ISRO General News and Updates

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
My friend did some electronics for Chandrayan. Not that complicated either IMHO. Basics need to be perfect thats all.
Not everybody gets to do the sexy parts.
He quit ISRO and joined a multinational BTW.
And this right here is the problem. They are not able to retain talent as well. A complete relook at hiring and retention needs to be looked at. A professional HR with a business like management needs to be put in place. In India there is a competition for good talent. ISRO better start waking up to this challenge and scale quickly (assuming a certain attrition rate as well) or get left behind in the global space race.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
This is a good article about where the major space powers - US, Russia, Japan, China, India - stand. It talks about the relative positions now and how the future may look like.
Conclusion: ISRO needs to ramp up if it wants to be taken seriously in the fast changing international order. I see ISRO doin a lot more joint activities with Japan and the US.

So it is basically going to be US-India-Japan versus Russia-China game in space; with India getting caught between the US and Russian interests. ISRO is going to be faced with a lot of strategic challenges, competition, hunt for talent, need for more budget etc. They better have a very competent leadership team, unlike the present one. Times have changed -- the rise of an aggressive China has thwarted all previous relationship dynamics. We need to be very wise with our space goals.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO is provided good/descent budget then ISRO will be well ahead of chineze.

ISRO planned very high tech projects but our govt not supporting.
Just throwing budget doesn't bear you result. India's space exploration missions are a new thing started only 2000s and industrial capacity is even low. Sometimes in case of unusual issues like COVID-19 lockdowns, even existing budget goes unspent and returned. You give ISRO $5 billions, they won't be able to spend it. They would need to get more staff and build new facilities which would take years again.

The part of budget where ISRO suffers bureaucratic allocation like that of Gaganyaan which was too small in initial phase after 2018. As far as dreaming of competition with NASA, ESA, RFSA or CNSA is concerned, there is no alternative to construction of new spaceports and factories. And that takes time.

Mantospace

Country flag
Just throwing budget doesn't bear you result. India's space exploration missions are a new thing started only 2000s and industrial capacity is even low. Sometimes in case of unusual issues like COVID-19 lockdowns, even existing budget goes unspent and returned. You give ISRO $5 billions, they won't be able to spend it. They would need to get more staff and build new facilities which would take years again.

The part of budget where ISRO suffers bureaucratic allocation like that of Gaganyaan which was too small in initial phase after 2018. As far as dreaming of competition with NASA, ESA, RFSA or CNSA is concerned, there is no alternative to construction of new spaceports and factories. And that takes time.
If budget is provided surely will do it. No doubt about that.

vishnugupt

Country flag
More talent competition and danger for ISRO:

Having a competitive private sector never be a danger to any PSUs specially ISRO, in fact, it will help ISRO to speed up its research and projects significantly.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag
Having a competitive private sector never be a danger to any PSUs specially ISRO, in fact, it will help ISRO to speed up its research and projects significantly.
Frankly this remains to be seen. ISRO’s relations with private sector in the past has not been great like in the Dewas deal, especially when involving valuable IP. I am on a wait & watch mode on ISRO. The issue I have with ISRO is that I think their leadership is not great presently, and they are not transparent in areas where they could be. Hiding investigations and their reports sets off alarm bells. Plus they are not able to hire and retain talent - the biggest red flag an organization is not doing as well as it could be. But want to see if ISRO redeems itself now that a lot of people are vaccinated.

vishnugupt

Country flag
Frankly this remains to be seen. ISRO’s relations with private sector in the past has not been great like in the Dewas deal, especially when involving valuable IP. I am on a wait & watch mode on ISRO. The issue I have with ISRO is that I think their leadership is not great presently, and they are not transparent in areas where they could be. Hiding investigations and their reports sets off alarm bells. Plus they are not able to hire and retain talent - the biggest red flag an organization is not doing as well as it could be. But want to see if ISRO redeems itself now that a lot of people are vaccinated.
You yourself answered your question here. the competition will help to make things transparent.
I am very optimistic about ISRO. Things will surely change after the Pandemic.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
If budget is provided surely will do it. No doubt about that.
Facilities are already expanding with increasing budget.
Screenshot_20210714-151856_Chrome.jpg

Let me hand you over some 1000 cr. rupees and expect a mid-size space agency in an year. You can't even dream to do that. Facility implementation needs time, resources and research and even faces failures and delays.

Money is not a magical factor. ISRO's actual large scale space research projects started only in early 2000s and they have actually progressed quite fast as compared to other major space powers.
GTO sat launchers, extraterrestrial probes, advanced reconnaissance and infrastructure for human spaceflight in just two decades.
More talent competition and danger for ISRO
*More vendors for ISRO actually which possibly even can offload some of ISRO's COMSAT launch responsibilities. The same thing went on in US and ongoing in China.

ISRO anyway doesn't fall short of manpower. It is the institution where people compete to get a job in. At least in real world.

SavageKing456

Country flag
what happened to the SCE-200 engine?
Clustering of it is need to make LV's like falcon heavy cause i think sce would provide more thrust than merlin and thus more payload capacity,maybe?

mandestiny

Country flag
Facilities are already expanding with increasing budget.
View attachment 99773

Let me hand you over some 1000 cr. rupees and expect a mid-size space agency in an year. You can't even dream to do that. Facility implementation needs time, resources and research and even faces failures and delays.

Money is not a magical factor. ISRO's actual large scale space research projects started only in early 2000s and they have actually progressed quite fast as compared to other major space powers.
GTO sat launchers, extraterrestrial probes, advanced reconnaissance and infrastructure for human spaceflight in just two decades.

*More vendors for ISRO actually which possibly even can offload some of ISRO's COMSAT launch responsibilities. The same thing went on in US and ongoing in China.

ISRO anyway doesn't fall short of manpower. It is the institution where people compete to get a job in. At least in real world.
Money always played major role. If ISRO chief know i would able to get 5bn$ every year then surely will assign team to work on space stations/planetary missions/etc.

Issue is govt cant even assure ISRO that yeah you will get 5bn$ every year that what chief will do.

RoaringTigerHiddenDragon

Country flag

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
what happened to the SCE-200 engine?
Clustering of it is need to make LV's like falcon heavy cause i think sce would provide more thrust than merlin and thus more payload capacity,maybe?
Ground tests were scheduled to be by end of this year and an additional facility to test even bigger engines in India was being constructed in Mahendragiri.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles