nicobar islands are almost perfectly placed. :D
bhai !! you are taking this too far.. i will end this debate here because i know the perfect answer..

see SpaceX main motive is tourism in space and on mars.. their goal is to send people in the orbit and afterwards on mars ...there might be little science.but not that much..
in nutshell SpaceX is trying to build tourism complex once they develop 100% reliable rocket,crew module..tickets will open..people will line up .So to meet the demand they need frequent launches .. same vehicle has to be used over and over again to keep the COST PRICE DOWN.so comes the reusability..

Plus if u see , SpaceX lauches are heavy class.. and in future it will keep growing , so they needed bigger rocket ,such rocket are costly and if you have to launch them frequently price will keep mounting so they deviced their own reusable method just to keep price down .

if u compare this with ISRO .. though our lauches are growing but they are of small payload. in future our payload will grow little medium and heavy payload launches will be very minimum because there is no need for heavy lauches here..as ISRO has said -we wont be doing tourism ,just focusing on science..
and science mission rarely requires heavy payloads..

if we decide to build space station then only our payload will enter heavy class ,even though building space station requires limited lauches .

Reusable vehicles are used only in those areas where frequency of launches is high and growing..we will build RLV because our lighter load contracts are high and growing..

if falcon heavy is of 1000 rs and by reusablity if u are saving 200 rs -- net cost of rocket is 800..
Gslv Mk3 is medium class vehicle should be of 400 Rs.. in 1000 rs u can launch almost 3 of them ..why bother about reusing??
suppose by reusability u save 100 rs on GSLV but u are doing just 2 lauches a year .. saving 200 rs only .. whats the point of reusbility ?? unles there were 10 lauches per year then we cud hav saved 1000 rs..

Plus addng reuablity module to GSLV -- its price will be higher than 400rs..

i hope i am clear..

@Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag

But for that you first need experience of making and fully operating an RLV.
Making a HRLV will have further hurdles.
And I told you before,
Itna sb vehicle main karte rahe, mission kab honge?
That's my point from start. You're thinking of too far which can only happen in 20-25 years. We can't focus ourselves entirely on that.

Prashant12

Country flag
‘Chandrayaan-II to be almost fully indigenous’

Nagpur: Indian Space and Research Organization's (ISRO) Chandrayaan-II mission will be almost fully indigenous project and its launch, though delayed, is expected to be by 2017 end or 2018 beginning. Earlier, the mission was planned in association with Russian Space Agency ROSCOSMOS.

This information was revealed by Suresh Naik, former group director at ISRO, while speaking to TOI on Monday. Naik was in the city for the 10the Late Prof VG Bhide memorial lecture at the Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT) titled 'Chandrayaan, Mangalyaan and beyond'.

In contrast to the Chandrayaan-I which crash-landed on the moon, Chandrayaan-II will have soft landing on the moon and it will deploy a rover there. The rover would collect samples from the moon, process it in the inbuilt laboratory and will transfer the data to earth through orbiter. "Chandrayaan-II is a much advanced version. It is being completely designed and developed by ISRO. It is made of three components — an orbiter, a lander and rover configuration. It is expected to be launched by 2017 end using GSLV-Mk II," Naik said. India will get some minor support from the USA, he added.

"With this mission, India takes a shot at converting fiction into reality. Three decades from now, ISRO plans to set up a human base on the moon and also try to produce pollution-free electricity by mining helium-3 which is abundantly available there," Naik said, adding to get to the moon under the 'man mission' and have a habitation there would require a lot of technological development.

"An Indian astronaut training facility should form an integral part of the missions. By this year end, ISRO is also planning to launch satellites developed by students. As part of this, the premier space research organization has cleared a project by students of College of Engineering, Pune, for developing micro-satellites using photonic propulsion instead of conventional chemical propulsions," Naik said. He also informed that ISRO is also working towards developing a spacecraft — Aditya — by 2020 which will study the corona of the sun.

"Apart from these activities, other plans of launching various communication, remote sensing satellites and GSATs will continue," added Naik.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ost-fully-indigenous/articleshow/53606793.cms

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
India to Provide Cost Incentives to Use Homemade Version of GPS
According to official sources, India's government is exploring several options, including reduced charges for air navigation services.
The Indian government may soon announce incentives to airline operators for installing the locally developed Aided Geo Augmented Navigation system (GAGAN). The aviation ministry, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) and the Airports Authority of India are expected to meet the airlines soon to discuss the matter.
GAGAN is intended to provide accurate navigation services over the Bay of Bengal, Southeast Asia, the Indian Ocean, the Middle East and part of Africa. Gagan works by augmenting and relaying data from GPS satellites with the help of two augmentation satellites and 15 earth-based reference stations. It corrects any anomalies in the position data and gives accurate routes, landing guidance and time-saving information to the pilots. Gagan also fills a vital gap between the coverage areas of the EU's "European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service" (EGNOS) and Japan's "Multi-functional Satellite Augmentation System" (MSAS).
When it launched the system in July 2015, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) claimed "GAGAN is better than any GPS as it ensures that at any given point in time, the measurements are reliable." However, the flight operators seem to be reluctant to take to the indigenous technology, forcing the government to have to second-guess its decision to make it mandatory for all aircraft flying in Indian airspace to install GAGAN receivers starting from April 1, 2019. Later, the date was revised to May 2019. However, operators have yet to negotiate with aircraft makers the installation of GAGAN receivers on board the 660 new planes which they have ordered. These include narrow-body, wide-body and small ATR turboprop planes that would start arriving next year.
Currently, Indian carriers use a GPS-based air navigation system that requires GPS-GNSS (global positioning system and global navigation satellite system) receivers for air navigation and operational use such as landing, take-off and general flight operations.
Launched in July 2015, the 77.4 mln rupiah GPS Aided Geo Augmented Navigation system is being jointly developed by the Airports Authority of India and the Indian Space Research Organisztion.
Tags:
Aided Geo Augmented Navigation system (GAGAN), GPS,
India

sorcerer

Country flag
IDN TAKE: Why The Upcoming GSLV Mk 2 Launch Is Significant For India

ISRO's GSLV Mk-2 Launch Vehicle

Global communication satellite makers will be keenly looking at an Indian rocket launch later this month. The Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV) Mark II is expected make its first operational flight, taking a two tonne weather communication satellite into space on August 28. So far, ISRO has only launched experimental GSLV launchers to prove the technology to carry two tonne satellites into the geostationary transit orbit (GTO), where communication satellites are parked.
What Makes Satellites So Expensive?

Satellites are not cheap business. They cost a lot of money to design, construct, launch and monitor. Just how much money? If you have at least $290 Million Dollars US in your bank account, that money can go into making a satellite that can track and monitor hurricanes. Add about $100 Million Dollars more if you want a satellite that carries a missile-warning device.
Some of the factors that drive the cost of satellites are the equipment and materials used to build them. There are several other gadgets and equipment that have to be built into the satellite in order for it to perform its intended function. These can include computers, computer software and cameras.
Another factor that contributes to the expense associated with satellites is the cost of putting one into orbit. It is estimated that a single satellite launch can range in cost from a low of about $50 million to a high of about $400 million. Launching a space shuttle mission can easily cost $500 million dollars, although one mission is capable of carrying multiple satellites and send them into orbit.
Also to be considered in the cost of satellites is its maintenance. After getting one into orbit, it has to be monitored from a ground facility, which will require manpower.
Main Factors Determining Launch Costs

India's indigenous cryogenic engine undergoing tests at Liquid Propulsion Systems Center
It should be a straightforward and standard economic exercise to measure a demand curve and cost curves for launch vehicle and services:

• All launch vehicles are subsidized by Government of India
• The price charged to the government may not reflect the true costs to the government (i.e. infrastructure, internal R&D and other support functions such as tracking and data retrieval)
• The price of a launch is only one of many considerations for a commercial launch (others are: Reliability, Risks, On-time guarantees, Re-flight options, Insurance, etc.)
• There are many different destinations in space that require vehicles with different capabilities for: LEO, MEO, GEO orbits, and deep space probes
•Different planes and inclinations
•Varying Size (weight) of payloads
• Each payload and customer generally requires customized services
• Demand for launches is derived from the various uses of space technologies that can range from telecommunications to Earth observations
• Many vehicles that compete commercially are marketed through nations such as America, France, Russia Ukraine and China that are historically non-market economies

The PSLV Success Story
The Impact on Commerce & International Cooperation using PSLV Launch Vehicle

The Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle or (PSLV) is the 'work-horse' rocket of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). The amount of revenue earned by this vehicle is significant considering that the commercial arm of ISRO, Antrix had until Dec 2015 earned revenue of US $ 17.7 Million and Euro 79.98 Million by launching 51 satellites from 20 countries. The trend is expected to continue with Antrix likely to earn revenue of US $ 4.54 Million and Euro 63.91 Million by launching 25 satellites from 7 countries during the period 2015-2017. With regards to enhancing national pride and furthering international cooperation, ISRO with its PSLV has a track record of 30 successive flight successes and a proven capability to carry out different types of missions [viz., Low-Earth Orbit – low inclination to Sun-Synchronous; Sub-Geo-Synchronous Transfer Orbit (Sub-GTO); Geo-synchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO)] and also with ability to launch multiple satellites in a single mission, has emerged as one of the most competitive and reliable launch service providers in the world.
However, the distinguishing aspect is the cost. India’s PSLV is far cheaper at around $ 15 Million as opposed to the US’ Minotaur launch that cost a whopping $ 28.8 Million. On similar lines, the approximate cost of a single Dnepr launch ranges between US$24 and US$30 million. India aims at further reducing the cost of launch and with regards to both the US and Russia, the costs are only expected to rise. At half the price, India already presents a great opportunity to the world that would only get better once the prices are slashed further. Further, the Russian-Ukrainian Dnepr rocket program, which captured a significant share of the small satellite launch market over the last 15 years, has been halted by deteriorating relations between the those two nations. The relations are not expected to change overnight and hence India could do well to ride purposefully on the advantage.
The opportunities are not lost on foreign players also; for instance companies like Spaceflight Industries, a Seattle-based firm that arranges ride share launch opportunities for small satellites, convinced the U.S. government to grant waivers for U.S. satellites to launch on PSLV missions starting last year.
The GSLV Equation

At present, ISRO has two launch vehicles, the four-stage PSLV for placing satellites in polar orbit and the three stage GSLV to place satellites in the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO). The latter is heavier, more powerful, has a higher payload capacity and costs about US$32 million to launch, nearly double that of PSLV.
The cost of launching satellites has come down dramatically in recent years thanks to the emergence of India as a significant player in space and related technologies.ISRO, the country’s premier space body which launched its Mars mission, is now working on slashing rates even further, as it develops new technology to meet future challenges.
Many countries that do not possess the technology to launch satellites, and were earlier dependent on American or Russian agencies, are now looking to ISRO. The Indian agency is now building a smaller launcher that will cost 40 per cent less than existing ones to orbit satellites into space.
According to ISRO officials, both the vehicles are built on the same platform. They have several common components and the fuel used to fire them is also the same, barring the cryogenic stage in the GSLV. This has helped in containing costs to some extent. With the global launch industry being competitive, ISRO has been cutting costs. It has, for instance, started using indigenous materials like aluminum and titanium alloys to rein in the costs.
Air-Breathing Engines

ISRO GSLV Mk-III Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle

ISRO is also in the process of developing air-breathing engines, which will use atmospheric oxygen and burn it with the stored on-board fuel for producing the forward thrust; in contrast, conventional chemical rocket systems carry both oxygen and fuel on-board. The air-breathing systems will be much lighter and more efficient, leading to reduced overall costs.
ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Center, is looking at reducing the number of fuel stages to cut the launch cost. “GSLV’s Mark III will have reduced fuel stage, cutting costs significantly,” he notes. The launch vehicle is being designed to carry a 4-tonne payload and is expected to cost half of what GSLV costs now.
Modular Approach & Tech Improvements
The other cost-reduction strategy is to go in for modular assembling of vehicles. At present, ISRO sources components and assembles them. What is being planned is to source assembled components from vendors so that ISRO makes the launch vehicles faster.
ISRO is also improving avionics by upgrading processors. While it uses Motorola’s processors at present, it has developed a new one called Vikram. More than the cost savings, indigenous chip designing is of strategic interest. ISRO is also constructing another launch control center (probably in Tamilnadu) to reduce the cycle time for launches. It already has two launch pads at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.

Conclusion

ISRO now plans to build custom-made rockets for low-cost launches. The new launcher would take around six months to build. The low-cost launcher will be lighter than earlier versions, as it will not have the six first-stage solid propellant strap-on motors, which will lower costs significantly. It will also save 400 kg of propellant in the fourth stage.

The cost-cutting measures include reducing the number of fuel stages in a vehicle, use of new engine-air breathing engine and using cheaper fuel and modular assembling.
The cost-effective solutions that ISRO is working on will ultimately bring down the cost of launching satellites, attracting many other space and research agencies from around the world to utilize space on its rockets. As these technologies have been incorporated in the GSLV Mk-2 vehicle, ISRO’s launch capabilities will come to the fore after the successful launch of this vehicle this month. For ISRO, there is enough room for growth and the only limit is the sky. (With inputs from the works of Wg Cdr Kiran Krishnan Nair Research Fellow, CAPS, Henry R. Hertzfeld, Ray A. Williamson & Nicolas Peter - Space policy Institute)

Admin - IDN
http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/08/idn-take-why-upcoming-gslv-mk-2-launch.html

Prashant12

Country flag
ISRO Plans Return to Mars with Mangalyaan 2.0

The next Mars mission will likely be launched in March 2018, have a less elliptical orbit around the red planet and could weigh seven times more than the first mission.[/SIZE]

An image of Mars taken by the Colour Camera onboard MOM-1 from a height of 8,449 km. Credit: ISRO

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) wants to return to Mars with a second Mars Orbiter Mission. It has published an ‘announcement of opportunity’ on its website soliciting proposals from institutions around India of the scientific studies that the orbiter could undertake. The mission will likely be launched in March 2018, when Earth and Mars become optimally aligned again in their orbits around the Sun for a craft to journey between them using a fuel-saving manoeuvre. However, no date has been officially announced.

The following is an annotation of the announcement with the relevant details.

The geomorphological features on Mars suggests an early warm and wet climate, and perhaps conducive to the emergence of primitive life. Mars is considered to be unique as it has experienced processes similar to that existing on Earth during formation and its evolution. Recent discoveries have revealed that Mars possesses a record of diverse surfaces created as a result of geological processes occurring prior to 3 [billion years], and recent volcanism, weathering events during the last few 100 million years. This complete geological record is yet to be found on Moon or the Earth, and therefore new Mars missions provide an opportunity to address questions regarding planetary evolutionary processes, how and whether life arose elsewhere in the solar system, and the interplay between geological and possible biological history.

Previous orbiter and rover missions to Mars have provided direct evidence for the presence of hydrated minerals on the exposed surface and the presence of water ice at sub-surface regions. Existence of methane has been proposed from a few limited ground based and space based observations, but these are yet to be confirmed unambiguously.

ISRO’s first MOM (MOM-1), which got into orbit around Mars in September 2014, has been looking for signs of atmospheric methane while studying surface features – just like the NASA MAVEN mission that started operating around the same time. Methane is considered a biomarker: a substance whose presence indicates the current or historical presence of life. The American space agency’s Curiosity rover on the Martian surface has also been analysing minerals and dust, looking for signs of water as well as other biomarkers. These explorers will soon be joined by the Euro-Russian ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter, a satellite en route to Mars and which will closely study Mars’s atmospheric composition once it gets there.

The understanding of the [evolution over time] of the Martian atmosphere necessitates new measurements to quantify the loss of atmospheric water and carbon dioxide.

This loss has been driven by the solar wind, the stream of charged particles emerging from the Sun. As the particles flow past Mars’s atmosphere, they excite charged particles, which then get accelerated and shot into space. The NASA MAVEN mission has measured this rate to be 100 grams per second.

Future Mars missions are focusing on in situ surface/subsurface probing by landers and rovers, with orbiters continuing studies of Martian surface and sub-surface and also serving as continued communication link to Earth. An orbiter mission with focused science objectives can provide valuable global Mars science.

The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) has successfully demonstrated India’s technological capability for interplanetary exploration.

This was actually the mission’s primary objective. Studying the planet using its payload of scientific instruments was the secondary mission.

MOM carries five scientific payloads to study the Martian surface features, morphology, mineralogy and Martian atmosphere. Analysis of MOM data is under progress.

The last line is particularly relevant: since September 2014, only one scientific study based on MOM’s findings has been published in a peer-reviewed journal (in February 2016). While ISRO releases a squirt of photos taken by the orbiter of the red planet every now and then, information of no other discoveries – if any – is yet available in the public domain.

While it is commendable that the space organisation is doing what needs to be done to continue the Indian scientific community’s contribution to the interesting-as-ever study of Mars, the announcement for a MOM-2 is also important for what it says about the relevance of MOM-1’s findings. As mentioned earlier, MOM-1 was primarily a technology demonstrator while the science was secondary, so the delay in publishing results is not that acutely felt. MOM-2 won’t have this leeway.

In fact, the sooner some results are available, the easier it will be for ISRO to make decisions about future missions, their scientific agenda and payloads and, overall, the problems that the space organisation will be uniquely positioned to tackle in the longer term.

It is now planned to have the next orbiter mission around Mars for a future launch opportunity. Proposals are solicited from interested scientists within India for experiments onboard an orbiter mission around Mars (MOM-2), to address relevant scientific problems and topics.

The last date to submit proposals is September 6, 2016. The Hindu reported that a “total picture of the mission” will likely be available closer to the presentation of the 2017 union budget.

This “Announcement of Opportunity (AO)” is addressed to all institutions in India currently involved in planetary exploration studies/the development of science instruments for space. This orbiter mission will facilitate scientific community to address the open science problems. The Principal Investigator of the proposal should be (i) able to provide necessary details of the instrument which can address the scientific problems and (ii) capable to bring together the instrument team and lead the team for developing a space qualified instrument.

The payload capability of the proposed satellite is likely to be 100kg…

To compare, MOM-1’s payload of instruments weighed a grand total of about 14 kg. So a 100-kilogram’s worth of instruments will well-widen the scope of studies and quality of observations that MOM-2 will be able to undertake. A flipside is that launching a 100-kg satellite will require ISRO to use the heavier GSLV rocket – and the GSLV rockets haven’t yet proved themselves reliable, nowhere near as reliable as the PSLV-class rocket that launched MOM-1. So ISRO will also have to focus on getting a reliable GSLV rocket in place.

… and 100W.

This is an oddity. MOM-1 was equipped with three power panels generating a total of 840 watts to power its instruments. MOM-2 should have a power supply of at least 1,000 watts. The ‘100W’ mentioned in the announcement is thought to be a typo.

However final values are to be tuned based on the final configuration. The apoarion of the orbit is expected to be around 5000 km.

The apoareaon is the highest point of an orbit around Mars. MOM-1, which is in a highly elliptical orbit, currently has an apoareon of ~77,000 km. An apoareon of 5,000 km for MOM-2 implies a much more circular orbit, in turn setting the context in which prospective investigators can think about what kind of science can be done.

http://thewire.in/58415/mars-orbiter-isro-planetary/

Akask kumar

ISRO Plans Return to Mars with Mangalyaan 2.0

The next Mars mission will likely be launched in March 2018, have a less elliptical orbit around the red planet and could weigh seven times more than the first mission.
less elliptical ,, means it will carry more fuel and seven times heavy clearly no rover.. This seems to be a just an orbital mission..

but as per another news MOM 2 was in 2020.. in 2018 our scientist will be busy with their chandrayaan 2..

i hope this article is wrong..

@Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
less elliptical ,, means it will carry more fuel and seven times heavy clearly no rover.. This seems to be a just an orbital mission..

but as per another news MOM 2 was in 2020.. in 2018 our scientist will be busy with their chandrayaan 2..

i hope this article is wrong..

@Indx TechStyle
Well, not completely wrong.
Mission obviously can't take place in 2018 because of Cdy-2.

But I don't find anything in 7 times more mass.
  1. Dry mass of MOM - 1 stood less than 500 kg. But GSLV Mk3 (could have an enchanced capacity of 6 tonnes to GTO by 2020) can easily carry 3-3.5 tonnes to red planet.
  2. This is not mass of orbiter only. It's mass of orbiter and rover combined.
  3. Heavy mission is significant for me. On Chinese forum, they continuously say to me that unlike China's heavy satellites and space missions, India can launch only inferior light missions with lesser payload. This mission will shut their mouths.
  4. This post by @Prashant12 is not in correct thread. I will post at correct place.

Akask kumar

Well, not completely wrong.
Mission obviously can't take place in 2018 because of Cdy-2.

But I don't find anything in 7 times more mass.
  1. Dry mass of MOM - 1 stood less than 500 kg. But GSLV Mk3 (could have an enchanced capacity of 6 tonnes to GTO by 2020) can easily carry 3-3.5 tonnes to red planet.
  2. This is not mass of orbiter only. It's mass of orbiter and rover combined.
  3. Heavy mission is significant for me. On Chinese forum, they continuously say to me that unlike China's heavy satellites and space missions, India can launch only inferior light missions with lesser payload. This mission will shut their mouths.
  4. This post by @Prashant12 is not in correct thread. I will post at correct place.
dry mass of mom-1 is 480 kg -- 7 times will make it 3.3 tonnes -mom 2

i think this article went over the top calling MOM 2 to be 7 time heavy.. it made some wrong calculations.. following are some popular , recent satellite lauched to mars.. i am mentioning their dry mass and lauch mass

MRO - 1031 kg - 2180kg Periareion-426 km Apoareion-44500km inclination-93(degree)
MAVEN - 809 kg - 2454kg - Periareion-150km Apoareion -6200km inclination-75
Exomars-trace gas orbitter - 1432kg - 3732 kg..Periareion-400km Apoareion - 400 km inclination-75

MOM - 480kg-1300kg Periareion -420 km Apoareion-76993km inclination- 150

none of the misssions above had 3 tonne satellite as dry mass.. ya it can be its launch mass which includes the fuel..

following is the detail about spirit rover

spirit rover was 180 kg , and see the attachemnt for more detail regarding the mass.

spirit rover +lander +heatshield +parachute + fuel for landing = 1063 kg ~ 1 tonne..

the article said that MOM2 orbit will be less elliptical and its Apoareion ( farthest point in orbit)= 5000 km..
which make it similar to MAVEN satellite orbit.. which is near 3 tonne satellite ..

so this MOM 2 is a heavy satellite approx 1 toone dry mass and near 3 tonne lauch mass coz it will require lot of fuel to be in a less elliptical and closer to mars..
if u look at inclination of MOM its 150 degree ans rest of the satellite are on 70 degree inclination so ..lot of fuel..

now i think there will not by any space for a rover.. i wish ISRO quickly master the ion propulsion system to cut the weight of satellite in future missions of MOM 3.. MOM 3 will be the lander , i am sure now..

@Prashant12 @Anupu @sorcerer

Attachments

Global Defence

New threads

Articles